Evacuees react to death of Concow resident in fire

The parking lots at Las Plumas High School were nearly full with RVs and cars; the school lawns were dotted with tents; and the gym was a hub of activity as fire evacuees from Concow, Yankee Hill, Paradise and ... Full Story
First Prev
of 4
Next Last
ranchergirl

Redding, CA

#1 Jul 12, 2008
I don't understand how people can think they will protect their own homes. The only way you can is by doing the expected clearance around your house. You can't protect it with a garden hose being fed by a well. A lot of the places in Concow are overgrown. The houses that are still standing are those that had the clearance around them. People need to take Cal Fires advice and clear around their homes.
sandy hankins

United States

#2 Jul 12, 2008
how dare these residents that are being evacuateed be angry ! how selfishcan you get ! let these wonderful and very hard working firefighters do there job ! I'm sure they know what they are doing !If these selfish and rude people refuse to leave their homes, I will not feel sorry for them if they are injured or killed ! howard neel of yankee hill should be ashamed of himself ! What kind of lesson is he teaching his daughter ! show some respect Mr. Neel !
zak smith

Chico, CA

#3 Jul 12, 2008
Fact: the man who died was not alerted by authorities. Fact: by the time residents 1 mile past the deceased were notified the fire had already swept through his area. Fact fire fighters started the back blaze that swept through concow. FACT: ALL OF CONCOW HAS BURNED WHICH IS WAY MORE THAN 50 HOMES. FACT: The people of concow have already begun the process for a class action lawsuit against cal-fire. we will be compensated for their idiocy.
zak smith

Chico, CA

#4 Jul 12, 2008
sandy hankins wrote:
how dare these residents that are being evacuateed be angry ! how selfishcan you get ! let these wonderful and very hard working firefighters do there job ! I'm sure they know what they are doing !If these selfish and rude people refuse to leave their homes, I will not feel sorry for them if they are injured or killed ! howard neel of yankee hill should be ashamed of himself ! What kind of lesson is he teaching his daughter ! show some respect Mr. Neel !
you obiousley have no idea what your talking about grow up. Get a life
ThePlague

Sacramento, CA

#5 Jul 12, 2008
zak smith wrote:
Fact: the man who died was not alerted by authorities. Fact: by the time residents 1 mile past the deceased were notified the fire had already swept through his area. Fact fire fighters started the back blaze that swept through concow. FACT: ALL OF CONCOW HAS BURNED WHICH IS WAY MORE THAN 50 HOMES. FACT: The people of concow have already begun the process for a class action lawsuit against cal-fire. we will be compensated for their idiocy.
FACT>
YOUR Nutzzzzzzz Zach ,serious dude ,You sayin the Fire wasnt threatening the whole area of concow.are you Blind and unable to smell.did the fire Not grow and move twords concow for days before the winds blew and cused the Crown fire that did the worst, was there any way they could stop it NO,homes that were lost in general were not protected by the owner from lack of clearance of weeds shrubs etc....Blaming any one else is MORONIC and Ignorant.Fact look at the video on the local news the fires burning in grass 2 feet high 3 feet from the home the Poor firefighters couldnt save .WONDER WHY?.dont waste the tax payers money with any lawsuits agaisnt the HEROIC EFFORTS by the FireFighters.PS all you are doing is proving to us all that alot of Concow Residents are LowLIfe LOOOZERS,the others are Embarrased by you.
ThePlague

Sacramento, CA

#6 Jul 12, 2008
OBTW there were 70 homes burned in paradise ,you dont hear them saying such Idiotic B.S like you Are,
Steven

Sacramento, CA

#7 Jul 12, 2008
zak smith wrote:
<quoted text>you obiousley have no idea what your talking about grow up. Get a life
If you actually had insurance you wouldn't have to worry abot a lawsuit you're going to end up loosing.
Erik

Sacramento, CA

#8 Jul 12, 2008
ThePlague wrote:
OBTW there were 70 homes burned in paradise ,you dont hear them saying such Idiotic B.S like you Are,
Exactly, you don't hear the Neal Rd area folks whining and acting like morons. Obviously there are two differnt types of people between Concow and Paradise. Just take a look at the first time the residents were evacuated. They squatted at the dome store, trashed the place, drank all the alcohol and refused to leave. They claimed they didn't have fuel to leave, buses were brought in and still...they refused to leave. Face it, you live in a matchbox that was going to burn eventually. It has burned in the past and it will burn again in the future. Clear your property...if there is nothing there to burn, the outcome will be much better.
David S

Sacramento, CA

#10 Jul 12, 2008
Ed Nemechek wrote:
I feel compelled to comment about these fires that are being allowed to run rampant and will manifest themselves in SoCal this year (as usual) if we don't effectively demand that the fire agencies (CalFire and USFS)use the Supertanker waterbomber aircraft to stop the fires IN THE BEGINNING of the fires instead of allowing them to go out of control as is now happening. To this end WE MUST ALSO ORGANIZE LEGAL DEFENSE COMMITTEES to FORCE the fire agencies to put out these California fires. It occurs to me, after numerous futile communications with CalFire officials, that our only recourse as citizens being victimized by the apparent deliberate FAILURE, of CalFire and the U.S. Forest Service (see: JBS.org (search wildfire), to put out our wildfires NOW and over the past many years by their consistent REFUSAL to use the many Supertanker firefighting aircraft (of 11,000 to over 20,000 gallons water capacity each) at their disposal now and then,- IS TO SUE CalFire AND THE U.S. FOREST SERVICE (and the responsible officials) for criminal malfeasance and deliberate dereliction of duty. According to news reports, it worked for the home owners in Los Alamos NM.(over $150 million judgment in their favor) when they were burned out by a wildfire that the U.S. Forest Service STARTED as a "controlled burn" and then refused to allow Supertankers in to put it out. As someone who almost lost my home and family in one of these wildfires facilitated by our own fire agencies, I'm outraged, as everyone should be, and I don't intend to take this apparently deliberate arson and murder for profit by the fire agencies anymore -and no one else should continue to take it either. We must organize LEGAL DEFENSE COMMITTEES ( ednemechek@verizon.net)
to recover damages and initiate investigations into the conduct of our top fire officials and their political cronies with the intent to prosecute the guilty (of which I feel there are many). Again I wish to urge everyone to remember that there are 7 Supertanker aircraft available NOW that CalFire and USFS are NOT using (5 of them have been available for over 14 years) see: waterbomber.org and evergreen supertanker on the internet.--WHAT MORE INFORMATION DO YOU NEED?-Ed Nemechek.( ednemechek@verizon.net)
Ed, I have been working for 35 straight days and would love to go home. Like we really want the fires to keep burning. Are you just an idiot or what? Remember that when the lightning fires started there were nearly 400 fires in Northern California alone! Like having a few supertankers in the air would make a difference. Also, due to the IFR conditions the aircraft cannot fly because of visibility. Do you even know anything about flying aircraft? Many of the fires make heavy runs at night with the prominent down-canyon winds...another time aircraft can't fly.
So sick of Zac

Magalia, CA

#11 Jul 12, 2008
Once again Zac spews nonsense. He is a whack job. Hey, Zac- did your place in Concow survive?
David S

Sacramento, CA

#12 Jul 12, 2008
So sick of Zac wrote:
Once again Zac spews nonsense. He is a whack job. Hey, Zac- did your place in Concow survive?
Agreed!
Zak you are an idiot

Chico, CA

#13 Jul 12, 2008
Your parents must be so proud
Yankee Hill-Big Bend

Barnesville, OH

#14 Jul 12, 2008
Hwy 70 was closed to traffic going in, but it was ok to leave to go to work, however you couldn't go back home. I asked the CHP/they said there was no "mandatory" evacuation. So I didn't leave. But if mandatory evacuation was ON, then allegedly they go door to door looking for people. Supposedly in Concow they were surprised to find the deceased person who had already previously evacuated twice. It was very sad to see the loss of homes, no matter where they are located. Defensible space around the house is probably the best bet, although it is no guarantee. If someone wants to file a class action, etc, that is up to them. They are quite expensive and attorneys don't do them unless they are very sure of winning.
ThePlague

Sacramento, CA

#15 Jul 12, 2008
David S wrote:
<quoted text>
Ed, I have been working for 35 straight days and would love to go home. Like we really want the fires to keep burning. Are you just an idiot or what? Remember that when the lightning fires started there were nearly 400 fires in Northern California alone! Like having a few supertankers in the air would make a difference. Also, due to the IFR conditions the aircraft cannot fly because of visibility. Do you even know anything about flying aircraft? Many of the fires make heavy runs at night with the prominent down-canyon winds...another time aircraft can't fly.
Hope you get Time off and XTRA PAY FOR YOUR HARD WORK<>
ThePlague

Sacramento, CA

#16 Jul 12, 2008
Even tho theres so many loozers in the Burn area we stil will be Helping them out.We are human after all.
Rosa

Oroville, CA

#17 Jul 12, 2008
Question, how can any one in their right mind begin to think that the fire fighters were negligent??

Wind changes, weather forecasts cannot predict everything.

Firefighters deserve the utmost respect and thanks, they are risking their lives everyday.

So, whiners - give it up already. And everyone else, shake the hand of a fire fighter and say thankyou
Stoner Dude

Chico, CA

#19 Jul 12, 2008
oh no. Concowy wowie shortage this year
Think Clearly

Sacramento, CA

#20 Jul 12, 2008
There are many things we can say but the facts are the facts. Homes were lost and injury and death have occurred. I don't agree with the blame game. I lived there for most of my life and I know that winds come and go, mostly at night, so blaming firefighters is not the route to take. It is sad for all people involved when homes and lives are lost. About the people, I don't find it fair once again to start calling each other names. People are people and each deal with stress differently. Thirdly, fire retardant is not always the greatest thing either, It has been found in womens breat milk and in people's bodies. That is not good. The fire fighters are doing their job and we should all do ours by helping those in need and supporting the efforts to get them put out. The one's who do try sueing will bare that cross themselves.
Grateful

San Ramon, CA

#21 Jul 12, 2008
Think Clearly wrote:
There are many things we can say but the facts are the facts. Homes were lost and injury and death have occurred. I don't agree with the blame game. I lived there for most of my life and I know that winds come and go, mostly at night, so blaming firefighters is not the route to take. It is sad for all people involved when homes and lives are lost. About the people, I don't find it fair once again to start calling each other names. People are people and each deal with stress differently. Thirdly, fire retardant is not always the greatest thing either, It has been found in womens breat milk and in people's bodies. That is not good. The fire fighters are doing their job and we should all do ours by helping those in need and supporting the efforts to get them put out. The one's who do try sueing will bare that cross themselves.
Thank you for your wisdom. It's done much to refresh my spirit.
Unlimited thanks to the firefighters and all who have contributed positively. My prayers & condolences to all who are enduring this grievous situation.
God Guns n Flag

United States

#22 Jul 12, 2008
The hand of Man cannot stop the fire. Only God has the power to stop it. It is punishment for Sin. We must repent, pray for forgiveness, accept Jesus Christ Lord as our Saviour, and accept the Holy Will as truth inviolate. Look into the fire and see the Hell that awaits all in sin who rebel against God.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Oroville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Laser treatment that tackles toenail fungus ava... (Jan '09) Dec 12 Gary Puntman 165
Police Shooting on April 28 / victim Victor Col... (May '14) Dec 6 Retired Law 2
School Closings: Port Huron, Marysville (Feb '08) Nov 25 hpallett 11
Men injured in Oroville shooting Nov 24 deborahughes 1
Oroville super Walmart project appeals consider... (Dec '10) Nov '14 mikmax 73
Historic Bridge Part of the Virginia Turnpike T... (Apr '14) Nov '14 American Gentlema... 2
Butte vows to defy unfunded mandates: Superviso... (Feb '09) Nov '14 backyard223 22
Oroville Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web

Oroville People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Oroville News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Oroville

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]

NFL Latest News

Updated 2:34 pm PST