Judge overturns California's ban on same-sex marriage

Aug 4, 2010 Full story: www.cnn.com 201,187

A federal judge in California has knocked down the state's voter-approved ban on same-sex marriage, ruling Wednesday that the state's controversial Proposition 8 violates the U.S. Constitution.

Full Story
suzanne henderson

El Dorado Hills, CA

#210770 Aug 18, 2013
RiccardoFire wrote:
<quoted text>How is joining an anti-gay hate group supposed to show the Christian love and tolerance for gay people? Do you want to draw the gay community closer or further away from God?
This organization is against gay marriage, not gays as people. They do not agree with homosexual activity at all, but they are trying to help gays if they can and many of them have left the gay community and have become Christians and have families now and are happy campers. Look up on your search "NOT BORN THAT WAY" and you will see testimonies of ex-gays and what a Blessing that they came out of their sin the same way we do and that is any Sin that is defined in Scripture Galatians Chapter 5. We are not against anybody, but we are only here to help people get on track and have a better life. As I said before, you do not have to belong to any Church to have a relationship with Christ. We have regular Bible Studies (no money involved) at our home sometimes and people come together to Worship God and learn how to help others. Jesus wants us to love and help people, but if they become Christians, he expects them to love him enough that they will OBEY HIS COMMANDMENTS. If we gave up our sins, why is it that the homosexuals feel that they can still be in their sins and God accepts their sins? You talk about being equal, God is more fair than anybody or anything ever, so he will equally save the homosexual the same way he saves us. Shall we sin that grace may abound? God forbid!!
sheesh

Great Falls, VA

#210771 Aug 18, 2013
Covert Stealth Ops wrote:
<quoted text>Can you learn to use a search engine?
I don't need to learn how to do something I'm already able to do. Now, can you learn to let someone else answer a question that was asked of them?

Since: Nov 12

Sacramento, CA

#210772 Aug 18, 2013
suzanne henderson wrote:
<quoted text>
When my husband and I had our Fellowship, we talked about possibly having gays coming to join us and we were fine with it, but as Jesus told the diciples that when they went out to teach people the Word of God and His plan of Salvation and if they did not receive their message, then dust your feet off and move on. I was approached by a friend of mine one time that was thinking possibly like you are thinking that I would never tolerate a gay, well she was deadly wrong, for she owned a restaurant that alot of gays came to and she liked them very much, but she was trying to follow Christ also, so she said to me, these gay men were leaving town and wanted my husband and I to join them for dinner because they felt that they had been so nice to them when they came into the restaurant, so she said, what would you do if you were in that situation (at the time, I felt like she may be trapping me), but to her surprise without hesitation on my part, I said that I would go if I could help them to learn more about Scripture so they would not sin anymore, but I would not go just to say goodby because they would probably never see them again. I really do not know what she actually did, but I think she thought that I would never talk to them and that was not true at all. We were all under sin at one time of our lives, but my husband and I made a committment to God through His Son Jesus and how will they know if we do not tell them? For Christ came for the lost!!
Why did you post all that and avoid my post? Here it is again. How is joining an anti-gay hate group supposed to show the Christian love and tolerance for gay people? Do you want to draw the gay community closer or further away from God? You act like gay people are dirty, filth. Why don't you stop playing God and accept them? How can God accept you when you won't accept His creation?

Sacramento, CA

#210773 Aug 18, 2013
suzanne henderson wrote:
<quoted text>
We believe if you do not give up your sin before your death, you will go to hell.
Are you sin free?

Sacramento, CA

#210774 Aug 18, 2013
suzanne henderson wrote:
<quoted text>
This organization is against gay marriage, not gays as people. They do not agree with homosexual activity at all, but they are trying to help gays if they can and many of them have left the gay community and have become Christians and have families now and are happy campers. Look up on your search "NOT BORN THAT WAY" and you will see testimonies of ex-gays and what a Blessing that they came out of their sin the same way we do and that is any Sin that is defined in Scripture Galatians Chapter 5. We are not against anybody, but we are only here to help people get on track and have a better life. As I said before, you do not have to belong to any Church to have a relationship with Christ. We have regular Bible Studies (no money involved) at our home sometimes and people come together to Worship God and learn how to help others. Jesus wants us to love and help people, but if they become Christians, he expects them to love him enough that they will OBEY HIS COMMANDMENTS. If we gave up our sins, why is it that the homosexuals feel that they can still be in their sins and God accepts their sins? You talk about being equal, God is more fair than anybody or anything ever, so he will equally save the homosexual the same way he saves us. Shall we sin that grace may abound? God forbid!!
It's a well known hate group. Helping is not the same as condemning. You don't help people by constantly telling them they are sinners and are going to hell. The group is against the rights of transgenders. You need to stop telling people it's wrong to be gay, that won't bring people closer to God. You are assuming being gay is a choice. What you are saying is wrong, Jesus doesn't want us to just love the so called good people, if you know Jesus, then you would know he came for the downtrodden, the sick...Jesus didn't say love the good people and if they don't follow you, then you can bash them and spit on them. When did I talk about being equal? Looking at women in lust is a sin, do you go to threads and condemn men for doing that?
sheesh

Brandywine, MD

#210775 Aug 18, 2013
veryvermilion wrote:
<quoted text>
Whoa... You really showed your cards on this one.
In order for someone to have a letter certifying one's sanity, it must have been in question at some point in one's life.
Were you hospitalized? Is that where you got your "letter"? What kind of behavior were you exhibiting before you received your "letter"? You must have been frightening someone.
It isn't his material. He swiped that line. Most likely it was from the Big Bang Theory. Originality isn't his strong suit.
suzanne henderson

El Dorado Hills, CA

#210776 Aug 18, 2013
papo wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh stop it with with all this. Its all good most of us understand. I can't imagine your husband not cheating on you. You think your so perfect and sin free. Your no better than anyone here.
My husband and I are not perfect, only saved by Grace, but my husband and I have never cheated, for there is not any reason to cheat when you have love for one another. Actually, anyone that even says what you said really does not know the Love of God at all. If you knew what God's Love really was, you would really be ashamed to even think such a thing. Not all people in the world have a mind like yours, but you know what? God can forgive you also even with that type of attitude, for he loved you so much that he was willing to have His Son Sacrificed for you and if you had been the only person on earth, he would have died for you. God's Love is so pure and forgiving that you feel free inside and we do not Sin because we think of God when we are tempted and this is Satans work in the world is to try and tempt people, but we do not listen to Satan like Jesus said "Get behind me". You can live this life if you would surrender your life to Christ. Someday you are going to have a crisis in your life like everybody does and when that day comes, will you be able to deny Christ when there will be nothing left but death? This is a question that everybody will have to answer, like myself had to answer, but my husband and I chose life and we have had a better life together with Christ in our lives than we could have ever thought we would have. We tell people that because they do not know that they will be here tomorrow, that "TODAY IS THE DAY OF SALVATION". I hope that you ponder this in your heart.
sheesh

Owings Mills, MD

#210777 Aug 18, 2013
suzanne henderson wrote:
<quoted text>
I wrote a letter a few minutes ago and I must have gone over the time limit or something and it did not go through. My husband and I have lots to say about your questions, but we both feel that because we are fairly new on this forum, we really do not know you and we will not argue the Bible, so if you are asking because you really want to know what God through His Son has taught us through our journey in 55 years or is it that you are just trying to get us in a argument? We have lots of information that we have learned that we may be of some help, but as I said before, we are very busy people and do have the time to be writing back and forth for the sake of arguing and that is what in our opinions that most of this forum is. I still do believe that there is someone out there in time that perhaps we may be able to help. If you would sincerely like to continue this conversation, we would be more than happy to answer all that you have asked. Thank you.
I am reasonably certain I gave you this recommendation before, but I'll repeat it anyway. When you are replying on topix it is wise to compose your reply on something like Microsoft word before you bring up the reply window. That way all you need to do is copy and paste it to the window and hit the button. That way if topix does deep six it you still have a copy and can make a second attempt at posting the same thing. This makes life easier.
kookaa

Long Beach, CA

#210779 Aug 18, 2013
sheesh wrote:
<quoted text>
I am reasonably certain I gave you this recommendation before, but I'll repeat it anyway. When you are replying on topix it is wise to compose your reply on something like Microsoft word before you bring up the reply window. That way all you need to do is copy and paste it to the window and hit the button. That way if topix does deep six it you still have a copy and can make a second attempt at posting the same thing. This makes life easier.
\
If you're typing a reply that is SOOO long it needs to be "composed" in Word before posting it, it is TOO DAM LONG. Shorten it up, fools.
sheesh

Rockville, VA

#210780 Aug 18, 2013
kookaa wrote:
<quoted text>\
If you're typing a reply that is SOOO long it needs to be "composed" in Word before posting it, it is TOO DAM LONG. Shorten it up, fools.
I've had short replies disappear.
papo

Santa Ana, CA

#210781 Aug 18, 2013
suzanne henderson wrote:
<quoted text>
My husband and I are not perfect, only saved by Grace, but my husband and I have never cheated, for there is not any reason to cheat when you have love for one another. Actually, anyone that even says what you said really does not know the Love of God at all. If you knew what God's Love really was, you would really be ashamed to even think such a thing. Not all people in the world have a mind like yours, but you know what? God can forgive you also even with that type of attitude, for he loved you so much that he was willing to have His Son Sacrificed for you and if you had been the only person on earth, he would have died for you. God's Love is so pure and forgiving that you feel free inside and we do not Sin because we think of God when we are tempted and this is Satans work in the world is to try and tempt people, but we do not listen to Satan like Jesus said "Get behind me". You can live this life if you would surrender your life to Christ. Someday you are going to have a crisis in your life like everybody does and when that day comes, will you be able to deny Christ when there will be nothing left but death? This is a question that everybody will have to answer, like myself had to answer, but my husband and I chose life and we have had a better life together with Christ in our lives than we could have ever thought we would have. We tell people that because they do not know that they will be here tomorrow, that "TODAY IS THE DAY OF SALVATION". I hope that you ponder this in your heart.
You really think you have it made right? What, all of a sudden you can save people from sin and put in a good word for us with god? Who do you think you are? Maybe I should call the Vatican and let them know we have a saint here at Topix. I believe God him self put us here on earth his creation, to enjoy. To acknowledge him as the creator of all of this and to have faith in him I want to say we should be good. Don't worry Suzanne its ok he knows we sin and that we are not perfect. Live life be happy it'll be all right.
suzanne henderson

El Dorado Hills, CA

#210782 Aug 18, 2013
RiccardoFire wrote:
<quoted text>It's a well known hate group. Helping is not the same as condemning. You don't help people by constantly telling them they are sinners and are going to hell. The group is against the rights of transgenders. You need to stop telling people it's wrong to be gay, that won't bring people closer to God. You are assuming being gay is a choice. What you are saying is wrong, Jesus doesn't want us to just love the so called good people, if you know Jesus, then you would know he came for the downtrodden, the sick...Jesus didn't say love the good people and if they don't follow you, then you can bash them and spit on them. When did I talk about being equal? Looking at women in lust is a sin, do you go to threads and condemn men for doing that?
We may not respond to you anymore because we are not sure what your intent is. We do try, but we feel because all of you seem to have Bibles that you are quoting from, the Holy Spirit is the teacher, so why ask us anyway? That is found in First John 2:27.

I will leave you with something that may help your journey and it has been more than a Blessing to us and that is a book that was a debate in April 1829. The book is "THE EVIDENCES OF CHRISTIANITY" and the debaters were Alexander Campbell the Christian and Robert Owen, the Athiest. It is well worth reading, but you may have to find it on the internet because the last time I tried to buy one, it was not available anymore. This was probably the best debate on Christianity that has ever been. There was a big crowd of people that came to this debate and when it was over, Alexander Campbell had overwhelmingly got the votes in his favor. They had the crowd stand for Alexander Campbell or Robert Owen. For those who believed Alexander Campbell, all stood up, but 3 and those were in favor of Robert Owen. Mr. Campbell was a genius and my husband has used some of the material from this book in many times in our discussions in our Home Bible Studies.

May you find what you are looking for and May the Lord help you find it.
suzanne henderson

El Dorado Hills, CA

#210783 Aug 18, 2013
papo wrote:
<quoted text>
You really think you have it made right? What, all of a sudden you can save people from sin and put in a good word for us with god? Who do you think you are? Maybe I should call the Vatican and let them know we have a saint here at Topix. I believe God him self put us here on earth his creation, to enjoy. To acknowledge him as the creator of all of this and to have faith in him I want to say we should be good. Don't worry Suzanne its ok he knows we sin and that we are not perfect. Live life be happy it'll be all right.
As I have said before, you misquote me and do not know what you are talking about. As far as the Vatican, he has to get to heaven the same way we all do, for he has not got a edge in getting to heaven and neither do you. You are like all the rest of them that are harrassing me and you have a Bible, so please Study it so you will know what I am talking about.
EXPERT

Redding, CA

#210784 Aug 18, 2013
suzanne henderson wrote:
<quoted text>
We may not respond to you anymore because we are not sure what your intent is. We do try, but we feel because all of you seem to have Bibles that you are quoting from, the Holy Spirit is the teacher, so why ask us anyway? That is found in First John 2:27.
I will leave you with something that may help your journey and it has been more than a Blessing to us and that is a book that was a debate in April 1829. The book is "THE EVIDENCES OF CHRISTIANITY" and the debaters were Alexander Campbell the Christian and Robert Owen, the Athiest. It is well worth reading, but you may have to find it on the internet because the last time I tried to buy one, it was not available anymore. This was probably the best debate on Christianity that has ever been. There was a big crowd of people that came to this debate and when it was over, Alexander Campbell had overwhelmingly got the votes in his favor. They had the crowd stand for Alexander Campbell or Robert Owen. For those who believed Alexander Campbell, all stood up, but 3 and those were in favor of Robert Owen. Mr. Campbell was a genius and my husband has used some of the material from this book in many times in our discussions in our Home Bible Studies.
May you find what you are looking for and May the Lord help you find it.
Just an FYI for your next Home Bible Study to share,

The Holy Spirit has spoken to me thru you, thanks and don't stop sharing.

Do remember, they hated Him before they hated you...so you are going to real popular in here...

Since: Dec 09

Knoxville, TN

#210788 Aug 19, 2013
Pietro Armando wrote:
<quoted text>
From U.S. law.
“[T]he first purpose of matrimony, by the laws of nature and society, is procreation.” Baker v. Baker, 13 Cal. 87, 103 (1859).“he procreation of children under the shield and sanction of the law” is one of the “two principal ends of marriage.” Sharon v. Sharon, 75 Cal. 1 (1888)(quoting Stewart on Marriage and Divorce, sec. 103.“Procreation, if not the sole, is at least an important, reason for the existence of the marriage relation.” Davis v. Davis, 106 A. 644, 645 (N.J. Ch. Div. 1919).“The great end of matrimony is ... the procreation of a progeny having a legal title to maintenance by the father.” Laudo v. Laudo, 197 N.Y.S. 396, 397 (App. Div. 1919); Poe v. Gerstein, 517 F.2d 787, 796 (5th Cir. 1975)(“[P]rocreation of offspring could be considered one of the major purposes of marriage....”); Singer v. Hara, 522 P.2d 1187, 1195 (Wash. App. 1974)(“[M]arriage exists as a protected legal institution primarily because of societal values associated with the propagation of the human race.”); Baker v. Nelson, 191 N.W.2d 185, 186 (Minn. 1971), appeal dismissed for want of a substantial federal question, 409 U.S. 810 (1972)(“The institution of marriage as a union of man and woman, uniquely involving the procreation and rearing of children within a family, is as old as the book of Genesis.”); Heup v. Heup, 172 N.W.2d 334, 336 (Wis. 1969)(“Having children is a primary purpose of marriage.”); Zoglio v. Zoglio, 157 A.2d 627, 628 (D.C. App. 1960)(“One of the primary purposes of matrimony is procreation.”); Frost v. Frost, 181 N.Y.S.2d 562, 563 (Supr. Ct. New York Co. 1958)(discussing “one of the primary purposes of marriage, to wit, the procreation of the human species.”); Ramon v. Ramon, 34 N.Y.S. 2d 100, 108 (Fam. Ct. Div. Richmond Co. 1942)(“The procreation of off-spring under the natural law being the object of marriage, its permanency is the foundation of the social order.”); Stegienko v. Stegienko, 295 N.W. 252, 254 (Mich. 1940)(stating that “procreation of children is one of the important ends of matrimony”); Gard v. Gard, 169 N.W. 908, 912 (Mich. 1918)(“It has been said in many of the cases cited that one of the great purposes of marriage is procreation.”); Lyon v. Barney, 132 Ill. App. 45, 50 (1907)(“[T]he procreating of the human species is regarded, at least theoretically, as the primary purpose of marriage ...”); Grover v. Zook, 87 P.638, 639 (Wash. 1906)(“One of the most important functions of wedlock is the procreation of children.”); Adams v. Howerton, 486 F. Supp. 1119, 1124 (C.D. Cal. 1980), aff’d 673 F.2d 1036 (9th Cir. 1982)(observing that a “state has a compelling interest in encouraging and fostering procreation of the race”);
1.) When listing a series of opinions, maybe consider taking the time to list them as bullet points.

2.) So, all of the children born outside of wedlock aren't children? What are they?

“KiMare'a the Monster Mutation”

Since: Nov 10

Location hidden

#210789 Aug 19, 2013
If you want to claim that;
~ Gay unions are 'natural'.
~ Gay unions are the same as marriage.

1. Why is there then not one similar example of a proportionate presence of gay 'marriage' in even ONE culture from start to finish of the culture's existence like marriage has?
2. Why is there then not one similar example of the acceptance of gay 'marriage' in even ONE culture from the start to finish of the culture's existence like marriage has?
3. Why is there not one geographical location, where gay 'marriage' established a foothold, held and spread like marriage did?
4. There is historical evidence of a brief and rare presence of gay 'marriage' in a few cultures, but they NEVER took root and spread. Why?
5. In fact, there is also historical evidence that even when gay 'marriage' did begin to show up, it was resisted.

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
Big D

Modesto, CA

#210790 Aug 19, 2013
KiMare wrote:
If you want to claim that;
~ Gay unions are 'natural'.
~ Gay unions are the same as marriage.
1. Why is there then not one similar example of a proportionate presence of gay 'marriage' in even ONE culture from start to finish of the culture's existence like marriage has?
2. Why is there then not one similar example of the acceptance of gay 'marriage' in even ONE culture from the start to finish of the culture's existence like marriage has?
3. Why is there not one geographical location, where gay 'marriage' established a foothold, held and spread like marriage did?
4. There is historical evidence of a brief and rare presence of gay 'marriage' in a few cultures, but they NEVER took root and spread. Why?
5. In fact, there is also historical evidence that even when gay 'marriage' did begin to show up, it was resisted.
And yet there are many many cultures that could say all that for slavery

Just because something was true in the past, doesn't make it a good thing
Anonymous

Vallejo, CA

#210791 Aug 19, 2013
Why politician says gay people should not be allowed to marry
'They don't face each other during sex'
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/ameri...
julianna mungo

Sonoma, CA

#210792 Aug 19, 2013
suzanne henderson wrote:
<quoted text>
Bless You! You have captured the very essence of the church of the Sepulchre and the Scriptures. You and We Who Know do not let the shadows overtake you. Bless You. The true believer knows that all others who refrain from complete commitment and who do not bow down to the Lord are indeed the offal in the slaughterhouse of life and they are stench and vile and ghastly and deserving not at all of compassion or mercy for they are cursed because they are not as we are and we are as God has made us, which then means that they who are not as we are as they are made that way by Satan. We cannot tolerate this, He has said unto us; Go Forth and Strike Down All Such Sinners that Ye Shall Know Them. Do unto others before they do unto you, and cleanse the path for the righteous. BLESS YOU.
Big D

Modesto, CA

#210793 Aug 19, 2013
Rocky Hudsony wrote:
<quoted text>
Sure, sure... inflation, presence of lead in water, poor management of financial stress, hoarding, trade deficit, and division of empire paved a way for successful Germanic invasions by German tribes, which eventually led to the fall of Rome. All sorts of pesky issues...
Not just your pet pony....
I am well aware of that, I did not say it was the cause.

My point was I can easily make the case that Christianity was the cause as they can make any other single thing as the cause, which they consistently do

I don’t for a moment think that is actually the case. But it makes as much sense as what they preach ( which is no sense at all )

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Oroville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Laser treatment that tackles toenail fungus ava... (Jan '09) Dec 12 Gary Puntman 165
Police Shooting on April 28 / victim Victor Col... (May '14) Dec 6 Retired Law 2
School Closings: Port Huron, Marysville (Feb '08) Nov '14 hpallett 11
Men injured in Oroville shooting Nov '14 deborahughes 1
Oroville super Walmart project appeals consider... (Dec '10) Nov '14 mikmax 73
Historic Bridge Part of the Virginia Turnpike T... (Apr '14) Nov '14 American Gentlema... 2
Butte vows to defy unfunded mandates: Superviso... (Feb '09) Nov '14 backyard223 22
Oroville Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web

Oroville People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Oroville News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Oroville

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]

NFL Latest News

Updated 5:19 pm PST