Judge overturns California's ban on same-sex marriage

Aug 4, 2010 | Posted by: Topix | Full story: www.cnn.com

A federal judge in California has knocked down the state's voter-approved ban on same-sex marriage, ruling Wednesday that the state's controversial Proposition 8 violates the U.S. Constitution.

Comments
168,981 - 169,000 of 200,669 Comments Last updated 1 hr ago
Frankie Rizzo

Union City, CA

#193679 May 29, 2013
Marram wrote:
<quoted text>
Your hater is showing, thatís it get all childish when your slapped down, biotch. Youíre nothing but a poser and a liar.
Wasn't my post. Check the location dummy. It was the gay troll from L.A.

Anyway, Danth's Law. You haven't slapped down anything except your little pud. You're a liar and a coward. You're also stupid.

Hope that helps.
Poles away

Covina, CA

#193680 May 29, 2013
May 29, 2013 Leave it to New York to mess things up, again.

Part-time workers at the city's Parks Department stripped and pole-danced at agency holiday parties in exchange for permanent jobs.

Several female staffers allege routine sexual harassment by their supervisors, according to complaints and texts under review by city investigators.

Like that's going to make a difference, the investigators were probably in on it from the beginning.

“Equality First”

Since: Jan 09

St. Louis, MO

#193681 May 29, 2013
Adam Mosh wrote:
It should just be contract law and marriage should be entirely based up to the individuals involved. It's none of the government's business who you are in a relationship with - it's just you, and the people you have a relationship with.
You say in one post that government should not be involved in marriage, and then you make the above claim. Who do you think enforces those contracts? It's government. And who becomes responsible to settle disputes if government is not involved? Who is responsible for the welfare of the children if government is not involved, and they are left without a family? I think you need to give this a lot more thought. We are an inter-dependent society, and our government must be involved, like it or not.
Fakes

Covina, CA

#193682 May 29, 2013
Looks like more video has once again spotlighted the lies surround the people and religion of Muslim's..

28/05/2013 / SAUDI ARABIA

Muslim follower and a Saudi official whips migrant worker with belt, whole thing is caught ON VIDEO.

Think of it, this is how they treat their hired help and WIVES, life is great in a MUSLIM country, NOT.
Big D

Modesto, CA

#193683 May 29, 2013
RalphB wrote:
<quoted text>
You say in one post that government should not be involved in marriage, and then you make the above claim. Who do you think enforces those contracts? It's government. And who becomes responsible to settle disputes if government is not involved? Who is responsible for the welfare of the children if government is not involved, and they are left without a family? I think you need to give this a lot more thought. We are an inter-dependent society, and our government must be involved, like it or not.
Correct
Statures

Covina, CA

#193684 May 29, 2013
"big d" is nothing more than a p I ss Ant.
Bruno

Westminster, CA

#193685 May 29, 2013
If SSM is so important, then why don't gays go to the states that have fallen under presure and get married. Just get is done and quit crying about it.

“equality for ALL means ALL”

Since: Jan 07

Fort Lauderdale FL

#193686 May 29, 2013
Big D wrote:
<quoted text>
Ya think?
It never ceases to amaze me how many people in this country, donít actually believe in the values of this country.
You are right, freedom and equality are more important
Exactly! Freedom and equality are not mere conveniences only to be dealt with in the absence of all other crises.
Big D

Modesto, CA

#193687 May 29, 2013
Tony C wrote:
<quoted text>
Exactly! Freedom and equality are not mere conveniences only to be dealt with in the absence of all other crises.
Oh yeah, they say they hate big government, but support a government that steps into your private life, trying to tell my daughters that the government gets to control their bodies, their own reproductive systems. Or one that tells you who you can marry and who you cant.

They call themselves conservatives, but I have never figured out exactly what it is they conserve, it isnít the environment, certainly not our nations finances, certainly not our nations values of freedom, justice and equality.

“KiMare'a the Monster Mutation”

Since: Nov 10

Location hidden

#193688 May 29, 2013
Adam Mosh wrote:
<quoted text>
Yep.
Why should anybody care? Heck, in Sparta women had to dress like boys when introduced to their husbands, because in Sparta, the state thought homosexuality was great - after all, you're more likely to fight more fiercely when your sexual partner's life was also at risk. Men just weren't used to women in that culture.
Hinduism mentions marriage, it's the oldest religion in the world that is still practiced. Of course, in that religion, widows were expected to commit suicide by throwing themselves on the funeral pyre.
Does this have anything to do with our nation today? No. Does this relate to the "debate" about gay marriage? No.
Marriage in all cultures was basically a social contract to create and raise children as near as I can tell historically. That kind of went out with the 1960's "sexual revolution" when single parent families suddenly became acceptable. If that's culturally OK today, then why even have state marriage at all? What purpose does it serve?
It's just a freaking word. Why homosexual couples want is the associated contract law - and they can all their union anything they please.
Just settle this STUPID ISSUE and move on.
OK, I'm nearly done ranting. Just this whole thing just totally vexes me. So tired of people trying to get the government in on EVERYTHING. When the government manages to balance their budget, then they might have the right to dictate to everybody what should and shouldn't be done in their PERSONAL lives - but to me, they are just a bunch of power hungry incompetents with a bunch of mewling babies screaming at it like it's a parent or something.
These group of morons distract you with a shiny object and you run with it while another trillion dollars is dropped down a hole to a bunch of criminals in the financial sector, and you don't even know it and you run with it for YEARS. The abortion "issue", the flag burning "issue", the school prayer "issue". blah blah blah blah blah.
But back to the vitally important issue of gay marriage again. Why does NFL MVP Adrian Peterson think about it? ANS: WHO CARES?
But it's in the "news".
Got any idea what bills are in Congress right now and how your representative plans to vote on them? Why that garbage doesn't belong in our media at all!!! Does it? Hey, can you even name ONE BILL that has been passed into law this year? Gee, that isn't covered in our "media". Guess that doesn't effect anybody in the US - why cover it?
Back to this important issue of Gay Marriage. What does Oprah think?
I think you have a fairly accurate view of society. What you are missing is the importance of each point. Children are the future of our culture. We are severely undermining their potential by these acts. There is no better place most often to raise children than in an intact family.

“KiMare'a the Monster Mutation”

Since: Nov 10

Location hidden

#193689 May 29, 2013
Tony C wrote:
<quoted text>
Smart people aren't threatened by such nonsense.
My husband and I are both called "husband." Neither of us are confused by that.
When kids have two Dads, they often differentiate (for the sake of being practical) much the same way they differentiate between what they call their Grandfathers, i.e. calling one "Dad" and the other "Pop," for example. Nobody is confused by that, either.
Raise your standards.
Duplicate husbands? An oxymoron.

Kids don't have two dads. Never. One may be the dad, but the other is always a default.

You aren't asking me to raise my standards, you are asking me to be stupid.
Big D

Modesto, CA

#193690 May 29, 2013
Bruno wrote:
If SSM is so important, then why don't gays go to the states that have fallen under presure and get married. Just get is done and quit crying about it.
Because this is the land of the free, and we will see equality and justice from one end of it to the other.

200 major businesses have petitioned the supreme court calling the overturn of Prop 8 a business imperative, they are having difficulty moving the best employees from state to state deepening on the laws in that state with respect to their employees marriages and benefits.

This will happen, you can sit back and enjoy the ride.

It will take some time, but it will happen.

“Vita e' Bella.”

Since: May 12

Location hidden

#193691 May 29, 2013
Big D wrote:
<quoted text>
They have nothing left to attack same sex marriage with, so you will see them making leaps in every direction out of pure desperation.
Even over tall buildings in a single bound like you Big D.

“Vita e' Bella.”

Location hidden

#193692 May 29, 2013
veryvermilion wrote:
<quoted text>
Here... Let me post what U.S. Solicitor General, Ted Olsen, said to Justice Sotomayor.
"[P]olygamy raises questions about exploitation, abuse, patriarchy, issues with respect to taxes, inheritance, child custody ó it is an entirely different thing."
"If a state prohibits polygamy," he said, "itís prohibiting conduct. If it prohibits gay and lesbian citizens from getting married, it is prohibiting their exercise of a right based upon their status."
I think he sums it up nicely...
Did it? Mr. Olsen stated that polygamy "raises questions....". He also ignored the fact that polygamy is also prohibited based on status, religion. Gay and lesbians aren't prohibited from getting married, they are prohibited from marrying someone of the same sex. As to the question:

"If you say that marriage is a fundamental right, what state restrictions could ever exist?" Sotomayor asked before referencing polygamy and incest among adults.

What is the answer? If they all consenting adults, and marriage is a fundamental right, what state restrictions could ever exist?

“Vita e' Bella.”

Location hidden

#193693 May 29, 2013
Big D wrote:
<quoted text>
Because this is the land of the free, and we will see equality and justice from one end of it to the other.
200 major businesses have petitioned the supreme court calling the overturn of Prop 8 a business imperative, they are having difficulty moving the best employees from state to state deepening on the laws in that state with respect to their employees marriages and benefits.
This will happen, you can sit back and enjoy the ride.
It will take some time, but it will happen.
Oh by gosh by golly, freedom for all, including polygamists. That too will happen sit back and enjoy the ride.
Big D

Modesto, CA

#193694 May 29, 2013
Pietro Armando wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh by gosh by golly, freedom for all, including polygamists. That too will happen sit back and enjoy the ride.
I will vote in favor of it when it comes up, think of it as a jobs program, can you imagine a divorce of one person out of the marriage?

Full employment for our Lawyers!

Seriously though, I donít see a reason not to vote in favor of it.

“Building Better Worlds”

Since: May 13

Europa

#193695 May 29, 2013
We'll know what SCOTUS decides, (if they decide to decide), in less than 30 days.
Strats

Covina, CA

#193696 May 29, 2013
Wednesday May 29, 2013 Leave it to New York to mess things up, again.

Part-time workers at the city's Parks Department stripped and pole-danced at agency holiday parties in exchange for permanent jobs.

Several female staffers allege routine sexual harassment by their supervisors, according to complaints and texts under review by city investigators.

Like that's going to make a difference, the investigators were probably in on it from the beginning.
Big D

Modesto, CA

#193697 May 29, 2013
Europa Report wrote:
We'll know what SCOTUS decides,(if they decide to decide), in less than 30 days.
The SCOUTS decision while interesting, I doubt will be earth shattering. And in the long run, will not affect to momentum.

Section 3 of DOMA is dead meat, I donít think anyone with any intellectual capacity at all will refute that. Even the conservative justices where asking some pretty negative questions about the validity of section 3

As for the rest

DOMA section 2 will likely stand, meaning states will not be forced to recognize marriages preformed in other states. But section 3 going down will mean federal recognition of same sex marriages, that in itself is a huge victory.

More likely however is for the SCOTS to just toss Prop 8 back to the state, Dismissed as improvidently granted is the term I think. Ruling that the supporters of Prop 8 have no standing as they are NOT the government and can show no harm whatsoever from the overturn of Prop 8 ( always a critical flaw in their case )

If it gets tossed back to the state, the state judicial system has already overturned Prop 8 in court and appellate court, the stay will be lifted and same sex marriages will once again occur in California.

Even the worst case scenario, they uphold Prop 8, it will fall in the next election cycle anyway.

The SCOTUS ruling is interesting, and may be a faster track, but no matter which way they rule, the momentum will continue to recognize same sex marriages.

“equality for ALL means ALL”

Since: Jan 07

Fort Lauderdale FL

#193698 May 29, 2013
Big D wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh yeah, they say they hate big government, but support a government that steps into your private life, trying to tell my daughters that the government gets to control their bodies, their own reproductive systems. Or one that tells you who you can marry and who you cant.
They call themselves conservatives, but I have never figured out exactly what it is they conserve, it isnít the environment, certainly not our nations finances, certainly not our nations values of freedom, justice and equality.
They conserve (or preserve) the status quo.

The are afraid...of just about everything - new, different, etc.

The label of "conservative" is a misnomer.

I believe it has a lot to do with personality type. Some people are just followers, and are afraid unless they have a majority or mob to back them up. Those are "conservatives." Other people live life, aren't afraid to be the only one in the room who is doing/saying/thinking/wearing something, and aren't afraid of change. Those are "normal." LOL

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Oroville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
CA California Proposition 19: the Marijuana Legali... (Oct '10) 5 hr papersup 15,974
CA California seeks to ban free, single-use carryo... (Jun '10) 16 hr memo maddnes 5,020
CA CA Proposition 23 - Global Warming (Oct '10) Mon punch tips 7,935
Anyone see Marvin Markle lose his sh*t yesterday? (Feb '12) Aug 24 jram1970 88
Recent reports of bodies found/murders in Orovi... Aug 19 Justsaying 1
Review: VALLEY HOME CENTERS Aug 16 Scott Alexander 1
Review: Oroville Tacos Aug 9 Steve M 1
•••
•••
•••

Oroville Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••