Judge overturns California's ban on same-sex marriage

Aug 4, 2010 | Posted by: Topix | Full story: www.cnn.com

A federal judge in California has knocked down the state's voter-approved ban on same-sex marriage, ruling Wednesday that the state's controversial Proposition 8 violates the U.S. Constitution.

Comments (Page 8,388)

Showing posts 167,741 - 167,760 of199,073
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:

“Vita e' Bella.”

Since: May 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#192107
May 14, 2013
 

Judged:

8

8

8

veryvermilion wrote:
<quoted text>
From the U.S. Dept. of Justice...
Hate crime is the violence of intolerance and bigotry, intended to hurt and intimidate someone because of their race, ethnicity, national origin, religious, sexual orientation, or disability. The purveyors of hate use explosives, arson, weapons, vandalism, physical violence, and VERBAL THREATS OF VIOLENCE to instill fear in their victims, leaving them vulnerable to more attacks and feeling alienated, helpless, suspicious and fearful. Others may become frustrated and angry if they believe the local government and other groups in the community will not protect them.
----------
I guess what happened to my partner and me was a hate crime after all...
As I've said to others, sometimes it helps if you do a minimum of research on an issue before posting. It can help you to avoid looking like a fool.
So if someone HATES me because of my economic status, and targets me because of that, it's not a hate crime?
Big D

Modesto, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#192108
May 14, 2013
 

Judged:

7

7

7

Pietro Armando wrote:
<quoted text>
Uhhhhhhh....Big D if Americans are "rejecting big government that tells us who we can marry and who we cannot, why then do they seek a state issued marriage license?
<quoted text>
So does mean when you're flying over the city on patrol you'll be wearing nothing but your cape? What should "morality" be based on? Who or what determines what is legally moral?
<quoted text>
Some would argue you that legal SSM does just that, dictate immorality.
Well personally I don’t see a need for a state issued marriage license, I think every marriage should be a civil union from the governments perspective. That would remove the word marriage from a legal definition, But as there is little ( perhaps no ) support for my personal favorite way to deal with it, I fall back on making marriage equal.

To your last point, no one is telling you that you have to marry same sex, no one is telling any church they must perform any marriage they choose not to. We are not dictating anything, you can have your little club and set all the rules for your members you want to, as long as you don’t assume you can set rules for people that don’t belong to your little club.

No one is telling you how you must be, we are just telling you that you don’t get to dictate to others how they must be.

( did you see the Incredibles, watched that with my grandson the other day ... No CAPES!!!):P
Frankie Rizzo

Union City, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#192109
May 14, 2013
 

Judged:

8

8

8

Big D wrote:
<quoted text>
Well personally I don’t see a need for a state issued marriage license, I think every marriage should be a civil union from the governments perspective. That would remove the word marriage from a legal definition, But as there is little ( perhaps no ) support for my personal favorite way to deal with it, I fall back on making marriage equal.
To your last point, no one is telling you that you have to marry same sex, no one is telling any church they must perform any marriage they choose not to. We are not dictating anything, you can have your little club and set all the rules for your members you want to, as long as you don’t assume you can set rules for people that don’t belong to your little club.
No one is telling you how you must be, we are just telling you that you don’t get to dictate to others how they must be.
( did you see the Incredibles, watched that with my grandson the other day ... No CAPES!!!):P
"little club"?

Since: Dec 09

Knoxville, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#192110
May 14, 2013
 

Judged:

7

7

7

Pietro Armando wrote:
<quoted text>
So if someone HATES me because of my economic status, and targets me because of that, it's not a hate crime?
Is "economic status" on the list of protected groups? If it isn't, then, no, an attack based on your economic status is not a hate crime.

Now, if a large enough group of people are being attacked because of their economic status--if they are being bullied, physically attacked, etc.(see the definition from the U.S. Dept. of Justice)--then they can attempt to have their status placed on the list of people who are prone to hate crimes.

It's a process. Surely, economically advantaged people would know how to work the system.

Also, it's often left up to a judge or jury to make a final call. If they believe there is evidence, I guess it's possible that they could determine that an attack based on "economic status" might be considered a hate crime.

Since: Dec 09

Knoxville, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#192111
May 14, 2013
 

Judged:

7

7

7

Pietro Armando wrote:
<quoted text>
So if some points a gun at me and says, "gimme your wallet", that's not as bad if some one points a gun at me and says, "gimme your wallet you dumb wop"?
I would imagine if the attacker repeatedly used slurs; said things like "Get out of our neighborhoods!" or carved the word "wop" into your forehead, then that might rise to the level of a hate crime. It would likely be added to the list of charges, along with aggravated robbery, aggravated assault, etc.
Big D

Modesto, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#192112
May 14, 2013
 

Judged:

7

7

7

veryvermilion wrote:
<quoted text>
Is "economic status" on the list of protected groups? If it isn't, then, no, an attack based on your economic status is not a hate crime.
Now, if a large enough group of people are being attacked because of their economic status--if they are being bullied, physically attacked, etc.(see the definition from the U.S. Dept. of Justice)--then they can attempt to have their status placed on the list of people who are prone to hate crimes.
It's a process. Surely, economically advantaged people would know how to work the system.
Also, it's often left up to a judge or jury to make a final call. If they believe there is evidence, I guess it's possible that they could determine that an attack based on "economic status" might be considered a hate crime.
Or just determine that pre-meditation and forethought went into the crime and it ends up being identical anyway.

All "hate crime" boils down to is an easy way to determine pre-meditation and forethought.

The greater penalties are identical to pre-meditation and forethought.

( and if the sentence is death… you can’t make them “more dead” ;))
Frankie Rizzo

Union City, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#192113
May 14, 2013
 

Judged:

8

8

8

Big D wrote:
<quoted text>
Or just determine that pre-meditation and forethought went into the crime and it ends up being identical anyway.
All "hate crime" boils down to is an easy way to determine pre-meditation and forethought.
The greater penalties are identical to pre-meditation and forethought.
( and if the sentence is death… you can’t make them “more dead” ;))
Go start a hate crime thread.
Start Uppers

Covina, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#192114
May 14, 2013
 

Judged:

7

7

7

Frankie are you a LBST?

Just asking.
Look at all this trash

Sacramento, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#192116
May 14, 2013
 

Judged:

7

7

7

I love how these bigots on here are bashing gays for not being able to have children, yet there are millions of foster kids, and orphans in this world in dire need of a family. Kids are being thrown in dumpsters, drown, starving to death, dying from diarrhea and your argument is that they can't procreate. You all would fit in perfectly along side Mahmoud Abdullah in Iran wouldn't u?? Who do u think is adopting all these kids all these wonderful hetero couples can't take care of?? That's right, thank God for gay people adopting your kids and giving them the life they couldn't have w their hetero parents. Shame on all these clueless 3rd world country bigots on here. Why don't you all move to Somalia or Saudi Arabia where your views will be shared by other 3rd world thinking/living sloths...u would be a great asset to their thriving communities, and stay out of 1st world countries; there's no place for people like u here anymore. Do us all a favor and go embarrass yourself somewhere else.
Frankie Rizzo

Union City, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#192117
May 14, 2013
 

Judged:

8

8

8

Look at all this trash wrote:
I love how these bigots on here are bashing gays for not being able to have children, yet there are millions of foster kids, and orphans in this world in dire need of a family. Kids are being thrown in dumpsters, drown, starving to death, dying from diarrhea and your argument is that they can't procreate. You all would fit in perfectly along side Mahmoud Abdullah in Iran wouldn't u?? Who do u think is adopting all these kids all these wonderful hetero couples can't take care of?? That's right, thank God for gay people adopting your kids and giving them the life they couldn't have w their hetero parents. Shame on all these clueless 3rd world country bigots on here. Why don't you all move to Somalia or Saudi Arabia where your views will be shared by other 3rd world thinking/living sloths...u would be a great asset to their thriving communities, and stay out of 1st world countries; there's no place for people like u here anymore. Do us all a favor and go embarrass yourself somewhere else.
Relax fruitcake.
Look at all this trash

Sacramento, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#192118
May 14, 2013
 

Judged:

7

7

7

Frankie Rizzo wrote:
<quoted text>
Relax fruitcake.
You have nothing better to do than troll a gay marriage thread? I'm not gay, but I know a caveman bigot, when one presents them self. Resorting to name calling simply means, u have absolutely no comeback for what I said, so u once again resort to your caveman brain, and the only thing u can come up with is "relax fruitcake"...that pretty much tells me everything I need to know about u. I heard there's a hut for rent in Nigeria...it's got your name written all over it.
Frankie Rizzo

Union City, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#192119
May 14, 2013
 

Judged:

8

8

8

Look at all this trash wrote:
<quoted text>
You have nothing better to do than troll a gay marriage thread? I'm not gay, but I know a caveman bigot, when one presents them self. Resorting to name calling simply means, u have absolutely no comeback for what I said, so u once again resort to your caveman brain, and the only thing u can come up with is "relax fruitcake"...that pretty much tells me everything I need to know about u. I heard there's a hut for rent in Nigeria...it's got your name written all over it.
Try and relax power ranger. You're all angry and overheated. No one cares.

Have your little hissy fit then come back with a point beyond all that hateful ranting.

“KiMare'a the Monster Mutation”

Since: Nov 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#192120
May 14, 2013
 

Judged:

8

8

8

Marram wrote:
<quoted text>
This is a perfect example of why Gay Americans are fighting back. We’re not taking it anymore and we’re fighting back. The mouth pieces on this site are an amusing and motley crew of haters. They think their childish name calling and intimidation techniques have an impact on our resolve. I always chuckle when they ask if we’re mad. They’re simply impotent wind bags who pose no consequence to the realization of Gay Marriage Rights in the USA and Worldwide. I especially love it when the powerless haters whine on about how ten percent of the population can impose its will on ninety percent. It’s douche bags like these idiots who backed Gay Americans into a corner and then cry like little biotchs now that they azzes are getting handed to them. They can keep on spouting their inane elitist logic while Gay Americans drive real change. As of today twelve and counting……woohoo!!!
Then do so with honesty.

Not the gay twirl and attempt to impose an imposter relationship on marriage.

Why are you so ashamed of establishing your own relational identity?

Smile.
Frankie Rizzo

Union City, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#192121
May 14, 2013
 

Judged:

8

8

8

Look at all this trash wrote:
<quoted text>
You have nothing better to do than troll a gay marriage thread? I'm not gay, but I know a caveman bigot, when one presents them self. Resorting to name calling simply means, u have absolutely no comeback for what I said, so u once again resort to your caveman brain, and the only thing u can come up with is "relax fruitcake"...that pretty much tells me everything I need to know about u. I heard there's a hut for rent in Nigeria...it's got your name written all over it.
Wonder if they have SSM in Uganda?

http://www.youtube.com/watch...
Look at all this trash

Sacramento, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#192122
May 14, 2013
 

Judged:

7

7

7

Frankie Rizzo wrote:
<quoted text>
Wonder if they have SSM in Uganda?
http://www.youtube.com/watch...
I think I just lost some I.Q. from responding to this guy. He's only here to troll. Don't respond to him, he'll probably commit suicide if u don't.
Look at all this trash

Sacramento, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#192123
May 14, 2013
 

Judged:

7

7

7

Notice how KiMare and Rizzo have absolutely no argument against what I said? I post on this site and others, sometimes under diff names, but one thing's consistent about my posts...I totally own anyone trying to argue w me...it's a tough job, but someone's gotta do it...

“THERE IS NO GOD”

Since: Feb 09

Northern California

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#192124
May 14, 2013
 

Judged:

7

7

7

Look at all this trash wrote:
I love how these bigots on here are bashing gays for not being able to have children, yet there are millions of foster kids, and orphans in this world in dire need of a family. Kids are being thrown in dumpsters, drown, starving to death, dying from diarrhea and your argument is that they can't procreate. You all would fit in perfectly along side Mahmoud Abdullah in Iran wouldn't u?? Who do u think is adopting all these kids all these wonderful hetero couples can't take care of?? That's right, thank God for gay people adopting your kids and giving them the life they couldn't have w their hetero parents. Shame on all these clueless 3rd world country bigots on here. Why don't you all move to Somalia or Saudi Arabia where your views will be shared by other 3rd world thinking/living sloths...u would be a great asset to their thriving communities, and stay out of 1st world countries; there's no place for people like u here anymore. Do us all a favor and go embarrass yourself somewhere else.
Nicely said!

A true follower of Jesus can neither divorce someone,(a) "So they are no longer two but one flesh. What therefore God has joined together, let no man put asunder"(Matt. 19:6, Mark 10:9), nor marry someone who is divorced,(b) "whosoever shall marry her that is divorced committeth adultery" (Matt. 5:32, 19:9, Luke 16:18). There is an exception to the former, however. If the spouse commits adultery, divorce is permissible: "Whosoever shall put away his wife, saving for the cause of fornication, causeth her to commit adultery" (Matt. 5:32). The Bible also says that anyone who obtains a divorce and marries another is an adulterer: "...whosoever shall put away his wife, and marry another, committeth adultery against her" (Mark 10:11, Luke 16:18), which applies to women as well--Mark 10:12. In essence, according to Christ's teachings:
•(1) one can never obtain a divorce, except from an adulterous spouse;
•(2) one can never marry a divorced person, and
•(3) one who obtains a divorce and marries another is committing adultery.
One can only guess at the number of Christians who have ignored these maxims.

“Vita e' Bella.”

Since: May 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#192125
May 14, 2013
 

Judged:

8

8

8

veryvermilion wrote:
<quoted text>
Is "economic status" on the list of protected groups? If it isn't, then, no, an attack based on your economic status is not a hate criime.
I see, so if its not on the list, it's not a "hate crime".
Now, if a large enough group of people are being attacked because of their economic status--if they are being bullied, physically attacked, etc.(see the definition from the U.S. Dept. of Justice)--then they can attempt to have their status placed on the list of people who are prone to hate crimes.
It happens everyday. It's usually referred to as robbery, mugging, burglary, or thievery.

It's a process. Surely, economically advantaged people would know how to work the system.
Also, it's often left up to a judge or jury to make a final call. If they believe there is evidence, I guess it's possible that they could determine that an attack based on "economic status" might be considered a hate crime.
If someone points a gun at you and says, "gimme your wallet", s/he's doing so because of your economic status. You have more money than him/her.

“Vita e' Bella.”

Since: May 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#192126
May 14, 2013
 

Judged:

8

8

8

Look at all this trash wrote:
<quoted text>
You have nothing better to do than troll a gay marriage thread? I'm not gay, but I know a caveman bigot, when one presents them self. Resorting to name calling simply means, u have absolutely no comeback for what I said, so u once again resort to your caveman brain, and the only thing u can come up with is "relax fruitcake"...that pretty much tells me everything I need to know about u. I heard there's a hut for rent in Nigeria...it's got your name written all over it.
What "comeback" are you looking for? Gay people adopt kids, but so do straight people. Both can be good parents. Soooooo.....that means SSM should be legal?
Freaky Razzo

Covina, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#192128
May 14, 2013
 

Judged:

7

7

7

Once again "freaky Rizzo" got lose again and he men with white coats and large nets on poles are looking for him.

Hope they catch him soon.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 167,741 - 167,760 of199,073
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Oroville Discussions

Search the Oroville Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
CA California Proposition 19: the Marijuana Legali... (Oct '10) 9 min Follow the dog 15,655
Review: Sierra Valley Furniture 10 hr Exactly What I Wanted 1
CA California seeks to ban free, single-use carryo... (Jun '10) 22 hr Bag itts 4,551
CA CA Proposition 23 - Global Warming (Oct '10) Tue lug heads 7,298
Abuse of authority (Mar '07) Apr 14 Maltamon 13
CA Who do you support for Governor in California i... (Oct '10) Apr 13 Just fine 3,746
Letter: Am I that guy? (Sep '10) Mar 26 Jerrylee 7
•••
•••
•••
•••

Oroville Jobs

•••
•••
•••

Oroville People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]
•••