Judge overturns California's ban on same-sex marriage

Aug 4, 2010 | Posted by: Topix | Full story: www.cnn.com

A federal judge in California has knocked down the state's voter-approved ban on same-sex marriage, ruling Wednesday that the state's controversial Proposition 8 violates the U.S. Constitution.

Comments (Page 8,241)

Showing posts 164,801 - 164,820 of200,214
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:

“Vita e' Bella.”

Since: May 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 16, 2013

Judged:

Big D wrote:
<quoted text>
you forgot about the other sexes of space aliens and men or women marrying one of those other sexes :D
Oh please enlighten us Big D, what are those other space alien sexes called? Unanusians? Androgynites?
That is why those people that want o marry space aliens are joining you Poly people doubling your numbers, now if you can get the romantically attached sheep herders you will have even more on your side
Ohhhhhh.....Big D made a funny. Still have that inflatable sheep hidden out in your tool shed, along with a copy of PlayEwe magazine, I see. Let's hope the missus doesn't find out.

Since: Mar 11

St. Croix valley

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 16, 2013

Judged:

Pietro Armando wrote:
http://m.vice.com/en_ca/read/a fter-gay-marriage-why-not-poly gamy
Actually, yeah—why are polyamorous marriages between consenting adults illegal?
“Kurtz was right for the most part,” Anita Wagner Illig, a polyamorous-relationships advocate who runs the Practical Polyamory website, told me in an email.“Legalizing same-sex marriage creates a legal precedent where there can be no valid legal premise for denying marriage to more than two people who wish to marry each other… We just disagree as to whether it’s a bad thing.”
Laws against multiple marriages in the US were originally enacted in response to 19th-century Mormon polygamy, and since then, having a bunch of wives has been associated with extreme Mormons like Tom Green and David Kingston who force women to marry them, have sex with young girls, and even engage in incest—horrific, despicable acts by any moral standard. That’s a tough stigma for poly people to overcome, though polyamory has become more and more accepted at large over the past decade.
If TV is a barometer for society’s obsessions, we’re thinking a lot more about group marriage—HBO’s Big Love depicted fundamentalist Mormon polygamy in nuanced, dramatic fashion, and TLC’s Sister Wives portrayed a Mormon polygamous family as being not all that different from “normal” homes. A long story in Newsweek in 2009 focused on nonreligious poly families and was very sympathetic. More recently, ABC’s Wife Swap featured a poly family and Scientific American called “consensual nonmonogamy”(which includes swingers and people in open relationships, not just polyamorists) the “new sexual revolution.” It’s important to note that there are only an estimated 500,000 poly relationships in the US, which is a tiny minority when compared to the 9 million or so gay people in the country, but if you want, you can see this mainstreaming of polyamory as running parallel to the wider acceptance of homosexuality that preceded the current civil rights battle.
Many gay marriage advocates dislike that comparison—they don’t want the public to draw comparisons between gay relationships and “weird” potentially abusive multiwife setups. Back in 2006, Andrew Sullivan wrote,“Legalizing [polygamy] is a bad idea for a society in general for all the usual reasons (abuse of women, the dangers of leaving a pool of unmarried straight men in the population at large, etc.),” an odd mirroring of all those conservatives who’ve talked about how “bad for society” gay marriage would be.
hey Petey! S'up?

I thought you got off the multiple wife bandwagon?(had pictures in my head of your wife reading over your shoulder and boxing your ears off.."I'm not wife enough for you?!?" she screams while reaching for the bread roller...

have you had time to tally up the number of laws that would need to be changed to make polygamy equal with two two person marriage? I've still got my old TI-81 calculator if you need to use it...
Frankie Rizzo

Union City, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 16, 2013

Judged:

just the facts wrote:
<quoted text>Whoa, Frankie are you jealous, all I have a wife, you have war stories.
"all I have a wife"? What's that mean? Oh nevermind, who cares? It's just dopey Jizzy-speak.

P.S. Please re-post one of my war stories. Or all of them, dummy.
Duh! There aren't any. Just your war stories, and they are FUNNY! See the Gay Cafe thread folks!

P.P.S. Why are you such a homophobe? Gay marriage won't hurt you.

YUK!YUK!YUK! Jizzy. Too funny!
Frankie Rizzo

Union City, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 16, 2013

Judged:

Big D wrote:
<quoted text>
you forgot about the other sexes of space aliens and men or women marrying one of those other sexes :D
That is why those people that want o marry space aliens are joining you Poly people doubling your numbers, now if you can get the romantically attached sheep herders you will have even more on your side
If same sex marriage advocates had them on "their side" they would have more numbers too! See how that works?

Stop being so exclusive. Marriage equality means exactly what it says. It doesn't mean marriage is allowed for Big D approved groups only.
Frankie Rizzo

Union City, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 16, 2013

Judged:

just the facts wrote:
<quoted text>Its a sham, the poly people want to limit marriage.
That makes a lot of sense, Jizzy!

You mean if we allow marriage to more people it will limit marriage?

How's that work genius?

Marriage equality is not limiting marriage. Rethink that you big dope!
Big D

Modesto, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 16, 2013

Judged:

Frankie Rizzo wrote:
<quoted text>
If same sex marriage advocates had them on "their side" they would have more numbers too! See how that works?
Stop being so exclusive. Marriage equality means exactly what it says. It doesn't mean marriage is allowed for Big D approved groups only.
I am being inclusive, adding marriage to space aliens and romantically attached sheep herders to your cause.

The law is exclusive, the law outlawing Polygamy is not Prop 8, but was already in in effect. It isn’t my choice or my decision that overturning Prop 8 will not affect polygamy at all, that is the law that has been in place for decades now.

To overturn the law you need to be out getting signatures ( something you have already said you won’t do ) or working within the legal system to have that overturned.

Don’t ask me to do anything that you are not willing to do and blame me for that. That is crap, you know it and so do I.
Frankie Rizzo

Union City, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 16, 2013

Judged:

Pietro Armando wrote:
http://m.vice.com/en_ca/read/a fter-gay-marriage-why-not-poly gamy
Actually, yeah—why are polyamorous marriages between consenting adults illegal?
“Kurtz was right for the most part,” Anita Wagner Illig, a polyamorous-relationships advocate who runs the Practical Polyamory website, told me in an email.“Legalizing same-sex marriage creates a legal precedent where there can be no valid legal premise for denying marriage to more than two people who wish to marry each other… We just disagree as to whether it’s a bad thing.”
Laws against multiple marriages in the US were originally enacted in response to 19th-century Mormon polygamy, and since then, having a bunch of wives has been associated with extreme Mormons like Tom Green and David Kingston who force women to marry them, have sex with young girls, and even engage in incest—horrific, despicable acts by any moral standard. That’s a tough stigma for poly people to overcome, though polyamory has become more and more accepted at large over the past decade.
If TV is a barometer for society’s obsessions, we’re thinking a lot more about group marriage—HBO’s Big Love depicted fundamentalist Mormon polygamy in nuanced, dramatic fashion, and TLC’s Sister Wives portrayed a Mormon polygamous family as being not all that different from “normal” homes. A long story in Newsweek in 2009 focused on nonreligious poly families and was very sympathetic. More recently, ABC’s Wife Swap featured a poly family and Scientific American called “consensual nonmonogamy”(which includes swingers and people in open relationships, not just polyamorists) the “new sexual revolution.” It’s important to note that there are only an estimated 500,000 poly relationships in the US, which is a tiny minority when compared to the 9 million or so gay people in the country, but if you want, you can see this mainstreaming of polyamory as running parallel to the wider acceptance of homosexuality that preceded the current civil rights battle.
Many gay marriage advocates dislike that comparison—they don’t want the public to draw comparisons between gay relationships and “weird” potentially abusive multiwife setups. Back in 2006, Andrew Sullivan wrote,“Legalizing [polygamy] is a bad idea for a society in general for all the usual reasons (abuse of women, the dangers of leaving a pool of unmarried straight men in the population at large, etc.),” an odd mirroring of all those conservatives who’ve talked about how “bad for society” gay marriage would be.
When poly becomes legal, the numbers of people who want to be in a poly marriage will be so small that those bigots and haters against it like Big D, Jizzy and X-Box will probably never have to be offended by the sight of a happy poly family.
Frankie Rizzo

Union City, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 16, 2013

Judged:

Big D wrote:
<quoted text>
I am being inclusive, adding marriage to space aliens and romantically attached sheep herders to your cause.
The law is exclusive, the law outlawing Polygamy is not Prop 8, but was already in in effect. It isn’t my choice or my decision that overturning Prop 8 will not affect polygamy at all, that is the law that has been in place for decades now.
To overturn the law you need to be out getting signatures ( something you have already said you won’t do ) or working within the legal system to have that overturned.
Don’t ask me to do anything that you are not willing to do and blame me for that. That is crap, you know it and so do I.
Imagine if someone used your unfunny stupid space alien schtick against same sex marriage. You would scream bloody murder.

Why do you think it's so brilliant when you use it against other forms of marriage that you don't approve of?
Big D

Modesto, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 16, 2013

Judged:

Pietro Armando wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh please enlighten us Big D, what are those other space alien sexes called? Unanusians? Androgynites?
<quoted text>
Ohhhhhh.....Big D made a funny. Still have that inflatable sheep hidden out in your tool shed, along with a copy of PlayEwe magazine, I see. Let's hope the missus doesn't find out.
Oh I don’t believe in them, but there are those that do, and their rights are being infringed too :)

I have not contacted any sheep herders yet, but I assume they will be open to joining you Poly folks.

( Kidding aside, I am occasionally asked to go to a classroom and talk about amateur astronomy, after my little talk and presentation of different kinds of telescopes it is question and answer time, every time with young folks I get the same question… do you believe in UFO’s, so I toss a rocket engine part in the air and ask if any of them knows what that was… they say no of course, and so I reply of course there are things flying that we don’t know what they are… yet.. which is all a UFO is.

This is immediately followed with the question “do I believe there is intelligent life elsewhere”? which I immediately say Yes I do, with the number of stars and the frequency we are finding planets it is almost a foregone conclusion that there is intelligent life somewhere else in the universe… however, I have seen no convincing evidence whatsoever that any of them have ever been here.)
Big D

Modesto, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 16, 2013

Judged:

Frankie Rizzo wrote:
<quoted text>
When poly becomes legal, the numbers of people who want to be in a poly marriage will be so small that those bigots and haters against it like Big D, Jizzy and X-Box will probably never have to be offended by the sight of a happy poly family.
wrong again, I would vote in favor of Poly, but don’t expect it to actually come up in a serious way in the near future.

I am curious, have you ever been right about anything... ever?
Frankie Rizzo

Union City, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 16, 2013

Judged:

woodtick57 wrote:
<quoted text>hey Petey! S'up?
I thought you got off the multiple wife bandwagon?(had pictures in my head of your wife reading over your shoulder and boxing your ears off.."I'm not wife enough for you?!?" she screams while reaching for the bread roller...
have you had time to tally up the number of laws that would need to be changed to make polygamy equal with two two person marriage? I've still got my old TI-81 calculator if you need to use it...
Is it your position that denying equal protection is OK if granting it would be too complicated?
Frankie Rizzo

Union City, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 16, 2013

Frankie Rizzo

Union City, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 16, 2013

Judged:

Big D wrote:
<quoted text>
wrong again, I would vote in favor of Poly, but don’t expect it to actually come up in a serious way in the near future.
Sure Big D, you would vote for poly despite the fact that you ridicule it with silly space alien and marry your goat schtick every chance you get.

We believe you.
Big D

Modesto, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 16, 2013

Judged:

Frankie Rizzo wrote:
<quoted text>
Imagine if someone used your unfunny stupid space alien schtick against same sex marriage. You would scream bloody murder.
Why do you think it's so brilliant when you use it against other forms of marriage that you don't approve of?
Nope I would just laugh

I am not against other forms of marriage, you are

St. Croix valley

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 16, 2013

Judged:

Frankie Rizzo wrote:
<quoted text>
Is it your position that denying equal protection is OK if granting it would be too complicated?
i'm not sure it would be equal protection. are people naturally attracted to more than one person? no, no they are not.

this is a religious choice in almost every single case. they can perform whatever rite they wish in their tax subsidized house of worship...

St. Croix valley

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 16, 2013

Judged:

Big D wrote:
<quoted text>
i haven't seen it.

think he'll be able to put up a copy of even one correct post he's made? i'd put up a few bucks against...

St. Croix valley

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 16, 2013

Judged:

Big D wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh I don’t believe in them, but there are those that do, and their rights are being infringed too :)
I have not contacted any sheep herders yet, but I assume they will be open to joining you Poly folks.
( Kidding aside, I am occasionally asked to go to a classroom and talk about amateur astronomy, after my little talk and presentation of different kinds of telescopes it is question and answer time, every time with young folks I get the same question… do you believe in UFO’s, so I toss a rocket engine part in the air and ask if any of them knows what that was… they say no of course, and so I reply of course there are things flying that we don’t know what they are… yet.. which is all a UFO is.
This is immediately followed with the question “do I believe there is intelligent life elsewhere”? which I immediately say Yes I do, with the number of stars and the frequency we are finding planets it is almost a foregone conclusion that there is intelligent life somewhere else in the universe… however, I have seen no convincing evidence whatsoever that any of them have ever been here.)
what are your thoughts on the possibility of us being the most technologically advanced beings around?

most people i talk to seem to have it set n their minds that other life would have to be more advanced than us.

if we orbit a third generations star, and it took that long for the heavier elements to be cooked up in previous stars that they could be accreted in such levels on our planet for us to mine and use, perhaps we are the first, or one of the first, to develop on a planet able to support such technological developement?(assuming it would take those heavier elements to make the trappings of a technologically advanced civilization...the exception of Douglas Adams' huvaloos granted..)
Frankie Rizzo

Union City, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 16, 2013

Judged:

Big D wrote:
<quoted text>
Nope I would just laugh
I am not against other forms of marriage, you are
Oy vey. The old tired and stupid Big D "Frankie's a liar" Straw man AGAIN?

It was stupid the first 50 times, it's not getting any smarter.
Frankie Rizzo

Union City, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 16, 2013

Judged:

woodtick57 wrote:
<quoted text>i'm not sure it would be equal protection. are people naturally attracted to more than one person? no, no they are not.
this is a religious choice in almost every single case. they can perform whatever rite they wish in their tax subsidized house of worship...
So now you speak for polyamorists and your message is that they don't exist?

Same sex marriage advocates can also perform any rite they wish.

What harm would a marriage of three consenting adult men cause you bigot?
Frankie Rizzo

Union City, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 16, 2013

Judged:

woodtick57 wrote:
<quoted text>what are your thoughts on the possibility of us being the most technologically advanced beings around?
most people i talk to seem to have it set n their minds that other life would have to be more advanced than us.
if we orbit a third generations star, and it took that long for the heavier elements to be cooked up in previous stars that they could be accreted in such levels on our planet for us to mine and use, perhaps we are the first, or one of the first, to develop on a planet able to support such technological developement?(assuming it would take those heavier elements to make the trappings of a technologically advanced civilization...the exception of Douglas Adams' huvaloos granted..)
If they have traveled here to Earth, they are more technologically advanced that we are.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 164,801 - 164,820 of200,214
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••
•••
•••

Oroville Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Oroville People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••