Judge overturns California's ban on same-sex marriage

Aug 4, 2010 | Posted by: Topix | Full story: www.cnn.com

A federal judge in California has knocked down the state's voter-approved ban on same-sex marriage, ruling Wednesday that the state's controversial Proposition 8 violates the U.S. Constitution.

Comments
163,801 - 163,820 of 200,565 Comments Last updated 3 hrs ago
Obskeptic

Sterling Heights, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 8, 2013

Judged:

poledancer45 wrote:
<quoted text>yes I have had several abortions.... thanks and its my body and my right to choose... not yours
Your parent must be so proud of you . To think your significant contribution as a human has been to add a few dead babies to the landfill and sell your body as a commodity. Add smoking, drinking, and drugs to that mix and I bet your a real prize to look at or spend time with.

“Vita e' Bella.”

Since: May 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 8, 2013

Judged:

Jaredb8 wrote:
<quoted text>
Clearly it is an issue or we wouldn't be discussing it you idiot.
So discuss then. Why does society need men to marry other men/women to marry other women? What is this compelling urge?

“Vita e' Bella.”

Since: May 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 8, 2013

Judged:

Jaredb8 wrote:
<quoted text>
So once again we are back to the marriage is all about sex? Which is it you keep going round and round. Is marriage about some religious sanctity or is it about sex. Stop flip flopping you sound like a politician.
Why does "marriage" exist in the first place? Why did it develop throughout time and place as virtually an exclusive relationship of either one man/husband one wife, or one man many wives?

Just ANSWER THE QUESTIONS, please. Thank you.
Obskeptic

Sterling Heights, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 8, 2013

Judged:

Pietro Armando wrote:
<quoted text>
So discuss then. Why does society need men to marry other men/women to marry other women? What is this compelling urge?
It is an attempt to establish what is otherwise unhealthy and abnormal sexual impulses as normal and equal to those of what God intended to be between a man and a women. I know you know that though.

Since: Dec 09

Knoxville, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 8, 2013

Judged:

Pietro Armando wrote:
<quoted text>
Why does "marriage" exist in the first place? Why did it develop throughout time and place as virtually an exclusive relationship of either one man/husband one wife, or one man many wives?
When you use words like "virtually" you are agreeing that not all marriages over time and throughout all cultures have been between one man and one woman or many women.

And I think the point of his post is that while children are most often a product of marriage, it isn't a requirement; at least not in the U.S.

People aren't baby making machines. It's something that is possible. And most married couples do have children. But not all.

And since, legally, children ARE NOT a requirement of marriage, you cannot justify withholding legal marriage n this country based on the fact that a same-gender couple will not produce natural offspring.

And you continuously ignore the fact that at least in 2007 there were around 270,000 children in the country who lived with same-gender couples. According to the figures used in the recent Supreme Court hearings re: Prop 8, there are 40,000 such families in CA alone.

These couples have their children via adoption, in vitro methods, or one or both same-gender parents had children from a previous marriage/relationship--just like some opposite-gender marriages.
Big D

Modesto, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 8, 2013

Judged:

Obskeptic wrote:
<quoted text>
It is an attempt to establish what is otherwise unhealthy and abnormal sexual impulses as normal and equal to those of what God intended to be between a man and a women. I know you know that though.
Much like the attempt we make to shed light on Christianity as the unhealthy, immoral and anti-American establishment it is.

We have been quite successful at removing their bad influence from our schools and away from our innocent children that these brainwashers prey upon.

Our job has become easier lately as their hatred and immorality have been brought to the forefront as they try and deny other Americans equal rights under US law. The fight continues and people are leaving their churches in droves.

Knoxville, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 8, 2013

Judged:

Pietro Armando wrote:
<quoted text>
Will u also point out what the Supreme Court meant by the term "marriage", the legal, historic, cultural, and/religious understand of that term as a union of husband and wife? Build on what things?
I'll just point out that the Supreme Court Justices between 1888 and 1966 meant that marriages were between members of the same race. In 1967, they agreed that legally married couples had to be of the same race.

Now, according to you logic, the "Loving" decision in 1967 (i.e. those who said marriage could only involve same race couples) should have continued to hold that marriages can only be between members of the same race. But the Justices "redefined" marriage at that time. They expanded it to include "different race couples".

We believe that the Justices will expand its definition of marriage again by adding same-gender couples.

This definition expansion has already happened in at least three recent federal court cases and the definition has been expanded in 9 states by legislative means.

Knoxville, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 8, 2013

Judged:

In my response above, the first paragraph Should read, "In 1967, they agreed that legally married couples could be of different races".

Since: Mar 12

Milwaukee

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 8, 2013

Judged:

Pietro Armando wrote:
<quoted text>So discuss then. Why does society need men to marry other men/women to marry other women? What is this compelling urge?
So we too can be recognized as family's in society and share the same rights and benefits.

Milwaukee

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 8, 2013

Judged:

Pietro Armando wrote:
<quoted text>Why does "marriage" exist in the first place? Why did it develop throughout time and place as virtually an exclusive relationship of either one man/husband one wife, or one man many wives?

You didn't answer mine. Stop answering questions with questions. Is marriage about sex or religion???????

Still waiting???
Big D

Modesto, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 8, 2013

Judged:

Jaredb8 wrote:
<quoted text>
You didn't answer mine. Stop answering questions with questions. Is marriage about sex or religion???????
Still waiting???
Standing by ready to point out the millions of current marriages where procreation is not possible and many cases where even sex is not possible in the normal sense, and that religion is also not required as any part of a marriage, I have been to many where no religion is referred to in any way at all, including more than one of my children’s marriages.

Sad to say I have not yet been to a same sex marriage ceremony, but would certainly go if invited.
Frankie Rizzo

Union City, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 8, 2013

Judged:

Big D wrote:
<quoted text>
Standing by ready to point out the millions of current marriages where procreation is not possible and many cases where even sex is not possible in the normal sense, and that religion is also not required as any part of a marriage, I have been to many where no religion is referred to in any way at all, including more than one of my children’s marriages.
Sad to say I have not yet been to a same sex marriage ceremony, but would certainly go if invited.
Oh for chrissakes. You mean standing by ready to judge, hate and feel superior.

Milwaukee

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 8, 2013

Judged:

Frankie Rizzo wrote:
<quoted text>Oh for chrissakes. You mean standing by ready to judge, hate and feel superior.
I think he means ready to stand by once the other idiot decides which platform he is standing on about marriage so we can knock him down.
Frankie Rizzo

Union City, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 8, 2013

Judged:

Big D wrote:
<quoted text>
Much like the attempt we make to shed light on Christianity as the unhealthy, immoral and anti-American establishment it is.
We have been quite successful at removing their bad influence from our schools and away from our innocent children that these brainwashers prey upon.
Our job has become easier lately as their hatred and immorality have been brought to the forefront as they try and deny other Americans equal rights under US law. The fight continues and people are leaving their churches in droves.
Hating Christians like you do is anti-American.
Anonymous

Roxbury, CT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 8, 2013

Judged:

poledancer45 wrote:
<quoted text>let me explain something to you biatch my mother fractured my skull for spilling milk on her new kitcken floor when i was five.. she broke my left wrist with a 2 x 4 when i was 9... i left to live when i was 14... did it ever occur to your stupid azz that i am where i am today because of them... wow your thick
Don't try justifying what you do! You blame your problems on your parents, and where you are today! I had issues when I was young too, well younger, and I don't let anything define me! You're in your 40s now you should be able to let go, and do something with your life that's more honorable than degrating your body!
Big D

Modesto, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 8, 2013

Judged:

Frankie Rizzo wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh for chrissakes. You mean standing by ready to judge, hate and feel superior.
We know for a fact that ability or intent to procreate is not a requirement for a marriage license

We know for a fact that the ability or intent to have sex of any specific kind or any at all for that matter is not a requirement for a marriage license

We know for a fact that religion is not any kind of requirement for a marriage license.

I am standing by to educate.

I also happen to know I am dealing with people that believe in the “golden rule” that you treat others the way you want to be treated. So I will happily oblige them and treat them exactly how they treat others.
Big D

Modesto, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 8, 2013

Judged:

Frankie Rizzo wrote:
<quoted text>
Hating Christians like you do is anti-American.
Dot feel picked on, I feel the same about Islam, no better or worse. Or scientology, or Volcano worship

I treat all of them equally
Anonymous

Richmond, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 8, 2013

Judged:

poledancer45 wrote:
<quoted text>Must feel priveledged to have grown up in a nonabussive home you stupid twit
A NONUBUSSIVE HOME?! Are you kidding me? I WAS ABUSED! From the age of 9 until I was 13 until I was able to beat the shit out of my step dad. That m0ther sucker broke my nose 3 times, broke my arm, almost ripped my ear off throwing me through a solid hard wood door, oh yeah but let me tell you it toughened me up. From looking at me you wouldn't know I can throw down like a man because I'm only 5'7'' and 130 lbs, but let me tell you I have yet to find someone who can beat my a$$! I brutely beat the hell out of guys and girls who were twice my size, and that earns you respect!
Anonymous

Richmond, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 8, 2013

Judged:

veryvermilion wrote:
<quoted text>
So, what you're saying is that you sometimes do manly things and that you engage in premarital sex? I'm pretty sure those things are denounced in the scripture that you like to hurl at gays.
Did I ever say that I was a saint? No, I don't live my life directly by the bible, I just know for a fact that it says in there a man shall not lie with another man, so that is why I throw it out there!
Anonymous

Richmond, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 8, 2013

just the facts wrote:
<quoted text>You may not like what she does, that's your problem. She might sell her self, or should I say rent her body out for the pleasure of men, that however does not define who she is. Lets face it, you are married, your husband pays for sex with you.
How the hell do ya figure?

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Oroville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
CA CA Proposition 23 - Global Warming (Oct '10) Wed Donny B 7,922
CA California Proposition 19: the Marijuana Legali... (Oct '10) Tue matches lighters 15,961
Anyone see Marvin Markle lose his sh*t yesterday? (Feb '12) Aug 24 jram1970 88
CA California seeks to ban free, single-use carryo... (Jun '10) Aug 24 Mono 4,996
Recent reports of bodies found/murders in Orovi... Aug 19 Justsaying 1
Review: VALLEY HOME CENTERS Aug 16 Scott Alexander 1
Review: Oroville Tacos Aug 9 Steve M 1
•••
•••

Oroville Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Oroville People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE