Oroville remembers 35-year-old quake

Full story: Oroville Mercury-Register

Thirty-five years ago, on August 1, the citizens of Oroville say there was a lot of shaking going on.
Comments
1 - 7 of 7 Comments Last updated Jan 29, 2012
You Think

Chico, CA

#1 Aug 1, 2010
I remember that quake..MAN! The whole house was was shakin n swayin! It was crazy! Well at least to a 12 year old
Greenhornet

United States

#2 Aug 1, 2010
I remember all the drunk's on Montgomery Steet hanging on to the sidewalk street signs for dear life. Thats when their were several bars downtown.
Susan

Perry, GA

#3 Aug 1, 2010
I remember that day like it was yesterday. My mom, brothers and I had just pulled into the delivery area of the New Method Laundry to wait for my dad, when the ground started to shake. The automotive repair building next to us was made of red brick and it was swaying like molded jello that had been upset. I jumped out of the car and was quickly grabbed by one of the women that worked in the laundry. She held onto me so tight I couldn't breathe. Later that day we found our home was completely desheveled. Nothing was in the cupboards or on the walls and the dog had taken off to parts unknown. He finally came back around nightfall. That was a very nerve wracking summer to say the least.
Vivid

Chico, CA

#5 Aug 2, 2010
We didn't live here at the time, but just happened to be in Oroville that day. I was only six, so don't remember many details. My mom was in a chandelier shop when it hit and my brother and I had been left in the car. GASP;)

Does anyone remember a chandelier shop and where it might have been? I remember turning around and looking down the hill at a TON of people who came flooding out of a grocery store. I've always assumed it was the old Raley's in Currier Square, but I'm not positive.
Redding

United States

#6 Aug 3, 2010
I remember it too. I was 12 years old. My mom and I were in Woolworths. I told her that I was going down to Kinney's Shoe Store to look for new school shoes. I walked away and got side tracked and never left the store. When the earthquake hit, everyone was rushed out of the store. My mom ran down to Kinney's looking for me and all the windows in front had fallen into the store and glass was everywhere. She was frantically looking for me thinking I would be one covered in glass. I came up behind her and said I had never left Woolworths.
Mark

United States

#7 Aug 17, 2010
I remember the quake vividly, playing cards at lunch with my dad and the whole house and table shook. My milk spilled all over the cards and table and I remembered thinking "it wasn't my fault". Our chimney moved about 4 inches away from our house.

On a side note - C'MON OROVILLE MERCURY REGISTER!

"Since then, Minasian said it has become a pretty well excepted theory that filling a dam can trigger quakes."

So since it was 'excepted'...(?!?). does that mean no one believes in the theory?
james

Stanford, CA

#8 Jan 29, 2012
Vivid wrote:
We didn't live here at the time, but just happened to be in Oroville that day. I was only six, so don't remember many details. My mom was in a chandelier shop when it hit and my brother and I had been left in the car. GASP;)
Does anyone remember a chandelier shop and where it might have been? I remember turning around and looking down the hill at a TON of people who came flooding out of a grocery store. I've always assumed it was the old Raley's in Currier Square, but I'm not positive.
Long before Raleys there was a Currier Brothers Market there that had everything under one roof. It stood there from about 1950 to about 1990, or so.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Oroville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
CA California seeks to ban free, single-use carryo... (Jun '10) 4 hr go away 5,007
CA Judge overturns California's ban on same-sex ma... (Aug '10) 4 hr Soaked good 200,593
CA California Proposition 19: the Marijuana Legali... (Oct '10) 12 hr lazy posts 15,963
CA CA Proposition 23 - Global Warming (Oct '10) Thu Tank ever 7,926
Anyone see Marvin Markle lose his sh*t yesterday? (Feb '12) Aug 24 jram1970 88
Recent reports of bodies found/murders in Orovi... Aug 19 Justsaying 1
Review: VALLEY HOME CENTERS Aug 16 Scott Alexander 1
•••
•••
•••

Oroville Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••