Hero awarded at tonight's city council

The Oroville City Council will today recognize Ernie Reynolds for a heroic action taken in 1972, and later consider letters asking the city to rename Wyandotte Avenue as Martin Luther King Jr. Full Story
justice for whom

Paradise, CA

#1 Mar 3, 2009
Award 37 years later??????????
Leave Wyandotte Street Name alone. Do people realize how many maps and records have to be changed just to change one name, not just county level, state. At what cost? Why not honor the fact that it has been Wyandotte Ave for 60+years.Aptly named for the Wyandotte water district of the time. Wyandotte Ave. School, Grange, etc. We built an entire park named Martin Luther King Jr. Why change the history of the street for a few. There are subdivisions being built name one of those new streets Martin Luther King Jr.
Oroville resident

Sacramento, CA

#2 Mar 3, 2009
I agree with "justice for whom"
It is crazy the hoops that we have to jump through to make a few people happy!
Really

United States

#3 Mar 3, 2009
Incompetent Chief Trostle looking for anything to divert attention from his inexperience.

Hey Chief concentrate on your expertise i.e. skateboarders and bicycle riders.
What is this

United States

#4 Mar 3, 2009
Ramsey's welfare fraud investigator (Trostle) is
now Oroville's Chief of Police ??

Talk about a fish out of water..wheww I fear for your safety Oroville.
asdf

Oroville, CA

#5 Mar 3, 2009
asd
Bob Freebur

Chico, CA

#6 Mar 3, 2009
Scared of Oroville's police safety? Check out who's running the Fire Department!! Yikes!!!
LWright

Phoenix, AZ

#7 Mar 3, 2009
Forgive me for being naive,and I guess I understand the connection to MLK park and all. But if Wyandotte Ave is changed won't that tend to keep blacks and whites separated? I may not be expressing my thoughts clearly, if they change a street name, why not Mitchell Ave? Why keep the recognition buried in Southside?
what about this

Chico, CA

#8 Mar 3, 2009
why is it everyone want to change a street to MLK,jr, is it a race card thing? The did it in Chico and cause a mess for months due to it's change. Think about the overall cost for people and businesses on the street in question, changing all the postal dept, as well as business cards etc. Be glad who you are no matter your color, and be free to express it, just don't force out the local history for someone probably would know butte county or Oroville if you ask them. I feel if they want a MLK,jr street propose it be on a NEW street in some new housing area, not that i would move to a racial motivated street named housing area. leave the name the way it is because of the history, and if those who support the change don't like it, move to the country and name your street what ya want to, if you can afford it. I'm so sick of losing my rights to everything to be politically correct, because if you ask me, anything political if phucked up totally by the politicians, so if you want to be politically correct, move back to the county you came from, and then bitch about politics and see if you live thru tommarow, if you don't like it here, leave. nuff said
d dozier

Ukiah, CA

#9 Mar 21, 2009
What about the article on Ernie Reynolds and the award he received "37" years after doing something he should have been recognized for at the time, or shortly after. I personally thank him for his actions,and if I only had known of this award being presented a little sooner.I would have done my best to thank him in person. The man Ernie Reynolds apprehended was Rutherford, and the man Rutherford killed was my Uncle Mac "Perry farmer" who had two kids. I am very glad that the courts today have metal detectors to prevent these ugly things from happening. So Mr. Ernie Reynolds, Thank You!
kyle dozier

Antioch, CA

#10 Nov 28, 2013
d dozier wrote:
What about the article on Ernie Reynolds and the award he received "37" years after doing something he should have been recognized for at the time, or shortly after. I personally thank him for his actions,and if I only had known of this award being presented a little sooner.I would have done my best to thank him in person. The man Ernie Reynolds apprehended was Rutherford, and the man Rutherford killed was my Uncle Mac "Perry farmer" who had two kids. I am very glad that the courts today have metal detectors to prevent these ugly things from happening. So Mr. Ernie Reynolds, Thank You!
Thank you,

I just found this post and I couldn't agree more. My Uncle Mac was a great man and to have him cut down in the prime of his life was nothing less than a devastating blow to me and my entire family. He was Shot down by a mentally ill person who had the decency to commit suicide as "they claimed". Although I was only 10 years old when it happened I looked forward to visiting with my Uncle Mac every chance I got. I will never forget the time I was fortunate enough to spend with my Uncle Mac. So thank you very much Mr. Ernie Reynolds I hope you get the chance to read this. You sir are a hero in my eyes.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Oroville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Laser treatment that tackles toenail fungus ava... (Jan '09) Dec 12 Gary Puntman 165
Police Shooting on April 28 / victim Victor Col... (May '14) Dec 6 Retired Law 2
School Closings: Port Huron, Marysville (Feb '08) Nov 25 hpallett 11
Men injured in Oroville shooting Nov 24 deborahughes 1
Oroville super Walmart project appeals consider... (Dec '10) Nov '14 mikmax 73
Historic Bridge Part of the Virginia Turnpike T... (Apr '14) Nov '14 American Gentlema... 2
Butte vows to defy unfunded mandates: Superviso... (Feb '09) Nov '14 backyard223 22
Oroville Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web

Oroville People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Oroville News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Oroville

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]

NFL Latest News

Updated 12:42 am PST