$1.1 million in cuts needed, OCESD tr...

$1.1 million in cuts needed, OCESD trustees take first look at trimming budget

There are 29 comments on the Oroville Mercury-Register story from Feb 3, 2011, titled $1.1 million in cuts needed, OCESD trustees take first look at trimming budget. In it, Oroville Mercury-Register reports that:

Although opinions differed Wednesday night on how to do it, one thing was clear for trustees of Oroville City Elementary School District: They have to clip $1.1 million from the budget.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Oroville Mercury-Register.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last

“eHillbilly on Twitter”

Since: Mar 10

Oroville, PRK

#1 Feb 3, 2011
Looks like that "use it or lose it" and the "use it quicker so next year it will be bigger" thinking in relation to educational budgeting is starting to bite some people in the butt.

Often times there is money sitting in budget funds and it gets spent because it is there, not because it is needed. They go *looking* for crap to spend it on as if they don't, they are afraid they'll get a smaller amount the next year.

As an example, how about getting away from these bogus trainings (that usually just turn into complaint sessions), most of which are done just because there is "money in the budget". Turn those into furlough days and tell the unions to "KMA".

Also, the recent technology upgrades done "because the money is there" were a pretty penny. How about all the recent fence construction too? They could also quit the little textbook games done after each schmooze fest. Or what about all they spent on the new substitute system.

It's hard to feel sorry for them when they are doing it to themselves and expecting the taxpayers to keep being bled to death so they can play their budgetary games. I say cut them deep and get back to what is needed, not this bloated unresponsive organization they have become.
Oroville

Chico, CA

#2 Feb 3, 2011
I find it interesting that the OCESD board would consider cutting the GATE program at Central Middle School but there was no mention of cutting the GATE program at Ophir. How much more is this school district going to take away from the students at Central??? First, they split the middle school students into two select groups, in my opinion, and continue to take from a group of students who the district feels are not as deserving. They set the students up at Central to fail. They direct students from a lower economic area into Central and direct students from a middle economic area into Ishi. Shame on the school district. Be fair in the treatment of all students, if you are going to cut the GATE program at one school, you better cut the GATE program at the Ophir as well.
Time for Change

Long Beach, CA

#3 Feb 3, 2011
Come on teachers! Step up and take some furlough days. Would you rather sit back and watch student programs get cut because of your greed? Nobody wants to take a pay cut but I doubt it will bankrupt you. Most districts are dealing with this same problem. I think it's ridiculou that unions even have to agree to this. The Governor should have the power to cut the school year by 5 days state-wide. Unions have grown into an ugly monster with WAY too much power!

Since: Nov 10

Location hidden

#4 Feb 3, 2011
Lets start cutting at the top. We don't need District Administrators making $130K to $140K salaries, along with inflated salaries for their staff.

Then we can start discussing increasing the class size back up to 30 per classroom like it used to be. They reduced the class size in order to get better results, and this has not occured.

And the next step would be to eliminate tenure, and start firing teachers who don't perform.
Put kids first

Lincoln, CA

#5 Feb 3, 2011
Cut administrators and their outrageous salaries!
bummer

Oroville, CA

#6 Feb 3, 2011
It sounds like the teachers may have to do what is ultimately best for the students and not themselves.
class sizes

Long Beach, CA

#7 Feb 3, 2011
Most schools in the OCESD have already increased their class sizes to 30.
sad times

Oroville, CA

#8 Feb 3, 2011
Ranmn7 wrote:
Lets start cutting at the top. We don't need District Administrators making $130K to $140K salaries, along with inflated salaries for their staff.
Then we can start discussing increasing the class size back up to 30 per classroom like it used to be. They reduced the class size in order to get better results, and this has not occured.
And the next step would be to eliminate tenure, and start firing teachers who don't perform.
Amen! Tenure needs to go away... Burned out teachers who do the bare minimum are poor examples for students..We need teachers that are idealistic and energetic. We need teachers who really beleive they can make a difference and put in effort to reach kids. This situation is unfortunate and programs like GATE and band can often bring out talents kids never knew they had...Maybe it's time for teacher's unions to put more of a focus what is best for the students.
Gary

United States

#9 Feb 3, 2011
Ranmn7 wrote:
Lets start cutting at the top. We don't need District Administrators making $130K to $140K salaries, along with inflated salaries for their staff.
Then we can start discussing increasing the class size back up to 30 per classroom like it used to be. They reduced the class size in order to get better results, and this has not occured.
And the next step would be to eliminate tenure, and start firing teachers who don't perform.
Can't improve on this post......It didn't go unnoticed, however, that among the cuts were "some administrators", which properly interpreted, I'm sure means "bottom level" administrators. Those at the top are above cuts to themselves, and I'm sure feel that their full attention to the problem is warranted, as are THEIR full salaries. Remember that tired old reasoning for high salaries folks..... they are needed to attract the top talent...
Hmmmm

Long Beach, CA

#10 Feb 3, 2011
Gary wrote:
<quoted text>
Can't improve on this post......It didn't go unnoticed, however, that among the cuts were "some administrators", which properly interpreted, I'm sure means "bottom level" administrators. Those at the top are above cuts to themselves, and I'm sure feel that their full attention to the problem is warranted, as are THEIR full salaries. Remember that tired old reasoning for high salaries folks..... they are needed to attract the top talent...
The article said that the Superintendent, Associate Superintendent and Assistant Superintendent were getting their contracts reduced by 10 days. Those are the top three administrators in the district, not the bottom. I may be wrong, but I think their only other administrators left are school principals. I don't recall them having vice principals anymore.
Basic

Gridley, CA

#11 Feb 3, 2011
Any chance of cutting the bottled water out of the picture? Also cutting Gate is a great idea.

Since: Nov 10

Location hidden

#12 Feb 3, 2011
Hmmmm wrote:
<quoted text>
The article said that the Superintendent, Associate Superintendent and Assistant Superintendent were getting their contracts reduced by 10 days. Those are the top three administrators in the district, not the bottom. I may be wrong, but I think their only other administrators left are school principals. I don't recall them having vice principals anymore.
These people have personal assistants if I'm not mistaken. Cutting 10 days is like reducing their salary by what 80 hours a year? I believe the Superintendent makes around $130,000 a year, which equates to $62.50 an hour.

So the 10 day furlough equates to approximately $5000.00 for the one individual.

I prefer the concept of firing him, and replacing him with someone who makes say $90,000.00 a year. That would save $60,000.00 a year. Much better math in my opinion.

Since: Nov 10

Location hidden

#13 Feb 3, 2011
Ranmn7 wrote:
<quoted text>
These people have personal assistants if I'm not mistaken. Cutting 10 days is like reducing their salary by what 80 hours a year? I believe the Superintendent makes around $130,000 a year, which equates to $62.50 an hour.
So the 10 day furlough equates to approximately $5000.00 for the one individual.
I prefer the concept of firing him, and replacing him with someone who makes say $90,000.00 a year. That would save $60,000.00 a year. Much better math in my opinion.
Oops typoed the number its $40,000.00. Savings.

But this is for one individual.

Since: Nov 10

Location hidden

#14 Feb 3, 2011
Gary wrote:
<quoted text>
Can't improve on this post......It didn't go unnoticed, however, that among the cuts were "some administrators", which properly interpreted, I'm sure means "bottom level" administrators. Those at the top are above cuts to themselves, and I'm sure feel that their full attention to the problem is warranted, as are THEIR full salaries. Remember that tired old reasoning for high salaries folks..... they are needed to attract the top talent...
That 'top talent' is not providing top performance, look at the results of kids academic testing.

When they start producing top performance, then we can discuss higher salaries. Why should we pay for a rock star to teach reading, writing and arithmetic?

I would be much happier with a base salary type system, then performance rated bonus for their pay scale. Kids fall below standards, they get no bonus. Whats wrong with that?
Oroville

Chico, CA

#15 Feb 3, 2011
OMG, some who are posting comments don't know what your talking about. First, OCESD Superintendent is a "she" not a "he", this shows that the person posting doesn't even know much about the OCESD. Do some investigating before you start making comments about things you may not be familiar with.
Put kids first

Lincoln, CA

#16 Feb 3, 2011
Yeah, get your facts straight. The OCESD makes $162,997 a year, not $130,000...

See for yourself:

http://www.sacbee.com/2011/01/26/995141/see-h...
Thought

Yuba City, CA

#17 Feb 3, 2011
I agree with Penny, on cutting out the gate and music programs over at the middle school(s) and elementary school(s). It is this sort of trend, going towards equity, that we should start focusing on. Another thought for the people is...we need to start thinking about what is being taught inside the classrooms; I get this feeling that maybe a little more teaching involving having more repect for teachers and the building of one's character (student's that is) will in the long run help out with our academics. Along side this, we need to focus more on what is being done at home, it will greatly shape our students' academic success.
Thought

Yuba City, CA

#18 Feb 3, 2011
Oroville wrote:
I find it interesting that the OCESD board would consider cutting the GATE program at Central Middle School but there was no mention of cutting the GATE program at Ophir. How much more is this school district going to take away from the students at Central??? First, they split the middle school students into two select groups, in my opinion, and continue to take from a group of students who the district feels are not as deserving. They set the students up at Central to fail. They direct students from a lower economic area into Central and direct students from a middle economic area into Ishi. Shame on the school district. Be fair in the treatment of all students, if you are going to cut the GATE program at one school, you better cut the GATE program at the Ophir as well.
In reply to the post on--if cutting the GATE program at one school should result in cutting the same program at other schools too--I can agree on. But, when you're talking about how Central school is, I think it best if you actually go by the school again (2011) and see what has changed. It is not as low as you may think it to be; it has actually become a very positive school--a school in which other schools should start looking at. Good going Central Middle School! To the admin, staff, parents, and students....you're all doing good and going in the right direction!
Central parent

Oroville, CA

#19 Feb 4, 2011
GATE is a big part of what makes Central such a great school. A lot of high achieving students will go look for other options if the Board eliminates GATE.
Correction

Long Beach, CA

#20 Feb 4, 2011
Thought wrote:
I agree with Penny, on cutting out the gate and music programs over at the middle school(s) and elementary school(s). It is this sort of trend, going towards equity, that we should start focusing on. Another thought for the people is...we need to start thinking about what is being taught inside the classrooms; I get this feeling that maybe a little more teaching involving having more repect for teachers and the building of one's character (student's that is) will in the long run help out with our academics. Along side this, we need to focus more on what is being done at home, it will greatly shape our students' academic success.
It's so easy to point fingers at who is responsible for kids failing. Parents need to be greatly involved with the children's lifves and teach them how to be responsible citizens. It takes parents AND teachers to make our kids successful in school. Everyone needs to take ownership for their part.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Oroville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Man shot multiple times in Berry Creek a disputea 14 hr tdrake 1
News More than 500 in Butte schools have pay and ben... Nov 21 Disproportionate 1
News Arrest made in transient stabbing in Chico (Nov '09) Nov 12 Reddic 30
News Council candidate Quintel wants to reduce busin... (Oct '10) Nov 11 TheKing 27
News Search teams look for at-risk Berry Creek man Nov 9 Rick 2
News Butte County jury convicts Vallejo man in home-... (Jun '08) Nov '16 Bouie sister 2
Need help identifying this Richvale family Oct '16 Terpy 1

Oroville Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Oroville Mortgages