Letter: Get serious about state budge...

Letter: Get serious about state budget problem

There are 50 comments on the Oroville Mercury-Register story from Jan 23, 2011, titled Letter: Get serious about state budget problem. In it, Oroville Mercury-Register reports that:

Contrary to Gov. Jerry Brown's claim, his proposed spending plan for the fiscal year starting July 1 does not end the state's continual deficits nor balance the budget for the next few years.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Oroville Mercury-Register.

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
welfare mart

Rocklin, CA

#41 Jan 26, 2011
Middle of the road wrote:
<quoted text>
Prop 13 was and still is a good idea butt it needs to be fixed. The people who wrote it did so to benefit commercial properties.
I have a friend who started a business butt couldn't compete with a similar business because his property tax was substantially more than the existing competition.
Yep , corporations are the big winners with prop 13 due to the fact corporations have the potential to have an unlimited lifespan against inflation while humans do not .
Huh

Clearlake, CA

#42 Feb 8, 2011
<quoted text>
Prop 13 was and still is a good idea butt it needs to be fixed. The people who wrote it did so to benefit commercial properties.
I have a friend who started a business butt couldn't compete with a similar business because his property tax was substantially more than the existing competition.
Yup. It's a real biyatch when government policy decides who will make a buck.
Best idea is to get the government the hell out of those processes.
For example; A new home will include 30-75k in fees and taxes(depending upon where you build i.e. sewer, water, school mitigation, fire mitigation, drainage fees, building permits) prior to turning over a shovel of dirt. Who is making money?
Nobody but the government.
This state is killing the goose that laid the golden egg.(the calif. economy)
Disgruntled

Chico, CA

#43 Feb 8, 2011
The problem is you won't consider his(or any) plan viable unless it is exactly what you want, which is exactly why we are in the mess we are in.
Disgruntled

Chico, CA

#44 Feb 8, 2011
Taxpayer wrote:
Now that was a great letter!
-No it wasn't.
Middle of the road

Rancho Cordova, CA

#45 Feb 8, 2011
Huh wrote:
<quoted text>
Yup. It's a real biyatch when government policy decides who will make a buck.
Best idea is to get the government the hell out of those processes.
For example; A new home will include 30-75k in fees and taxes(depending upon where you build i.e. sewer, water, school mitigation, fire mitigation, drainage fees, building permits) prior to turning over a shovel of dirt. Who is making money?
Nobody but the government.
This state is killing the goose that laid the golden egg.(the calif. economy)
I'm all for developer fees. I paid for the sewer plant we use. I paid for the bonds that built the schools my kids went to. I pay through the nose for road construction and maintenance that the “new -bees” want for free.

No, I’m all for developer/user fees.

And I’ll go one step further: When a person sells a piece of real -estate (undeveloped land) to a developer, the person who sells the property should have to put money into an escrow account to pay for all initial/basic infrastructure on that property.
Duh

Clearlake, CA

#46 Feb 9, 2011
<quoted text>
I'm all for developer fees. I paid for the sewer plant we use. I paid for the bonds that built the schools my kids went to. I pay through the nose for road construction and maintenance that the “new -bees” want for free.
And I’ll go one step further: When a person sells a piece of real -estate (undeveloped land) to a developer, the person who sells the property should have to put money into an escrow account to pay for all initial/basic infrastructure on that property.
Property taxes are paid on vacant lots up to the time they are developed, and then the assessments go through the roof along with developer fees. Vacant lot owners pay for services not rendered until they build. Where does all of that money go?
Large parcels must install their own utilities/roads as a cost of doing business in addition to fees and taxes assessed for construction.
Most of the unemployment in NorCal is in the construction industry. There is no new construction, as the costs mandated by government simply make the process too expensive.
The future will hold the same fate for the remainder of the economy of calif. It is not worth the trouble anymore. Only the government is making money in the processes while sucking the private sector dry at every turn.
Enjoy your dwindling fees while they last.
The more you tax something, the less you get of that item. How's the developer fee hikes working out for ya?
Duh

Clearlake, CA

#47 Feb 9, 2011
And, I'll go one step further.
The construction industry has been completely devastated by government policy through the permitting process and greedy government.
Go ahead and raise your developer fees and assessments, nobody is building anything stupid.
Nothing from nothing will put nothing in your greedy government escrow account.
Reality

Vallejo, CA

#48 Feb 9, 2011
Lots of air about taxes, but that is not the main problem. We have a democrat oligopoly that has a spending problem, not a taxing problem.

Caps are placed on the amount retired generals can earn. Why not an initiative that would cap all retirements to $80K per year.(Index it, of course). For current retirees, it would phase in over four years. Protects those, "working people."

“Facts”

Since: May 08

Location hidden

#49 May 5, 2011
<quoted text>
That would stop people from buying property for investments....LOL

Hey road toad…….Thanks for helping me keep this post in front of as many people as possible.
It is great for a laugh…….
You should read the personal messages that people are sending……………
They really can’t believe that you could be so dumb………..LOL

What are you afraid of??

http://www.topix.com/forum/state/ca/T3VS9F3MO...

Post 71

For many years I worked as a government employee who earned significantly less than contractors working on the same job. The harassment was very intense and hurtful at times.

Do you know how demoralizing it is to be told by management to assist in every means possible a consultant who makes twice what you make? Get that? Politicians hire top dollar consultants and then direct low paid rank and file state employees to do the work the consultant is being paid to do.

Makes you just love those republican bosses!

Yet even with my less than prevailing wages I shopped and supported union businesses. I wouldn’t shop at wally -mart or target. I’d rather pay a little more for American made than for chi -com crap.

And as there is less and less union made items on the shelves it’s becoming impossible to support American labor so I to will now spend a significant amount of my CALPERS and Social Security on out -of -state/country items/services.

I’m buying a new travel trailer and it’s coming from out of state because I couldn’t see buying something from my California neighbors who want to screw me out of my retirement.

Oh and the moron with the link to the poll, my wife took a 14% cut in wages, pays more into her PERS and contributes more to her medical benefits.

Then in post # 99 I posted this and you said you would answer the question after I answered your question and that I have done many times including on the thread I started just for you
Why won’t you answer the question??
What are you afraid of??

Was it floored in California??
Was it prepped in California?
Was it sold in California?
Was it registered in California?
Did a dealer in California make money and pay income tax on it?
Did someone wash it each week that it sat on a lot in California and have a job and pay taxes?
Was it ever run in a TV, Newspaper or radio ad in California and did the advertiser pay taxes on any of that money?

Why are you so afraid to answer the questions that you said you would after I answered yours????

“Facts”

Since: May 08

Location hidden

#50 Oct 12, 2011
<quoted text>
Were you telling a fat gore road toad???

Post # 102 with you responding to my list of questions..........LOL
http://www.topix.com/forum/state/ca/T3VS9F3MO...

Here Is One wrote:
<quoted text>
Why won’t you answer the question??
What are you afraid of??
Was it floored in California??
Was it prepped in California?
Was it sold in California?
Was it registered in California?
Did a dealer in California make money and pay income tax on it?
Did someone wash it each week that it sat on a lot in California and have a job and pay taxes?
Was it ever run in a TV, Newspaper or radio ad in California and did the advertiser pay taxes on any of that money?
You complain about corporations not paying tax and you do the same thing they do…………….LOL
Typical far left of the road……………..LOL

road toad said
I'll be glad to answer your questions right after you answer the qustion I asked you first.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Oroville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
BECAREFULL tenage GIRLS!!! in MARYSVILLE!!! (Jul '08) 6 hr Williamsville 4
does Marysville requires sidewalk built prior t... May 15 quan 1
News Governor Brown Issues Emergency Declaration For... Apr '17 Fucisil 8
News Loud crowd disagreed with most of LaMalfaa s po... Apr '17 Was Not Coherent 1
News Vallejo gas prices hit highs not seen in five y... Apr '17 tps 7
News Search teams look for at-risk Berry Creek man (Oct '16) Apr '17 Rick 4
News Dropkick Murphys and Rancid set for July concer... Mar '17 West Coast Alert 1

Oroville Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Oroville Mortgages