Gold Country Casino lays off 50 employees

Full story: Oroville Mercury-Register

The cards have stacked against Gold Country Casino as a result of the economic downturn, forcing the casino and hotel to recently lay off 50 employees.
Comments
1 - 20 of 21 Comments Last updated Apr 28, 2013
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
yuppers

Chico, CA

#1 Jan 29, 2009
What? cmon Oroville get second and third jobs and support the casino, we cannot let them lay off more people spend that money you CANT WIN IF YOU DONT PLAY!!lol

“An Erudite Hillbilly”

Since: Mar 08

Lake Oroville, CA

#2 Jan 29, 2009
My motto when it comes to gambling is "you don't lose if you don't play".
Whatever

Oroville, CA

#3 Jan 29, 2009
My prayers are being answered.
wont retun

Chico, CA

#4 Jan 29, 2009
The food is just awful I will NOT return... As for the buffet it all tastes the same. The deserts all have sat out to long and have formed a crust. Hey I can go to hometown buffet and get just o.k.
The steaks at the steakhouse are not very good. I would rather for the money go to Chico to a steakhouse get a better AGED cut. As for the cafe -by the way WAS pretty good has gone down hill fast.
So sad that they have let the casino take a dive. My friends used to say lets go out to brunch or dinner to the casino but no more.You know just word of mouth will be a hard thing to over come.
Its sad but true they will have more lay offs. they will have to make the money from the buses that come in.. It's sure not worth the trip for the locals.
I think they have poor management and they need to see what does work. Rolling Hills has fantastic food, Great prizes, Go learn something, or just sit and pay the tribe nothing in the years to come look on the bright side they can enjoy the new health club!
great

Hayward, CA

#5 Jan 29, 2009
i hope they close down and everyone has no job, that place is a dump and i hate the indians
Johnny

Chico, CA

#6 Jan 29, 2009
Its unfortunate but service providers must remember that consumers may choose where they spend money, cutting services and reducing the quality of food led us to the competitor if they cut the same services we will head for another place or stay home. Mr. Great you should get your head examined thats an aweful thing to say.
South County

United States

#7 Jan 31, 2009
Tim Pro wrote:
My motto when it comes to gambling is "you don't lose if you don't play".
My sentiments exactly. Why throw money away? It seems pretty idiotic to me, especially during this uncertain time.

Perhaps they can turn the casino into a homeless shelter. That would be the humanitarian thing to do.
batman

Paradise, CA

#8 Jan 31, 2009
Why cant we just print more money for are state, we're obviously in need of it

“An Erudite Hillbilly”

Since: Mar 08

Lake Oroville, CA

#9 Feb 3, 2009
South County wrote:
Perhaps they can turn the casino into a homeless shelter. That would be the humanitarian thing to do.
Great idea... considering how they talk about how much they contribute to the community (although I'm sure it's nowhere what they would be contributing if they were taxed.)
setting it straight

Paradise, CA

#10 Feb 3, 2009
Hey "great", you hope they close the casino and everyone loses their job?? Thats funny, because if they lose their jobs, they wont pay taxes and you won't get your welfare check or your food stamps, heck your mom might even have to start working the streets 7 nights a week instead of just 5, just like your sister does now.

You hate the indians, good, we hate trash like you too. Go back to Oakland, dog!
great

Hayward, CA

#11 Feb 4, 2009
setting it straight wrote:
Hey "great", you hope they close the casino and everyone loses their job?? Thats funny, because if they lose their jobs, they wont pay taxes and you won't get your welfare check or your food stamps, heck your mom might even have to start working the streets 7 nights a week instead of just 5, just like your sister does now.
You hate the indians, good, we hate trash like you too. Go back to Oakland, dog!
Mexican pride from Los Molinos---we dont got no casinos up here and we dont care. We anit go no engine problems here either, they stay outta this area
Vern

AOL

#12 Feb 4, 2009
Just curious but how many that were Indian were layed off?
gary

Shasta Lake, CA

#13 Feb 4, 2009
great wrote:
<quoted text>
Mexican pride from Los Molinos---we dont got no casinos up here and we dont care. We anit go no engine problems here either, they stay outta this area
Geez....is this guy's grasp of english for real? If he was born in America, he must not have gone past the 2nd grade!!!!
what if

Chico, CA

#14 Feb 4, 2009
great wrote:
i hope they close down and everyone has no job, that place is a dump and i hate the indians
That is messed up how would you like to lose your job and if you had a family then what dont take your attitude out on the employees just because you dont like the casino.. or Indians... sounds like maybe you got
kicked out of there or something your so negative about the casino laying people off..
Vern

AOL

#15 Feb 4, 2009
what if wrote:
<quoted text>That is messed up how would you like to lose your job and if you had a family then what dont take your attitude out on the employees just because you dont like the casino.. or Indians... sounds like maybe you got
kicked out of there or something your so negative about the casino laying people off..
I dont like the way the casino's treat their employees. I've heard some horror stories.
But they had jobs and it is sad to see anyone laid off in todays economy. It just plain sucks!
batman

Paradise, CA

#16 Feb 4, 2009
great wrote:
i hope they close down and everyone has no job, that place is a dump and i hate the indians
Well guess what Indians hate you too
Its me

United States

#17 Feb 5, 2009
Dont put Indian Pride on your car it's just plain embarrasing. It's like saying we get welefare money!!!
always on time

United States

#18 Feb 5, 2009
Its me wrote:
Dont put Indian Pride on your car it's just plain embarrasing. It's like saying we get welefare money!!!
It's "welfare".
jhonny boy

Citrus Heights, CA

#19 Apr 28, 2013
this is a tricky.place. I'm from Georgia so this is big-time luxery for me as long as you avoid eye contact with the dealers and employees and use very small bills on slots and table games it allows less chance for missed opportunity and gets the slot to the winning position by resetting its standard functions. separating losers from winners. once you win cash out get all ones fives and tens to play with then repeat process.(blackjack and standard slots!) no digital.
jhonny boy

Citrus Heights, CA

#20 Apr 28, 2013
yuppers wrote:
What? cmon Oroville get second and third jobs and support the casino, we cannot let them lay off more people spend that money you CANT WIN IF YOU DONT PLAY!!lol
oh i won 1856.73

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Oroville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
CA Judge overturns California's ban on same-sex ma... (Aug '10) 1 hr KiMare 200,607
CA California Proposition 19: the Marijuana Legali... (Oct '10) 4 hr Brett Weir 15,965
CA California seeks to ban free, single-use carryo... (Jun '10) 9 hr Duh 5,015
CA CA Proposition 23 - Global Warming (Oct '10) 15 hr napalmers 7,933
Anyone see Marvin Markle lose his sh*t yesterday? (Feb '12) Aug 24 jram1970 88
Recent reports of bodies found/murders in Orovi... Aug 19 Justsaying 1
Review: VALLEY HOME CENTERS Aug 16 Scott Alexander 1
•••
•••
•••

Oroville Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Oroville People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••

Oroville News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Oroville
•••

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]
•••