Super Wal-mart still in progress

Super Wal-mart still in progress

There are 141 comments on the Oroville Mercury-Register story from Feb 6, 2009, titled Super Wal-mart still in progress. In it, Oroville Mercury-Register reports that:

The Wal-Mart Supercenter proposed for Oroville is still moving through environmental studies, with traffic impacts now being assessed.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Oroville Mercury-Register.

Happy for Wally

United States

#21 Feb 11, 2009
Its me wrote:
Who cares about all the small businesses in down town Oroville. They are all way over priced and have very little selection. It's a joke. We need the super Wal Mart and Im glad it's coming, so get over it. Woot Woot Horay for the Super Wal Mart....
I agree with you. Everyone can say what they want. Yes Wal Mart does do things that are not fair to their workers, but still people got there to shop. 2 grocery stores in Town, and one is so over priced its unreal. Its about time for a Super Wal Mart, and for those that don't want to shop there, don't, you must have a lot more money to spend than most around Oroville.

“I'm Not Grumpy, I'm in Pain.”

Since: Feb 09

Butte County

#22 Feb 12, 2009
Happy for Wally wrote:
<quoted text>
I agree with you. Everyone can say what they want. Yes Wal Mart does do things that are not fair to their workers, but still people got there to shop. 2 grocery stores in Town, and one is so over priced its unreal. Its about time for a Super Wal Mart, and for those that don't want to shop there, don't, you must have a lot more money to spend than most around Oroville.
I probably have a lot less money to spend than most around here, but refuse to support a company that is largely responsible for putting a majority of American manufacturing workers in the unemployment line.

Don't you care about your country and the well-being of your fellow citizens? Or do you only care about yourself?

I guess things haven't gotten bad enough yet for you to realize who is responsible for the mess we're in. It's the "Hooray for Wal-Mart" crowd.

Every dollar you spend there buries us a little deeper.
gary

Redwood Valley, CA

#23 Feb 12, 2009
South County wrote:
<quoted text>
I probably have a lot less money to spend than most around here, but refuse to support a company that is largely responsible for putting a majority of American manufacturing workers in the unemployment line.
Don't you care about your country and the well-being of your fellow citizens? Or do you only care about yourself?
I guess things haven't gotten bad enough yet for you to realize who is responsible for the mess we're in. It's the "Hooray for Wal-Mart" crowd.
Every dollar you spend there buries us a little deeper.
Oh, puhleez!!! So now Walmart is solely responsible for all of our economic woes??? For that, there is enough blame to spread over the entire corporate world in America. It is not just manufacturing that has left the country....have you called for support on just about anything lately? Good luck understanding what the person at the other end is saying...each one that you talk to took a job from an American, so don't try to sell the theory that Walmart is responsible for all of the job losses in America......

“I'm Not Grumpy, I'm in Pain.”

Since: Feb 09

Butte County

#24 Feb 12, 2009
gary wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh, puhleez!!! So now Walmart is solely responsible for all of our economic woes??? For that, there is enough blame to spread over the entire corporate world in America. It is not just manufacturing that has left the country....have you called for support on just about anything lately? Good luck understanding what the person at the other end is saying...each one that you talk to took a job from an American, so don't try to sell the theory that Walmart is responsible for all of the job losses in America......
Wal-Mart is not solely responsible for the offshoring trend, but they were among the first and are certainly the largest and most prominent as far as retailers go. Others followed in droves in an effort to stay competitive.

Wal-Mart and others like them are not responsible for American job losses...the consumers that ignorantly and happily continue to shop there are.

And yes, I am very familiar with offshore tech support. I deal with the incomprehensible gibberish on a daily basis.
Happy for Wally

United States

#25 Feb 12, 2009
South County wrote:
<quoted text>
Wal-Mart is not solely responsible for the offshoring trend, but they were among the first and are certainly the largest and most prominent as far as retailers go. Others followed in droves in an effort to stay competitive.
Wal-Mart and others like them are not responsible for American job losses...the consumers that ignorantly and happily continue to shop there are.
And yes, I am very familiar with offshore tech support. I deal with the incomprehensible gibberish on a daily basis.
So you are saying that Wal mart started or was the first to import goods out of the US!!! How do you figure that out, how many decades have we been importing from other countries?? No one else thought about except wal mart your saying then.
welcome Super WalMart

Rancho Cordova, CA

#26 Feb 12, 2009
I am so happy that Oroville is getting a Super store. The unions have put out hit pieces about WalMart for years and it looks like the walking,mindless mouth pieces are posting here. Thank goodness we don't have the union here. WalMart is all apart of the American dream Mr. Walton was a very wise business man. WELCOME SUPER STORE. And just think after you go to the local theater ( who this town fought against ) you can shop in a very nice store with friendly greeters to welcome you. I can't wait.

“I'm Not Grumpy, I'm in Pain.”

Since: Feb 09

Butte County

#27 Feb 12, 2009
Happy for Wally wrote:
<quoted text>
So you are saying that Wal mart started or was the first to import goods out of the US!!! How do you figure that out, how many decades have we been importing from other countries?? No one else thought about except wal mart your saying then.
NO. I am saying that Wal-Mart and their cutthroat purchasing tactics are forcing manufacturers to make their products elsewhere to remain in business. This results in the closing of US factories and the loss of US jobs.

There are several books available on the subject, read a few. It really isn't difficult to understand. Wal-Mart wasn't the first, but they are the largest, and have the most impact on consumers and retailers alike.

“I'm Not Grumpy, I'm in Pain.”

Since: Feb 09

Butte County

#28 Feb 12, 2009
welcome Super WalMart wrote:
I am so happy that Oroville is getting a Super store. The unions have put out hit pieces about WalMart for years and it looks like the walking,mindless mouth pieces are posting here. Thank goodness we don't have the union here. WalMart is all apart of the American dream Mr. Walton was a very wise business man. WELCOME SUPER STORE. And just think after you go to the local theater ( who this town fought against ) you can shop in a very nice store with friendly greeters to welcome you. I can't wait.
Sam Walton was a wise businessman and would never have shot himself in the foot as the current company leadership has done. Sam is surely rolling in his grave these days. The company he started is now preying upon the American working class by exploiting Chinese slave labor.

It is all well documented should you be inclined to bother yourself with a Google search. Better yet, check the corporate info from the Wal-Mart site and read between the lines.

I am certainly no "union mouthpiece", and far from "mindless". I wonder who you actually are, hiding behind the words you really don't believe. You make a nice presentation. Too nice, actually. You really need to un-polish it.

I have never been to the local theater, so that bit of fluff was a wasted effort. Have a good evening.
demsdestroycalif ornia

United States

#29 Feb 12, 2009
batman wrote:
<quoted text>Yeah I see where youre going. Why cant we just get a Target Supercenter instead. Walmart is pretty much the reason why other companies stay away from Oroville, so I pretty much like to see Walmart go
Target is owned by a French company. At least people have work and it remains in the United States. No one tells you to buy inported crap. The same stuff is sold at Target and Kmart. I think anyone can read and choose a product made in USA. I have found lots of it at WalMart and even Big Lots. Where do you think the Dollar Store gets stuff.
I am tired of people saying not in my neighborhood. Chico refuses to allow any growth at the north end of town and that means increase traffic at one end of town. When Super Walmart goes to Paradise I will go there instead. They can have my tax dollars.
demsdestroycalif ornia

United States

#30 Feb 12, 2009
South County wrote:
<quoted text>
Sam Walton was a wise businessman and would never have shot himself in the foot as the current company leadership has done. Sam is surely rolling in his grave these days. The company he started is now preying upon the American working class by exploiting Chinese slave labor.
It is all well documented should you be inclined to bother yourself with a Google search. Better yet, check the corporate info from the Wal-Mart site and read between the lines.
I am certainly no "union mouthpiece", and far from "mindless". I wonder who you actually are, hiding behind the words you really don't believe. You make a nice presentation. Too nice, actually. You really need to un-polish it.
I have never been to the local theater, so that bit of fluff was a wasted effort. Have a good evening.
Maybe you should have just told her to google Micheal Moore or Hate Corporations.com look who is snarky now
welcome Super WalMart

Rancho Cordova, CA

#31 Feb 13, 2009
Just don't worry who I am. That has nothing to do with anything. I am just sick of you people saying the same old crap on every subject. Yes, the unions play a big part in having mouth-pieces like you rambling on and on about WalMart. If you don't Like the store ....keep the h...out of it. NO ONE WILL MISS YOU. YOU HAVE A NICE DAY. I'm going to turn on Fox news and listen to Rush at the same time. I do have a brain and will put you on the back burner, to simmer.
gary

Redwood Valley, CA

#32 Feb 13, 2009
welcome Super WalMart wrote:
Just don't worry who I am. That has nothing to do with anything. I am just sick of you people saying the same old crap on every subject. Yes, the unions play a big part in having mouth-pieces like you rambling on and on about WalMart. If you don't Like the store ....keep the h...out of it. NO ONE WILL MISS YOU. YOU HAVE A NICE DAY. I'm going to turn on Fox news and listen to Rush at the same time. I do have a brain and will put you on the back burner, to simmer.
Well put, and right on target!
Workingman

United States

#33 Feb 13, 2009
South County wrote:
<quoted text>
Then surely you remember K-mart and Woolworth's, both of which went out of business almost immediately after Wal-Mart opened. Wal-Mart had shoppers in those stores recording prices and then deliberately undercut them - even at a loss - to force them out.
The same thing happened to smaller businesses all over town. This was when Wal-Mart was running their "Made in America" campaign, with little flags in all of the aisles highlighting the "Made in USA" items. What a joke that is now.
Wal-Mart has contributed to the current state of the economy by forcing manufacturers to move their operations offshore to meet Wally's aggressive purchasing policies. US factories close, jobs are lost and the cycle continues.
Wal-Mart is bad for Oroville, and Wal-Mart is bad for the country. They have almost reached the point where nobody can afford to buy even the cheap crap they sell. They are now expanding into China so they can exploit the new working class there.
At some point, they will go down, and they will go down hard and fast. When that day comes, I'm going to throw a party. ;)
Very well written! Thank you! You 're correct! In addition, they do NOT care about their employees. There is a great documentary out about how Walmart is hurting our economy and their employees are still eligible for stamps and medical. We, who continue to shop at Walmart, are included as part of the problem.
I would love for Oroville to build a Super Target and Best Buy and Home Goods for starters! Target may cost a little more, but, they pay their employees better, their product is better quality and most stores are clean!
welcome Super WalMart

Rancho Cordova, CA

#34 Feb 13, 2009
Listen all you Micheal Moore super nuts GET a LIFE. WELCOME WAL MART. I personally know some of the Oroville employees and you aren't hearing them gripe. Look a job is a job and you are dead wrong so stop with the UNION boo hoo hooing.

“I'm Not Grumpy, I'm in Pain.”

Since: Feb 09

Butte County

#35 Feb 13, 2009
welcome Super WalMart wrote:
Listen all you Micheal Moore super nuts GET a LIFE. WELCOME WAL MART. I personally know some of the Oroville employees and you aren't hearing them gripe. Look a job is a job and you are dead wrong so stop with the UNION boo hoo hooing.
Just for the record, my opinion of Wal-mart has nothing to do with employee policies or union issues.

It's all about American dollars and jobs moving elsewhere. And they are proud of it. Disgusting.
Welcome Wally

United States

#36 Feb 13, 2009
South County wrote:
<quoted text>
Just for the record, my opinion of Wal-mart has nothing to do with employee policies or union issues.
It's all about American dollars and jobs moving elsewhere. And they are proud of it. Disgusting.
I don't know what stores you shop at, but next time you go into a store, better check and see where stuff is coming from. I was in HD today and they have plywood, tools, lights,etc from China. Go to Sams Club or Costco, same thing. Go look at the tags on clothes you buy. Where is most of our cars made?

“I'm Not Grumpy, I'm in Pain.”

Since: Feb 09

Butte County

#37 Feb 14, 2009
Welcome Wally wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't know what stores you shop at, but next time you go into a store, better check and see where stuff is coming from. I was in HD today and they have plywood, tools, lights,etc from China. Go to Sams Club or Costco, same thing. Go look at the tags on clothes you buy. Where is most of our cars made?
I do shop at HD, and always check the origin of anything I buy, although it is sometimes difficult to find the tiny "Made in China" designation that is hidden somewhere on the packaging. Blatant violation of origin labeling requirements is one of my peeves, but that is a discussion for another time.

At least at HD, Sears and some others, it is still possible to find domestic products. Many items at HD are US-made, and some Sears Craftsman tools are still made here, although their number is dwindling fast. Other than motor oil, paper products and household chemicals, you'll be out of luck at Wal-mart.

The difference between Wally and the others is that Wal-Mart was the pioneer in aggressive vendor pricing tactics, and continues to push the limit, resulting in the closure of more US factories and loss of jobs. The other companies are following suit to a lesser extent in an effort to keep their prices somewhat competitive.

The other retailers are also able to co-exist with each other in a competitive market, but Wal-Mart wants it ALL, and they will settle for nothing less than being the only game in town. They don't want any competition, they want to suck every last penny from our pockets and spend it on overseas development.

It is obvious that the vast majority of consumers couldn't care less, as evidenced by the Wal-Mart fan club vocalizing here.
Gigi

Chico, CA

#38 Feb 14, 2009
Wal Fart wrote:
What a bunch of freaking grumpy, whining jerks. You don't like Wal-Mart? Then don't shop there, pinheads.
If only you would open your eyes and mind and see it isn't quite that simple...if only it were. The name calling isn't very effective either, friend...
Gigi

Chico, CA

#39 Feb 14, 2009
history nut wrote:
You people think Oroville started failing because of WalMart are dead wrong. I've lived in this town for 65 years and Wal Mart had nothing to do with anything. You can call them what ever you want but blaming them for downtown is not the truth. I went to a store downtown just looking around and could not believe the prices !! and the quality wasn't that great. This town can never get back what it had but Wal Mart had nothing to do with it. I can hardly wait for the super store and guess what ...they will employ more people. Great Job Wal Mart
And guess what else... none of those employess at Wal-Mart will make a decent wage or have decent benefits... now isn't that nice :)
Gigi

Chico, CA

#40 Feb 14, 2009
Gigi wrote:
<quoted text>
If only you would open your eyes and mind and see it isn't quite that simple...if only it were. The name calling isn't very effective either, friend...
Well, you know the old saying "ignorance is bliss"... It may be blissful but it sure is pathetic to behold, isn't it.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Oroville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Alleged Oroville intruder critical after being ... Fri JanW 1
News Arrest made in Chico homicide (Jan '10) Jan 18 jyhungin 38
News A a safea space to shoot up: Worth a try in Cal... (Jun '17) Jan 12 concerned 2
News Six teens arrested for homicide, robbery in hom... (Feb '10) Jan 9 jason 79
News San Jose mother's rage focused on PG&E (Jun '10) Jan 6 lisa b 4
News Suspect arraigned in slaying of former Berry Cr... (May '10) Jan 5 Cordell of course 30
News Berry Creek shooting suspect turns himself in (Oct '10) Nov '17 MLBFANATIC 16

Oroville Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Oroville Mortgages