Property owner says city violated his civil rights

Full story: Oroville Mercury-Register

The Oroville Inn owner said recent city inspections of the hotel are retaliation for a $5 million civil rights lawsuit he filed against the city of Oroville and four staff members in May 2008.

Comments

Showing posts 1 - 20 of38
< prev page
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
sherrie

Santa Barbara, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 17, 2009

Judged:

it's about time somethings being done to protect people rights. This is the usa and when has it been o.k to invade someone elses home.no matter we'er they might live and what kind of disabilty they might have. We should be there not to scear them but to protect them and have a sistem in play to just do that. Their are people in are community that are disabaled and need someone to speek for them. But how are we going to put that in place and let them keep there self-worth?
Eric Tenneson

Chico, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 17, 2009

I feel for the tenants and staff of Oroville Inn. I hope that through calm action, the current situation resolves itself through everyone's satisfaction. I personally wish to commend Kellie with her professionalism and diligence during this ordeal.
Carie

Rancho Cordova, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 19, 2009

While I do agree that people should have a place to live, I think the Oroville Inn should be shut down.
I think This Jonothan & Julie Benefield are nothing but slum lords.
If they can't afford to bring the building up to par than they should sell it. Our historical downtown area is a disgrace. As far as remodeling the stores in front of the inn are concerned; I wouldn't rent a space from them. They are dumps as well.
I feel that this lawsuit is unjust. If people want to have rental property then they should have to live in the same town with it.. or better yet next door to it.... or maybe in this instance live in their Inn with their renters.
Vern

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 19, 2009

Carie wrote:
While I do agree that people should have a place to live, I think the Oroville Inn should be shut down.
I think This Jonothan & Julie Benefield are nothing but slum lords.
If they can't afford to bring the building up to par than they should sell it. Our historical downtown area is a disgrace. As far as remodeling the stores in front of the inn are concerned; I wouldn't rent a space from them. They are dumps as well.
I feel that this lawsuit is unjust. If people want to have rental property then they should have to live in the same town with it.. or better yet next door to it.... or maybe in this instance live in their Inn with their renters.
I agree with Carie ... If the current owners cannot afford to bring the building up to code then they should sell it to someone who can. As long as its to someone who wont get greedy, jack up the rents and force people out. People need a decent place to call home ... this is America
not a third world toilet.
Smelling the Roses

Chico, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 19, 2009

How hysterical that this dude "Benefield" claims to have done improvements to the storefront buildings, let alone the apartments within the building! Listen, Mr. Benefield, some of us were born at night, but not LASt night! The fact that you even have people living in the squalled conditions now, should have some sort of legal ramifications. I believe that you may have ha d a dram of what this building could become at one point, but I think we'd all agree, you don't have the financial backing to make that dream come true. Stop sniffling over public agencies doing their jobs, and do what's right. If you have the money to fight a legal battle, than you should have the money to provide a decent, clean, and safe environment for the tenants that line your pockets every month. Suck it up and get to work!
pgibson

Paradise, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 19, 2009

For all of you who are "bagging" on Mr. Benefield, what have YOU done to help? Probably Nothing! Have you ever been in the hotel, ever talked to him, ever offer your money or time to volunteer to help with improvements? I didn't think so. The problem with the city is the miss use of their power, as most people in government do. The city wants the property for themselves at a lower than market price and they're using any power (warranted or not) to achieve their goal. Ask yourself, Does the city have a problem with the building or the people living there? What has the city done to help those people, besides kick them out? This is a simple Bully (the City) against a private individual who is trying to do some good. Maybe he isn't as successful as YOU think he should be or you don't like the looks of the hotel. I suggest you either help with Mr. Benefield with fixing it up, or shut up!
TLily

Rancho Cordova, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 22, 2009

What?? pgibson thinks that if you have a different opinion you should help or shut up? This is crazy. I don't see any volunteers breaking down my doors when my business needs repairs. What is this world comming to.
Tough Love

Oroville, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 22, 2009

pgibson wrote:
For all of you who are "bagging" on Mr. Benefield, what have YOU done to help? Probably Nothing! Have you ever been in the hotel, ever talked to him, ever offer your money or time to volunteer to help with improvements? I didn't think so. The problem with the city is the miss use of their power, as most people in government do. The city wants the property for themselves at a lower than market price and they're using any power (warranted or not) to achieve their goal. Ask yourself, Does the city have a problem with the building or the people living there? What has the city done to help those people, besides kick them out? This is a simple Bully (the City) against a private individual who is trying to do some good. Maybe he isn't as successful as YOU think he should be or you don't like the looks of the hotel. I suggest you either help with Mr. Benefield with fixing it up, or shut up!
pgibson, you are about as asnine as they come. When is the last time you helped someone that was in need of assistance without a request? It's apparent that you are either one of the vagabonds that has moved into his building or you are someone that benefits financially from him owning the building. Your transparency stinks!
pgibson

Paradise, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 24, 2009

Tough Love wrote "When is the last time you helped someone that was in need of assistance without a request? Yesterday I do it all the time. I volunteer in several area. I've been called a lot of things and probably some of them are true, but I don't care what you think. I don't answer to you, only God. You do nothing for me "tough love" Ever heard of service to other before self? TLily wrote" I don't see any volunteers breaking down my doors when my business needs repairs." Have you ever asked? I guess not, sounds like you may be caught up in "It's all about me" secular world view. I'll pray for you.
look for your self

Campbell, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 26, 2009

I looked at the Butte County Superior Court web page and did search and display court cases. Sharon's name brought up a 1990 case accusing her of 3 felonies and several other misdemeanors. What type of City would ever be allowed to run a city with a back ground like that? I would highly encourage all Oroville residents such as myself, who care about their community to closely look at the lies and the people they are coming from before coming to any conclusions about the Oroville In Case.
Atteberry, Sharron is what needs to be entered into the Butte County Superior Court Webpage case information search area if you want to see a glimpse of what these THUGS real life activities consist of…..Stand up for our community everyone
Or simply go to this link..
http://www.buttecourt.ca.gov/online_index/CMS...
Charles Wilson

Chico, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 26, 2009

"an obsolete pubescent mindset that, as a result, has created the perpetual and systemic problems in Oroville for the last fifty years."

Your statements are ironic, since it is exactly this mindset that has plagued city council and employees (see City Administrator), not the citizens. Nice try to blame it on other people though.

Secondly, aren't these forums exactly for people to rant? I'm not qualified to voice my own opinion? Is this communist China, not Oroville?

Can you please give me the source of your 99.9% of Oroville statistic? And I'm the one subjectively ranting?

Fianlly, I didn't start the issue regarding the convict Atteberry, so obviously someone ELSE has that opinion too. Please refer to past Butte County Grand Jury opinions of Atteberry and the cities hiring practices if you need more proof. Nothing has changed. Atteberry is still running the city backwards, there's a Fire Chief even LESS qualified than the previous one, and the Cops got lucky with their new Chief after the last one was forced out.

Don't believe my subjective rant? Do some research. Or are you a mushroom too?
get real

Paradise, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 26, 2009

(pgibson)
apparently youve never heard of eminent domain??
If the city really wanted that dump they could have it, with or without the owners permission.
doesnt anyone remember a few years ago when the city tried to force out the business owner across from Cornucopia by eminent domain? If you dont know what it is..then look it up.
And by my beliefs..maybe they should take it..its been a dump for the last 35 years that i can remember. What good is it for you to complain when everything that is wrong with that building is most obviously a danger to its residents. If the owner cant afford to fix it then someone else should own it.
Caught in the Rain

Oroville, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 26, 2009

Wow, so much hate coming from some of you. I think we are all entitled to our own opinion, but to personally attack an individual is quite cowardous to do so under the guise of a psudo name on the internet. Let's get back to the topic of discussion, not wallow in the he-said, she-said tattles of the school yard. It does not appear that anyone was convicted, only accused. Stop being so nasty to each other and bring this all up a notch.
Don Elson

Campbell, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 26, 2009

I think what is being said is look at the city members who are leading the city and critique them before believing everything they say and do. I feel that some of them, Sharon included, have very questionable pasts. I think we need to look at the big picture here and we will see the real truth. Don Elson -Oroville
Caught in the Rain

Oroville, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 27, 2009

I personally think that the City has moved in the right direction in the past few years under Ms. Atteberry's direction. Instead of stale mating and having feet drag, we, as citizens of this beautiful community have acquired beautiful new parks, welcomed new solid developers and stayed the course financially in a down economy. If we were to dig up the past on every single one of us, I think we'd all have egg on our faces....that's for God to sort out people! As far as education, on-hands experience and knowledge by far surpasses a green education. We have Chico to see how far education has gotten them.
WHE Enterprises LLC

San Francisco, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 9, 2009

Just so you know the real story We purchased the Oroville inn back in 1999 we saved the building from being demolished We have spent hundreds of thousands of Dollers on the biulding in this time The City of Oroville wants this property for there redevelopment plan but do not want to pay fair market value So they have done everything they can to devalue the property This is why we have filed a $5milion doller law suit against the city and Sharon Atteberry city administrater
Better than you

Oroville, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 10, 2009

WHE Enterprises LLC wrote:
Just so you know the real story We purchased the Oroville inn back in 1999 we saved the building from being demolished We have spent hundreds of thousands of Dollers on the biulding in this time The City of Oroville wants this property for there redevelopment plan but do not want to pay fair market value So they have done everything they can to devalue the property This is why we have filed a $5milion doller law suit against the city and Sharon Atteberry city administrater
Thats funny, the City devaluated the property, sure, whatever you say. Dude, get real, the owner is a trashbag and has preyed on Oroville since 1999 when he bought it. Sell it and get F out of Oroville, slumlord!!!!
frank

Chico, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 10, 2009

look for your self wrote:
I looked at the Butte County Superior Court web page and did search and display court cases. Sharon's name brought up a 1990 case accusing her of 3 felonies and several other misdemeanors. What type of City would ever be allowed to run a city with a back ground like that? I would highly encourage all Oroville residents such as myself, who care about their community to closely look at the lies and the people they are coming from before coming to any conclusions about the Oroville In Case.
Atteberry, Sharron is what needs to be entered into the Butte County Superior Court Web Page case information search area if you want to see a .glimpse of what these THUGS real life activities consist of…..Stand up for our community everyone
Or simply go to this link..
http://www.buttecourt.ca.gov/online_index/CMS...
you forgot to say it was also DISSMISSED.
WHE ENT LLC

San Francisco, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 16, 2009

The claim against the city is in Federal court not superior court so get your facts straight It is people like you that do not know what they are talking about and have a chip on there shoulder that make statments such as yours. Perhaps you are a tennant I evicted because you could not pay your rent ????????
get off it people

El Macero, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 17, 2009

The cases against mrs. atteberry were dismissed , as were all charges. Im not a lawyer but thats not a conviction. "Look for yourself" talks right out of his (her ) rectum.
For you people ranting on about "the city" oppressing its citizens... your drinking your own bathwater. How many of you mental midgets that are criticising have actually been in the Oroville Inn? Im in there more than I want to be. You can walk the halls and see cockroachs crawling on the doors. Everyone has rat traps right in the center of their living rooms. There are babies in there, and their moms wont set them on the floor because of the rats and vermin.There are pidgeons nesting in rooms on every floor. If your mom, son or daughter lived in there you'd be calling the health dept every hour. Dont criticise till you have had all your senses assaulted by the Oroville inn. It smells like death warmed over, and you think the owner cares!!! The city of Oroville forgave a 1.8 million dollar loan that was given to the previous tenant to rehab it, and he walked away. This owner said he would fix it up and he hasnt. He should be made to repay it. What could oroville use that money for now??? The building was once grand and stately, now its as foul as the lawyer that represents it. Goyer should be given a medal for all the crap he has to take. If he didnt do his job you'd see it in a hurry. There would be crap strewn from curb to curb like there used to be before he got here. The people that dont like him are the ones that he has to stay on top of to keep our community a nice place to live.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 1 - 20 of38
< prev page
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Oroville Discussions

Search the Oroville Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
CA Judge overturns California's ban on same-sex ma... (Aug '10) 2 hr danny 200,197
CA California seeks to ban free, single-use carryo... (Jun '10) 6 hr Decide what 4,837
CA California Proposition 19: the Marijuana Legali... (Oct '10) 10 hr 21 and over 15,909
6,300 sign petition of support for Mendocino Co... Jul 5 Here Is One 1
CA CA Proposition 23 - Global Warming (Oct '10) Jul 2 skeets give more 7,806
City appoints new fire chief (Aug '09) Jun 24 Larry Lawrence 32
Marysville Mobile Home Parks Worried About Pote... Jun 18 Ernestina Gama spc 28 1
•••

Fire Warning for Butte County was issued at July 10 at 12:42PM PDT

•••
•••
•••
•••

Oroville Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Oroville People Search