Bidwell Marina buoy contract language bugs houseboaters

Full story: Chico Enterprise-Record

This July 1 file photo shows house boats docked at the Bidwell Marina. A contract proposal for a new concessionaire at the marina includes a clause that would disassociate moorings from boats, which has some concerned about the possible negative economic impact on their maritime investments.

Comments

Showing posts 1 - 19 of19
Ken

Quincy, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 10, 2009

If your rich enough to buy a houseboat you should have the money for a real good attorney.Good Luck.I will waive to you and your houseboat while I cruise by in my bass boat.P.S. Hey you all should start your own houseboat trailer park in Oroville.
dig it

Chico, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 10, 2009

There is actually a State "Chief of Concessions?" No wonder the State is bankrupt.. I wonder how many other job titles like this there are at the State level? Wonder who this Chief is related to???
love doctor

Citrus Heights, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 10, 2009

The rich and there problems... Who realy cares? It's so funy how people with money to waste can come up more ways to give it away. And to louse it... Funny!
erroronpage

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 10, 2009

stop renting houseboats to non-owners..people living on the boats 24/7..its a public lake, not a trailer park
Former Lake Renter

Hot Springs, SD

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 10, 2009

The non transferability of slip and bouys clause will render Lake Oroville useless as a houseboating lake. Mismanagement and neglect by Fun Time Full Time has all but destroyed the lakes houseboating use. Since the state treats the lake as drinking water for L.A., consider their motive for limiting houseboating. Less people to complain about the water levels. The state is a very interested party in this problem and because of their conflict of interest, cannot provide a solution that treats houseboaters fairly.
concerned houseboat owner

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 10, 2009

Judged:

I am not rich because I have a nice houseboat. I may be prioritizing how I spend different than you. I do not own an expensive Bass boat or season tickets to the Kings, I don't spend all my time traveling in an RV or sipping tropical drinks in a Carribean resort, I do not have Spa Days or go to the movies, I don't get my nails done, I don't own expensive Golf clubs, I don't travel first class and I don't judge people on what they save up their money for so as long as i am spending my $ on boating and not Drugs Get out of my business. Also I would like to say that my recreation helps this economy and since I live in Oroville I am supporting my neighbors with my boat taxes and my State with Park Fees and Mooring. I don't think the way to make the Lake more acess friendly is to make the slips and buoys non transferable. I do think these things can and will be figured out. Unfortunately for too long FTFT has had little oversight in operations of the marina which leaves us trying to play catch up.
concerned houseboat owner

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 10, 2009

I forgot to mention my houseboat was built in Chico Ca @ Patio Cruisers.
simple

Chico, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 10, 2009

Judged:

I have a boat on the lake and im reading all these posts, heres what i have to say, i work 70 hrs a week, i break bones,get stitched up, loose fingernails, etc. all because i work!! i pay my wage taxes, boat taxes, mouring fees, luxury tax, gas tax, and tax for anything i buy in the marina. When i have time for me and my family i relax for only about 8-10 hrs. on the lake, in other words i heal. Then back at it again. Sounds like alot to go thru for 8-10 hrs of relax, and recoup, but well worth it! i look at it this way, ill pull my boat(dont want to but will) petition the county not to pay the luxury tax, because i cannot use it, non op the boat with the state, not have to work as much due to not having the expense, its a ladder effect! now go ahead and make your houseboat trash , etc. comments because i know who i am, and no matter who you are i am still the working man that pays his dues
Lake Lover

Chico, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 10, 2009

I agree with Concerned Houseboat Owner. Please don't say such ignorant things about something you obviously know nothing about.
Enough

Madison Heights, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 13, 2009

I agree with Concerned Houseboat Owner too as well as simple. I don't own a houseboat but I thank you for all the extra taxes you pay for purchasing and owning yours. Please note, anyone purchasing a houseboat has to pay a huge amount of sales tax too.
rwcmom

La Jolla, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 14, 2009

I too agree with "concerend houseboat owner" and "simple". We have lived beneath our means for years to save enough for a small boat and slip that allows us to periodically retreat to the lake with our family. We work very hard in the Bay Area and how I choose to spend my hard earned (I work 4 jobs) money is my choice. Most of the negative comments posted here only highlight the unfortunate ignorance of a few unhappy, sad people
hoseboat owner

Sacramento, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 28, 2009

i work 50- 70 hrs a week i have a houseboat nice house quads rental house blown street rod 401k great wife and son's money in the bank! i worked my behind off fo over 25 years now,and paid alot of tax fee's ect so you that don't have try working a little harder!
Concerned Houseboat Owner

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 2, 2009

I agree with the other houseboat owners. We too have worked hard and save our money to afford a houseboat payment! The State and FTFT need to get their greedy heads on straight. The owners should not be evicted because of their stupidity. The bouy should stay with the boat if the owner decideds to sell it that way. Selling a houseboat with no place to keep it is impossible.
Broke Not Broken

Oroville, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 15, 2011

I want a houseboat :) Understand the maintenance issues, fees, taxes, registrations, drama, etc. Last I checked... where ever I go, there I am... with a pile of fees, taxes, maintenance, drama, etc there to greet. The day is what we choose to make of it, even if we don't like the results of those choices.

Happy house boating, hassling, hem-hawin', or whatever it is that you choose to do.
Rick

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 19, 2011

These floating homes are luxury items that should be taxed more than items of necessity.
Progun

Katy, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 20, 2011

simple wrote:
I have a boat on the lake and im reading all these posts, heres what i have to say, i work 70 hrs a week, i break bones,get stitched up, loose fingernails, etc. all because i work!! i pay my wage taxes, boat taxes, mouring fees, luxury tax, gas tax, and tax for anything i buy in the marina. When i have time for me and my family i relax for only about 8-10 hrs. on the lake, in other words i heal. Then back at it again. Sounds like alot to go thru for 8-10 hrs of relax, and recoup, but well worth it! i look at it this way, ill pull my boat(dont want to but will) petition the county not to pay the luxury tax, because i cannot use it, non op the boat with the state, not have to work as much due to not having the expense, its a ladder effect! now go ahead and make your houseboat trash , etc. comments because i know who i am, and no matter who you are i am still the working man that pays his dues
Good for you, my friend! I do the same, I have to! Hell, who else is gonna pay for Obama and his love of illegal immigration?

Since: Oct 10

Chico

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 20, 2011

hoseboat owner wrote:
i work 50- 70 hrs a week i have a houseboat nice house quads rental house blown street rod 401k great wife and son's money in the bank! i worked my behind off fo over 25 years now,and paid alot of tax fee's ect so you that don't have try working a little harder!
you all are missing the point. Those people were not saying you did not deserve your own money or that you shouldn't spend your money on whatever you want.

It is just a normal response when people who seemingly "have it all" (and to many if you can afford a houseboat you "have it all")whine and complain.

It is like the guy with the 40,000 dollar SUV that gets 8 miles to the gallon complaining about the price of gas.....stop complaining and buy a fricken toyota or something if you don't like it.

Or the teacher who complains about how hard they work (They do work hard, but they get two months off every summer, most other people work hard too, and they do not get that kind of vacation time, so they say "boo hoo you spoiled brats, I wish I had two months off a year")It is not that people are saying they don't deserve their pay necessarily or that school should be year round, but stop complaining!

Etc.

Deal with it, it is part of the boat ownership you got yourself into, but don't complain because the vast majority of people out here who can't afford a houseboat will say "boo hoo, you poor babies that must suck to have a houseboat and have to deal with this stuff....you wanna trade places?"
Godfrey

Paradise, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 3, 2011

Curtain Rod wrote:
<quoted text>
you all are missing the point. Those people were not saying you did not deserve your own money or that you shouldn't spend your money on whatever you want.
It is just a normal response when people who seemingly "have it all" (and to many if you can afford a houseboat you "have it all")whine and complain.
It is like the guy with the 40,000 dollar SUV that gets 8 miles to the gallon complaining about the price of gas.....stop complaining and buy a fricken toyota or something if you don't like it.
Or the teacher who complains about how hard they work (They do work hard, but they get two months off every summer, most other people work hard too, and they do not get that kind of vacation time, so they say "boo hoo you spoiled brats, I wish I had two months off a year")It is not that people are saying they don't deserve their pay necessarily or that school should be year round, but stop complaining!
Etc.
Deal with it, it is part of the boat ownership you got yourself into, but don't complain because the vast majority of people out here who can't afford a houseboat will say "boo hoo, you poor babies that must suck to have a houseboat and have to deal with this stuff....you wanna trade places?"
You forgot to call the poster a racist bigot and tell him/her to tax the rich.

You know how the politcians talk about middle ground. Well there is a middle ground. You and grandpa need to figure out where it is or this is your new life out here.
Godfreys Gnat

Campbell, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 3, 2011

Godfrey wrote:
<quoted text>You forgot to call the poster a racist bigot and tell him/her to tax the rich.
You know how the politcians talk about middle ground. Well there is a middle ground. You and grandpa need to figure out where it is or this is your new life out here.
mummy whats the difference between a bucket and a gnat?

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 1 - 19 of19
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Oroville Discussions

Search the Oroville Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
CA CA Proposition 23 - Global Warming (Oct '10) 1 hr Brian_G 7,303
CA California Proposition 19: the Marijuana Legali... (Oct '10) 2 hr Foes 15,669
Abuse of authority (Mar '07) 17 hr MaltaMon 15
CA California seeks to ban free, single-use carryo... (Jun '10) Sat Drafty 4,559
CA Judge overturns California's ban on same-sex ma... (Aug '10) Fri Gomers 199,087
Review: Sierra Valley Furniture Apr 16 Exactly What I Wanted 1
CA Who do you support for Governor in California i... (Oct '10) Apr 13 Just fine 3,746
•••
•••
•••
•••

Oroville Jobs

•••
•••
•••

Oroville People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••

Personal Finance