Sam Escobar needs to resign

Posted in the Orosi Forum

First Prev
of 5
Next Last

Since: Oct 08

Dinuba, CA

#1 Mar 14, 2013
In October, 2012, Cove Printing was running the City's Utility Bills. In the process of handling the bills to fold and stuff into envelopes, I noticed something that could have been evidence of a crime.

Given the past history of Victor Lopez and his cronies - who for decades exempted family members, council members and friends from paying City utility bills, which amounted to several thousand dollars per person, what I noticed - and who's bill it was - raised immediate red flags.

In confidence, I notified Chief Steenport (law enforcement) and City Manager Sam Escobar. One of my concerns in this matter was the family relationship Escobar had with the person who's Utility Bill I had concerns over. There needed to be some accountability from Escobar.

It took several weeks before Escobar got back to me on this, and in so doing, he lectured me about breaking confidentiality - because I shared my concerns with the Police Chief. Sam said how damaging this could be to the City if it were ever to get back to the person who's Utility Bill I had called into question. He said Cove Printing would no longer run the City utility bills because I had informed Chief Steenport about this, which in his eyes was a breach of confidentiality.(I told him if Lopez stole the election thru vote fraud we wouldn't be doing any work for the City anyhow.)

Informing Sam about the history of corruption at City Hall, especially in the area of Utility Bill payments not being required of "certain" people, I told him that this may very well be a law enforcement issue and it was the right and responsible thing to contact Chief Steenport. Any report to the Police Chief is held in the highest confidence.

Sam disagreed, and he fired Cove Printing over his perceived "lack of confidentiality".

So last night, at the council meeting, I discover that Sam Escobar himself told the person in question, who sits on the council, the very thing he claimed he was trying to protect the City from - that person finding out a concern had been raised about her Utility Bill.

Sam "fired" Cove Printing for what he called a breach of confidentiality. I told 2 people, in the highest confidence, about what looked to be improper and a possible crime - Chief Steenport and Sam Escobar. It is a safe bet that Chief Steenport did not tell the person on the city council about the concern I had raised over her Utility Bill, so that leaves only 1 other person. Sam Escobar.

It is still a question in my mind as to whether there are improprieties taking place with the Utility Billing in Orange Cove. There is no oversight outside of Escobar - no checks and balances, so if he operates under Victor Lopez' orders, there may be quite a few people who are not paying their Utility Bills at this moment. But how would we know?

By the same measure that I was "fired" by the City,(breaking confidentiality) Escobar should be man enough to apply the same standard to himself. Sam told the very individual that he lectured me about how harmful it would be if she were to find out such a concern was raised. She let the cat out of the bag last night.

Resign, Sam, you are a disgrace.

This same person sat on a previous City Council under Lopez where many people were allowed to skip out on paying their Utility Bills. Obviously, this council woman cannot be trusted, nor Lopez, nor Del Bosque, as they permitted people to not pay their Utility Bills while the rest of us had to pay.

So let the people decide. Did I do the right thing to notify the PD of a possible white collar crime, or should I have been "fired" for a breach of confidentiality.

If I should have been "fired" for being a whistleblower (Sam, I could sue the City over this - whistle blower laws protect such actions) then Escobar should be fired for breaking confidentiality and telling the individual in question about my having raised these concerns.

Resign, Sam Escobar, you are dishonest, dishonorable and a disgrace.

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!

Dinuba, CA

#2 Mar 14, 2013
It also makes one wonder if in fact Sam's zeal to get Chief Steenport out of the way had anything to do with my raising this concern with him?

Resign, Escobar, you're a disgrace.
whistleblower

United States

#3 Mar 14, 2013
It all makes sense now. That would explain why Sam Escobar got rid of the Chief. Sam did not want him around while he's getting rid of evidence and covering up the rest. City hall has so many secrets how can anybody work there and be a part of all of that is hard to understand.

Whistleblowers are protected and if I were you I would sue Sam Escobar and the city. You reported a crime and Escobar was not concerned or even interested into looking into the matter.

Dinuba, CA

#4 Mar 14, 2013
I do not know if there was a crime committed - all I saw was something that was suspicious, and I brought it to Sam's & the Chief's attention. Sam said there was nothing to it. I have no way of verifying if Sam is telling the truth in this matter.

I do know Sam is a liar, having lied about Chief Steenport's status - first he's looking for Steenport's replacement, then he's not.

I also know that Sam breached confidentiality BIG TIME on this one. Whereas I reported something that seemed very questionable to the proper authorities, the City Manager and the PD, Sam turned loose of this complaint to the very person he should not have told, the person he said should NEVER know about this, the person in question regarding the Utility Bill.

Diana Guerra Silva let the cat out of the bag last night, couldn't keep her big mouth shut. So if Diana, Sam or Victor would like to have this conversation, let's do so - publicly. I'd like to hear what you people have to say.

My action was confidential - Sam's was obviously politically and/or family driven. He broke protocol and needs to be fired or resign.

Dinuba, CA

#5 Mar 14, 2013
Given Lopez' past, and his bribing techniques for vote fraud, it might be interesting to see if some people, who voted by absentee ballot, have been dropped from the list of people paying the City's Utility Bill...

Could get interesting if the county authorities look into this...
Chirp

Dinuba, CA

#6 Mar 14, 2013
*****crickets*****Franky did you put your foot in your mouth?
Check all bills

Dinuba, CA

#7 Mar 14, 2013
Hmmm since therye are questioning one individual bill, all bills should be looked at! Including the private sector! Go back the last 4 years and lets see where it all falls!
Check all bills

Dinuba, CA

#8 Mar 14, 2013
Sam did the right thing notifying the customer that you irresponsibly launched your own investigation without any authority to do so! Your job was to fold envelopes that mommy Hill gave to you not look and see who was paying their bill! Your search was politically driven and firing your behind was the right thing to do!
my oc

Visalia, CA

#9 Mar 14, 2013
John did this without knowing.
when u work in a business you find hidden stuff
.not fair we pay some don't. Also bye police and hundreds lost on it
Shame
Chirp

Dinuba, CA

#10 Mar 14, 2013
Check all bills wrote:
Sam did the right thing notifying the customer that you irresponsibly launched your own investigation without any authority to do so! Your job was to fold envelopes that mommy Hill gave to you not look and see who was paying their bill! Your search was politically driven and firing your behind was the right thing to do!
Sam had no right to interfere with the Chief. Sam broke the law by contacting the council member and his job is to work for the city not the council.

Sam broke the law by firing the printer. Check all the bills!
Check all bills

Dinuba, CA

#11 Mar 14, 2013
Rankin no right reporting anything but to the manager if he had any questions period!
Sam wannabe Chief

United States

#12 Mar 14, 2013
Check all bills wrote:
Rankin no right reporting anything but to the manager if he had any questions period!
Says who? Diana Guerra-silva?
Mr_Sunshine

United States

#13 Mar 14, 2013
CA law is very clear that ANYONE who is being paid with public funds has whistleblower protection. This job was paid for by public funds. I also explained this to Sam. Everyone working for the public has the responsibility to report anything that may look suspicious or illegal.

While I have no interest in suing anybody over this, and do not know if any laws were broken, fact is, I stumbled upon something that looked suspicious, and having knowledge of these same individuals engaging in this kind of scam in the past, I brought it confidentially to the attention of Sam and Chief Steenport.

That's where this should have ended.

Instead, Sam shot his big mouth off to Diana - and most likely Victor and the rest of his traveling circus. So we have a City Manager who cannot keep confidential matters confidential. Highly unprofessional. At last night's City Council meeting, I succeeded in drawing out Diana, who opened her mouth before engaging her brain, and she let the cat out of the bag.

Are you paying attention to this, Gabe Jimenez? These are the people you wanted back on the council. They played games with Utility Billing fom the 1970's thru 2008. The Fresno County Grand Jury investigated this in 1983, and again with the BMX Park scandal. The court case of Odi Ortiz also revealed people who were friends & family members of Lopez not paying their Utility Bills, courtesy of Victor Lopez.

It just so happened that I saw one Utility Bill that seemed to be very suspicious. I reported it, and no one has heard anymore about it - until last night, when Diana revealed that she knew about it. So, let's have this conversation, Victor, Diana & Sam.
rcalilaw

Roseville, CA

#14 Mar 15, 2013
The info regarding Escobar should be relayed to Barry Bennett (Steenport's Attorney)it could be beneficial to your Chief's case as it would show a pattern of unethical behavior and abuse of power by Escobar. It could also benefit you "Mr. Sunshine" if you at any time decide to pursue a lawsuit of your own for Breach of Confidentiality. "quid pro quo" so to speak :)

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
rcalilaw

Roseville, CA

#15 Mar 15, 2013
Apologies "Mr. Sunshine" I posted before reading that you have no desire to pursue a lawsuit against your city manager. A shame considering he blatantly violated the Whistleblower Protection Act of 1989. You have strong evidence, especially if the person involved let the "cat out of the bag" in a public forum and was recorded doing so. If you file suit against Escobar it becomes a matter of public record and, guilty or not, it will follow him wherever he goes. If we stay silent are we not playing a part in allowing these individuals to continue on with this unethical behavior ;)
just saying

Oakland, CA

#16 Mar 15, 2013
Mister_Sunshine wrote:
I do not know if there was a crime committed - all I saw was something that was suspicious, and I brought it to Sam's & the Chief's attention. Sam said there was nothing to it. I have no way of verifying if Sam is telling the truth in this matter.
I do know Sam is a liar, having lied about Chief Steenport's status - first he's looking for Steenport's replacement, then he's not.
I also know that Sam breached confidentiality BIG TIME on this one. Whereas I reported something that seemed very questionable to the proper authorities, the City Manager and the PD, Sam turned loose of this complaint to the very person he should not have told, the person he said should NEVER know about this, the person in question regarding the Utility Bill.
Diana Guerra Silva let the cat out of the bag last night, couldn't keep her big mouth shut. So if Diana, Sam or Victor would like to have this conversation, let's do so - publicly. I'd like to hear what you people have to say.
My action was confidential - Sam's was obviously politically and/or family driven. He broke protocol and needs to be fired or resign.
The crime committed is you got fired from doing business with the city and you city manager Sam Escobar interfered with a legitimate complaint reported to the police.
Check all bills

Dinuba, CA

#17 Mar 15, 2013
John does not even know if a crime was committed! John and his business are at will and if the council does not like his work it is there choice to source out for better quality and service! This is a prime example why the city should have never dealt with that shop, do your job and don't get involved in local politics! Do you see any other in town getting involed that is running a business? No just you!
OmgOc

United States

#18 Mar 15, 2013
Wow Sam can't believe what u played out to be! For sumone i have known never thought u would capable of those actions, no wonder he never got back to u, ppl always break confedentiality at the clinics,,,they dont go out firing everyone! So stupid,,,
OmgOc

United States

#19 Mar 15, 2013
Just adding to what ive said i don't see how it was breached if it was law inforcement not anyone outside of that

Dinuba, CA

#20 Mar 15, 2013
Check all bills wrote:
John does not even know if a crime was committed! John and his business are at will and if the council does not like his work it is there choice to source out for better quality and service! This is a prime example why the city should have never dealt with that shop, do your job and don't get involved in local politics! Do you see any other in town getting involed that is running a business? No just you!
I know that crimes associated with Utility Billing from Orange Cove's City Hall had occurred from the late 1970's through the year 2007, hence the red flags when something looked very suspicious.

Crime or no crime, Escobar revealing a CONFIDENTIAL report of suspicious activity to the person of interest involved in the report is grounds for immediate termination. This is beyond a lack of ethics, it places the person reporting potentially illegal activity at risk of retaliation - can you say no more City work for John?- or even risk of personal harm from people who may be engaged in corruption.

This certainly appears to shed light on why Sam was so over-reactive when I notified Chief Steenport of what I saw. Sam cannot be trusted with confidential matters, nor does he understand California's whistleblower laws and how they apply, even to at will contractors.

I certainly hope Spineless Sam doesn't go down the road of knocking the quality of work we did for the City, as we provided an excellent product, not only the billing, but a newsletter as well, for essentially the same money the City pays now just for the billing. Then take into consideration how much more time it takes to go to Fresno & to mail out of Fresno. The City is spending a lot more time and money by not staying local with their printing work.

Bear in mind, these people on the council are crying about how much money is being spent, yet, when we did their business cards, we charged under $40. Now they are paying over $100 for their business cards. Does that sound like they are serious about the budget concerns?

Resign, Sam, you are a disgrace.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 5
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Orosi Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Looneyboy gets crap thrown in his fugly face 25 min Bob is back 1
Yeaaaa baby liar looneyboy 27 min Bob is back 1
Childish behavior results in childish responces. 51 min Bob is back 1
Looneyboy likes to have DADDY bone him the fundio. 53 min Bob is back 1
BMX Park / Rankincoward your Bullshiit isn't he... 57 min Bob is back 2
Rankin reveals feeling superior: "surround your... 1 hr Bob is back 2
John Rankin is a Pathetic PATHALOGICAL LIAR 100% 1 hr Bob is back 2
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Orosi Mortgages