Boredom reigns in long line at Alamog...

Boredom reigns in long line at Alamogordo post office

There are 47 comments on the Alamogordo Daily News story from Dec 19, 2009, titled Boredom reigns in long line at Alamogordo post office. In it, Alamogordo Daily News reports that:

With all the hubbub generated locally about the long, time-consuming lines at the Alamogordo post office, I decided to pay it a visit Friday.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Alamogordo Daily News.

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
Tortuga

Alamogordo, NM

#1 Dec 20, 2009
It's been this way for years here, it's nothing new.
Basically every business in town takes their lunch break from noon-1pm. That mean if you need to pay bills, post office, or anything else urgently important, fougettabouttit, the entire town is shorthanded! Same with City Hall, the place is deserted.

Holloman AFB must look like a ghost town at this time, as all of their people pour into town for lunch.
Maybe one of the best things that could happen to Alamogordo, would be putting a crapload of more fast food restaurants out there, as maybe this might slighly lessen the traffic load during lunch time? But I'm sure if you wanna have a Brewski with lunch, eating out at Hollman would not be the safe place for recruits. Maybe that's one small reason they all pour into town for lunch?

And here's another observation about Alamogordo. Eating at any restaurant in town other than that 11am-noon time-frame is generally a huge mistake. All restaurants in the area prepare for this onslaught wave from Holloman, and at any other time, expect horribly prepared dishes, and nasty cold dried out food at all of the town's buffet eateries.

“Our nearest star”

Since: May 09

Alamogordo, NM

#2 Dec 20, 2009
You could have saved yourself some heartache (and time) and mailed your packages at The Shipping Store; fast and friendly service.
Deployed

Tucson, AZ

#3 Dec 20, 2009
I'm deployed in Iraq right now and I would gladly stand in line for an hour to mail out Christmas packages. At least afterwards I can go home and see my family.

“Navy veteran. ”

Since: Oct 09

Location hidden

#4 Dec 20, 2009
I went there on Thursday to send a register letter. I was about the tenth person in line and got out of there is about 10 to 15 minutes. I do not go there often but this was definitely one of the quickest times for me.
observer

Carrizozo, NM

#5 Dec 20, 2009
Against my better judgment I go to the post office to take care of my mailing needs. Every time I notice the same thing, long lines and usually one or two employees at the helm. I have also noticed that opening time changed to a half hour later than before, and even then it isn't an exact science because they hardly open at the time posted on the steel shutter door. Aren't you supposed to get what you pay for? Postal employees get paid quite well nowadays so you would figure that there would be some motivation for efficiency.
Don the Daily Reader

Alamogordo, NM

#6 Dec 20, 2009
If I were a business man with some money to invest I would buy the lot where Otero Federal Credit Union is soon to vacate (next to the post office) and put in a grandiose mail center with SUPERIOR service and a coffee bar. Think of the business that would generate! There you have it. A great idea from me to you as a Christmas Gift.
Den-Mark

Ozark, MO

#7 Dec 20, 2009
And you want the govmint' to run HEALTH CARE??????????
Same ol service

Alamogordo, NM

#8 Dec 20, 2009
Certainly nothing new ..this is why we take all our mailing out of town ... it's worth it for not having to put up with the rudeness and frustration.
chris

Alamogordo, NM

#9 Dec 20, 2009
I took my stuff to La Luz post office after driving past Alamo's and seeing the parking lot . There was 1 person ahead of me.. and they had 2 clerks ... very friendly and fast :)
rizzo

United States

#10 Dec 20, 2009
All, there is one entity called the local Postmaster/mistress? I am not even sure who it is. The only thing for sure, is that the position could be filled by anyone of a bunch of un-under employed Alamogordoites. How do we, as employers of the aforementioned, fix it? HAHA, the jokes on us. You can't do squat. Let em go broke! Use the Shipping store! Great folks!

Since: Dec 07

United States

#11 Dec 20, 2009
If the Post Office is going in the red year after year, stands to reason they would try to figure out why..........guess who pays more for postage than any of their customers?

Me and You, anyone who is NOT a business!

Check the postage on bills you receive......
BIG Discount to Credit Card Banks, etc.

We the People, pay more for postage than the Banks that WE Bailed Out!

Not to mention the reduced postage for all the Junk Mail we get!

Yeah, that's the way to run a business(By Morons!)

Since: Dec 07

United States

#12 Dec 20, 2009
Forgot Something..........
Businesses can Deduct Postage Costs from their taxes!

“Best Quilter in Alamogordo”

Since: Feb 08

Alamogordo

#13 Dec 20, 2009
I mailed my package in 5 minutes at "Direct Mail". I am never going to our post office again.
WHY 4

Albuquerque, NM

#14 Dec 20, 2009
How sad it is to hear the problems we manifest when we want instant gratification. People go to the USPS for just that, service. We receive our mail at home and we expect service. We want this service the same way and the same time of day. We do not care who has to do it or how much it may cost us. We want the people of America to get paid a fair wage for the services they perform, even if it is a higher wage than we earn.

The problem is, we want it all. We want the service providers at our service when we need it and to heck with the next person in line. We all want it now at any cost to the provider. It is only the United States Government; they have a lot of money and they (USPS) needs to provide us with better service.

I was there as well. The line was long and the people had many packages and letters to send away. There are 5 workstation windows and only 3 people at the front assisting us.

Each USPS person was doing a very good job in listening, explaining, assisting, posting and collecting payments. They took an average of 2 minutes per person. These people performed a great job.

If there really is a problem here it is with you and me wanting instant gratification. You know there will be a long line at the lobby, but yet you go. You use your lunch hour and know you have only ten minutes to get back to work, but you forgot to take the packages or envelopes the day, night or week before when YOU had more time.

Listen, more people mean more costs. More employees mean more costs. Why go when you know everyone else goes? Why not look at the process first and figure out we can take packages and envelopes to the USPS almost anytime during the workday? it is not anyone persons fault here.

It is all of our responsibility to understand the process and make it work for us.

The USPS has made the postal service as easy it can. You can buy and print labels from the Internet (USPS website.) You can schedule a pick up from anywhere you live and they will be there.

Your increased costs for service is also a direct effect from these other USPS contracted service, like direct mail and remote USPS contractors.

Don't just blame the Postal Service, take responsibility for your needs and really look at what you need instead of what and how you want it. The USPS is responsible for doing one thing.

Carrying the mail.
ABCDEFG

Placitas, NM

#15 Dec 20, 2009
I always go to DirectMail-- It is super fast & friendly... Great service! The only time I have ever gone to the post office is for my passport, and the only time I will ever go back is to renew it about 8 years from now........
Ex Cop

Ivins, UT

#16 Dec 20, 2009
Deployed wrote:
I'm deployed in Iraq right now and I would gladly stand in line for an hour to mail out Christmas packages. At least afterwards I can go home and see my family.
My family and I would like to thank you for your service to Country, may GOD keep you safe and return to your family soon. Happy Christmas my prayers for you and all military service members who are in harms way.
BLESSED

Tularosa, NM

#18 Dec 20, 2009
Deployed wrote:
MAY GOD BRING YOU HOME SAFELY, MY DAUGHTER JUST LEFT FOR IRAQ TODAY. SO INSTEAD OF EVERYONE COMPLAINING ABOUT STANDING IN LINE, LET US PRAY FOR OUR SOLDIERS SAFE RETURN!
MERRY CHRISTMAS....
Quandry

Alamogordo, NM

#19 Dec 21, 2009
rizzo wrote:
All, there is one entity called the local Postmaster/mistress? I am not even sure who it is. The only thing for sure, is that the position could be filled by anyone of a bunch of un-under employed Alamogordoites. How do we, as employers of the aforementioned, fix it? HAHA, the jokes on us. You can't do squat. Let em go broke! Use the Shipping store! Great folks!
Unless he has changed or been moved..the local postmaster was brought in from Colorado to "fix the issues at the Alamogordo post office." I know because I spoke to him several times about some problems. I even proposed suggested fixes. Little did he know, I know, about the post office. I got nothing less than the typical office drone responses...
Quandry

Alamogordo, NM

#20 Dec 21, 2009
Why 4,

You work for the post office don't you?:)
WHY 4

Albuquerque, NM

#21 Dec 21, 2009
Quandry wrote:
Why 4,
You work for the post office don't you?:)
It should not matter where I work, but NO I do not work for the United States Postal Service. Sorry.

I am a veteran of the United States Armed Forced.

People do not realize the freedoms they have and take them all for granted as if they were owed something.

Freedom is hard!!! All of us must continue to fight for our constitutional rights. One thing is, the USPS is providing the service required by law. Short lines and immediate service is not one of them.

Thank you for the response though.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Orogrande Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
u s code, title 18, section 2071 1 hr Laughing 8
Hey, Donald Trump, We Know Plenty About Hillary... 3 hr Pragmatist 9
Poor Hillary 5 hr Ralph 440
Grandpa says' 5 hr Ralph 281
Joke of the day. 5 hr Ralph 264
Presidential Election 5 hr Ralph 9
New Web Site! 5 hr Ralph 9
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Orogrande Mortgages