Like toddlers - baby boomers confuse `needs' with `wants'

What do an Internet connection, weekend getaways, professional haircuts and hair coloring, and shopping for birthdays and special occasions have in common? They're all considered basic needs rather than luxuries by many baby boomers, in some cases the majority among a group of 1,049 working Americans ages 45 to 65 who participated in a recent ... Full Story
Maggie

Long Beach, CA

#1 Sep 6, 2010
I'm sorry, I disagree with Mr. Cruz. Boomers with $100,00 in investments have shown SOME responsibility-- particularly after the market instability of late. I seriously doubt these folks are impulse buyers-- and, btw--I seriously doubt they make $20 an hour.
Now, as to your belief that getting your hair done professionally is some sort of luxury-- here's a flash: If your appearance is important for your job-- this is most certainly a necessity. I seriously doubt that you cut your own hair.
I also think that funding education, whether for your children or grandchildren, is not just a "nice thing to do"-- Unfortunately, college costs have skyrocketed. If you look at the unemployment figures, you'll see that folks with a college degree have fared wayyyy better than those without it. Sorry, again-- not a luxury.
As to the gentleman in AZ who retired at 54... good for him. I was fortunate that my parents didn't think it was a "luxury" to send me to school. I make a decent living working for myself. I'm 60 and don't plan to retire. I LOVE what I do. And, I agree with my contemporaries. I'm not giving up traveling, going out to dinner once a week, or keeping up with technology (within reason) since I need it for work. All work and no play makes us very dull indeed.
Temark

Chico, CA

#2 Sep 6, 2010
I find it funny that Mr. Cruz completely ignores that "X" generation and their well proven irresponsible spending habits. Most of us "baby boomers", unlike the X generation, don't go around spending $4K on rims and tires for our "rides". Nor do many of us baby boomers have the "need" to purchase a new $300 "eyepod",$200 sneakers, and $100 dollar jeans, etc, every other month while working part-time and/or low wage jobs.

This not to mention the common "X" generation attitude of thinking that they can, and should, have 4 or more kids while earning less than $15K a year (that is, if they even bother to work at all).
Maybe Mr Cruz can calculate how many "hours of net take- home pay" it would take to pay for just one child in this day and age...

BTW Mr. Cruz, are you aware of the fact that the "baby boomers" you insult and ridicule are just about the only people around who still bother to buy your newspaper?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Oro Valley Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Feature Points Referral Code for 100,000 points... 2 hr Larry 5
Post you feature points referral code (Feb '14) 4 hr MCP 3,814
Featurepoints Referral Codes Oct 22 Hackerboy 20
feature point referral points post yours and share Oct 21 Anonymous 8
FeaturePoints Referral Code for 100,000 points=... Oct 21 Matt 1
Post feature points referral code Oct 21 nervrevo 3
Feature Points Referral (72E8BB) Oct 21 HeyThere 8
Oro Valley Dating
Find my Match

Oro Valley Jobs