Power outages reported across Volusia County

Law enforcement officials are reporting wide-spread power outages in Volusia County. Full Story
First Prev
of 6
Next Last
EE says

United States

#107 Feb 26, 2008
Three phase fault at substation results in four way stop at intersections.
Wolffie

Ocala, FL

#108 Feb 26, 2008
From employees at Progress, who were in direct communication with FP&L, this was an equipment failure and the systems in place worked as they were designed to work. However, it got me thinking...if terrorists successfully shut down power to a large metropolitan area, or multiple metro areas in multiple states, or for that matter across the nation...who would I want sitting in the oval office at that time? Who could best direct the responses that would need to be enacted in order to bring stability to our nation in such a time of need? It's something worth thinking about.
Wolffie

Ocala, FL

#109 Feb 26, 2008
Rocket Scientist wrote:
I have no power right now. Can't even use my computer - phone and internet are out too. I'm posting this with only the power of my huge brain.
LOL! Thanks.
Jumping Jack

Winter Springs, FL

#110 Feb 27, 2008
Rest assured, every big wig at Florida Power will be cheerily proclaiming "The trouble is good leaving here!"

Here we are again, Almost March, 2008, and we're caught flat footed with dumb looks on our faces, scratching our butts, trying to explaiin how we overlooked a potential massive, statewide problem for so many years. This reminds me of how unprepared we were for 9/11 when the evidence was right under our noses for years that Al Qaida was preparing a major attack and we even had one of their main guys embeded in the FBI and CIA we thought was our trusted informant who was a trusted pal of Bin Ladin all along. We are so stupid - How have we lasted up to now ? Will anyone learn anything from this Homer Simpson power failure ?

You say "What does the 9/11 attack have to do with this power failure ?" Think a bit - Al Qaida has noted how easy it is to take down huge portions of an entire State and leave them in the dark. Mass chaos, confusion, gridlock on the roads, gridlock on the phones. Add a major terrorist attack in several critical places in at the same time ? Get the picture ? We're dumb, they aren't.
Nope

Ocala, FL

#112 Feb 27, 2008
Wolffie wrote:
From employees at Progress, who were in direct communication with FP&L, this was an equipment failure and the systems in place worked as they were designed to work. However, it got me thinking...if terrorists successfully shut down power to a large metropolitan area, or multiple metro areas in multiple states, or for that matter across the nation...who would I want sitting in the oval office at that time? Who could best direct the responses that would need to be enacted in order to bring stability to our nation in such a time of need? It's something worth thinking about.
A hurricane is far more likely to take power down for days instead of hours and we all know who shouldn't be sitting in the oval office when that happens.
Nope

Windermere, FL

#113 Feb 27, 2008
therealdeal wrote:
<quoted text> i lived in new york for 50 yrs. and the power went out 2x. once in 1064 when a major grid failed and the second in 2001 another national grid failure. here in floriDUH they still dont know what electricity is after 120 yrs of having it.
Last I checked, just about everyone had their power back on by 6PM (other than those who lost it again due to the storm) and very few outside the immediate area of the failure lost it for more than an hour. How long were those blackouts in NY? Looks like it took 4 days to completely restore power in 2003.

Maybe the fact that the systems shutdown before severely damaging themselves, allowing them to be reset in relatively short order, means that it's NY that doesn't know what electricity is?

And, FYI - a quick google search of NY blackout shows three, not 2 - 1965, 1977 and 2003.
Crackscape

Oldsmar, FL

#114 Feb 27, 2008
Now that you got it!
hector cipolla

Fort Lauderdale, FL

#115 Mar 5, 2008
What is the meaning of TURKEY POINT ?
hectorcipolla@hotmail.com
bstout

United States

#116 Jul 22, 2012
Power out 3 hrs now in south deltona... hurricane charley II... WHAT'S UP????

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 6
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Ormond Beach Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Daytona Beach: Florida's Rape Capital (Mar '10) Tue Joe 42
Tis the season to dump cases! Dec 22 Joe 2
Debate: Gay Marriage - Daytona Beach, FL (Aug '10) Dec 19 MEME 62
Rare panther sighting in Central Florida (May '08) Dec 19 Ghost 91
new business just opening Dec 18 ultimate powersports 2
Need some help... Dec 15 True Blue Local 1
Husband of woman charged in South Daytona fatal... Dec 10 See It Get It 4
Ormond Beach Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web