Volusia County rolls out new beach-driving rules

Mar 1, 2012 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: Daytona Beach News-Journal Online

Turn on the headlights, roll down the window and send a quick "BRB" to the friend you've been texting while driving.

Comments
1 - 19 of 19 Comments Last updated Apr 9, 2012
Joe

Lady Lake, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#1
Mar 2, 2012
 

Judged:

1

1

The blame has been placed on tourists & visitors to the beach. NOT the stupid lifeguards that run them over!! Erin Joynt an 18 yr old visiting from Ohio had her head a shoulders crushed -BY A BEACH VEHICLE. Where is the priority? Mentioning other incidents that have occured does not change anything. It's still the cities responcibility-obligation- and Fault" for allowing these things to happen!!

Since: May 09

usa

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#2
Mar 4, 2012
 

Judged:

3

1

Joe wrote:
The blame has been placed on tourists & visitors to the beach. NOT the stupid lifeguards that run them over!! Erin Joynt an 18 yr old visiting from Ohio had her head a shoulders crushed -BY A BEACH VEHICLE. Where is the priority? Mentioning other incidents that have occured does not change anything. It's still the cities responcibility-obligation- and Fault" for allowing these things to happen!!
New rules, same enforcement! Being here for 10 plus years here's what I've noticed. This year 17 students hit by cars in Deland. Why? People don't yield to pedestrians. It's almost as simple as that. I'm curious how many tickets have been issued for the failure to stop for pedestrians. How about the white stop line at traffic lights, or stopping in the crosswalks, or not using you turn signal. Then there's the let's drive in the passing lane for 10 miles because I'm to stupid to one over. They can pass all the laws they want to make someone feel good. Until they start enforcing the current ones and protecting the pedestrians it really doesn't matter. It will sure make everyone feel better.
flbchdriver

Kissimmee, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#3
Mar 4, 2012
 

Judged:

1

1

1

All this focus on the people driving??? What about the parents of children not watching their children and allowing them to run around like wild kids. Why should we loose a privelege because some people cant control their children or they just dont care. I see all the time parents not watching their children and it is MY responsibility to watch them...PLEAASSSSEEEEE....
option

Nashville, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#4
Mar 5, 2012
 

Judged:

2

2

1

Just take driving on the beach away, period. For life guards included. Can't shake a stick at how many have major oil leaks, nor how many of those drivers are straight up drunk/high behind the wheel.

Walking/playing on the beach shouldn't have to mean risking your life, and over the decades how many oil leaks just get washed into, and out to, the ocean.

Driving on the beach should have never been legal to begin with.

Since: May 09

usa

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#5
Mar 5, 2012
 

Judged:

3

1

flbchdriver wrote:
All this focus on the people driving??? What about the parents of children not watching their children and allowing them to run around like wild kids. Why should we loose a privelege because some people cant control their children or they just dont care. I see all the time parents not watching their children and it is MY responsibility to watch them...PLEAASSSSEEEEE....
OK I agree but parents won't control their kids. So we change the laws and they don't enforce the laws we have now. 17 kids hit this year by autos since Sept. We drive 2ton vehicles we need to stop for all pedestrians. I'm from NY and people get stopped all the time for not stopping. We as drivers have a choice. Go or stop! Hurt someone or lose 2 minutes while we let them cross. I'll take the 2 minutes. I do believe we should stop the beach driving but then people will be killed crossing Atlantic Ave. We need to yield to the pedestrians. Just my opinion.
Joe

Lady Lake, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#6
Mar 5, 2012
 

Judged:

1

1

1

flbchdriver wrote:
All this focus on the people driving??? What about the parents of children not watching their children and allowing them to run around like wild kids. Why should we loose a privelege because some people cant control their children or they just dont care. I see all the time parents not watching their children and it is MY responsibility to watch them...PLEAASSSSEEEEE....
Six accidents have occured on Daytona Beach because of Beach Vehicles. That's why the focus is on Driving!! They were all caused by F-150 beach patrol trucks. The number of children you claim to see running Wild' on the beach is nonspecific. They are children...it's what they do! You're watching other parents not watching their kids, & you want nothing to do with the concern of watching them because you wouldn't do it yourself? Yet... you see this all the time! That doesn't make sense. It isn't someones fault to come to Daytona & relax. If you have proof be more specific!
Joe

Lady Lake, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#7
Mar 5, 2012
 

Judged:

1

Erin Joynt is from Kansas> The point is still the same.
just saying

Nashville, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#8
Mar 5, 2012
 

Judged:

1

"Why should we loose a privelege because some people cant control their children or they just dont care. I see all the time parents not watching their children and it is MY responsibility to watch them...PLEAASSSSEEEEE.... "

And, how many parents that talk as you do are actually parents themselves that let their kids run wild and don't control or watch them themselves, but spew about OTHER parent/kids AS IF... so, "PLEAASSSSEEEEE", m'k.

You hit a kid on the beach, or anyone anywhere as they are the pedestrian YOU THE DRIVER ARE AT FAULT PERIOD, so.... watch YOURSELF, is the point.
Joe

Lady Lake, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#9
Mar 5, 2012
 

Judged:

1

1

Many people are angry about this issue. The safety of children should be a priority. Lifeguards in Daytona Beach are not concern with sefety regulations. It's part of their responsibilty. Arguing the point of public safety to the city council members should be what people do in this case. Residents become discouraged by that idea because in the past they have not been able to express their point because the city commissioners will not listen to public imput
well

Nashville, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#10
Mar 5, 2012
 
... who's voting them in there?? those are the ones that need smartening up; otherwise, why should the commissioners listen, let alone DO their jobs. Did you think they would have ethics, voluntarily? They SHOULD, of course, but ....

Great concept, anyway.
Joe

Lady Lake, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#12
Mar 6, 2012
 

Judged:

1

1

The Residents of Daytona are out voted by a private sector. George Anderson Theresa Doan Ramara Garrett Manny Bornia Al Smith Hyatt Brown Jerry Fink Kent Sharples- they are suspected of paying local government, to benefit their own profit. George Anderson owns or owned before the the forclosure, the shops of Oceanwalk. The shops are a $38 million dollar debt, Al Smith mentioned a loss of $53.000 on an ice skating rink investment, his figures and answers change & conflict each time this is an issue. The money is used to pay off the Oceanwalk debt. Al Smith's income for this investment was a reported $50.000 he claims was spent on buying a used generator! There are several stories like this Manny Bornia lost $2.5. Million [not $1.5] on a music festival. The stories don't change. The list becomes insignificent because the State Attorney [R.J. Larissa will not invesigate white collar crime.
thats just it

Nashville, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#13
Mar 6, 2012
 

Judged:

1

1

1

Joe wrote:
The Residents of Daytona are out voted by a private sector. George Anderson Theresa Doan Ramara Garrett Manny Bornia Al Smith Hyatt Brown Jerry Fink Kent Sharples- they are suspected of paying local government, to benefit their own profit. George Anderson owns or owned before the the forclosure, the shops of Oceanwalk. The shops are a $38 million dollar debt, Al Smith mentioned a loss of $53.000 on an ice skating rink investment, his figures and answers change & conflict each time this is an issue. The money is used to pay off the Oceanwalk debt. Al Smith's income for this investment was a reported $50.000 he claims was spent on buying a used generator! There are several stories like this Manny Bornia lost $2.5. Million [not $1.5] on a music festival. The stories don't change. The list becomes insignificent because the State Attorney [R.J. Larissa will not invesigate white collar crime.
White collar crime/white collar mafia, will never be changed, nor outed - let alone corrupt gov't attorney's relationships with them severed.

It's simply is what it is, and I'm not typing this with a glib attitude. Anger, and frustration, with these "white collar" crimes that are made legal by corrupt gov't offices, and corrupt state laws with their nifty loopholes that these crimes are ALLOWED to be committed through......... is it any wonder that less and less Fla. citizen's show up at the polls?

"Florida the STATE of Fraud" OLD news.
Joe

Lady Lake, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#14
Mar 6, 2012
 

Judged:

1

thats just it wrote:
<quoted text>
White collar crime/white collar mafia, will never be changed, nor outed - let alone corrupt gov't attorney's relationships with them severed.
It's simply is what it is, and I'm not typing this with a glib attitude. Anger, and frustration, with these "white collar" crimes that are made legal by corrupt gov't offices, and corrupt state laws with their nifty loopholes that these crimes are ALLOWED to be committed through......... is it any wonder that less and less Fla. citizen's show up at the polls?
"Florida the STATE of Fraud" OLD news.
That's just it. Corupt government has nifty loopholes because lawyers become politicians.
from out of town

Blacksburg, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#15
Mar 7, 2012
 
I was at the beach last week and was hit by a lady backing out to leave the beach.I was lucky it was only a glancing blow and i had no injuries.In all it was as much my falt as hers. I had on hed sets and was to close to her car. She said she didnt see me and im shure she didnt.A way to avoid backing accidents on the beach would be to have all cars parked pointing towards the water. Another words ,back into a spot when you arive,this way you would be more likley to see wher you are going when you leave.This would not cause any problems for anyone and could avoid a backing accident from taking place.I tried to find a way to email the newspaper with this idea but could not find the email address.
from out of town

Blacksburg, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#16
Mar 7, 2012
 
Should be fault and head sets.
localprof

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#17
Apr 7, 2012
 

Judged:

1

Boy, the quality of the beach driving debate has certainly changed in the last two years. When I first engaged this topic online, Shirely Reynolds was offering solid and factual arguments against beach driving (or at least limiting it); she was met with abuse and name calling. It's good to see more reasonable people dominating the conversation now.
Hogjaw Twaddle

Oviedo, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#18
Apr 8, 2012
 

Judged:

2

2

1

Wood'int have this problem if the Damn Yankees would go back up North at this time a year like they use too.

F'in winter people...
stupid

Nashville, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#19
Apr 8, 2012
 

Judged:

2

2

1

"Wood'int" ???

Omg, GO LAY DOWN dumbazz, while your at it take some MORE pain med for that migraine ya got coming for the pain of that 4th braincell trying to muscle in to join the other 3 you have left, that you're fighting against. LOL
Hogjaw Twaddle

Oviedo, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#20
Apr 9, 2012
 

Judged:

1

1

stupid wrote:
"Wood'int" ???
Omg, GO LAY DOWN dumbazz, while your at it take some MORE pain med for that migraine ya got coming for the pain of that 4th braincell trying to muscle in to join the other 3 you have left, that you're fighting against. LOL
Don'u hava still to start set'in up?
It is that time of season ain't it?

FOAD!

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••
•••
•••

Ormond Beach Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Ormond Beach People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••

Ormond Beach News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Ormond Beach
•••

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]
•••