Allons, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 24, 2010

Judged:

We just returned home from a weeks vacation in Daytona Beach.....on Friday, we got a traffic ticket for speeding.....(which is fine, cause we were going with the flow of traffic on A1A, which was going over the speed limit)....Don't have a problem with that at all.....however, the problem I have is with the outrageous fines that Volusia County has!!!!....Is it not enough that the people who travel to your county to spend their vacations & a very large amount of money in your county, then have to pay outrageous and unheard of fines......and to elaborate just a little, if you have ever gotten a ticket in the wonderful county of Volusia, and you just so happen to be from out of state and then return home to pay the fine, you will also be charged a percentage fee for paying the fine.....come on, that's just as bad as saying we don't appreciate your business and let us bend you over and break one off in you!!!!....Don't get me wrong, I love Daytona, but I think the county government needs to set down and redo some of it's traffic fines......where I am from, if you get a ticket, the max fine is $150.00.....if it is your first offense, then you get to attend driving school ( and don't have to pay the ticket or a processing fee)......unlike Volusia County, you have the option of driving school, but you still have to pay the outrageous fine, PLUS a processing fee, PLUS pay for the driving school!!!!!.....needless to say, we left a day early because we didn't want to spend another dime in Volusia County!!!!
perhaps

Knoxville, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 24, 2010

Judged:

the fines are set that high in hopes of deterring speeders from blaming everyone else on the road for their own lead foot, and actually LEARN the wisdom of the mistake of jumping off of the bridge because everyone else around them is. Yanno... preferably BEFORE there's a massive fatal car pile up on the road?

Simply put: Arrogance, and stupidity is expensive... as well it should be! How high do the fines HAVE to get before it makes sense to you that the safety of your loved ones is priceless?
Clem T Tirebiter

Edgewater, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 26, 2010

Judged:

We 'har in Volusia County charge yew Nogh'ners mo'e so we doesn't git pulled over fo' speedin'!

:)

Seagulls & Summer People got they're nose's in G'dam everything!
out of state vacationer

Allons, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 26, 2010

this post was not put on here to start a fuss.....it was put on here because of an opinion....I don't believe anyone was blaming anyone else on the road for their lead foot as put in the previous post, nor was it put on here to put the citizen of Volusia County down in anyway!!!!......my point was, I don't know of anywhere else that has fines that high, and then to top it off when you try to pay them when you return home, you are charged again!!!!!.....and as for the arrogance and stupidity, check yourself!!!!!!!!!!get to know someone before you start bad mouthing them!!!!!!!!!

Since: Jul 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 26, 2010

out of state vacationer wrote:
this post was not put on here to start a fuss.....it was put on here because of an opinion....I don't believe anyone was blaming anyone else on the road for their lead foot as put in the previous post, nor was it put on here to put the citizen of Volusia County down in anyway!!!!......my point was, I don't know of anywhere else that has fines that high, and then to top it off when you try to pay them when you return home, you are charged again!!!!!.....and as for the arrogance and stupidity, check yourself!!!!!!!!!!get to know someone before you start bad mouthing them!!!!!!!!!
What was the total costs?
out of state vacationer

Allons, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 27, 2010

$256.00.....then there would be a percentage cost for paying it (if you waited until you got home)....because they only take payment online....maybe we are just from a small town & our fines aren't that high, it may honestly be that high in other places, it was just SUCH a shock!!!!!.....it is amazing just how different things are done elsewhere!!!

Since: Jul 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 27, 2010

That is pretty outrageous.

Florida loves to take advantage of those who visit and vacation here. Kind of strange to me considering how economically depressed the state is in.

Daytona should focus on cleaning up all the hookers and drug dealers that plague the city and quit picking on out of state visitors and vacationers for going a few miles above the speed limit.
CEC

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 27, 2010

Where in Volusia Co. were you? How fast were you going?
out of state vacationer

Allons, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 27, 2010

on A1A in Daytona Shores....we LOVE Daytona....we actually have vacation property there......we were just shocked at the fine.....we didn't have a problem at all with getting the ticket, cause we were evidently speeding....the cop was extremely nice!!!....I just think they need better ways of at least paying the fines.....not charging you more TO PAY THEM!!!!!!!
CEC

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 28, 2010

Anyone that's lived here long enough and has a license will tell you...NEVER SPEED IN THE SHORES. They are NOTORIOUS for speed traps. Even if it's only 5 miles over the limit. I knew when I was posting this question it had to be the Shores so you have a legitimate gripe. Anyone here who argues that the shores is fair about speeding fines is on crack.
Urtenfifteen

Tampa, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 28, 2010

Claiming that any punishment is justifiable upon commision of an offense if flawed logic.
Following this reasoning, the second ammendment should be ignored because someone used a gun to commit a crime, or that the first ammendment should be thrown out because someone called another person a deragotory and offensive name.
Maybe you think someone's hand should be cut off after being caught stealing, which is fine, but there are other countries for you folks to live in and America with it's bothersome Constitution probably isn't the best place for you to continue to reside.
unforgivenone

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 31, 2010

$256??? Is that it? What are you crying about??
I got a ticket on 7/19 in Georgia on my way home from Jacksonville Beach Florida. Get this....UT was $530 + a $37 processing fee...$567 total for going 88 in a 70 and I was going SLOW compared to all the other vehicles passing me. I was the unlucky one the cop could actually catch up w/ to pull over.
out of towner too

Geneva, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 6, 2011

Judged:

I just received a citation in the mail from Daytona Beach. I was actually up there for one hour for business from Sanford. I was at the intersection of 92 and Nova Road. I came to the intersection to make a right onto Nova and slowed to check the traffic from my left. My citation says "failure to stop at a red light" Really?, because it was all captured on video by the same camera that took the picture of my tag and there was still traffic from the opposite direction and mine proceeding through the intersection.

I guess they can't afford a real cop to be out there stopping people that are really breaking the law.

Just a scam by Volusia county to make more money. Thank god I never go to Daytona and that i don't live there! Now I know I will never go back unless forced.
Joe

Lady Lake, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 6, 2011

Those fines are set by the state. Not the county. Volusia County has taken responsibilty for reducing traffic fines by installing A RED LIGHT camera system. Based on statistics of traffic paterns particularly in the tourist area where there would be a higher fee as opposed to Beach Street or Nova Rd. The point was never made exactly how much the fee was which leads to exaggeration. More often than not when someone says that no harm is intented they will say something harmful. It effects overall tourism in any case.
Joe

Lady Lake, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 6, 2011

correction the fee was mentioned. But the point remains the same!
Joe

Lady Lake, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 6, 2011

Lakeland Yankee wrote:
That is pretty outrageous.
Florida loves to take advantage of those who visit and vacation here. Kind of strange to me considering how economically depressed the state is in.
Daytona should focus on cleaning up all the hookers and drug dealers that plague the city and quit picking on out of state visitors and vacationers for going a few miles above the speed limit.
11 drug related prostitution arrests in February. 11 drug related poststitution arests in MAY! Mike Chitwood is working on a high tech crime system.
Slick

Port Orange, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 6, 2011

Like it or not - The red light cameras are here! Despite the claims that its all about 'safety'- Its all about Money! And if you check your driving manual you will note that state law (most if not all states) requires you to come to a Full Stop before turning right on red. As far as the amount of the fines - each municipality and government agency has its fingers in the till - again, all about the money.
Personally I would like to see fines based on income to make it more fair. If person A makes $400 a week and is charged $250 then person B who makes $800 a week should be charged $500 - that would cause the same amount of financial 'injury' to both parties. As with other areas of our society - shifting the financial burden to those at the lower end of the earning scale just leads to more problems.
Driving thru Georgia

Indianapolis, IN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 21, 2012

I would have gladly paid a 256.00 speeding fine vs the 792.00 fine we had to pay when we were ticketed driving home from Florida in GA. I completely agree the ticket was necessary, my husband was speeding however 792.00 is a little ridiculous!!!! The fine here where I am from is 150.00! Boo Georgia!!!
ThomasA

Birmingham, AL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 30, 2012

At some point in your life you will grow up and learn to obey those little roadside speed limit signs and your troubles will be over. Yes, there were speed trap towns on the routes to Florida in the past but AAA has broken most of them up. Don't pay attention to what other people are doing and you will get home just as fast with dollars in your pocket.
topazfu

Sacramento, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 31, 2012

Judged:

Sorry, but on A1A in The Shores there's no such thing as going with the traffic. If you were in a freeway in Los Angeles I could sympathize somewhat, but South Atlantic is a residential street. Any fine under $500 is a pittance. Also, please understand that The Shores police really have only one road to patrol. They've got plenty of time to catch speeders.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••
•••
•••

Ormond Beach Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Ormond Beach People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••