Ita s not over yet

Ita s not over yet

There are 7 comments on the Brattleboro Reformer story from Apr 12, 2010, titled Ita s not over yet. In it, Brattleboro Reformer reports that:

The backlash to February's 26-4 vote by the Vermont Senate opposing the relicensing of Vermont Yankee has been building for weeks.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Brattleboro Reformer.

maggiemaggot

Danby, VT

#1 Apr 13, 2010
"It's an old, tired plant run by a company we can't trust," he said.

Thus the politician Shumlin bad mouths VY. Why does he think he knows anything about it? He is out of touch with the reality because he doesn't want the truth to be the focus of the discussion. The truth is that the entity that will determine whether this plant is safe isn't the Vermont citizen legislature. It will be relicensed, if it is safe, because the NRC has determined it is safe.

The politicians and the Reformer want this discussion to swirl around in the fringe issues like the misrepresentation about underground pipes, or the tritium or the decomissioning fund. The truth is that this is about safety and we are all going to have to focus on that before we are done. With the help of the NRC we will make the right decision based on the facts and not the wrong decision based on politics.
Return to Sanity in VT

Rochester, VT

#2 Apr 13, 2010
Does the Brattleboro Reformer support war for oil? President Barak Obama has stated the connection between domestic energy and national security and has taken steps to address the issue in recent months. Why then does the Brattleboro Reformer choose to work against the President's efforts in favor of Peter Shumlin's political bid?
Joe

Belmont, VT

#3 Apr 13, 2010
I'm going to buy a new Toyota so I'll be safe, my old car needs fix'en offen so might be unsafe and needs to be shut down.
I Vote Vermont

Rochester, VT

#4 Apr 13, 2010
Joe wrote:
I'm going to buy a new Toyota so I'll be safe, my old car needs fix'en offen so might be unsafe and needs to be shut down.
I have seen several Toyota's with for sale by owner signs this spring. I wonder what the trade in value is these days? Perhaps a nice Ford?
Mike Mulligan

Roslindale, MA

#5 Apr 13, 2010
maggiemaggot wrote:
"It's an old, tired plant run by a company we can't trust," he said.
Thus the politician Shumlin bad mouths VY. Why does he think he knows anything about it? He is out of touch with the reality because he doesn't want the truth to be the focus of the discussion. The truth is that the entity that will determine whether this plant is safe isn't the Vermont citizen legislature. It will be relicensed, if it is safe, because the NRC has determined it is safe.
The politicians and the Reformer want this discussion to swirl around in the fringe issues like the misrepresentation about underground pipes, or the tritium or the decomissioning fund. The truth is that this is about safety and we are all going to have to focus on that before we are done. With the help of the NRC we will make the right decision based on the facts and not the wrong decision based on politics.
The VY manager’s Ayn Rand republican conservative “I hate the government” crowd in now getting in bed with the NRC. This is getting hilarious!

Since: Apr 10

Danby, VT

#6 Apr 13, 2010
Mike Mulligan wrote:
<quoted text>
The VY manager’s Ayn Rand republican conservative “I hate the government” crowd in now getting in bed with the NRC. This is getting hilarious!
I don't work at VY. I am an Ayn Rand conservative but not a republican. I don't hate all government. I do recognize the areas we need government. I also recognize the areas we don't need as much government intervention. We don't need private armies but we do need public schools (although vouchers would make them run better).

The NRC is one of those areas of government where we have to have a "necessary" evil....a government run bureaucracy. I have experience with environmental bureaucracy and find them a big time pain in the butt just because they never really do see it from the private sector perspective. Sometimes it is overkill but in the case of the NRC it is probably necessary and as a result they have done an outstanding job supervising the nuclear power industry in the US for the last 60 years. Like I said the only mistake they can make is being too easy on safety or relicensing, and they have absolutely no incentive to be easy.
Joe

Belmont, VT

#7 Apr 13, 2010
I Vote Vermont wrote:
<quoted text>I have seen several Toyota's with for sale by owner signs this spring. I wonder what the trade in value is these days? Perhaps a nice Ford?
Most Ford's are made by Americans, isn't it better to buy imports and complain about the government screwing up the economy ?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Orleans Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Two arraigned in I-91 heroin bust (Oct '14) May '16 Anonymous 9
Leads For Home Security Alarm Systems (Oct '12) May '16 patrickjones 6
News Tesla Green Mountain Power parternship brings r... (May '16) May '16 Solarman 1
News Police: Man found with 1,428 bags of heroin in ... (Mar '16) Apr '16 markey fife 2
News Bizarre car theft in Bennington (Jun '13) Jun '13 Elmer 2
News Vermont farmer uses tractor to smash 7 police c... (Aug '12) Aug '12 Eighthman 17
News Truck carrying turbine for Vermont project tips... (Jul '12) Aug '12 jonp 7

Orleans Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Orleans Mortgages