Kayaker Has Close Encounter with Grea...

Kayaker Has Close Encounter with Great White

There are 16 comments on the NBC Connecticut story from Jul 9, 2012, titled Kayaker Has Close Encounter with Great White. In it, NBC Connecticut reports that:

Walter Szulc Jr., in kayak at left, looks back at the dorsal fin of an approaching shark at Nauset Beach in Orleans, Mass.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at NBC Connecticut.

“Jody”

Since: Apr 09

Location hidden

#1 Jul 9, 2012
A great white delight,..
a Kayak snack attack?

Since: Feb 09

Location hidden

#2 Jul 9, 2012
dont think i'll be kayaking anymore.

sorry sis...

:]

Beautiful Black Molly

“I care more about my character”

Since: Jun 11

...... then my reputation

#3 Jul 9, 2012
WOW ..... pretty scary.

“Ante Omnia Armari”

Since: Nov 07

"You get back what you give"

#4 Jul 9, 2012
Yikes, paddle faster!

Beautiful Black Molly

“I care more about my character”

Since: Jun 11

...... then my reputation

#5 Jul 9, 2012
That's a big guy in that kayak. That shark was probably think, "if I just tap it, I'll get that boat to flip, then LUNCH".
Parden pard

Northampton, PA

#6 Jul 9, 2012
No way I'd be scared ,,,! After paddling right on and to the sand ,,,? I'd need to just walk away,,,,
(because I have already pissed myself,,,hee,hee)!
Captain Shlomo

United States

#7 Jul 13, 2012
If you look closer at the dorsal fin on that Shark you will no doubt but notice that it is not a Great White but instead is a just as large but completely harmless Basking Shark. The numb-skulls in the media today are a bunch of under educated buffoons. Always ready to sensationalize their story without consulting experts for a more accurate report. Just ask any fishermen or local with experience in the bay and you might get a better picture of whats going on.

“Common sense isn't common”

Since: Aug 08

Morrisville, PA

#8 Jul 14, 2012
omg and my fiance has just asked me to go kayaking this coming weekend. talk about terrible timing lol.

Beautiful Black Molly

“I care more about my character”

Since: Jun 11

...... then my reputation

#9 Jul 14, 2012
Captain Shlomo wrote:
If you look closer at the dorsal fin on that Shark you will no doubt but notice that it is not a Great White but instead is a just as large but completely harmless Basking Shark. The numb-skulls in the media today are a bunch of under educated buffoons. Always ready to sensationalize their story without consulting experts for a more accurate report. Just ask any fishermen or local with experience in the bay and you might get a better picture of whats going on.
Not saying you aren't right, but would a basking shark be that close to shore? I thought they were deep sea creatures.
Naturally Wired

Moncton, Canada

#10 Jul 14, 2012
Kayakers close encounter with whales. Not as bad as a Great White shark I know, but I wouldn't want to be tipped over by anything in the sea...lol

Captain Schlomo

Mashpee, MA

#11 Jul 14, 2012
Beautiful Black Molly wrote:
<quoted text>
Not saying you aren't right, but would a basking shark be that close to shore? I thought they were deep sea creatures.
Basking sharks are big gentle giants and when they are seen they tend to filter feed at or near the surface ..hence the term "basking". They don't pose a risk as a man eater. However, they have a reputation for frightening individuals in small vessels as they will seek a bit shade even when the vessel is much smaller than them. Basking sharks have been spotted quite often in Wellfleet bay. I have no reason to believe Truro is any different.
Captain Schlomo

Mashpee, MA

#12 Jul 14, 2012
PFfff wrote:
dont think i'll be kayaking anymore.
sorry sis...
:]
. I believe this to be a basking shark. See link http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3479/3735527455...
Chief Punonakanit

United States

#13 Jul 15, 2012
Many moons ago there was a young brave that rode on the fin of the Great White Shark. Only to be thrown and devoured in a pool of bloody froth. Heed my warning young braves and squaws. The spirit of this same great white is now angry and out for human blood.

Beautiful Black Molly

“I care more about my character”

Since: Jun 11

...... then my reputation

#14 Jul 16, 2012
Captain Schlomo wrote:
<quoted text>
Basking sharks are big gentle giants and when they are seen they tend to filter feed at or near the surface ..hence the term "basking". They don't pose a risk as a man eater. However, they have a reputation for frightening individuals in small vessels as they will seek a bit shade even when the vessel is much smaller than them. Basking sharks have been spotted quite often in Wellfleet bay. I have no reason to believe Truro is any different.
Thanks for the info, I know a little about fish habits, and I did know basking sharks were harmless. But they are BIG, lol.
Beachcomberbum

Los Angeles, CA

#15 Jul 17, 2012
Beautiful Black Molly wrote:
<quoted text>
Thanks for the info, I know a little about fish habits, and I did know basking sharks were harmless. But they are BIG, lol.
Agreed... My first encounter with a Basking shark was one of fear. I was fishing in the middle of Wellfleet harbor and a suburban-sized shark slowly swam under my 11 foot homemade boat. I high-tailed out of there. It wasn't until later that I realized that it was a basking shark.

“Jody”

Since: Apr 09

Location hidden

#16 Jul 17, 2012
Beachcomberbum wrote:
<quoted text> Agreed... My first encounter with a Basking shark was one of fear. I was fishing in the middle of Wellfleet harbor and a suburban-sized shark slowly swam under my 11 foot homemade boat. I high-tailed out of there. It wasn't until later that I realized that it was a basking shark.
Lol,.. run first, ask questions later. When it comes to sharks, I'm with that program.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Orleans Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Election Who do you support for U.S. House in Massachuse... (Oct '10) Jan 24 Ted 14
News Where the Obamas, Trumps are vacationing new (Aug '17) Aug '17 Red Crosse 44
Chatham dune buggy racing in the early '70s? (Oct '07) Apr '17 Mph 7
News Orleans District Court (Aug '09) Nov '16 Q-Ball posse 23
News Man Paints Dog (Sep '16) Sep '16 Marley Honey 18
News On Martha's Vineyard, hope for another Clinton era (Aug '16) Aug '16 too much 2
News Obama marks birthday with star-studded bash (Aug '16) Aug '16 gwww 1

Orleans Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Orleans Mortgages