Call for arrest of watch captain who shot kid

Mar 19, 2012 Full story: New York Daily News 29,885

ORLANDO, Fla. -- College students around Florida rallied Monday to demand the arrest of a white neighborhood watch captain who shot an unarmed black teen last month, though authorities may be hamstrung by a state law that allows people to defend themselves with deadly force.

Full Story

Level 1

Since: Dec 12

Location hidden

#21580 Dec 16, 2012
Sallyomally wrote:
<quoted text>
I agree,nice how the tape was edited too. King was his own worst enemy...ends up plunging into a pool and drowns because he was drunk and stoned just like he was that night he became infamous, case closed.
The media can omit or add a word or two in a report and change the whole meaning...sometimes criminal the power they have.
Zimmerman has an excellent false light defamation case against NBC. I believe he also has a cause of action against Mr. Martin's parents, since he was 17 years old, and parents are responsible for the torts if their children. It's indisputable that Martin used deadly force against Zimmerman by smashing his head upon concrete, and aggravated battery is prosecutable civilly and criminally.

Zimmerman, though, has significant comparative negligence due to assumption of risk. It would not be a popular lawsuit, but his damages are obvious. My legal opinion is he did not commit any crime, yet personally, I think he was a fool, and if he had not been armed, he would not have engaged in his risky behavior.

I have held a CCW license since I was a police officer (over 20 years now). If I see a potential situation that might call for a confrontation, then I leave the area. Things can go badly very quickly.
Sallyomally

Sanford, FL

#21581 Dec 16, 2012
DillinghamLawFirm wrote:
<quoted text>
Zimmerman has an excellent false light defamation case against NBC. I believe he also has a cause of action against Mr. Martin's parents, since he was 17 years old, and parents are responsible for the torts if their children. It's indisputable that Martin used deadly force against Zimmerman by smashing his head upon concrete, and aggravated battery is prosecutable civilly and criminally.
Zimmerman, though, has significant comparative negligence due to assumption of risk. It would not be a popular lawsuit, but his damages are obvious. My legal opinion is he did not commit any crime, yet personally, I think he was a fool, and if he had not been armed, he would not have engaged in his risky behavior.
I have held a CCW license since I was a police officer (over 20 years now). If I see a potential situation that might call for a confrontation, then I leave the area. Things can go badly very quickly.
He was doing just that, leaving the area when he was assaulted. Can you imagine if there were a law against being foolish. George was assisting the dispatcher as to what direction Martin went so LE could find Martin when they got there , dispatcher told George they are on their way.

George fired as a last resort before he may have lost consciousness, then what? He was screaming for help and Martin wouldn't let him up. Why would any vigilante stalkers,ready to kill call LE and stay on the phone with them knowing they are going to be there any second , that's absolutely absurd.

I wonder, would Martin have been so testerone induced gansta wannabe apt to confront George had he known George had a concealed weapon. If so I am sure he would have planted himself at Brandy's TH and stayed. DEEDEE said Trayvon was at his father's house....he attacked George 70 yards from there at the T, he would have had to leave Brandi's .
Sallyomally

Sanford, FL

#21582 Dec 16, 2012
Go Blue Forever wrote:
<quoted text>Did you ever hear the outcome, of the other Florida, Stand Your Ground case...where the father and daughter were in the park, where the kids were skateboarding, and the older black man, came out of his house, armed and yelled at the skateboarders, then got into an altercation with the younger dad, leading to the shooting? I never heard the outcome of that case, it was much more deliberate thans this one....
This is all I could find.
----------
[Last modified: Nov 16, 2012 04:58 PM]

"The court finds that Mr. James was justified in grabbing (Dooley) because defendant had reached for and pulled out a gun to confront Mr. James," Moody wrote.

Her ruling means that Dooley will stand trial for manslaughter, unless her order is overturned on appeal. He is still entitled to present a "stand your ground" argument, or any other self-defense argument, to a jury. No trial date has been set. A status hearing will be held Thursday.

http://www.tampabay.com/news/courts/criminal/...
Sallyomally

Sanford, FL

#21583 Dec 16, 2012
Go Blue Forever wrote:
<quoted text>Did you ever hear the outcome, of the other Florida, Stand Your Ground case...where the father and daughter were in the park, where the kids were skateboarding, and the older black man, came out of his house, armed and yelled at the skateboarders, then got into an altercation with the younger dad, leading to the shooting? I never heard the outcome of that case, it was much more deliberate thans this one....
This is recent:

Hearing will continue Jan. 12th

Notice the name of the neighborhood....Arthur, now 15, said he was visiting friends in the Twin Lakes neighborhood. creepy huh.

Sallyomally

Sanford, FL

#21584 Dec 16, 2012

Level 7

Since: Oct 12

Location hidden

#21585 Dec 16, 2012
Sallyomally wrote:
<quoted text>
This is all I could find.
----------
[Last modified: Nov 16, 2012 04:58 PM]
"The court finds that Mr. James was justified in grabbing (Dooley) because defendant had reached for and pulled out a gun to confront Mr. James," Moody wrote.
Her ruling means that Dooley will stand trial for manslaughter, unless her order is overturned on appeal. He is still entitled to present a "stand your ground" argument, or any other self-defense argument, to a jury. No trial date has been set. A status hearing will be held Thursday.
Thank you so much...that is the exact case, i was speaking of.....i don't see where Dooley has such a great defense, in that he knowingly armed himself, before going onto the park, to confront the teens, over skateboarding on the basketball court...Also he pulled his weapons, before anyone touched him...

Level 5

Since: Feb 11

Location hidden

#21586 Dec 16, 2012
DillinghamLawFirm wrote:
The fact remains that if a woman had shot Mr. Martin, or a White male had shot another White male, or if it weere solely Black males involved, this case likely would never have occurred.
It would have not occurred if the pedophile thug Zimmerman had not been carrying a gun- and in many states, he would not have been allowed to be carrying the gun- he would not have gotten out of the truck and chased down this boy, and if this pedophile thug Zimmerman had shot a white boy armed with but a bag of candy, he would have not left jail that night and he would already be serving time.

Level 5

Location hidden

#21587 Dec 16, 2012
DillinghamLawFirm wrote:
<quoted text>
Zimmerman has an excellent false light defamation case against NBC.
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHA!

Well, let's see how it goes when Zimmerman gets out of prison but I think the statute of limitation will prevent him from any recourse putting aside I doubt he'll have any money left for competent representation.

Send him your card, eh?

Sallyomally

Sanford, FL

#21588 Dec 16, 2012
Go Blue Forever wrote:
<quoted text>Thank you so much...that is the exact case, i was speaking of.....i don't see where Dooley has such a great defense, in that he knowingly armed himself, before going onto the park, to confront the teens, over skateboarding on the basketball court...Also he pulled his weapons, before anyone touched him...
also the thing that is going to sink his boat is that there were children nearby. I wonder if other's have had run ins with Dooley?

Remember Melissa Alexander denied the SYG and sentenced to 20 years. She got the max because she shot a warning shot into the ceiling when there were children in the next room.

Level 5

Location hidden

#21589 Dec 16, 2012
DillinghamLawFirm wrote:
It's indisputable that Martin used deadly force against Zimmerman by smashing his head upon concrete
Already disputed.

So you lie.

PS: if Martin had used "deadly force"- putting aside Martin would have been completely justified in using it- the pedophile would have been taken to a hospital. Instead, he was taken to a jail cell.

PPS: If the pedophile did hit his head against concrete anywhere, it would not have been the concrete next to the truck where he was told to wait for the police.

Level 5

Location hidden

#21590 Dec 16, 2012
Sallyomally wrote:
<quoted text>
He was doing just that, leaving the area when he was assaulted.
You are indeed a liar and a Welsher, Welsher.

Welsh:
"A related colloquialism is the verb to welsh/welch ('to renege') as in 'to welsh/welch on a deal or bet', which is derived from an age-old 'English' stereotype of the Welsh/Celtic peoples as unreliable or oath-breakers"

Level 5

Location hidden

#21591 Dec 16, 2012
DillinghamLawFirm wrote:
It's indisputable that Martin used deadly force against Zimmerman by smashing his head upon concrete, and aggravated battery is prosecutable civilly and criminally..
What is indisputable is if Martin had had a gun instead of just a bag of Skittles, Martin would have been completely justified in shooting the pedophile Zimmerman.

Imagine if you will that you are minding your own business walking the street at night and some creepy fat little man started to follow you in a truck at walking speed and you tried to evade him by going to where the truck couldn't follow and then this pervert appear in front of you?

I would have had my piece out and cocked, and if that fat bigoted blinked I would have unloaded the clip.
xxxrayted

Cleveland, OH

#21592 Dec 16, 2012
DillinghamLawFirm wrote:
<quoted text>
This entire event hinges on Zimmerman chasing Martin for that short spell. Had he not done that, it would have been an open and shut case already and probably never made the national medial. While there is no law saying you can't follow somebody, it was a bad move.

Had Martin attacked Zimmerman sometime during that short foot chase, he had every right to defend himself against Zimmerman. At that point, if Zimmerman then used his gun, he would be rightfully charged with murder.

I don't know much about Florida law, but it sounds pretty much the same as we have here in Ohio. If somebody cuts me off and I give them the finger, and the angered motorist ends up following me resulting me having to use my firearm, I'm going to jail because I started the heated situation. You can't be aggressive and then use your firearm for protection.

In CCW class, it was advised that if you are in a public place and somebody starts egging you on, you loudly announce your intent to leave the area so if you do have to use your firearm, there are plenty of witnesses stating you tried to remove yourself from the heated situation. When I was in martial arts years ago and studying black belt, my instructor told me if I ever ended up killing anybody defending myself, the only thing you tell the officers is that you were attacked, disabled your attacker, and went no further. You have to watch what you say and do at all times when it comes to violent situations.
Sallyomally

Sanford, FL

#21593 Dec 16, 2012
***Marissa Alexander

Corrine Brown wouldn't have given the case another thought if Marissa had been a different race.

http://www.youtube.com/watch...

What was her name again? huh? Can't hear you.

And then we have Fredrica Wilson AKA the cowgirl,
making this case about race without any of the facts, calling for the arrest of George spewing that Trayvon was hunted down like a rabid dog and shot in the street.
Sallyomally

Sanford, FL

#21594 Dec 16, 2012
xxxrayted wrote:
<quoted text>
This entire event hinges on Zimmerman chasing Martin for that short spell. Had he not done that, it would have been an open and shut case already and probably never made the national medial. While there is no law saying you can't follow somebody, it was a bad move.
Had Martin attacked Zimmerman sometime during that short foot chase, he had every right to defend himself against Zimmerman. At that point, if Zimmerman then used his gun, he would be rightfully charged with murder.
I don't know much about Florida law, but it sounds pretty much the same as we have here in Ohio. If somebody cuts me off and I give them the finger, and the angered motorist ends up following me resulting me having to use my firearm, I'm going to jail because I started the heated situation. You can't be aggressive and then use your firearm for protection.
In CCW class, it was advised that if you are in a public place and somebody starts egging you on, you loudly announce your intent to leave the area so if you do have to use your firearm, there are plenty of witnesses stating you tried to remove yourself from the heated situation. When I was in martial arts years ago and studying black belt, my instructor told me if I ever ended up killing anybody defending myself, the only thing you tell the officers is that you were attacked, disabled your attacker, and went no further. You have to watch what you say and do at all times when it comes to violent situations.
The Florida Stand your Ground Law passed in 2005 reads as follows:

A person who is not engaged in an unlawful activity and who is attacked in any other place where he or she has a right to be has no duty to retreat and has the right to stand his or her ground and meet force with force, including deadly force or herself or another or to prevent the commission of a forcible felony.

So the law is pretty clear that if Zimmerman was attacked by Martin, he could use deadly force “if he... reasonably believes it is necessary to do so to prevent death or great bodily harm to himself.” Who was the aggressor becomes a, and probably the, crucial legal question. But its not the only question. While the law also states that the defense “is not available to a person who initially provokes the use of force against himself,” there are 2 exceptions. First, if:

“in good faith, the person withdraws from physical contact with the assailant and indicates clearly to the assailant that he or she desires to withdraw and terminate the use of force, but the assailant continues or resumes the use of force.”

There is nothing yet to suggest that Zimmerman will claim he tried to withdraw but since he was the only witness to the events just preceding the altercation, it could still become an issue. But the second exception is far more likely to be relevant. The law also states that the initial aggressor is permitted to invoke the law and claim self defense if in response to his own aggression,

“Such force is so great that the person reasonably believes that he or she is in imminent danger of death or great bodily harm and that he or she has exhausted every reasonable means to escape such danger other than the use of force which is likely to cause death or great bodily harm to the assailant.”

So in theory this could mean that Zimmerman chases down Martin, Martin defends himself and starts pummeling Zimmerman and Zimmerman could still claim he was “standing his ground” because he now feared for his life.

There is a witness that said the guy on top (M) kept pushing the guy on the botton (G) back down every time he tried to get up and he was screaming for help .

Even if G confronted Martin (he didn't) he could still claim self defense because he was surrendering and was trying to get away.

Was George afraid for his life he said yes, he was already receiving bodily harm.

Level 5

Location hidden

#21595 Dec 16, 2012
xxxrayted wrote:
<quoted text>
This entire event hinges on Zimmerman chasing Martin for that short spell. Had he not done that, it would have been an open and shut case
There would not have been a case. The boy would have gone home and enjoyed his bag of Skittles and Zimmerman would have gone home to drink and beat his wife.

Level 5

Location hidden

#21596 Dec 16, 2012
xxxrayted wrote:
I don't know much about Florida law, but it sounds pretty much the same as we have here in Ohio. If somebody cuts me off and I give them the finger, and the angered motorist ends up following me resulting me having to use my firearm, I'm going to jail because I started the heated situation.
You are full of cr&p.

Flipping the bird is a constitutional right, here: let me demonstrate:

,!,,

And if you missed it, let me try it again:

,!,,

The law is broken when one or both of you start driving like idiots, and the person who is going to jail is the person who starts flashing weapons.

Happy to demonstrate the first amendment any time you like.
xxxrayted

Cleveland, OH

#21597 Dec 16, 2012
Sallyomally wrote:
<quoted text>
The Florida Stand your Ground Law passed in 2005 reads as follows:
A person who is not engaged in an unlawful activity and who is attacked in any other place where he or she has a right to be has no duty to retreat and has the right to stand his or her ground and meet force with force, including deadly force or herself or another or to prevent the commission of a forcible felony.
So the law is pretty clear that if Zimmerman was attacked by Martin, he could use deadly force “if he... reasonably believes it is necessary to do so to prevent death or great bodily harm to himself.” Who was the aggressor becomes a, and probably the, crucial legal question. But its not the only question. While the law also states that the defense “is not available to a person who initially provokes the use of force against himself,” there are 2 exceptions. First, if:
“in good faith, the person withdraws from physical contact with the assailant and indicates clearly to the assailant that he or she desires to withdraw and terminate the use of force, but the assailant continues or resumes the use of force.”
There is nothing yet to suggest that Zimmerman will claim he tried to withdraw but since he was the only witness to the events just preceding the altercation, it could still become an issue. But the second exception is far more likely to be relevant. The law also states that the initial aggressor is permitted to invoke the law and claim self defense if in response to his own aggression,
“Such force is so great that the person reasonably believes that he or she is in imminent danger of death or great bodily harm and that he or she has exhausted every reasonable means to escape such danger other than the use of force which is likely to cause death or great bodily harm to the assailant.”
So in theory this could mean that Zimmerman chases down Martin, Martin defends himself and starts pummeling Zimmerman and Zimmerman could still claim he was “standing his ground” because he now feared for his life.
There is a witness that said the guy on top (M) kept pushing the guy on the botton (G) back down every time he tried to get up and he was screaming for help .
Even if G confronted Martin (he didn't) he could still claim self defense because he was surrendering and was trying to get away.
Was George afraid for his life he said yes, he was already receiving bodily harm.
The story Zimmerman's father told on Hannity is that during the fight, George's gun became exposed and Martin tried to take it from him. That alone gives Zimmerman the right to use the gun--especially if they were both struggling to get it.

If I were in that situation, I would shoot too. An aggressor whom I don't know nor have even met is trying to take my gun from me, I'm using it against him no matter what. GZ had no choice at that point. He was overpowered and couldn't chance Martin disarming him and using his own gun to shoot him.
xxxrayted

Cleveland, OH

#21598 Dec 16, 2012
barefoot2626 wrote:
<quoted text>
You are full of cr&p.
Flipping the bird is a constitutional right, here: let me demonstrate:
,!,,
And if you missed it, let me try it again:
,!,,
The law is broken when one or both of you start driving like idiots, and the person who is going to jail is the person who starts flashing weapons.
Happy to demonstrate the first amendment any time you like.
You don't know anything. Stick to subjects you are familiar with like food stamps and welfare.

Level 5

Location hidden

#21599 Dec 16, 2012
xxxrayted wrote:
<quoted text>
The story Zimmerman's father told on Hannity is that during the fight, George's gun became exposed and Martin tried to take it from him. That alone gives Zimmerman the right to use the gun--especially if they were both struggling to get it.
That's one of the stories pedophile Zimmerman told.

And yet the boy was still on the sidewalk where he had every right to be, and this pedophile had gotten out of the truck he had turned around because he didn't like the color of the boy's skin and then stalked the boy against what he was told by the police dispatcher and then confronted the boy knowing that he had a deadly weapon far far away from where he was told to stay.

And we- all Americans- already know that the pedophile Zimmerman is in fact a liar and the lies did not begin at his bail hearing.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Orlando Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
CASEY: Does the State Have the Goods to Convict? (Mar '10) 20 min MonaLittleMore 490,129
Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 48 min shinningelectr0n 1,153,060
Missing 5-year-old Florida girl likely was abdu... (Feb '09) 2 hr Vic 96,609
Review: Global Motorwerks LLC (Aug '13) 8 hr Melanie 7
Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds ... (Dec '08) 11 hr kal 49,174
Inspiration Lane - Don't Quit (May '09) 13 hr Miles 70,587
Let's Chat (Jan '12) 16 hr Miles 17,702
Orlando Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web

Orlando People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Orlando News, Events & Info