Call for arrest of watch captain who ...

Call for arrest of watch captain who shot kid

There are 29778 comments on the New York Daily News story from Mar 19, 2012, titled Call for arrest of watch captain who shot kid. In it, New York Daily News reports that:

ORLANDO, Fla. -- College students around Florida rallied Monday to demand the arrest of a white neighborhood watch captain who shot an unarmed black teen last month, though authorities may be hamstrung by a state law that allows people to defend themselves with deadly force.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at New York Daily News.

Rambler

Red Deer, Canada

#34343 Sep 2, 2013
Family matters wrote:
Serena Williams tweeting here. My Sister is a dumbass, but aren't we all for gods sake. If Brad wasn't at the US open couching Juan Delpotro, he would realize that juan lost.
Does your sister drive a car?

Tomorrow's topic!

WHY PEOPLE DRIVE CARS!
Rambler

Red Deer, Canada

#34344 Sep 2, 2013
Anonymous of Indy wrote:
<quoted text>by they way you might want to do some research why some things are the way they are.
Well before people drove cars there were trains, trolleys in cities, horses, or carriages, etc to ride on/in...... or walking of course.

But let's stick to the subject matter.......
Family matters

Key West, FL

#34345 Sep 2, 2013
How prude are we?

Love it or leave it.......

Rambler

Red Deer, Canada

#34346 Sep 2, 2013
Family matters wrote:
I can never convey my love and respect for all of man kind and Women's as well.
The DATE is set for tomorrow......(good one!)

WHY PEOPLE DRIVE CARS!

Level 1

Since: Aug 11

Location hidden

#34347 Sep 2, 2013
Rambler wrote:
<quoted text>
Well before people drove cars there were trains, trolleys in cities, horses, or carriages, etc to ride on/in...... or walking of course.
But let's stick to the subject matter.......
talk about hypocrties, you are not sticking to the subject matter which is "Call for arrest of watch captain who shot kid" so before being hypocritical let's stick to the subject matter instead of rambling off the subject that you have been doing.
Family matters

Key West, FL

#34349 Sep 2, 2013
Rambler

Red Deer, Canada

#34350 Sep 2, 2013
Anonymous of Indy wrote:
<quoted text>talk about hypocrties, you are not sticking to the subject matter which is "Call for arrest of watch captain who shot kid" so before being hypocritical let's stick to the subject matter instead of rambling off the subject that you have been doing.
Lighten up! WHY PEOPLE DRIVE CARS is an important matter that is concerning to xxxrayted.

If you insist that it be on Topic, you can add "watch captains going to the store".....the call for arrest already happened and the trial is over.

Opps, I gave one away!

Btw, was GZ on social assistance?

“JUSTICE DENIED, AGAIN!!!”

Level 8

Since: Mar 10

Location hidden

#34351 Sep 2, 2013
xxxrayted wrote:
<quoted text>
Except for the fact that this was not a SYG case. His lawyers didn't even want to have that hearing. This is a case about a victim being attacked and forced to use his firearm. Now if Zimmerman shot Martin because Martin was yelling at him and possibly making threats, then yes, that is a SYG case.
You can't call police because somebody told you a certain person was going to rob you. What are the police supposed to do? No crime was committed. And this is why we have laws that permit us to have and use firearms: because police are only good after a crime is committed. Up to that point, it's up to you to defend yourself.
I would have handled this situation differently. That being said, I would have handled the Martin situation differently than Zimmerman did too. But I don't think that because of the way they handled their particular matters, that we should make them criminals and incarcerate them.
You're too stupid to admit it but instructions were given to the jury for SYG. O'Mara wanted the jury to decide SYG, and they did.

You're a nut job.

Level 8

Location hidden

#34352 Sep 2, 2013
Rambler wrote:
<quoted text>
Lighten up! WHY PEOPLE DRIVE CARS is an important matter that is concerning to xxxrayted.
If you insist that it be on Topic, you can add "watch captains going to the store".....the call for arrest already happened and the trial is over.
Opps, I gave one away!
They were on food stamps, Pell grants and unemployment.

I wonder if they were also on Section 8 housing assistance.
Family matters

Key West, FL

#34353 Sep 2, 2013
zazz wrote:
<quoted text>
Chillout you. Be all you want to be.....

Level 1

Since: Aug 11

Location hidden

#34354 Sep 2, 2013
Rambler wrote:
<quoted text>
Opps, I gave one away!
that I don't but I said all along George Zimmerman wasn't guilty of murder and acted in self defense.

Level 8

Location hidden

#34355 Sep 2, 2013
xxxrayted wrote:
<quoted text>
Part of why we are 17 trillion in the hole and growing.
If you open up a bank account and deposit $500.00 every week, but withdraw $600.00, the bank either has to stop you from doing that or fold up.
You just keep on exposing your ignorance.

If you deposit $500 in the bank, the bank will not allow you to withdraw $600. They will charge you a fee of $39 for attempting to do so.

Banks are getting rich off their fees. Congress had to pass legislation allowing bank customers to opt out some of these outrageous fees.

If you had a bank account you would know these things.

Tired of Silly
Level 7

Since: Jan 12

Location hidden

#34356 Sep 3, 2013
zazz wrote:
<quoted text>
Pell Grants, perhaps. Mr. Zimmerman had a job at a mortgage company. He had to quit after he killed the beast due to death threats from people like you. Stop lying, Spazz/Bareback/Kateyass. You on the other hand..........LOTS of handout programs for you, dirtbag.

Tired of Silly
Level 7

Location hidden

#34357 Sep 3, 2013
Spazz up all night again..........and not even because it was being "forced to defend itself". Just a dirtbag who stays up all night and sleeps all day on the taxpayer's dime.

Tired of Silly
Level 7

Location hidden

#34358 Sep 3, 2013
xxxrayted wrote:
<quoted text>
Most married (or attached) women today do work. In fact, women surpass men in college graduates.
I don't know about your circle, but I know very few people who have the traditional family where the wife (or woman) stays home unless they are receiving public assistance. Besides the fact that the people I see all day long come in all ages, both sexes, all races and so on. There is no identifying characteristic of any of these people.
When I read statistics of our ever expanding welfare rolls, the fact that only half of the people in our country pay actual federal income tax, and then see all these people loafing around, I do draw conclusions. I can't prove my conclusions obviously, but I do draw them.
Sorry, but I know a fair number of women who are stay at home moms or wives, and they certainly aren't receiving welfare. Your assumptions that everyone you see on the road is on welfare is, quite frankly, offensive. I quite often have meetings outside my office. I get to them by driving there. When my colleagues and I go out to lunch, we drive there. Sometimes in our own cars, sometimes together. If I'm running out to Publix to get snacks for a meeting, I drive there. When I have a day off or am on vacation, I am out driving during the day. Yes, there are too many people on welfare and there should be NO ONE receiving taxpayer dollars for their personal needs, but seeing how many people are driving around on any given day is really not a good way to determine how many there are.
Huh

Faribault, MN

#34359 Sep 3, 2013
xxxrayted wrote:
<quoted text>
No, because you think SYG is a get out of jail free card. It's not.
Any and all shootings are investigated by detectives. If you claim that some drunk spilled a drink on you and you felt threatened enough to use a firearm to kill the drunk, no SYG law will protect you. Your case will be heard by a grand jury and you will likely go to prison for decades.
But since you like the bar scene so much, let me offer you another scenario:
I'm at the bar and somebody is giving me a hard time. Because I recognize that this patron is angry enough to attack me, I announce I'm leaving the establishment. In that process, the drunk stands up and stops me from leaving the bar. He throws a punch at me and I defend myself.
I level the attacker and police interview the witnesses. They find my story is true and accurate. I tried to avoid the violent situation and only threw one punch to defend myself; a punch enough to disable my attacker. The police let me go home and charge the drunk with felonious assault should I decide to press charges.
But what if the police arrived, and they found me beating the drunks head against the bar even though he was long from disabled from further attack and I was just retaliating? I would be arrested for felonious assault and possibly attempted murder.
The point is that even if Zimmerman didn't have a firearm, Martin left the point of self-defense and entered into felonious assault. Had Zimmerman not had a firearm and police found Martin holding Zimmerman down, beating him while he screamed for mercy, Martin would have been arrested for felonious assault since obviously, he long crossed the threshold of self-defense.
Before Martin was shot, he was breaking the law. There is no way anybody can claim Martin was acting in self-defense. He was in the process of felonious assault, and the person he attacked defended himself from such an assault. How does that make him a murderer?
EVERYONE OF THOSE SENARIOS IS NO DIFFERENT THEN THE ZIM TRYAVON DEAL..........
Your just a racist who was happy a black kid died.....in florida EITHER I CAN STAND MY GROUND OR CANT I??????????

If you push me shove me run into me hit me I would feel threatened........cant have it one way this time another next.....THREATENED IS THREATENED..........
Rambler

Red Deer, Canada

#34361 Sep 3, 2013
Sheriffs are unanimous - maybe not - on Stand Your Ground

By Sun Sentinel Editorial Board
2:27 pm, August 30, 2013

When is a unanimous vote not unanimous?

Floridians recently learned the answer to that riddle after a now-disputed vote by the Florida Sheriff's Association on the state's controversial Stand Your Ground law.

<snip>

After all, cheerleaders for the law — starting with Rep. Matt Gaetz, who was named by Weatherford to lead a committee to examine it — crowed after Judd's declaration: "I think [sheriffs] recognize that Florida is a safer place when our citizens don't have a duty to retreat and run."

Except that Gaetz got the wrong impression. Gualtieri, among others, argues the law shouldn't cover scenarios "where you are the primary aggressor, or when you're using deadly force against somebody who is unarmed."

That's a reasonable check that state Sen. Chris Smith again is trying to cash. The Fort Lauderdale Democrat has introduced a measure to close the so-called "last man standing" loophole. Under his bill, individuals no longer could leave a safe position, confront someone and then claim self-defense. A Tampa Bay Times probe found that scenario played in nearly 33 percent of cases where defendants successfully invoked Stand Your Ground......

http://touch.sun-sentinel.com/#section/-1/art...

It's interesting to read the opposing forces at work -- one side proclaiming the SYG law is widely supported, nothing broken to fix, and then the other side.....

If in 33% of the cases that SYG was applied the killer provoked the confrontation then the "last man standing" loophole certainly needs to be closed down.
Huh

Faribault, MN

#34362 Sep 3, 2013
tired of silly wrote:
<quoted text>
So try to use SYG in court in that manner. You'll lose. Very few have SUCCESSFULLY used SYG as a defense. You're just an idiot, as was the thug Trayvon Martin, who got PRECISELY what he deserved. Mr. Zimmerman also got what he deserved, a "not guilty" verdict, and for the 18 billionth time, Mr. Zimmerman did not even USE SYG as a defense, his was a straight forward self-defense, and that was obvious from the minute of the incident. This waste of taxpayer dollars happened only because of a greedy sperm donor and incubator who used their spawn's corpse as an ATM, and the poverty pimps Sharpton/Jackson who used that same corpse as a way to get their extraordinarily ugly faces on TV.
Well when someone you love bumps into someone and gets killed make sure you support the killer.
Rambler

Red Deer, Canada

#34364 Sep 3, 2013
Senator proposes Neighborhood Watch changes

NEWS SERVICE OF FLORIDA

Senate Minority Leader Chris Smith, D-Fort Lauderdale, has filed a measure that would prohibit neighborhood crime-watch participants from confronting or attempting to apprehend potentially questionable individuals.

The bill (SB 122) also would prohibit people from using the state’s controversial “stand your ground” law as a defense if they leave places of safety to initiate confrontations. It also would require law enforcement to issue reasonable guidelines for the operation of neighborhood crime-watch programs.

<snip>

While Zimmerman’s attorney didn’t raise the stand-your-ground law as a defense, the jury instructions advised that Zimmerman could be acquitted if jurors deemed he wasn’t engaged in an unlawful activity as “he had no duty to retreat and had the right to stand his ground and meet force with force.”

http://flcourier.com/2013/08/29/senator-propo...

I'd be curious to know how many SYG cases involved people identifying themselves as "neighbourhood crime-watch participants".
Rambler

Red Deer, Canada

#34366 Sep 3, 2013
Huh wrote:
<quoted text>
Well when someone you love bumps into someone and gets killed make sure you support the killer.
This is an interesting SYG case from Alabama -- the appellant court reversed a murder conviction. The victim was unarmed, for some bizarre reason the defendant tossed out "a stick" which then resulted in him getting hit with the stick and as he feared for his life, that gave him the legal right to Stand His Ground and shoot him. It's not clear if either of the two were lawfully at the location where the incident took place, but the appellant court didn't care.
http://blog.al.com/breaking/2013/08/limestone...

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Orlando Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 21 min Time again 1,374,907
CASEY: Does the State Have the Goods to Convict? (Mar '10) 1 hr Murphey_Law 513,039
News Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds ... (Dec '08) 2 hr Talkin To The Zealot 58,857
News Two DeLand middle schools on lockdown (Mar '09) 5 hr DWB 7
Change one letter game (Sep '11) 6 hr Princess Hey 3,037
Double Fun Word Game (Mar '11) 6 hr Princess Hey 13,038
last post wins! (Jul '11) 6 hr Princess Hey 5,937
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Orlando Mortgages