Call for arrest of watch captain who ...

Call for arrest of watch captain who shot kid

There are 29780 comments on the New York Daily News story from Mar 19, 2012, titled Call for arrest of watch captain who shot kid. In it, New York Daily News reports that:

ORLANDO, Fla. -- College students around Florida rallied Monday to demand the arrest of a white neighborhood watch captain who shot an unarmed black teen last month, though authorities may be hamstrung by a state law that allows people to defend themselves with deadly force.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at New York Daily News.

Rambler

Red Deer, Canada

#32663 Aug 1, 2013
* transmits
Rambler

Red Deer, Canada

#32664 Aug 1, 2013
wisdom usedhere wrote:
<quoted text> My My What a mouth, I hope you're not a female!
And a Very Important lady who is a well-respected professional, a middle manager. No wonder she thinks her employees are boring........they probably aren't interested in poop talk.

http://www.topix.com/forum/city/orlando-fl/TL...
Rambler

Red Deer, Canada

#32665 Aug 1, 2013
Go Blue Forever wrote:
<quoted text>Don't be such a bore....look at a larger SE Map and see how'd you get to Texas from Florida?.....
The story goes he was westbound on hwy 80 when he was stopped by Forney police, not I-10.

Go Blue Forever wrote:
<quoted text>I would almost expect, George was on I-10...which is watched closely by law enforcement for drug shipments, coast to coast....

“always”

Level 5

Since: May 12

Ticklaw

#32666 Aug 1, 2013
Rambler wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh I see. And Officer holds a mic which transits voices to the webcam installed in the police cruiser, is that how it goes?
But that still does not explain why the officer would overstate a different answer from GZ to "Nowhere in particular" that was thrown on the cutting room floor, if that's what you're trying to suggest.
You heard the officer's response to what George said, that's it.

George might have said, "just out for a drive" or simply smiled at the guy. It doesn't matter what George said does it?

After a wiff and a peek the officer sent George along no harm no foul, kinda like Chief Billy Lee did.
Voice of Reality

Petersburg, VA

#32667 Aug 1, 2013
ngrace wrote:
<quoted text>
You missed the entire point.
Cops don't know, without running a check, if you are a fugitive. Therefore, no cop in his right mind would leave a 'suspect' alone in his own vehicle, with keys in the ignition and a presumed loaded gun, while he (the cop) walked back to his cruiser to check for any outstanding warrants.
Not unless he's a real dumb cop.
It doesn't take a rocket scientist to understand why he wouldn't do this.
And, cops do need a reason to pull someone over...even in Texas. The story line is (in one of the numerous media reports), the cop had a "suspicion" that the subject was speeding. My point was/is, how can a cop "suspect" someone of speeding when either they were or they weren't?
As to feeling safe shopping in Sanford again, sorry but you're wrong on that, too. Numerous merchants and big ticket vendors will tell you they're feeling the after effects of the GZ fallout in Sanford. Hence the launch of the "I Love Sanford" campaign ad. Nice but it won't bring business back until people feel the area is safe again. If Zimmerman really was in Texas, that would be a good start. Coincidence? roflmao
As to my use of stamps, dream on.
OK, a couple of points for you to think about,(1) What would be the probable cause for the police officer to remove either the keys or the legal gun from the possession of Zimmerman without any basis for believing that Zimmerman was not either a wanted person or that he made overt acts causing the officer to feel danger to his person?

As for your speeding, it is well known in the legal community that police officers allow for a certain amount of miles per hour over the speed limit before they write a ticket. Most officers use the 10 over as a reference I have known some who will give 15 in some areas. I have also known some who will give as little as 5. On a personal basis I always set the speed control for about 7 over. These cops who allow this percentage might stop somebody who is on the verge of being out of tolerance with the idea of giving a verbal warning unless the driver acts in a negative or abusive way. This is a fact of life in the life of a traffic cop.

I make about 10 to 12 trips to Broward County a year and I will make a special effort to support those who do business in the Sanford Area. The one thing I hate as much as anything is the boycott blackmail that certain groups attempt to use when they do not get their way.
Wintergirl

Spring, TX

#32668 Aug 1, 2013
RuffnReddy wrote:
<quoted text>He was not on I-10 when stopped but obviously had driven I-10 to get to Texas.
He was near Dallas, the route # can be seen in the video.
I think that he's there for a TV interview.
Stay tuned.
If he had been on I-10, he would have been going the Southern route. He would have gone through Houston, San Antonio and hopefully would have kept going.

Level 3

Since: Aug 11

topic

#32669 Aug 1, 2013
Rambler wrote:
<quoted text>
And a Very Important lady who is a well-respected professional, a middle manager. No wonder she thinks her employees are boring........they probably aren't interested in poop talk.
http://www.topix.com/forum/city/orlando-fl/TL...
YUCK! and this is the one who has been flirting with me ?
Wintergirl

Spring, TX

#32670 Aug 1, 2013
RuffnReddy wrote:
<quoted text>You heard the officer's response to what George said, that's it.
George might have said, "just out for a drive" or simply smiled at the guy. It doesn't matter what George said does it?
After a wiff and a peek the officer sent George along no harm no foul, kinda like Chief Billy Lee did.
According to LE here, the purpose of engaging him in chit-chat is to make sure the driver is not
impaired. Driving while obese is not considered impaired. It would probably take a keg to light
GZ's "fire"...If GZ permit/license was still good, the officer is not going to worry about the gun unless he's waving it around or pointing it at the officer.

It would be interesting to know if he was speeding intentionally in order to get stopped or if he just can't read the signs that tell him how fast he can drive. It never did say how fast he was driving.

If the officer recognized him, he still said Nuh-Hu or something like that.
Rambler

Red Deer, Canada

#32671 Aug 1, 2013
RuffnReddy wrote:
<quoted text>You heard the officer's response to what George said, that's it.
You'd still think so if he had told the police officer "I'm on my way to sell this gun in ________".
Rambler

Red Deer, Canada

#32672 Aug 1, 2013
Wintergirl wrote:
<quoted text>
If the officer recognized him, he still said Nuh-Hu or something like that.
It's too late to rewrite the storyline now.

Can't you ever be satisfied with what is, instead of wishing it was different?
xxxrayted

Brook Park, OH

#32673 Aug 1, 2013
ngrace wrote:
<quoted text>
You missed the entire point.
Cops don't know, without running a check, if you are a fugitive. Therefore, no cop in his right mind would leave a 'suspect' alone in his own vehicle, with keys in the ignition and a presumed loaded gun, while he (the cop) walked back to his cruiser to check for any outstanding warrants.
Not unless he's a real dumb cop.
What police usually do is call in the license plate before or immediately after the stop. The officer then has the necessary information he needs before he gets out of the car. If you've ever been pulled over by a police officer, you would note he doesn't immediately jump out of his vehicle. He doesn't exit for a few minutes.

Level 7

Since: Feb 09

Location hidden

#32674 Aug 1, 2013
Rambler wrote:
<quoted text>
Last you heard? You're forgotten how to search public records or MarsMan's new computer won't let you google?
It's an expression, Rambler. Nothing more, nothing less.

As to whatever new notion you now have regarding Marce and her new computer and my connection to her, you are again wrong.

One of these days, maybe you'll accept the fact that I'm just me.
Rambler

Red Deer, Canada

#32675 Aug 1, 2013
Voice of Reality wrote:
<quoted text>
OK, a couple of points for you to think about,(1) What would be the probable cause for the police officer to remove either the keys or the legal gun from the possession of Zimmerman without any basis for believing that Zimmerman was not either a wanted person or that he made overt acts causing the officer to feel danger to his person?
I can only guess that ngracie is speaking from experience and what happens when she gets pulled over.

Before an officer gets out of his or her police car, they run a check on the licence plate number to determine if the registration is current, if the vehicle has been reported stolen and who the registered owner is, who in most cases will be the driver.

Therefore, since the officers is aware of the registerd owner information before he or she approaches that vehicle, that officer must have a pretty good idea who is going to be sitting behind the wheel before he asks to see a drivers licence. I would imagine that sort of preliminary information might influence the officer, if a decision was make to haul the driver into the cage in the back seat of the police car, but that's certainly not typical.....except apparently in ngracie's experiences.
Rambler

Red Deer, Canada

#32676 Aug 1, 2013
xxxrayted wrote:
<quoted text>
What police usually do is call in the license plate before or immediately after the stop. The officer then has the necessary information he needs before he gets out of the car. If you've ever been pulled over by a police officer, you would note he doesn't immediately jump out of his vehicle. He doesn't exit for a few minutes.
Most police cars are outfitted with an automated system.....I'd be surprised if any "call in" anymore. Maybe you've watched too many old movies?

Don't you remember, at OCSO it's called DAVID.
xxxrayted

Brook Park, OH

#32677 Aug 1, 2013
ngrace wrote:
<quoted text>
In any of the numerous traffic stops you've described, were you carrying a weapon?
And if so, did the cops walk away and leave you alone with said weapon while they ran your NCIC?
At least where I live, the first question from a police officer is "do you have any weapons on you today?" If you answer "yes" then they only tell you not to reach in the area of the weapon during the stop. In almost all cases, the officer is aware if the driver has a carry permit before he approaches the vehicle.
Rambler

Red Deer, Canada

#32678 Aug 1, 2013
ngrace wrote:
<quoted text>
It's an expression, Rambler. Nothing more, nothing less.
As to whatever new notion you now have regarding Marce and her new computer and my connection to her, you are again wrong.
One of these days, maybe you'll accept the fact that I'm just me.
Then what's happening with Shellie Zimmerman and the perjury charges?

And do you happen to remember anything significant about the name "Shellie" which was discussed in the past?

Level 7

Since: Feb 09

Location hidden

#32679 Aug 1, 2013
Rambler wrote:
<quoted text>
What would you suggest a cop do with one or more people in a vehicle while he or she proceeds to conduct a check on a driver's licence using technology installed in the police cruiser?
Make them lay face down on the highway?
It's my understanding that when a weapon is present during a routine stop, it is normal practice to have the 'suspect' exit the vehicle and be put in cuffs until a background check is run.

Common sense.
xxxrayted

Brook Park, OH

#32681 Aug 1, 2013
zazz wrote:
<quoted text>
She was his friend, not his girlfriend. Guess you're still having comprehension problems.
According to who? Her?

Oh yes, she has so much credibility.
xxxrayted

Brook Park, OH

#32682 Aug 1, 2013
Rambler wrote:
<quoted text>
Most police cars are outfitted with an automated system.....I'd be surprised if any "call in" anymore. Maybe you've watched too many old movies?
Don't you remember, at OCSO it's called DAVID.
No..... what I do is frequently listen to my police scanner; especially when they pull somebody over in front of my house. Dispatch immediately sends out a secondary unit unless the officer tells dispatch he doesn't need any backup.
Riverside

Riverside, CA

#32683 Aug 1, 2013
xxxrayted wrote:
<quoted text>
but Zimmerman was driving a brand new truck with just a temp in the window.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Orlando Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 2 hr Cheech the Conser... 1,497,479
News Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds ... (Dec '08) 4 hr Julia 63,346
Poll Child Protective Services Should Be SUED Along ... (Aug '12) 9 hr fightcps 36
Song Title Game (Apr '15) 13 hr Princess Hey 530
3 word game (Jan '11) 13 hr Princess Hey 14,142
"word game" six word sentence (last letters) 13 hr Princess Hey 80
New Game ***Last Word + 2 (Oct '11) 13 hr Princess Hey 12,840

Orlando Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Orlando Mortgages