Call for arrest of watch captain who shot kid

Mar 19, 2012 Full story: New York Daily News 29,885

ORLANDO, Fla. -- College students around Florida rallied Monday to demand the arrest of a white neighborhood watch captain who shot an unarmed black teen last month, though authorities may be hamstrung by a state law that allows people to defend themselves with deadly force.

Full Story
Rambler

Red Deer, Canada

#31041 Jul 20, 2013
RuffnReddy wrote:
<quoted text>He won't be Governor forever and by the way, the law can be amended in a way that makes it more sensible and affective.
Obviously the law failed George, LMAO.
It failed Chief Lee too.
The right of sell defense is separate to the SYG law.

Justifiable use of Force - Chapter 776 (Stand Your Ground)
http://www.leg.state.fl.us/statutes/index.cfm...

Chapter 782 - Homicide (Self-defence)
782.02&#8195;Justifiable use of deadly force.—The use of deadly force is justifiable when a person is resisting any attempt to murder such person or to commit any felony upon him or her or upon or in any dwelling house in which such person shall be.
http://www.leg.state.fl.us/Statutes/index.cfm...
Rambler

Red Deer, Canada

#31042 Jul 20, 2013
xxxrayted wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't, but you must.
Repealing or rescinding a law requirers those same legislators that pass laws to revoke them. How do you think that process works?
I have no idea and clearly you don't either. It's pointless to argue whether something will or won't happen in the future when you have no control over it, just because you don't want it to. It stands to reason "right now" nobody is in the position to revoke the legislation especially while the legislature is closed over the summer.

"The wheels of justice grind slowly but exceedingly fine."

Likewise, Governer Scot was quoted speaking before a group of young people referred to as Dream Defenders and it's highly likely when he used the reference of "right now" it was because they were unable to understand legal process, sort of like you.

"I also reminded them of their right to share their views with their state legislators and let them know their opinions on the law," Scott said in a statement released after the meeting.

According to the Dream Defenders' Twitter account, they were not satisfied with Scott's response and intend to remain at the Capitol until their demands are met."
Rambler

Red Deer, Canada

#31043 Jul 20, 2013
xxxrayted wrote:
<quoted text>
Similarly, respondents were asked to choose a statement from three which best described their view on Florida’s so-called “Stand Your Ground” law. 50% said the law is fine the way it is, while 31% of voters thought the law needed to be changed or limited, and just 13% thought that “Stand Your Ground” should be repealed entirely.
http://www.saintpetersblog.com/poll-majority-...
Are you seriously thinking these types of online surveys mean anything? Anyone past grade seven knows that organized groups instruct it's membership to answer online surveys, while the silent majority don't even know they exist.
Rambler

Red Deer, Canada

#31045 Jul 20, 2013
Dream Defenders » Be the Power
dreamdefenders.org/
Dream Defenders will bring social change by training and organizing youth and students in nonviolent civil disobedience, civic engagement, and direct action ...

Are these protestors even old enough to vote? Sounds like they're enjoying a weekend camping experience...... If they want to be taken seriously a name like "Dream Defenders" is not going to make it happen.

News > Crime news
Fla. protesters upset with verdict staying put
| July 19, 2013 | Updated: July 19, 2013 6:21pm

When the doors to the Capitol were locked on Friday roughly 85 people gathered in the rotunda. The group brought in board games, pillows, blankets and food in anticipation of being there for the entire weekend.

A spokeswoman for the Florida Department of Law Enforcement said the agency had decided to allow the protesters to remain in the Capitol.

http://www.chron.com/news/crime/article/Fla-p...
Rambler

Red Deer, Canada

#31046 Jul 20, 2013
xxxrayted wrote:
<quoted text>
Trust me, I know way more about our legislative process than you do in Canada.
A politicians first priority is to get into or remain in office. HIs or her second priority is to keep his or her party in power. That's the way it works here.
In Ohio, our greatest advances in gun legislation took place with Republican legislatures and a Democrat Governor who gave no resistance whatsoever in signing all of our gun bills. Our politicians know where their bread is buttered. He was a terrible Governor in every other regard, but ran a close election against our now Governor, John Kasich.
US citizens want their guns, and Floridians want their SYG law. It's that simple. And no politician is going to go against the will of the people. Politicians pay close attention to polls.
The repeal, removal or watering down of the SYG in Florida is nothing more than wishful thinking. IT ISN'T GOING TO HAPPEN, so don't count your chickens.
I refuse to get into a childish debate over whether something I have no control over will happen. I c/p'd for you a half of dozen comments from people of influence indicating the law is not being used as it was intended. That should be an indication to you that ordinary law abiding citizens probably have no idea the SYG law can enable criminals to go scot free, and therefore at this point in time since focus is placed on the downside of the law, that's simply a starting point to what will occur in the future.

Is the reason you stand strongly behind SYG is that you support the rights of organized criminal activity?
Rambler

Red Deer, Canada

#31047 Jul 20, 2013
Your President raised a very interesting point......Would those of you who are adamently defending the SYG law still do so if TM had shot and killed GZ?

"And for those who -- who resist that idea, that we should think about something like these Stand Your Ground laws, I just ask people to consider, if Trayvon Martin was of age and armed, could he have stood his ground on that sidewalk? And do we actually think that he would have been justified in shooting Mr. Zimmerman, who had followed him in a car, because he felt threatened? And if the answer to that question is at least ambiguous, then it seems to me that we might want to examine those kinds of laws."
http://www.cnn.com/2013/07/19/politics/obama-...
Rambler

Red Deer, Canada

#31048 Jul 20, 2013
How about if you were unarmed (even if because your gun was still under your pillow where you sleep at night) and a criminal with a concealed gun dashes out from the bushes at a parking place somewhere, attempting to steal your car as you are about to open the door. You physically attempt to prevent him from grabbing your keys and a scuffle occurs.

Under the SYG law it seems you've given the car thief the legal right to shoot you because he has the right to determine the physical altercation threatened his well-being. Furthermore he can even claim YOU attacked him, since you're dead and deadmen can't speak, and a couple of his buddies who just happened to say they were standing nearby can vouch for him.

Is that the type of scenario SYG supporters are defending?

It seems this type of legislation encourages EVERYONE to carry concealed weapons. Yeehaw, the days of the Wild West!
Rambler

Red Deer, Canada

#31049 Jul 20, 2013
Away from the media maelstrom, America talks about the Zimmerman verdict
By Michael Pearson, CNN
updated 6:41 AM EDT, Sat July 20, 2013

<snip>

I have a friend who lives in Denver and I live in Seattle. My friend, Roger, is of Caucasian descent, I am of African-American. When the trial was aired, I didn't realize his view was strong for Zimmerman until there was a tense moment between us both on Facebook. I actually had to stop our conversation because it was getting weird.......<snip>...... .I posted the other day, "How does Florida convict a black woman for 20 years for shooting her gun in the air because her boyfriend was beating her, but Zimmerman kills a black boy and he is set free?" Still no response from my friend.
-- Howard Russell, Denver; African-American

http://www.cnn.com/2013/07/20/justice/zimmerm...
Rambler

Red Deer, Canada

#31050 Jul 20, 2013
The sliding scales of self-defense
By Tom Foreman, CNN
updated 11:01 PM EDT, Fri July 19, 2013

(CNN)-- To start with, Cordell Jude was hungry.

He was 22, the spring days were growing longer and the temperature in Phoenix had climbed to 80 degrees that Tuesday in April 2012.

It was not much cooler as the sun slipped behind the Sierra Estrella mountains, so shortly before 8 pm, Jude drove with his pregnant fianceé toward a suburban intersection crowded with fast-food restaurants, a Home Depot, a Starbucks, drug stores and gas stations.

Not far off, another man was headed the same way. Daniel Adkins was 29, older than Jude, but mentally disabled. His family described him as more like a 12- or 13-year-old. Adkins was walking his yellow Labrador retriever named Lady past a Taco Bell in the gathering evening, when he stepped around a blind corner and was nearly hit by Jude's vehicle.

Police say the two men exchanged angry words, the dispute rapidly escalated, and it ended when Jude pulled out a .40-caliber pistol and shot Adkins dead.

Jude, who was still in his car at the time of the shooting, told police it was self-defense, that Adkins had lunged at him with a bat of some kind. But investigators found no such weapon, and even if they had County Attorney Bill Montgomery says, "The threshold that people believe needs to be crossed when they brandish a weapon, never mind actually use it ... is a lot higher than what it actually is."

Jude is now charged with murder in that killing last year, and because he is black and Adkins was not, the case is drawing comparisons to the killing of Trayvon Martin by George Zimmerman.

Why the comparison? If Jude is convicted, some would argue there's racism in the justice system. In the Florida case, a black teen is killed and an Hispanic shooter is acquitted. In the other, a black man who claims self-defense faces prison time.

Unstable ground: The fine line between self-defense and murder

The key questions being asked by many: If Zimmerman was acquitted because he felt threatened, shouldn't Jude also walk? And if he doesn't, will his race and that of the victim have played a role?

The nation has a long history of self-defense laws. Almost every state allows some version of the "castle" defense, as in "a man's home is his castle." These laws generally allow people to defend themselves, their family and their property against anyone who intrudes upon their living space, with deadly force if necessary.

CNN legal analyst Mark NeJame says, "If you walk into my house uninvited, odds are you aren't going to be walking out. And most people support that. You're going to protect your home and your family, and there's very little argument about that."

It gets trickier when we start talking about so-called "stand your ground" laws which exist in more than 20 states.

Those laws extend the castle principle so that if you are legally in some place --a parking lot, a mall, a football stadium -- it becomes like your home. Accordingly, if someone attempts to attack you there, once again you are free to fight back and are under no compunction to attempt to avoid the conflict.

More
http://www.cnn.com/2013/07/19/us/zimmerman-se...

Level 5

Since: Feb 11

Location hidden

#31053 Jul 20, 2013
xxxrayted wrote:
<quoted text>
Living in a country that has (for the past couple of decades) been wrestling with gun issues,
Living in a country that has to put up with parasites like you who haven't lifted a finger for this country, like many, I don't think anyone who has done nothing except take has a right to even have an opinion.

Level 5

Location hidden

#31054 Jul 20, 2013
xxxrayted wrote:
<quoted text>
Living in a country that has (for the past couple of decades) been wrestling with gun issues, I can assure you that I've heard, debated, and read all the doom and gloom predictions of more lenient gun laws. And guess what? None of them came true.
Guess what?

32,000+ fatalities a year and increasing.

At the current rate, more people with die from firearms than motor vehicles in 2015.

There is a mass killing on average every two weeks.

Gun gnutters insist they need assault weapons to feel same and the rest of us have to put up with their fantasies at a cost of Columbine, Aurora, and Sandy Hook.

Go the *k up, you worthless freeloading lying parasite.

Level 5

Location hidden

#31055 Jul 20, 2013
xxxrayted wrote:
In general, these laws benefit 99% of us.
Made up numbers mean nothing, you worthless m/f c/s lying parasite.

Like the ten seconds you claimed your pedophile hero followed the Martin boy.
Rambler

Red Deer, Canada

#31057 Jul 20, 2013
barefoot2626 wrote:
<quoted text>
Made up numbers mean nothing, you worthless m/f c/s lying parasite.
Like the ten seconds you claimed your pedophile hero followed the Martin boy.
Still waiting for that HIDDEN LOCATION where to you, pedophilia is legal.

Or perhaps you're not old enough to understand the definition of the word?
Rambler

Red Deer, Canada

#31058 Jul 20, 2013
xxxrayted wrote:
<quoted text>
Living in a country that has (for the past couple of decades) been wrestling with gun issues, I can assure you that I've heard, debated, and read all the doom and gloom predictions of more lenient gun laws. And guess what? None of them came true.
When we passed our Castle Doctrine in Oho several years ago, the doom and gloomers stated that we would see all kinds of shootings because those who wanted to murder somebody simply had to lure them into their home. Never happened.........
Your state of Ohio does not presently have a SYG law....it's still pending.

Ohio House resurrects ‘stand your ground’ bid

Published: 7/20/2013 - Updated: 4 minutes ago

BY JENNIFER FEEHAN AND JIM PROVANCE
BLADE STAFF WRITERS

A bill pending in a legislative committee would make Ohio the latest state with a “stand-your-ground” law, even as rallies are planned in Toledo and across the nation today to protest last week’s acquittal of George Zimmerman in the death of Trayvon Martin.

Buried in House Bill 203, the latest effort to loosen restrictions on the carrying of concealed handguns, is a provision that would broaden Ohio law that presumes someone acted in self defense if he feels he or family members are in imminent danger and shoots an intruder in his home or car.

More
http://www.toledoblade.com/State/2013/07/20/O...

Level 5

Location hidden

#31060 Jul 20, 2013
Rambler wrote:
<quoted text>
Still waiting for that HIDDEN LOCATION where to you, pedophilia is legal.
I am not interested in responding to loaded questions and if you don't like Topix policy with regard to locations it displays, take it up with them but I expect they will laugh them selves silly knowing you use a proxy to post.

When someone brings up location in an international forum, we can all concede they be red herrings.
higgans

Marion, IN

#31061 Jul 20, 2013
ngrace wrote:
<quoted text>
Thanks for the links. I watched them but not sure what they mean. Did Tracy Martin mean that Trayvon had been sitting on the porch earlier in the day or did he mean Trayvon went home after being followed by Zimmerman and left again?
Or was this just a grieving father who was in shock and vocalizing a bunch of random/ unconnected thoughts trying to put the pieces together in his own mind?
I don't think it means much, though, or I would have expected O'Mara to bring it out during the trial to support his self defense theory that Trayvon hid in order to "attack" Zimmerman, OR, the State would have used it to support their theory that Trayvon was trying to lead his attacker away from knowing where he lived.
good lord, listen to YOUR logic: a 'scared boy' unable to plot an attack but mature enough to NOT want to let a 'creepy-ass cracker'(maybe rapist, now!lol) follow him home.... even though in that dark passageway, NO ONE could see more than 5-10 feet! in front of themselves... and TM was a black person dressed in dark clothes!!

this is not a racial issue...

because...

maybe GZ followed TM AGAINST 'orders' until he 'caught ' him... EXCEPT Rachel said TM WENT BACK TO GZ.

maybe GZ 'attacked' TM first... EXCEPT there is NO physical/witness evidence to back THAT theory UP.

the scared, innocent boy was just 'going home' from a snack run... EXCEPT that when he had 2-4 MINUTES of UNOBSERVED TIME to GO HOME, he did NOT.

TM was an innocent boy not guilty of committing ANY crime... EXCEPT Attempted Murder in the mind of HIS intended victim, who shot him IN SELF-DEFENSE.

those are the FACTS the Trial just PROVED, by BOTH sides, and are NO LONGER in dispute.

and yet??????

“always”

Level 5

Since: May 12

Ticklaw

#31062 Jul 20, 2013
Rambler wrote:
<quoted text>
The right of sell defense is separate to the SYG law.
Justifiable use of Force - Chapter 776 (Stand Your Ground)
http://www.leg.state.fl.us/statutes/index.cfm...
Chapter 782 - Homicide (Self-defence)
782.02&#8195;Justifiable use of deadly force.—The use of deadly force is justifiable when a person is resisting any attempt to murder such person or to commit any felony upon him or her or upon or in any dwelling house in which such person shall be.
http://www.leg.state.fl.us/Statutes/index.cfm...
I was speaking to SYG failing George.

Apparently you were still jerkin to jodie when De La Rionda dared O'Mara to request a SYG hearing in order that George would have to testify before a judge and stand a rigorous cross examination.
higgans

Marion, IN

#31063 Jul 20, 2013
RuffnReddy wrote:
<quoted text>Osterman sat quietly in the SPD waiting room while George was interviewed by a lady who didn't know where The Retreat was at and had to use google earth to quiz George. No one at Sanford PD had a clue that a former Seminole County Deputy and current Federal Air Marshal was in the house? No one talked to him or cleared him as he entered the building while armed?
George didn't need to know sht about SYG or self defense so long as his pal Mark and he could sit down and craft a story that would pass legal muster. The guy and his wife wrote a book about Georgie...you can buy and read it. The guy and his wife appeared on Dr. Phil and told a different story than O'Mara offered during the trial and then got snotty with Trayvon's so called aunt.
How did the confrontation ignite into fisticuffs and wrestling around on the ground? That question was never answered...O'Mara, in closing explained that "somehow" the confrontation ended thirty feet from where it began. Where George said it began? George was walking back to his truck when attacked yet the contents of George's pockets began to spill out twenty feet away?
George was searching for the hooded stranger, found him and then at loss at what to do. He reached in his pocket for his phone.
Try that with a cop and see what happens.
A real thug would have sent George to ORMC on a helicopter...if the EMT's could have revived him.
EXCEPT a REAL thug WANNABE was trying his level best to do just exactly that.

isn't it ironic that most REAL thugs routinely attack the young, the elderly, the unawares and THE UNARMED.

"Oops!" may have been TM's last thought before the shot.

ya' think?

according to GZ, even TM new the TRUTH, "You got ME...".
Responsibility

Petaluma, CA

#31064 Jul 20, 2013
higgans wrote:
<quoted text>
TM was an innocent boy not guilty of committing ANY crime...
Unless it is a crime to be concerned about the motives of a man creepy crawling after him as he talks and walks on a street at seven in the evening.

“always”

Level 5

Since: May 12

Ticklaw

#31065 Jul 20, 2013
xxxrayted wrote:
<quoted text>
For all we know, Martin could have been hiding at an angle where he could watch Zimmerman for a while.
Or behind one of those 18" tall bushes lol.

George stated to police that he never made any attempt to communicate with the stranger, that the stranger spoke first.

George stated to police that as he was reaching into his jacket pocket the stranger popped him on the nose.

Are you saying that Trayvon was somehow supposed to know what Zimmerman was reaching for?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Orlando Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 10 min Incognito4Ever 1,155,823
Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds ... (Dec '08) 1 hr IBdaMann 49,319
Missing 5-year-old Florida girl likely was abdu... (Feb '09) 4 hr Anne 96,700
Florida clerks won't give gays marriage licenses 11 hr NorCal Native 21
CASEY: Does the State Have the Goods to Convict? (Mar '10) 12 hr H A N S 490,363
Puerto Rico Sucks (Jun '08) 13 hr US Citizen 1,303
Christmas lights? 17 hr Jaimee 1
Orlando Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web

Orlando People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Orlando News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Orlando

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]

NFL Latest News