Call for arrest of watch captain who shot kid

Mar 19, 2012 Full story: New York Daily News 29,885

ORLANDO, Fla. -- College students around Florida rallied Monday to demand the arrest of a white neighborhood watch captain who shot an unarmed black teen last month, though authorities may be hamstrung by a state law that allows people to defend themselves with deadly force.

Full Story

“LEST WE FORGET...”

Since: Apr 09

MT DORA FL

#31010 Jul 19, 2013
Rambler wrote:
Holder wades deeper into Zimmerman battle,
He called for a "hard look" at the laws. The crowd applauded as he said "we must stand our ground."
Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2013/07/16/ho...
Who did the crowd consist of...?
Rambler

Red Deer, Canada

#31013 Jul 19, 2013
NSBResident wrote:
<quoted text>
Smith and Thurston, two black elected officials from the Senate and the FL House of Reps.
Maybe they should work more toward putting a damper on violence against law abiding citizens, rather than taking the law abiding citizens right to defend themselves against criminals.
You mind explaining why "law abiding citizens" who have an opportunity to retreat and involve the authorities would prefer killing?
Rambler

Red Deer, Canada

#31015 Jul 19, 2013
xxxrayted wrote:
<quoted text>
Right here:
""I'm not going to call a special session," Scott told the protesters. "I don't believe right now that stand your ground should be changed."
I don't believe "right now".......what do the added words "right now" mean to you?

Sorry, I'm busy "right now".

No, you can't eat that cake "right now".

I'm too tired to cut the grass "right now".

It means to me "but later I will".

Word games!
Rambler

Red Deer, Canada

#31016 Jul 19, 2013
whataboutcaylee wrote:
<quoted text>
People?
Rambler

Red Deer, Canada

#31019 Jul 19, 2013
xxxrayted wrote:
<quoted text>
No.... it means blow off these a-holes for now. Let the dust settle and nobody will bring it up after that.
Legislation can do what they want, but it takes the Governors signature to put it into law which obviously isn't going to happen.
You live in Ohio, remember?

What happens in Florida will be decided in Florida, but politicians would certainly be interested in what their voters have to say. Laws which are inconsistently applied obviously are open to potential corruption as well.

"A Tampa Bay Times analysis of 200 "stand your ground" cases in Florida—the law was adopted there in 2005—found that the law has been inconsistently applied, with one man escaping homicide prosecution even though he left an altercation to get his gun from his car, returned and then shot the attacker."

http://news.yahoo.com/in-response-to-holder--...

“JUSTICE DENIED, AGAIN!!!”

Level 8

Since: Mar 10

Location hidden

#31020 Jul 19, 2013
xxxrayted wrote:
<quoted text>
No.... it means blow off these a-holes for now. Let the dust settle and nobody will bring it up after that.
Legislation can do what they want, but it takes the Governors signature to put it into law which obviously isn't going to happen.
Not true. Once again, you know nothing about Florida. Many, many bills become law without the governor's signature.
Level 6

Since: May 13

Location hidden

#31021 Jul 19, 2013
I did not see the video
NSBResident

New Smyrna Beach, FL

#31022 Jul 20, 2013
Rambler wrote:
<quoted text>
You mind explaining why "law abiding citizens" who have an opportunity to retreat and involve the authorities would prefer killing?
When their head is getting beat into the concrete and the next blow could render them unconscious or dead.

I know that some do not like the stand your ground law. However, why take laws away from law abiding citizens instead of the criminals? Statistics say that one in seventeen Florida residents have a conceal carry permit license, or about one million people. The number of questionable Stand Your Ground cases, compared to the number of conceal carry permit holders is very minimal. Of course the media is going to take those few and run with them right behind the race baiters that are trying to use Trayvon's death to abolish a law that most Floridians wanted and fought for.

I wonder how many criminals have conceal carry permits. I would venture to say that number is probably non-existent, or limited at best.
NSBResident

New Smyrna Beach, FL

#31023 Jul 20, 2013
xxxrayted wrote:
<quoted text>
Exactly. The NAACP has went home, Sharpton will soon follow. In a few years no one will remember who Trayvon Martin was. Sad but true. It always works that way. I would be amazed, if this one incident changed any laws. Most of the politicians that are calling for a change in the law are not even from Florida, neither are most of the people that are speaking out about it. If people don't like our laws, too bad, they don't have to live here.
NSBResident

New Smyrna Beach, FL

#31024 Jul 20, 2013
zazz wrote:
<quoted text>
Not true. Once again, you know nothing about Florida. Many, many bills become law without the governor's signature.
Some laws do, but I wouldn't call it many. It takes 2/3 vote to over ride the Governor, and I don't think that will happen with stand your ground. There are too many conceal carry permit holders in Florida for that to happen.
NSBResident

New Smyrna Beach, FL

#31025 Jul 20, 2013
whataboutcaylee wrote:
<quoted text>
He was speaking at the NAACP conference in Orlando.

My youngest son ask me why the black race is allowed a NAACP when he saw the conference on the news. He asked "Mom, isn't that racist?" I didn't really know how to answer that. Then his inquisitive mind included BET, Black History Month etc, and I told him that he had just opened a can of worms because I had no answers for him.

“always”

Level 5

Since: May 12

Ticklaw

#31026 Jul 20, 2013
NSBResident wrote:
<quoted text>
Hmm,, Obviously you can't read, or hear
Did you see them in Orlando? Those two have lied so much who knows where they were. Words out of both of their mouths said he was on the porch. There would be no reason for them to speak those words unless they saw him, or Brandi Green's son told them that Trayvon was just on the porch. Fits right in with that missing four minutes though.
It's a bogus theory, quite obviously the two had no clue what had happened yet and were just making guesses out of frustration. Tracy mentions both the back gate and the front gate as well, he hadn't learned about the shortcut yet, perhaps the cops hadn't figured that out either.

Why would Trayvon run home, presumably ditch the blunt and forget to ditch the 2lb can of tea? That idiotic story made it's rounds on the conspiracy sites that only fools read and only morons link.

One more time, according to George's own statements Trayvon never saw George outside the truck until just seconds before the confrontation. That means Trayvon had no clue as to George's size, physique etc. For all Trayvon knew George could have been 6'6" tall and armed with a machete and an uzi.

The title to your you tube video gives it away...you didn't tell me where you found it.

“always”

Level 5

Since: May 12

Ticklaw

#31027 Jul 20, 2013
NSBResident wrote:
<quoted text>
Some laws do, but I wouldn't call it many. It takes 2/3 vote to over ride the Governor, and I don't think that will happen with stand your ground. There are too many conceal carry permit holders in Florida for that to happen.
He won't be Governor forever and by the way, the law can be amended in a way that makes it more sensible and affective.

Obviously the law failed George, LMAO.

It failed Chief Lee too.
Willy Ayers

Aurora, OH

#31028 Jul 20, 2013
Rambler wrote:
<quoted text>
It's very interesting no rage is directed toward GZ's defense team but anyone else remotely connected is targeted.
Compare that to "Bozo" Jose Baez, who was vilified, ridiculed and equally hated for daring to defend Casey Anthony.
I always liked her music, especially "Joe Hill." We'd play that tune as we were wiring bombs together and smoking some blunts. Those were the good times....

Level 7

Since: Jan 12

Location hidden

#31029 Jul 20, 2013
Rambler wrote:
<quoted text>
Do you even know what SYG SAYS???? Do you know that the "duty to retreat" that idiots wish to return to law includes IN YOUR OWN HOME??? Hypothetical scenario: A young mom and her kids are at home. Kids are in bed sleeping. Husband is working. Some filthy Trayvon breaks into the house. WITHOUT SYG, mom is expected to flee into the street, leaving her sleeping children at the mercy of the Trayvon. WITH SYG, and assuming mom is smart enough to have a gun and know how to shoot it, she can shoot the filthy animal who broke into her home thereby protecting her children, herself and her property. That's only ONE scenario where shooting an animal is preferable to fleeing. The voters of Florida (and somewhere around 30 other states) have explicitly made their desire for SYG laws known in the voting booths. If the thug-supporters want a "review", fine. Put it back on the ballot. We'll vote it in AGAIN.

Level 7

Since: Oct 12

Location hidden

#31030 Jul 20, 2013
Tired of Silly, i fear that the thread is dying now.....See ya on another.....it was fun....
Rambler

Red Deer, Canada

#31033 Jul 20, 2013
xxxrayted wrote:
<quoted text>
The SYG Law is already on the books. Follow along.....discussion in the news is about it being revoked, not "put into law".

Florida 'stand your ground' law yields some shocking outcomes depending on how law is applied
By Kris Hundley, Susan Taylor Martin and Connie Humburg, Times Staff Writers
Friday, June 1, 2012 10:25am

Florida's "stand your ground'' law has allowed drug dealers to avoid murder charges and gang members to walk free. It has stymied prosecutors and confused judges.• It has also served its intended purpose, exonerating dozens of people who were deemed to be legitimately acting in self-defense. Among them: a woman who was choked and beaten by an irate tenant and a man who was threatened in his driveway by a felon.

<snip>

• A comprehensive analysis of "stand your ground" decisions is all but impossible. When police and prosecutors decide not to press charges, they don't always keep records showing how they reached their decisions. And no one keeps track of how many "stand your ground" motions have been filed or their outcomes.

Claiming "stand your ground,'' people have used force to meet force outside an ice cream parlor, on a racquetball court and at a school bus stop. Two-thirds of the defendants used guns, though weapons have included an ice pick, shovel and chair leg.

The oldest defendant was an 81-year-old man; the youngest, a 14-year-old Miami youth who shot someone trying to steal his Jet Ski.

Ed Griffith, a spokesman for the Miami-Dade State Attorney's Office, describes "stand your ground" as a "malleable" law being stretched to new limits daily.

"It's arising now in the oddest of places,'' he said.

That's unlikely to change any time soon, according to prosecutors and defense attorneys, who say the number and types of cases are sure to rise.

"If you're a defense counsel, you'd be crazy not to use it in any case where it could apply,'' said Zachary Weaver, a West Palm Beach lawyer. "With the more publicity the law gets, the more individuals will get off.''

More
http://www.tampabay.com/news/publicsafety/cri...
Rambler

Red Deer, Canada

#31036 Jul 20, 2013
Tired of Silly wrote:
<quoted text>
Do you even know what SYG SAYS???? Do you know that the "duty to retreat" that idiots wish to return to law includes IN YOUR OWN HOME??? Hypothetical scenario: A young mom and her kids are at home. Kids are in bed sleeping. Husband is working. Some filthy Trayvon breaks into the house. WITHOUT SYG, mom is expected to flee into the street, leaving her sleeping children at the mercy of the Trayvon. WITH SYG, and assuming mom is smart enough to have a gun and know how to shoot it, she can shoot the filthy animal who broke into her home thereby protecting her children, herself and her property. That's only ONE scenario where shooting an animal is preferable to fleeing. The voters of Florida (and somewhere around 30 other states) have explicitly made their desire for SYG laws known in the voting booths. If the thug-supporters want a "review", fine. Put it back on the ballot. We'll vote it in AGAIN.
• People often go free under "stand your ground" in cases that seem to make a mockery of what lawmakers intended. One man killed two unarmed people and walked out of jail. Another shot a man as he lay on the ground. Others went free after shooting their victims in the back. In nearly a third of the cases the Times analyzed, defendants initiated the fight, shot an unarmed person or pursued their victim — and still went free.

I wonder how many law abiding people realize the implications of this law? While the original intentions may have been good, it sounds like it's become an organized criminals "do not go to jail" card against a defenceless, unsuspecting victim.

You might be suprised to learn most law abiding citizens do not endorse legislation which enables organized crime to flourish.
Rambler

Red Deer, Canada

#31037 Jul 20, 2013
xxxrayted wrote:
<quoted text>
They do? Then by all means, please post a link to the last legislation that was passed against the will of the Governor. If you bothered to click the link I posted, the story explained how the legislatures in Florida are both Republican majority. Don't expect those Republicans to go against the Governor anytime soon.
Psssstttt.........Revoking or repealing a certain law means the OPPOSITE of "passed into legislation"!

Do you have a sort of backward comprehension problem?
Rambler

Red Deer, Canada

#31038 Jul 20, 2013
"Now it's lawful to stand there like Matt Dillon at high noon, pull the gun and shoot back,'' said Bob Dekle, a University of Florida law professor and former prosecutor in North Florida.

Durell Peaden, the former Republican senator from Crestview who sponsored the bill, said the law was never intended for people who put themselves in harm's way before they started firing. But the criminal justice system has been blind to that intent.

The new law only requires law enforcement and the justice system to ask three questions in self-defense cases: Did the defendant have the right to be there? Was he engaged in a lawful activity? Could he reasonably have been in fear of death or great bodily harm?

Without convincing evidence to the contrary, "stand your ground'' protection prevails.

If prosecutors press charges, any defendant claiming self-defense is now entitled to a hearing before a judge. At the immunity hearing, a judge must decide based on the "preponderance of the evidence" whether to grant immunity. That's a far lower burden than "beyond a reasonable doubt," the threshold prosecutors must meet at trial.

"It's a very low standard to prove preponderance," said Weaver, the West Palm Beach lawyer. "If 51 percent of the evidence supports your claim, you get off."

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Orlando Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds ... (Dec '08) 1 hr Earthling-1 48,398
Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 3 hr ben 1,141,668
CASEY: Does the State Have the Goods to Convict? (Mar '10) 3 hr EXECUTE KID KILLE... 489,525
Jodi Arias: Does the state have the goods to co... (Mar '13) 5 hr EXECUTE KID KILLE... 26,115
The alphabet (Jun '06) 8 hr Princess Hey 1,149
5000 post wins (Feb '13) 8 hr Princess Hey 4,295
Change one letter game (Sep '11) 8 hr Princess Hey 2,592
Orlando Dating
Find my Match

Orlando People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Orlando News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Orlando

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]

NFL Latest News

Updated 9:34 pm PST

Bleacher Report 9:34PM
Complete Preview for Bucs vs. Bears
Bleacher Report10:19 PM
What Are Experts Saying About Indianapolis?
Bleacher Report11:53 AM
Lavonte David (Hamstring) Questionable for Sunday
Bleacher Report12:06 PM
Bucs' Verner Optimistic About Playing in Week 12
Bleacher Report 1:17 PM
Blake Bortles Reportedly Broke Up with Girlfriend Lindsey Duke