Call for arrest of watch captain who shot kid

Mar 19, 2012 Full story: New York Daily News 29,904

ORLANDO, Fla. -- College students around Florida rallied Monday to demand the arrest of a white neighborhood watch captain who shot an unarmed black teen last month, though authorities may be hamstrung by a state law that allows people to defend themselves with deadly force.

Full Story
Rambler

Red Deer, Canada

#30952 Jul 19, 2013
OT

Photos of Dzhokhar Tsarnaev released after Rolling Stone complaints
By Matt Smith, CNN
updated 10:19 AM EDT, Fri July 19, 2013

(CNN)-- The backlash over Rolling Stone's cover photo of Boston Marathon bombing suspect Dzhokhar Tsarnaev led to the release of new photos of his capture Thursday, images a police photographer said show "the real Boston bomber."

More:
http://www.cnn.com/2013/07/18/us/massachusett...

Interesting how the image of the bomber's face on this just in report has been age enhanced toward an even more recognizable likeness of a well-known federal politician in Canadian.
Rambler

Red Deer, Canada

#30953 Jul 19, 2013
* in CANADA.
Rambler

Red Deer, Canada

#30954 Jul 19, 2013
Anybody thinking about all the recent events involving TERRORISM, explaining it off to "self-radicalized nutcases", yet the media is mostly fixated on a trial that's already concluded about an isolated incident involving a shooting by one neighbourhood watch guy of one teenager, along with a media created sideshow by a parade of people connected to the case including one named B-37?

"Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people."

- Eleanor Roosevelt
Rambler

Red Deer, Canada

#30958 Jul 19, 2013
It doesn't take a stretch of the imagination to relate the White Supremist "Light against Darkness" movement to 1984 and this:

The Place Where There Is No Darkness

Throughout the novel Winston imagines meeting O’Brien in “the place where there is no darkness.” The words first come to him in a dream, and he ponders them for the rest of the novel. Eventually, Winston does meet O’Brien in the place where there is no darkness; instead of being the paradise Winston imagined, it is merely a prison cell in which the light is never turned off. The idea of “the place where there is no darkness” symbolizes Winston’s approach to the future: possibly because of his intense fatalism (he believes that he is doomed no matter what he does), he unwisely allows himself to trust O’Brien, even though inwardly he senses that O’Brien might be a Party operative.
http://www.sparknotes.com/lit/1984/themes.htm...
Rambler

Red Deer, Canada

#30963 Jul 19, 2013
Doublethink

The idea of “doublethink” emerges as an important consequence of the Party’s massive campaign of large-scale psychological manipulation. Simply put, doublethink is the ability to hold two contradictory ideas in one’s mind at the same time. As the Party’s mind-control techniques break down an individual’s capacity for independent thought, it becomes possible for that individual to believe anything that the Party tells them, even while possessing information that runs counter to what they are being told.
http://www.sparknotes.com/lit/1984/themes.htm...

During the televised George Zimmerman trial anyone even semi-computer literate had the opportunity to view Judge Debra Steinberg Nelson's online docket, revealing a vast array of scheduled CIVIL court proceedings having absolutely no bearing to her presiding over George Zimmerman's televised criminal trial.

18th Judicial Circuit Court
http://www.flcourts18.org/page.php...

But if the media is covering the televised trial, we MUST BELIEVE it is so, and totally ignore a published court docket which clashes with reality!

Yet you are the same people who screech at the government intruding on your rights to privacy in the pursuit of protecting the country against TERRORISM, because you say that is proof it is moving toward a communist, totalitarian state........but yet you're too stupid to recognize a reality show when that proof is there, and instead you dive into it like starving little rats! LOL
Rambler

Red Deer, Canada

#30970 Jul 19, 2013
This ought to be good......wait and watch for the Stand Your Ground gun-lobbyists and victim's rights groups join forces in rage over the injustice shown towards this Police Sgt.

Mass. State Police Sgt. Sean Murphy Relieved of Duty
The status of his duty will be reviewed next week.

By John Wolfson | Boston Daily | July 18, 2013 8:55 pm

Massachusetts State Police Sgt. Sean Murphy has been relieved of duty, just a few hours after the 25-year veteran of the Massachusetts State Police gave Boston magazine hundreds of photographs that he took from behind the scenes of the manhunt for Dzhokhar Tsarnaev. Though he’s been relieved of duty, Murphy has not been fired. The status of his duty is to be reviewed next week.

Two lieutenants in an unmarked cruiser and a sergeant in a marked cruiser arrived at Murphy’s home about 7:40 tonight and, during about 20 minutes at his home, took the following: his gun, badge, ammunition, handcuffs, baton, bulletproof vest, cameras, police ID, license to fire arms, pepper spray, cellphone and computer. Murphy was also ordered not to speak to the press or discuss the capture of Tsarnaev with anyone else.

Murphy turned over the images to us because he was upset with the cover of Rolling Stone magazine, which he feels glamorizes Tsarnaev. He wanted people to see what he feels is more accurate portrait of a terrorist.

“As a professional law-enforcement officer of 25 years, I believe that the image that was portrayed by Rolling Stone magazine was an insult to any person who has every worn a uniform of any color or any police organization or military branch, and the family members who have ever lost a loved one serving in the line of duty,” he said.“The truth is that glamorizing the face of terror is not just insulting to the family members of those killed in the line of duty, it also could be an incentive to those who may be unstable to do something to get their face on the cover of Rolling Stone magazine.

“I hope that the people who see these images will know that this was real. It was as real as it gets. This may have played out as a television show, but this was not a television show. Officer Dick Donohue almost gave his life. Officer Sean Collier did give his life. These were real people, with real lives, with real families. And to have this cover dropped into Boston was hurtful to their memories and their families. I know from first-hand conversations that this Rolling Stone cover has kept many of them up—again. It’s irritated the wounds that will never heal—again. There is nothing glamorous in bringing more pain to a grieving family.”

http://www.bostonmagazine.com/news/blog/2013/...
Rambler

Red Deer, Canada

#30974 Jul 19, 2013
Is this Police Sgt Sean Murphy?

http://bostonherald.com/sites/default/files/m...

It's hard to tell, but possibly racial discrimination was the motivator behind the vicious decision that striped Sgt Murphy of the ordinary rights of any good citizen.

Has a change.org petition been established to speak out against this atrocity, the grave injustice shown toward this heroic man?

Level 7

Since: Feb 09

Location hidden

#30976 Jul 19, 2013
zazz wrote:
<quoted text>
Very good points and questions.
Wish some of the racist haters on here had the ability to be as analytical as you are. But, alas they ignore everything that doesn't lead to the conclusion they like. In fact, they make it up when they "think" it's necessary to further their hate agenda.
Some people just want to get to the truth, while others seem to have other agendas, so I do agree with you.

Unlike the Casey case, where the discovery docs were posted for all to read, this case left many questions unanswered that need to be addressed.

jmo

Level 7

Location hidden

#30978 Jul 19, 2013
NSBResident wrote:
<quoted text>
Fox interview begins at 1:24
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =jIbHdS5OG6AXX
And a month later
http://www.youtube.com/watch...
Thanks for the links. I watched them but not sure what they mean. Did Tracy Martin mean that Trayvon had been sitting on the porch earlier in the day or did he mean Trayvon went home after being followed by Zimmerman and left again?

Or was this just a grieving father who was in shock and vocalizing a bunch of random/ unconnected thoughts trying to put the pieces together in his own mind?

I don't think it means much, though, or I would have expected O'Mara to bring it out during the trial to support his self defense theory that Trayvon hid in order to "attack" Zimmerman, OR, the State would have used it to support their theory that Trayvon was trying to lead his attacker away from knowing where he lived.
Rambler

Red Deer, Canada

#30979 Jul 19, 2013
ngrace wrote:
<quoted text>
Some people just want to get to the truth, while others seem to have other agendas, so I do agree with you.
Unlike the Casey case, where the discovery docs were posted for all to read, this case left many questions unanswered that need to be addressed.
jmo
"This case left many unsanswered questions that need to be addressed".....

Yes, listen to the comments of your President and ask yourself what is causing racism to exist in the USA?

http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com/2013/07/...
Rambler

Red Deer, Canada

#30980 Jul 19, 2013
ngrace wrote:
<quoted text>
Thanks for the links. I watched them but not sure what they mean. Did Tracy Martin mean that Trayvon had been sitting on the porch earlier in the day or did he mean Trayvon went home after being followed by Zimmerman and left again?
Or was this just a grieving father who was in shock and vocalizing a bunch of random/ unconnected thoughts trying to put the pieces together in his own mind?
I don't think it means much, though, or I would have expected O'Mara to bring it out during the trial to support his self defense theory that Trayvon hid in order to "attack" Zimmerman, OR, the State would have used it to support their theory that Trayvon was trying to lead his attacker away from knowing where he lived.
Is the trial over yet?

Level 7

Location hidden

#30981 Jul 19, 2013
zazz wrote:
<quoted text>
I assume this is the same George Zimmerman who lied and said he was not familiar with the self defense and stand your ground laws.
Oh, I know it's perfectly OK when he lies, breaks laws, murders unarmed children so don't bother.
I think the fact that Zimmerman knew exactly what to say about claiming self defense goes to prove his story was tailored exactly as required.

Even Serino "prompted" him on what he needed to say.

And the jurors never appeared to take this into consideration when the State in closing arguments asked the key question, "Why did he have to lie?"

I can only conclude one of two things about the juror's decision....either they just weren't smart enough to put the pieces together, or, they had a "high pressure" juror with an agenda who wore down the others. On Saturday night, when it was announced the jurors had ordered dinner and continued to deliberate well into the evening, I thought it indicated the latter.

I could visualize my own mother giving in to pressure, especially when she was tired, but I never thought it would mean a not guilty verdict would be forthcoming up until just before the verdict was read, in what had to be the swiftest announcement I've ever seen in any high profile trial.

I still would like to ask those 6 ladies how it was possible (in their minds) for Zimmerman to reach his gun, as clearly, that wasn't possible based upon his own account.
Rambler

Red Deer, Canada

#30982 Jul 19, 2013
ngrace wrote:
<quoted text>
Of course PORCH means nothing because whatever happened was god's plan!
Rambler

Red Deer, Canada

#30983 Jul 19, 2013
ngrace wrote:
<quoted text>
I think the fact that Zimmerman knew exactly what to say about claiming self defense goes to prove his story was tailored exactly as required.
And the jurors never appeared to take this into consideration when the State in closing arguments asked the key question, "Why did he have to lie?"
I can only conclude one of two things about the juror's decision....either they just weren't smart enough to put the pieces together, or, they had a "high pressure" juror with an agenda who wore down the others. On Saturday night, when it was announced the jurors had ordered dinner and continued to deliberate well into the evening, I thought it indicated the latter.
I could visualize my own mother giving in to pressure, especially when she was tired, but I never thought it would mean a not guilty verdict would be forthcoming up until just before the verdict was read, in what had to be the swiftest announcement I've ever seen in any high profile trial.
I still would like to ask those 6 ladies how it was possible (in their minds) for Zimmerman to reach his gun, as clearly, that wasn't possible based upon his own account.
Accept the fact you're not going to be talking to those six ladies because they are not required to discuss their verdict with anyone, let alone sanctimonious you.

You wanted "the people" to decide whether or not GZ was guilty and they did. The public topic arising from this case has now moved forward to the larger picture to the issue of Stand Your Ground Laws and racism in general. Just give it time and I'll bet that White Supremacy terrorist groups become drawn into this same discussion.

“always”

Level 5

Since: May 12

Ticklaw

#30984 Jul 19, 2013
ngrace wrote:
<quoted text>
Osterman sat quietly in the SPD waiting room while George was interviewed by a lady who didn't know where The Retreat was at and had to use google earth to quiz George. No one at Sanford PD had a clue that a former Seminole County Deputy and current Federal Air Marshal was in the house? No one talked to him or cleared him as he entered the building while armed?

George didn't need to know sht about SYG or self defense so long as his pal Mark and he could sit down and craft a story that would pass legal muster. The guy and his wife wrote a book about Georgie...you can buy and read it. The guy and his wife appeared on Dr. Phil and told a different story than O'Mara offered during the trial and then got snotty with Trayvon's so called aunt.

How did the confrontation ignite into fisticuffs and wrestling around on the ground? That question was never answered...O'Mara, in closing explained that "somehow" the confrontation ended thirty feet from where it began. Where George said it began? George was walking back to his truck when attacked yet the contents of George's pockets began to spill out twenty feet away?

George was searching for the hooded stranger, found him and then at loss at what to do. He reached in his pocket for his phone.

Try that with a cop and see what happens.

A real thug would have sent George to ORMC on a helicopter...if the EMT's could have revived him.

Level 7

Location hidden

#30985 Jul 19, 2013
RuffnReddy wrote:
<quoted text>Osterman sat quietly in the SPD waiting room while George was interviewed by a lady who didn't know where The Retreat was at and had to use google earth to quiz George. No one at Sanford PD had a clue that a former Seminole County Deputy and current Federal Air Marshal was in the house? No one talked to him or cleared him as he entered the building while armed?
George didn't need to know sht about SYG or self defense so long as his pal Mark and he could sit down and craft a story that would pass legal muster. The guy and his wife wrote a book about Georgie...you can buy and read it. The guy and his wife appeared on Dr. Phil and told a different story than O'Mara offered during the trial and then got snotty with Trayvon's so called aunt.
How did the confrontation ignite into fisticuffs and wrestling around on the ground? That question was never answered...O'Mara, in closing explained that "somehow" the confrontation ended thirty feet from where it began. Where George said it began? George was walking back to his truck when attacked yet the contents of George's pockets began to spill out twenty feet away?
George was searching for the hooded stranger, found him and then at loss at what to do. He reached in his pocket for his phone.
Try that with a cop and see what happens.
A real thug would have sent George to ORMC on a helicopter...if the EMT's could have revived him.

So much we don't know, yet so much we can clearly see that doesn't add up, from the little we do know.

Excellent post.

President O'Bama: "Now, the question, for me, at least, and - and I think for a lot of folks is, "Where do we take this? How - how do we learn some lessons from this and move in a positive direction?"

I think his questions make it abundantly clear that the only way to take this is by re-examining all the evidence and allowing the public to see ALL of the pieces and ALL of the issues surrounding the death of this kid.

Only then will his death be "part of God's plan" because good always come from bad.
Rambler

Red Deer, Canada

#30989 Jul 19, 2013
ngrace wrote:
<quoted text>
So much we don't know, yet so much we can clearly see that doesn't add up, from the little we do know.
Excellent post.
President O'Bama: "Now, the question, for me, at least, and - and I think for a lot of folks is, "Where do we take this? How - how do we learn some lessons from this and move in a positive direction?"
I think his questions make it abundantly clear that the only way to take this is by re-examining all the evidence and allowing the public to see ALL of the pieces and ALL of the issues surrounding the death of this kid.
Only then will his death be "part of God's plan" because good always come from bad.
You missed this part....

"The judge conducted the trial in a professional manner. The prosecution and the defense made their arguments. The juries (sic) were properly instructed that in a -- in a case such as this, reasonable doubt was relevant. And they rendered a verdict.

And once the jury's spoken, that's how our system works."

http://www.cnn.com/2013/07/19/politics/obama-...

Translation - case closed!

President Obama then goes on to say:

"That doesn't mean, though, that as a nation, we can't do some things that I think would be productive. So let me just give a couple of specifics that I'm still bouncing around with my staff, you know, so we're not rolling out some five-point plan, but some areas where I think all of us could potentially focus."

Where is it you see "reexamining all the evidence" listed......or for that matter "math lessons" to help you learn to add things up?

Nowhere -- only in your fantasy life!
Rambler

Red Deer, Canada

#30993 Jul 19, 2013
xxxrayted wrote:
<quoted text>
Nobody is reviewing anything. Most citizens that live in Florida are behind the SYG law even as this case moved forward. They already announced that the SYG law in Florida is there to stay..
Any idea who is THEY already have announced that the SYD law in Florida in there to stay, because from everything I've read the debate is only beginning. And what difference does it make to anyone but the violent, bottomfeeders of society since the right of self-defense is written into laws elsewhere.

"Ashton also does not believe the Trayvon Martin killing was a classic case for Florida’s controversial "stand your ground" law because Zimmerman was in a physical fight with Martin when the trigger was pulled.He does think the law should be revisited, particularly to restore the provision that a person has an obligation to retreat before using deadly force.

"It's not being used by innocent victims who are faced with violence, it's more frequently being used, as I think I've said before, by people who are intent on resolving their differences with violence. And it needs to be reconsidered,” he said."
http://m.wesh.com/news/state-attorney-jeff-as...
Rambler

Red Deer, Canada

#30994 Jul 19, 2013
Senate panel to review 'stand your ground' laws
Catalina Camia, USA TODAY 2:33 p.m. EDT July 19, 2013

WASHINGTON — A key U.S. senator said Friday he will hold a hearing this fall on the self-defense laws known as "stand your ground."

Sen. Dick Durbin of Illinois, the assistant Democratic leader, will conduct the hearing before the Senate Judiciary Committee panel on civil rights that he chairs. Details on who will testify and the date of the hearing, likely to be held in September when senators get back from their summer recess, will be announced in the coming weeks.

The announcement came hours before President Obama made extraordinary comments Friday about unarmed Florida teenager Trayvon Martin, whose death last year captivated the nation and sparked a debate about race. A jury acquitted George Zimmerman, a neighborhood watch volunteer, of second-degree murder and manslaughter charges in Trayvon's death.
http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/politics/2...
Rambler

Red Deer, Canada

#30995 Jul 19, 2013
President Obama --

I know that there's been commentary about the fact that the "Stand Your Ground" laws in Florida were not used as a defense in the case.

On the other hand, if we're sending a message as a society in our communities that someone who is armed potentially has the right to use those firearms, even if there's a way for them to exit from a situation, is that really going to be contributing to the kind of peace and security and order that we'd like to see?

And for those who -- who resist that idea, that we should think about something like these Stand Your Ground laws, I just ask people to consider, if Trayvon Martin was of age and armed, could he have stood his ground on that sidewalk? And do we actually think that he would have been justified in shooting Mr. Zimmerman, who had followed him in a car, because he felt threatened? And if the answer to that question is at least ambiguous, then it seems to me that we might want to examine those kinds of laws.

http://www.cnn.com/2013/07/19/politics/obama-...

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Orlando Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 20 min harmonious 1,111,599
FL August 23 Florida Primary Election: Will you vote? (Aug '10) 1 hr Spring Hilller 2,520
Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds ... (Dec '08) 2 hr ritedownthemiddle 46,876
Privilege Waived - Part II . . . Remember Me? 2 hr marce-encore 102
CASEY: Does the State Have the Goods to Convict? (Mar '10) 4 hr Riverside 487,786
Alphabet Game (Apr '12) 4 hr covcas 9,076
Missing 5-year-old Florida girl likely was abdu... (Feb '09) 6 hr zazz 96,452
•••
•••
•••

Orlando Jobs

•••
•••
•••

Orlando People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••