Call for arrest of watch captain who shot kid

Mar 19, 2012 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: New York Daily News

ORLANDO, Fla. -- College students around Florida rallied Monday to demand the arrest of a white neighborhood watch captain who shot an unarmed black teen last month, though authorities may be hamstrung by a state law that allows people to defend themselves with deadly force.

Comments
24,581 - 24,600 of 29,905 Comments Last updated 19 hrs ago

“always”

Level 5

Since: May 12

Ticklaw

#28538 Jul 7, 2013
Rambler wrote:
Retreat at Twin Lakes
http://www.easystreetrealty-orlando.com/sanfo...
Except one, each townhouse is exactly 1203 sq feet ranging in listed price from $80,000 to $186,000. Does that make any sense?
"Community Features a 24-Hour SECURITY GATE."
So why is it crime riden?
Wrong again...maybe your new topix pal can provide you with the correct info, she's an expert on Sanford...and everything else. LMAO
Rambler

Red Deer, Canada

#28539 Jul 7, 2013
RuffnReddy wrote:
<quoted text>The original developer, Engle Homes went belly up...the community was finally completed in 2011 by Lennar Homes who was working for the lenders. Aside from the HOA there was-is a management company involved in the day to day operation of the community.
Your police call information is erroneous, a creation of media. That neighborhood, Twin Lakes, includes other large complexes.
Those 46 calls all belong to George Zimmerman and there are likely many more ranging from potholes to who knows. George initially came to Florida at that time and eventually lived in a Lake Mary home that his parents purchased. As you should know George has relatives in the area, one testified last week and George worked for the other in the insurance business.
Yes, I notice Engle Homes became wholy owned by Technical Olympic USA (TOUSA), Inc.

And I'm not denying 46 calls were make by a "George Zimmerman" but the name is certainly not unique.

Aside from the HOA, why would a management company be involved in "day to day operations of the community"? What "operations" would there be to oversee?

**********
Mar 23, 2009, 4:42pm EDT UPDATED: Mar 24, 2009, 3:55pm EDT
TOUSA to lay off 200, will stop building new homes

"It noted that legal and consulting fees associated with the Chapter 11 case was eating up cash. The Business Journal reported last year that the four top-paid attorneys were billing somewhere between $2,500 and $3,000 an hour."

http://www.bizjournals.com/southflorida/stori...
Rambler

Red Deer, Canada

#28540 Jul 7, 2013
RuffnReddy wrote:
<quoted text>Wrong again...maybe your new topix pal can provide you with the correct info, she's an expert on Sanford...and everything else. LMAO
"Wrong again" about what?
Rambler

Red Deer, Canada

#28541 Jul 7, 2013
All these alarm system but no video survelance?

That's a leap......

********

"Every building at the Retreat at Twin Lakes is painted some shade of brown: taupe, terra cotta, khaki. Every townhome has a garage out front and a keypad on the door handle — so if someone steals your keys they can't get inside. Dozens of yards have signs alerting would-be intruders of alarm systems.

"It is a peaceful place. We don't have problems here," Tito Ortiz, 62, said the other day beside his mailbox. A former minister, Ortiz remarried five years ago and bought a house in the Retreat for his new bride. Somewhere they would be safe to grow old together.

"I don't know what happened with that boy. I'm so surprised that happened here," he said. But he doesn't worry about staying in the neighborhood and has no intention of moving. "We are still going to find our peace here."

Many residents of the gated community declined to talk to reporters. Others were eager to give their opinions, but not their names. Several said they had started carrying guns.

No one had seen Zimmerman. Or Trayvon Martin's dad. Except on the news.

http://www.tampabay.com/news/humaninterest/tr...
Oasis

Fayetteville, NC

#28542 Jul 7, 2013
Rambler wrote:
<quoted text>

Aside from the HOA, why would a management company be involved in "day to day operations of the community"? What "operations" would there be to oversee?
**********
Video security, swimming pool maintenance and safety, grounds and landscaping maintenance, trash pick-up. The HOA is the paper pusher for these daily operations.
Contracted out.....limited liability......zero expertise.
Oasis

Fayetteville, NC

#28543 Jul 7, 2013
Rambler wrote:
No one had seen Zimmerman. Or Trayvon Martin's dad. Except on the news.
http://www.tampabay.com/news/humaninterest/tr...
Liar!!!! Taafee knows GZ. He lives there. How about those two AA adult males he "quizzed" on a neighborhood walk. The attempted "hot" bicycle search and recovery? The one that magically appeared in the guy's garage with a different seat. Those folks know GZ. Lord knows the cops and call centers know GZ....LOL

Just those on the "wrong side" of the mailboxes don't know GZ.
Unless, of course, you (and your link) are talking about post-murder "had seen". Then, nevermind......
Rambler

Red Deer, Canada

#28544 Jul 7, 2013
Rambler wrote:
<quoted text>
"From January 2011 to February 2012 records show there were 402 calls to police from that neighborhood, five were about burglaries, but a majority of the calls were about disturbances."
Poor George.
"During the months before he shot Martin, Zimmerman called police about once a month, said Kim Cannaday, spokeswoman for the Seminole County Sheriff's Office. He called about suspicious-looking people in the neighborhood, many whom, like Martin, he identified as black. Zimmerman also called to report a neighbor's garage door open and children playing in the street, asking that he remain anonymous so as not to offend other neighbors."

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2012/03...

*******

So as neighbourhood Watch Captain, in a year George made about 12 of the 402 calls. Considering there are only about 260 complexes in the Retreat at Twin Lakes, 402 calls are a lot. No clue as to why it became so crime riden but it certainly supports the storyline that it indeed was.......

“Our next-door neighbor actually said if someone came into his yard he would shoot him.”

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2012/03...

“always”

Level 5

Since: May 12

Ticklaw

#28545 Jul 7, 2013
Rambler wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes, I notice Engle Homes became wholy owned by Technical Olympic USA (TOUSA), Inc.
And I'm not denying 46 calls were make by a "George Zimmerman" but the name is certainly not unique.
Aside from the HOA, why would a management company be involved in "day to day operations of the community"? What "operations" would there be to oversee?
**********
Mar 23, 2009, 4:42pm EDT UPDATED: Mar 24, 2009, 3:55pm EDT
TOUSA to lay off 200, will stop building new homes
"It noted that legal and consulting fees associated with the Chapter 11 case was eating up cash. The Business Journal reported last year that the four top-paid attorneys were billing somewhere between $2,500 and $3,000 an hour."
http://www.bizjournals.com/southflorida/stori...
Managing the day to day operations, getting the yard work done, keeping the clubhouse area and pool in order, working with realtors on sales and rentals and all the other things management companies do. The company has been mentioned twice already during the trial, recall that the lady investigator gave George his cell phone during the initial interview so he could find the number for the "management company." He also gave her the HOA presidents number.

The other is off topic. Engle bailed and the lenders assigned the completion of the project to Lennar. The final buildings were completed in 2011.

BTW there are both two and three BR units and you might notice that the end units are different from the interior ones with upstairs porches.

If you're handy with google earth or bing, you can take the tour.

It's not a dump, perhaps you noticed that the residents called so far were upstanding citizens and mostly college grads.
Oasis

Fayetteville, NC

#28546 Jul 7, 2013
GZ is the kind of guy who would park under/near a basketball hoop and just wait and watch.....

What a POS....a murdering POS.......the community henchman.
Rambler

Red Deer, Canada

#28547 Jul 7, 2013
Oasis wrote:
<quoted text>
Video security, swimming pool maintenance and safety, grounds and landscaping maintenance, trash pick-up. The HOA is the paper pusher for these daily operations.
Contracted out.....limited liability......zero expertise.
Okay, you're referring to a management company hired by the HOA.

"The original developer, Engle Homes went belly up...the community was finally completed in 2011 by Lennar Homes who was working for the lenders. Aside from the HOA there was-is a management company involved in the day to day operation of the community."
Rambler

Red Deer, Canada

#28548 Jul 7, 2013
RuffnReddy wrote:
<quoted text>Managing the day to day operations, getting the yard work done, keeping the clubhouse area and pool in order, working with realtors on sales and rentals and all the other things management companies do. The company has been mentioned twice already during the trial, recall that the lady investigator gave George his cell phone during the initial interview so he could find the number for the "management company." He also gave her the HOA presidents number.
The other is off topic. Engle bailed and the lenders assigned the completion of the project to Lennar. The final buildings were completed in 2011.
BTW there are both two and three BR units and you might notice that the end units are different from the interior ones with upstairs porches.
If you're handy with google earth or bing, you can take the tour.
It's not a dump, perhaps you noticed that the residents called so far were upstanding citizens and mostly college grads.
I'm boycotting watching the fantasy trial.

However I can envision this type of community. It happens here.....a strong marketing plan selling a dream, individual condo owners believe they're buying into some sort of paradise. Meanwhile investors buy up bulk units, contractors and related parties are granted units in lieu looking to capitalize on price appreciation.....

Indeed some developments in Alberta are being marketed to Florida investors.

******

"He kept a close watch for outsiders, but it couldn't have been easy to tell who belonged and who didn't. When the housing market crashed, many townhomes were foreclosed on and the owners evicted. Dozens of investors, unable to unload the two- and three-bedroom properties, rented them to cover their upside-down mortgages.

The developers had envisioned a stable neighborhood with home­owners planting long-term roots, but now townhouses were turning over all the time. Insiders moved out. Outsiders moved in.

By the time Zimmerman shot Trayvon Martin, 40 properties inside the gate were empty and more than half of the residents were renters."
http://www.tampabay.com/news/humaninterest/tr...

******

Appx 260 townhouses - 40 empty, 110 rentals, leaves 110 the majority short sales/repos probably turned over at the bottom of the market. Paradise lost.

Level 7

Since: Jan 12

Location hidden

#28549 Jul 7, 2013
Rambler wrote:
<quoted text>
"During the months before he shot Martin, Zimmerman called police about once a month, said Kim Cannaday, spokeswoman for the Seminole County Sheriff's Office. He called about suspicious-looking people in the neighborhood, many whom, like Martin, he identified as black. Zimmerman also called to report a neighbor's garage door open and children playing in the street, asking that he remain anonymous so as not to offend other neighbors."
http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2012/03...
*******
So as neighbourhood Watch Captain, in a year George made about 12 of the 402 calls. Considering there are only about 260 complexes in the Retreat at Twin Lakes, 402 calls are a lot. No clue as to why it became so crime riden but it certainly supports the storyline that it indeed was.......
“Our next-door neighbor actually said if someone came into his yard he would shoot him.”
http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2012/03...
It became crime ridden because it's in SANFORD, the pimple on the butt of Seminole County. Sanford, the home of the ghetto projects where a bunch of ghetto apes live, kill, deal their drugs, and commit every crime on the books. Unfortunately, they don't stay in their ghetto, and we're not allowed to put up a wall and barbed wire to keep them there. They go out into neighboring communities to steal, assault, rape and kill. THAT'S why every community in Sanford is crime ridden. The best hope for crime reduction in Sanford is that the ghetto apes burn down the filthy projects when Mr. Zimmerman is found not guilty.
Oasis

Fayetteville, NC

#28550 Jul 7, 2013
Rambler wrote:
<quoted text>
Okay, you're referring to a management company hired by the HOA.
"The original developer, Engle Homes went belly up...the community was finally completed in 2011 by Lennar Homes who was working for the lenders. Aside from the HOA there was-is a management company involved in the day to day operation of the community."
OK, an additional level of insulation, miscommunication and misunderstanding. The HOA is merely administative and is a liaison. A team of experts under one hat.....the management company. Maybe this management company is the one who manages all the "legal" rentals in the community. Interior maintenance is not any HOA's responsibilty. No multi-family structure needs some bonehead knocking out walls in the middle of their unit 'cause they saw an episode on HGTV. LOL.
Rambler

Red Deer, Canada

#28551 Jul 7, 2013
Oasis wrote:
<quoted text>
Video security, swimming pool maintenance and safety, grounds and landscaping maintenance, trash pick-up. The HOA is the paper pusher for these daily operations.
Contracted out.....limited liability......zero expertise.
Speaking of HOAs and condo management companies, during the recent Alberts flood it's become a bone of contention that some of these management companies are nowhere to be found, leaving scores of owner-occupied condo owners locked out of their properties because no one is leading the necessary and costly repair work. Meanwhile the condo-associations (HOAs) are made up of a group of unwitting homeowners who are now in way over their head with what they're having to cope with......bad enough to have damage to one's own property let alone responsibility of 100 or more others.

It's pretty much a given it's a safer to rent a condo than own one....,..
Rambler

Red Deer, Canada

#28552 Jul 7, 2013
Oasis wrote:
<quoted text>
OK, an additional level of insulation, miscommunication and misunderstanding. The HOA is merely administative and is a liaison. A team of experts under one hat.....the management company. Maybe this management company is the one who manages all the "legal" rentals in the community. Interior maintenance is not any HOA's responsibilty. No multi-family structure needs some bonehead knocking out walls in the middle of their unit 'cause they saw an episode on HGTV. LOL.
I know what a HOA is, good grief don't assume everyone is stupid.

HOA = Home Owner's Association

A HOA collects fees from each townhouse owner, which are in part utilized to contract out necessary maintenance services for shared amenities within that comminity. Of course interior maintenance of owned units is not a HOA responsibility!
Rambler

Red Deer, Canada

#28554 Jul 7, 2013
Home Owners Association or HOA Law & Legal Definition

A Home Owners Association (HOA) is an organization of homeowners of a particular subdivision, condominium or planned unit development. The purpose of a home owners association is to provide a common basis for preserving maintaining and enhancing their homes and property. Most homeowners' associations are non-profit corporations. They are subject to state statutes that govern non-profit corporations and homeowner associations. The associations provide services, regulate activities, levy assessments, and impose fines. Usually, each member of a homeowners association pays assessments. Those assessments or dues are used to pay for expenses that arise from having and maintaining common property.

Example of a state statute defining Homeowners association.

Fla. Stat. 720.301

9) "Homeowners' association" or "association" means a Florida corporation responsible for the operation of a community or a mobile home subdivision in which the voting membership is made up of parcel owners or their agents, or a combination thereof, and in which membership is a mandatory condition of parcel ownership, and which is authorized to impose assessments that, if unpaid, may become a lien on the parcel. The term "homeowners' association" does not include a community development district or other similar special taxing district created pursuant to statute.

http://definitions.uslegal.com/h/home-owners-...
Rambler

Red Deer, Canada

#28557 Jul 7, 2013
Leland Management's Rebecca Furlow, a Woman Who Means Business

PRLog (Press Release)- Apr. 10, 2013 - ORLANDO, Fla.-- Leland Management is pleased to announce that our President, Rebecca Furlow, has been selected as one of eight honorees in the Business Owner category for the Orlando Business Journal's 15th Annual Women Who Mean Business awards.

To those who know Rebecca, it does not come as a surprise that she is being honored. Throughout her career, Rebecca has excelled in business, starting Leland Management over 15 years ago, growing it to over 350 employees and serving more than 100,000 homeowners throughout Florida. She is a pioneer in her profession, as well as an advocate for the Community Association Management industry. She is actively involved in implementing and maintaining high standards of professionalism for Community Association Managers both in Leland Management and throughout the state of Florida.

Rebecca has developed an excellent reputation for Leland Management based on honesty, respect, trust, and customer service. She takes an active role in all aspects of the company and leads by example. Please join us in congratulating Rebecca on receiving this honor.

Leland Management is an Association Management firm serving over 350 community associations throughout Florida. With offices located in Orlando, Rockledge, Satellite Beach, Ocala, Daytona Beach, Jacksonville, Flagler/Palm Coast, St. Augustine, Amelia Island, Clearwater and Tampa. Leland Management is a family owned company with all of the resources of a large Association Management firm but with the focus and personal customer service of a family owned business. For more information on Leland Management please visit us online at www.lelandmanagement.com .

http://www.prlog.org/12116168-leland-manageme...

********

Whohoo!

Why don't one of you locals ask if she cut a check for a million dollars to Mom?
Rambler

Red Deer, Canada

#28559 Jul 7, 2013
xxxrayted wrote:
<quoted text>
Speaking as a landlord, I can tell you that's the sentiments of many people. They are sick of ownership and rentals is at an all time high. In fact, I heard a report a few months ago that investors are buying and building multi-family units to accommodate all these new renters.
During the housing bubble, I lost several great tenants. They wanted to take advantage of 0% down. A few years afterwards when the market collapsed, they told me how they regretted their decision at the time. I tried to talk them out of moving, but they assumed I was only looking out for myself and not them.
Yes, developers and realtors love naive people who buy into the foolish dream they will become rich by earning you a return on your investment through rental income plus future capital appreciation, while all your expenses including interest on that big mortgage is tax deductible and a portion of your capital gains is tax exempt.

Ask yourself why very few apartment complexes are being built today if there's so much money in becoming a landlord. other than govt subsidized low income facilities.

Level 5

Since: Feb 11

Location hidden

#28561 Jul 7, 2013
xxxrayted wrote:
I had a problem with my next door neighbor a few weeks ago.
I am sure you have problems with all your neighbors, you lying sack of cr@p.

You are that kind of neighbor.
Ctz

Riverside, CA

#28563 Jul 7, 2013
barefoot2626 wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh boy, another work of fiction from this m/f c/s lying sack of cr@p who says he just happens to have tenants who went through the housing bubble but then came back to tell him they lost everything!
HAHAHAHAHAH!
You lying sack of cr@p: you don't have tenants and never have, and tenants going back to their old landlords and tell them how great they had it when they were renting.
There is no one person in Topix that is more full of cr@p then you, Pinocchio.

She is talking about Cockroaches as her tenants. You know they always come back to where life is good and they are free to roam .

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Orlando Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 7 min sonicfilter 1,101,052
Let's Chat (Jan '12) 47 min Jane 17,646
Inspiration Lane - Don't Quit (May '09) 51 min Murph 70,459
5000 post wins (Feb '13) 1 hr Princess Hey 4,166
Privilege Waived - Part II . . . Remember Me? 2 hr Lon Spector 33
Casey Anthony maintains baby sitter was not fab... (Feb '14) 2 hr bunner 257
What life is like for Casey Anthony 3 hr Lon Spector 196
CASEY: Does the State Have the Goods to Convict? (Mar '10) 3 hr LizW 486,663
•••
•••
Orlando Dating

more search filters

less search filters

•••

Orlando Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Orlando People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••

Orlando News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Orlando
•••

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]
•••