Call for arrest of watch captain who ...

Call for arrest of watch captain who shot kid

There are 29779 comments on the New York Daily News story from Mar 19, 2012, titled Call for arrest of watch captain who shot kid. In it, New York Daily News reports that:

ORLANDO, Fla. -- College students around Florida rallied Monday to demand the arrest of a white neighborhood watch captain who shot an unarmed black teen last month, though authorities may be hamstrung by a state law that allows people to defend themselves with deadly force.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at New York Daily News.

Level 7

Since: Feb 09

Location hidden

#28439 Jul 6, 2013
barefoot2626 wrote:
<quoted text>
And then he admitted it was too dark for him to see who was actually *see* who was yelling for help, and of course he wasn't watching when the pedophile fired the fatal shot in the middle of a scream identified as Martin's scream.
Ear witnesses, eye witnesses...phooey.

If I'm wrongly attacking someone, and if I am a young black male, and the person I was assulting was screaming at the top of his lungs in a very public place with neighbors all around who could see what I was doing......I'm pretty sure I'd be hi-tailing it out of there BEFORE the cops came to arrest me.

It makes no sense that GZ would be doing the screaming.

And common sense is what's going into that jury room.

Level 7

Since: Feb 09

Location hidden

#28440 Jul 6, 2013
NSBResident wrote:
<quoted text>
Apparently TM left 7-11 at 6:24 pm. The store was .08 miles from where he was staying. Sounds like he was doing a little loitering in the area around where GZ first spotted him. There is no way it should have taken him that long to get to the area where GZ first spotted him, and a darn good reason for concern.
What law says someone has to go immediately home?

Baskin-Robbins?

“always”

Level 5

Since: May 12

Ticklaw

#28442 Jul 6, 2013
xxxrayted wrote:
<quoted text>
You people with this million dollar story. Where is the evidence of this million dollars? I haven't seen it. And no, I'm not familiar with that story. Unless he didn't have a CCW to carry his gun, why would they lock him up in the slammer?
It must suck to live so far away and be so very clueless.

The HOA's insurance companies lawyers hinted at the range of the settlement, right after they rolled over rather than go to court.

George admitted to following the juvenile, admitted to shooting the juvenile and also admitted to never making any attempt to introduce himself or make voice contact prior to the confrontation.

“Come and get it! ”

Level 3

Since: Jan 09

Traverse City

#28443 Jul 6, 2013
ngrace wrote:
And common sense is what's going into that jury room.
I certainly hope so. If that's the case, the jury should only be out about 10 minutes, and come back with a "not guilty" verdict.

Too bad the prosecution didn't have more time. Maybe they could've gotten him charged with killing JFK too. They'd have just as good of chance of getting a conviction as they would in this absurd case.
july six

United States

#28445 Jul 6, 2013
Sneaky Pete wrote:
<quoted text>I certainly hope so. If that's the case, the jury should only be out about 10 minutes, and come back with a "not guilty" verdict.
Too bad the prosecution didn't have more time. Maybe they could've gotten him charged with killing JFK too. They'd have just as good of chance of getting a conviction as they would in this absurd case.
the JFK one would be George Herbert Walker Bush CIA
http://tomflocco.com/fs/FbiMemoPhotoLinkBushJ...

then when JFK jr got the goods on his fathers murder and was trying to get it it before a grand jury he had another one of them bush whackers moments you know accidents, suicides and such that just seem to happen to people who cross the bush whackers
http://rense.com/general78/reas.htm

Level 7

Since: Oct 12

Location hidden

#28447 Jul 6, 2013
NSBResident wrote:
<quoted text>
No, I haven't seen Newsroom. What is it about?
I think Crumpett's on the witness stand will open some eyes into the BS that was put out there, fact vs fiction. Not sure if Omara has deposed him yet, but I am sure he is not going to make himself easily available.
Perhaps we should start an online petition to remove Sharpton from the media :) Not that it would do any good. I think as MSNBC falls in the ratings they will be looking at changes. I wrote to their advertisers and their producers a while back, maybe I should do it again.
In Newsroom...Jeff Daniels plays someone like maybe Anderson Cooper/Brian Williams...where you get to see how the Corporate greed and pressures(Jane Fonda) have some influence in how the news is formed and presented, versus Daniels and Sam Waterston as the Network President...Best new show I've seen in years...it is the bomb....lol....Produced by the same guy that did, West Wing.......WE need either a Presidential commision or Congressional hearings to explore the amount of race-baiting and how agendas, political and social have succeeded in hijacking straight news presentation......the FCC needs it's power back and to use it.....No more foreign ownership of American cable news networks.....Peace Out.......

Level 5

Since: Feb 11

Location hidden

#28448 Jul 6, 2013
ngrace wrote:
It makes no sense that GZ would be doing the screaming.
Maybe the pedophile was screaming to cover the sound of the gunshot?

You know, a Get Smart silencer?
Beltway 8

Houston, TX

#28449 Jul 6, 2013
Go Blue Forever wrote:
<quoted text> In Newsroom...Jeff Daniels plays someone like maybe Anderson Cooper/Brian Williams...where you get to see how the Corporate greed and pressures(Jane Fonda) have some influence in how the news is formed and presented, versus Daniels and Sam Waterston as the Network President...Best new show I've seen in years...it is the bomb....lol....Produced by the same guy that did, West Wing.......WE need either a Presidential commision or Congressional hearings to explore the amount of race-baiting and how agendas, political and social have succeeded in hijacking straight news presentation......the FCC needs it's power back and to use it.....No more foreign ownership of American cable news networks.....Peace Out.......
I've seen that show. Jeff Daniels is great. It's shocking when there is actually something worthwhile to watch on TV even though we have regular and movie channels. We still end up buying movies to watch rather than the fare which we have typically seen already at the movies.

Tired of the back and forth about the trial. Someone mentioned the case here in Texas in 2007. It was totally different circumstances, so you can't use it as a template for the GZ trial.

Level 5

Location hidden

#28450 Jul 6, 2013
xxxrayted wrote:
from burning yourself with a hot cup of McDonald's coffee
(quote)
The McDonald’s Hot Coffee Case
It is the case that gave rise to the attacks on “frivolous lawsuits” in the United States. Almost everyone seems to know about it. And there’s a good chance everything you know about it is wrong.

In 1992, 79-year-old Stella Liebeck bought a cup of takeout coffee at a McDonald’s drive-thru in Albuquerque and spilled it on her lap. She sued McDonald’s and a jury awarded her nearly $3 million in punitive damages for the burns she suffered.

Typical reaction: Isn’t coffee supposed to be hot? And McDonald’s didn’t pour the coffee on her, she spilled it on herself! Besides, she was driving the car and wasn’t paying attention.

Now for the facts:

Mrs. Liebeck was not driving when her coffee spilled, nor was the car she was in moving. She was the passenger in a car that was stopped in the parking lot of the McDonald’s where she bought the coffee. She had the cup between her knees while removing the lid to add cream and sugar when the cup tipped over and spilled the entire contents on her lap.

The coffee was not just “hot,” but dangerously hot. McDonald’s corporate policy was to serve it at a temperature that could cause serious burns in seconds. Mrs. Liebeck’s injuries were far from frivolous. She was wearing sweatpants that absorbed the coffee and kept it against her skin. She suffered third-degree burns (the most serious kind) and required skin grafts on her inner thighs and elsewhere.

Liebeck’s case was far from an isolated event. McDonald’s had received more than 700 previous reports of injury from its coffee, including reports of third-degree burns, and had paid settlements in some cases.

Mrs. Liebeck offered to settle the case for $20,000 to cover her medical expenses and lost income. But McDonald’s never offered more than $800, so the case went to trial. The jury found Mrs. Liebeck to be partially at fault for her injuries, reducing the compensation for her injuries accordingly. But the jury’s punitive damages award made headlines — upset by McDonald’s unwillingness to correct a policy despite hundreds of people suffering injuries, they awarded Liebeck the equivalent of two days’ worth of revenue from coffee sales for the restaurant chain.

That wasn’t, however, the end of it.

The original punitive damage award was ultimately reduced by more than 80 percent by the judge. And, to avoid what likely would have been years of appeals, Mrs. Liebeck and McDonald’s later reached a confidential settlement.

“target pic of moty,he he he”

Level 4

Since: Jul 08

Location hidden

#28451 Jul 6, 2013
BILL HAS GONE AND DONE IT AGAIN...

They're standing on the corner and they can't speak English.
I can't even talk the way these people talk:
Why you ain't,...
Where you is,
What he drive,
Where he stay,
Where he work,
Who you be...
And I blamed the kid until I heard the mother talk.
And then I heard the father talk.
Everybody knows it's important to speak English except these knuckleheads. You can't be a doctor with that kind of crap coming out of your mouth.
In fact you will never get any kind of job making a decent living.

People marched and were hit in the face with rocks to get an Education, and now we've got these knuckleheads walking around.
The lower economic people are not holding up their end in this deal.
These people are not parenting. They are buying things for kids.
$500 sneakers for what?
And they won't spend $200 for Hooked on Phonics.

I am talking about these people who cry when their son is standing there in an orange suit.
Where were you when he was 2?
Where were you when he was 12?
Where were you when he was 18 and how come you didn't know that he had a pistol?
And where is the father? Or who is his father?
People putting their clothes on backward:
Isn't that a sign of something gone wrong?
People with their hats on backward, pants down around the crack, isn't that a sign of something?

Isn't it a sign of something when she has her dress all the way up and got all type of needles [piercing] going through her body?
What part of Africa did this come from??
We are not Africans. Those people are not Africans; they don't know a thing about Africa .....

I say this all of the time. It would be like white people saying they are European-American. That is totally stupid.
I was born here, and so were my parents and grand parents and, very likely my great grandparents. I don't have any connection to Africa, no more than white Americans have to Germany , Scotland , England , Ireland , or the Netherlands . The same applies to 99 percent of all the black Americans as regards to Africa . So stop, already!!!
With names like Shaniqua, Taliqua and Mohammed and all of that crap ......... And all of them are in jail.

Brown or black versus the Board of Education is no longer the white person's problem.
We have got to take the neighborhood back.
People used to be ashamed. Today a woman has eight children with eight different 'husbands'-- or men or whatever you call them now.
We have millionaire football players who cannot read.
We have million-dollar basketball players who can't write two paragraphs. We, as black folks have to do a better job.
Someone working at Wal-Mart with seven kids, you are hurting us.
We have to start holding each other to a higher standard..
We cannot blame the white people any longer.'

~Dr.. William Henry 'Bill' Cosby, Jr., Ed..D.

WELL SAID, BILL
It's NOT about color...
It's about behavior!!!

Level 5

Location hidden

#28452 Jul 6, 2013
(cont)

Here is some of the evidence the jury heard during the trial:

McDonald’s operations manual required the franchisee to hold its coffee at 180 to 190 degrees Fahrenheit.

Coffee at that temperature, if spilled, causes third-degree burns in three to seven seconds.

The chairman of the department of mechanical engineering and biomechanical engineering at the University of Texas testified that this risk of harm is unacceptable, as did a widely recognized expert on burns, the editor-in-chief of the Journal of Burn Care and Rehabilitation, the leading scholarly publication in the specialty.

McDonald’s admitted it had known about the risk of serious burns from its scalding hot coffee for more than 10 years. The risk had repeatedly been brought to its attention through numerous other claims and suits.

An expert witness for the company testified that the number of burns was insignificant compared to the billions of cups of coffee the company served each year.

At least one juror later told the Wall Street Journal she thought the company wasn’t taking the injuries seriously. To the corporate restaurant giant those 700 injury cases caused by hot coffee seemed relatively rare compared to the millions of cups of coffee served. But, the juror noted,“there was a person behind every number and I don’t think the corporation was attaching enough importance to that.”

McDonald’s quality assurance manager testified that McDonald’s coffee, at the temperature at which it was poured into Styrofoam cups, was not fit for consumption because it would burn the mouth and throat.

McDonald’s admitted at trial that consumers were unaware of the extent of the risk of serious burns from spilled coffee served at McDonald’s then-required temperature.

McDonald’s admitted it did not warn customers of the nature and extent of this risk and could offer no explanation as to why it did not.

In a story about the case (pdf) published shortly after the verdict was delivered in 1994, one of the jurors said over the course of the trial he came to realize the case was about “callous disregard for the safety of the people.” Another juror said “the facts were so overwhelmingly against the company.”

That’s because those jurors were able to hear all the facts — including those presented by McDonald’s — and see the extent of Mrs. Liebeck’s injuries. Ask anyone who criticizes the case as a “frivolous lawsuit” that resulted in “jackpot justice” if they have done the same.

Level 5

Location hidden

#28453 Jul 6, 2013
The McDonald’s Hot Coffee Case

It is the case that gave rise to the attacks on “frivolous lawsuits” in the United States. Almost everyone seems to know about it. And there’s a good chance everything you know about it is wrong.
In 1992, 79-year-old Stella Liebeck bought a cup of takeout coffee at a McDonald’s drive-thru in Albuquerque and spilled it on her lap. She sued McDonald’s and a jury awarded her nearly $3 million in punitive damages for the burns she suffered.

Typical reaction: Isn’t coffee supposed to be hot? And McDonald’s didn’t pour the coffee on her, she spilled it on herself! Besides, she was driving the car and wasn’t paying attention.

Now for the facts:

Mrs. Liebeck was not driving when her coffee spilled, nor was the car she was in moving. She was the passenger in a car that was stopped in the parking lot of the McDonald’s where she bought the coffee. She had the cup between her knees while removing the lid to add cream and sugar when the cup tipped over and spilled the entire contents on her lap.

The coffee was not just “hot,” but dangerously hot. McDonald’s corporate policy was to serve it at a temperature that could cause serious burns in seconds. Mrs. Liebeck’s injuries were far from frivolous. She was wearing sweatpants that absorbed the coffee and kept it against her skin. She suffered third-degree burns (the most serious kind) and required skin grafts on her inner thighs and elsewhere.

Liebeck’s case was far from an isolated event. McDonald’s had received more than 700 previous reports of injury from its coffee, including reports of third-degree burns, and had paid settlements in some cases.

Mrs. Liebeck offered to settle the case for $20,000 to cover her medical expenses and lost income. But McDonald’s never offered more than $800, so the case went to trial. The jury found Mrs. Liebeck to be partially at fault for her injuries, reducing the compensation for her injuries accordingly.

But the jury’s punitive damages award made headlines — upset by McDonald’s unwillingness to correct a policy despite hundreds of people suffering injuries, they awarded Liebeck the equivalent of two days’ worth of revenue from coffee sales for the restaurant chain. That wasn’t, however, the end of it. The original punitive damage award was ultimately reduced by more than 80 percent by the judge. And, to avoid what likely would have been years of appeals, Mrs. Liebeck and McDonald’s later reached a confidential settlement.
DangerousRiteWin gCrusader

Atlanta, GA

#28454 Jul 6, 2013
xxxrayted wrote:
<quoted text>
Easy. Zimmerman is not dead or suffered permanent injuries that may have hampered his life.
GZ is in hiding because of all the animals that don't believe in our justice system. These are lawless criminals or potential criminals with minimum education and plenty of violence in them. If Zim is found not-guilty, you may even get to see these animals on the national news. Get your VCR ready to tape.
Animal?
I guess you & Captain Z are in the pest control business????

You call concerned poor folks animals?

“JUSTICE DENIED, AGAIN!!!”

Level 8

Since: Mar 10

Location hidden

#28456 Jul 6, 2013
Go Blue Forever wrote:
<quoted text>Frankly, i am surprised more isn't said, about the societal dangers of lynchmob, race-baiting which has gone on, specifically at HLN, CNN and MSNBC for the last 16 months, in the case of this incident.....Then i wonder, where and whom would have this conversation?...lol...a laugh, but it's really both sad and scary.....Have you ever seen Newsroom, on HBO?.....
You race bait everyday.

Level 2

Since: Jun 13

Edgewater, FL

#28458 Jul 6, 2013
barefoot2626 wrote:
<quoted text>
Maybe you should do it a few thousand times.
Because we all know what happens when an advertiser gets a letter from someone like you that threatens you are going to stop buying their adult sized diapers, they pull the plug and move to FOX instead.
Show us all you are not full of cr@p- as we think- by right now starting that letter campaign.
Instead of wasting your time here...
You are really showing your ignorance. You must be really bored, no life, no friends. Just hate and ignorance

Level 8

Location hidden

#28459 Jul 6, 2013
Michael Savage on George Zimmerman:‘You have to find this man guilty’

On his show on Tuesday night, talk show host Michael Savage said that George Zimmerman, who is currently on trial for the murder of Trayvon Martin, should be found guilty of second-degree manslaughter based on two things: 1) The state of his firearm and 2) The language he allegedly used on a 911 call when he was first reporting his suspicions about Martin.

But first Savage explained why his insight should be valued over others in the media covering the trial.

“I’m about to break an analysis that no one yet in the media has done, as you would expect from me — being the senior member of the American media and possibly the most insightful,” Savage said.“And I have to blow my own horn because everyone else tries to break my horn.”

“I will tell you that I broke the case down as follows,” Savage continued.“You want to hear it, or don’t you want to hear it? I know your mind is made up: White people generally think Zimmerman is innocent, except for liberals who are sure he is guilty; black people probably to the 99th percentile are sure Zimmerman’s a murderer. So where does Michael Savage fit in? I’m an independent observer and I call them as I see them, and I think Zimmerman committed what he’s being charged with: manslaughter. He didn’t intend to kill him, but he may as well have intended to kill him.”

Savage laid out his case, saying that the murder could have been avoided, but based on Zimmerman’s gun having a round in the chamber with the safety off, Zimmerman intended “to find some he could shoot or intimidate.”

“Zimmerman was carrying a Kel Tec semi-automatic 9mm handgun,” Savage said.“So? Big deal. It is a big deal because he had a bullet chambered in the gun and he had the safety off… Had he not chambered a round prior to meeting Trayvon, and had he not taken the safety off, even if Trayvon, during the altercation even if Trayvon had tried to grab the gun away from Zimmerman — had that gun not been chambered with a round and safety off, Trayvon Martin would have had to use two hands. You can’t do it with one hand.”

“Many of you don’t own guns,” Savage said.“He would have had to let go of Zimmerman. He would have had to stop punching him. He would have had to take both hands on the gun, hold the pistol grip with one, pull the top back to chamber a round and then he would have had to unlock the safety, during which time the mixed-martial-artist-in-traini ng Mr. Zimmerman would have had time to throw him off and pound the hell out of him. But because Zimmerman carried a loaded weapon with the safety off, Trayvon Martin is dead. Therefore, the responsibility is in the hands of Zimmerman.

“I don’t care which side you are on,” Savage continued.“He wasn’t just carrying a gun, he wasn’t just a watch guy: He was hunting. He was looking, he was hoping to find someone he could shoot or intimidate with that loaded weapon, ladies and gentlemen of the Savage jury.”

In addition to that, Savage said the controversial 911 call was also damning.

“[Z]immerman says the back entrance and under his breath, he can be heard saying ‘f-ing,’ and the first word is ‘f—ing;’ the second word begins with a ‘c’ and ends with ‘ns,’” Savage said.“I didn’t make that up. It’s on the 911 tape. And I’m afraid that the fact that he has this racist statement — made this racist statement on the 911 call — and that he was carry a loaded gun with a bullet in the chamber and the safety off, you have to find this man guilty of second-degree manslaughter is my opinion. Something’s wrong with this whole story.”

That 911 call was debated back in March and April 2012, with some saying Zimmerman said “fucking coon” and others saying it was “fucking cold” or “fucking punks.”

Level 2

Edgewater, FL

#28460 Jul 6, 2013
RuffnReddy wrote:
<quoted text>Well, well, well, the goofball from Cleveland finally gets something right.
The HOA can't do squat to stop a resident from carrying legally.
But the HOA and it's insurance companies can damn sure roll over to the tune of a million bucks on a wrongful death suit because "their point man" shot a visitor who walking home from a nearby store.
There's a great story in today's Orlando Sentinel about a HOA official, Howard Fox, patrolling for "black folk" with two real weapons. Thankfully he didn't cut loose with the shoulder slung Glock on the dark skinned folks watching fireworks.
He's in the slammer, he'll never carry legally again...ever and his HOA will be signing checks shortly...large checks.
But you're the genius...LMAO.
Actually once a lawsuit is filed, its the insurance company that negotiates, the HOA has little input, and please post a link where they received a million bucks. I am thinking it was MUCH less than one million dollars. But what is it that they say in the commercial. If its on the internet, it has to be true !

Level 2

Edgewater, FL

#28461 Jul 6, 2013
xxxrayted wrote:
<quoted text>
No, not really. No different than most states.
As for myself, I had to go through a background check, go to the Sheriff's office and get electronically fingerprinted, and I had to list every place I ever lived since I became a legal adult at 18. Then I had to give them a picture of myself which they would only accept from a passport outlet, and they mailed my license about a week and a half later.
If I remember correctly, Florida requires all of the above, and you have to send them a copy of your certificate for passing a firearms class. In my class I shot everything from a 22 to a 45, learned the mechanics of both automatics and revolvers, learned the various parts of the ammunition, etc. It wasn't a big deal, but I imagine some would think it was too much trouble or wouldn't follow through. It can take up to two months to get your license after you submit everything.

Level 8

Location hidden

#28462 Jul 6, 2013
NSBResident wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes, to some it would appear that way. However this is SOP in criminal cases, and could simply mean that the Judge does not want to take personal responsibility for droppin gthe carges and wants the jury to make the decision. I would imagine that with all of the threats of riots and such the Judge would not want threats made or carried out against her and her family.
She didn't become a judge by not wanting to take personal responsibility.

Level 2

Edgewater, FL

#28463 Jul 6, 2013
ngrace wrote:
<quoted text>
What law says someone has to go immediately home?
Baskin-Robbins?
Scoping out the neighborhood? Seems that if he was going to baskin robbins or anywhere else, he would have said something to dear Rachel about it. And although no one has "opened the door" for Omara to ask about Trayvons past, I am sure the burglary tools and women's jewelry may fit nicely into why he was taking so long to get home, and why George may have thought he was behaving suspiciously.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Orlando Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 1 min Susanm 1,483,966
Double Fun Word Game (Mar '11) 2 hr Princess Hey 13,188
News Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds ... (Dec '08) 3 hr Patriot AKA Bozo 62,986
News Hallmark Delivers a 'Christmas Card' (Nov '07) 4 hr JBROWN 82
Pa and NJ adoptees and birth parents......... r... 12 hr joanNYadoptees 2
Princess Hey 13 hr Tn Guy 1
subs weed roofiess Xanies bar,Blues,oc's,molly Sun sisi 1

Orlando Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Orlando Mortgages