Report: Man falls overboard from Port...

Report: Man falls overboard from Port Canaveral cruise ship

There are 60 comments on the Orlando Sentinel story from Jan 1, 2009, titled Report: Man falls overboard from Port Canaveral cruise ship. In it, Orlando Sentinel reports that:

MyFoxOrlando.com is reporting that the Coast Guard is currently searching for a Port Canaveral cruise-ship worker who went overboard early today.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Orlando Sentinel.

I kant spel

Orlando, FL

#22 Jan 1, 2009
I never knew the origins of the expression, "Man Overboard!!!", but now I know.
An observer

Oviedo, FL

#23 Jan 1, 2009
Was he asking for a raise in pay and they threw him overboard?

Since: Aug 08

Orange City, FL

#24 Jan 1, 2009
Cosmogal wrote:
<quoted text>
Where did you hear that? Doesn't say that at all. Just cause he was a worker doesn't mean he was off duty and goofing off. We don't know the facts either way. So what is so difficult about that too?
Have you heard that there are other sources of news othern that the Orlando Sentinel?????

On TV they were reporting that he was part of the maintenance crew, and now CNN is saying that he was part of the entertainment personnel and he was off-duty.

When you have a breaking news story, my choice is NEVER to believe anything in the media until it has been CONFIRMED!

Since: Aug 08

Orange City, FL

#25 Jan 1, 2009
OIA Spokesman wrote:
I'm with Razzle on this one!
"cold day in h e ll before I step a foot on one."
Good! More food on the buffet for ME!!!!!
Tim Hickey

Palm Bay, FL

#26 Jan 1, 2009
This is why I don't subscribe to this paper. There is a BIG difference between FALLING overboard and JUMPING/BEING THROWN overboard!!! The reason the woman WENT overboard earlier this week is yet to be determined. But it is being reported by the FBI at this time that she either commited suicide or was thrown!! NOT FELL. FALLING OVERBOARD IS AN ACCIDENT AND IS UNINTENTIONAL !!! Once again, GREAT reporting O.S.!!!
gatour

Jacksonville, FL

#28 Jan 1, 2009
Actually the women committed suicide. Thbere are around 1100 cameras on that particular ship and they are fairly confident she committed suicide. Even her family said that.

Technically you do fall of the ship. It is called "falling". Now how you get to that state is up to to you (or in some cases a devious person).
nurse ratchet

Albany, GA

#30 Jan 1, 2009
Dr_Dolittle wrote:
<quoted text>
He was a WORKER on the ship! he was probably fixing something or painting something and HE FELL!!!!!! What's so difficult to understand about that???????
The report says he was "off duty".
There were witnesses. So eventually the true scenerio will come to light. Chill baby...chill.:)

“Central Florida , Leesburg”

Since: Jul 08

Rochester, NH

#31 Jan 1, 2009
Dr_Dolittle wrote:
<quoted text>
Have you heard that there are other sources of news othern that the Orlando Sentinel?????
On TV they were reporting that he was part of the maintenance crew, and now CNN is saying that he was part of the entertainment personnel and he was off-duty.
When you have a breaking news story, my choice is NEVER to believe anything in the media until it has been CONFIRMED!
Wow very true! They can't seem to get the facts straight in reporting it to us~ Thanks! I will wait for the truth to come out on this one since the reporters don't seem to know what they is the truth. Either way, its sad.
looloo

Oak Hill, WV

#32 Jan 1, 2009
Dr_Dolittle wrote:
<quoted text>
He was a WORKER on the ship! he was probably fixing something or painting something and HE FELL!!!!!! What's so difficult to understand about that???????
Its a sad situation. If he was doing something as you mentioned, he should of been wearing a life jacket. I dont think that they are supposed to be fixing something so close to goinf overboard without others. Lets hope they find him, and he is alive.
redgator

Windermere, FL

#33 Jan 1, 2009
Nathan Grace wrote:
The primary suspect is the wife.
Is anyone interrogating the wife.
One of my sources tells me the wife has been having extra-marital affairs with the milk man and the plumber.
Many wives want nothing more than to rid of their men and collect on the insurance money.
As a trial lawyer, I have put away many wives why tried to have their husbands whacked.
yeah, right. maybe you WISH you were a lawyer. you sound like a new ex-husband bitter over the settlement your wife probably deserved.
Maxfield

Orlando, FL

#34 Jan 1, 2009
OIA Spokesman wrote:
I'm with Razzle on this one!
"cold day in h e ll before I step a foot on one."
And I am with both of you - never been on a cruise and now I sure won't. High risk vacation.
Carolina Bill

Rock Hill, SC

#35 Jan 1, 2009
How sad!Large U.S.Navy Ships have lookouts Positioned on all sides looking out for anyone going overboard.They are in radio contact with the bridge.Their post is manned at all times.If you go overboard they sound the alarm.These lookouts are your only hope .Every so often someone dissapears on a cruise.Such a big Ocean.Ask any sailor.
jay from north carolina

Clemmons, NC

#36 Jan 1, 2009
redgator wrote:
you don't just "fall" from a cruise ship. sounds like someone was being stupid and clowning around.
Damn right those rails are 4 ft tall at least ,plus its 1;00 in the morning Im sure he had been drinking thats what people do at that time of the morning.Mabey he was painting Ive seen the maintenance guys painting the ship at sea every time Ive been on a cruise.

;
jay from north carolina

Clemmons, NC

#37 Jan 1, 2009
Maxfield wrote:
<quoted text>And I am with both of you - never been on a cruise and now I sure won't. High risk vacation.
Dont let it worry you they have plexiglass side curtains on large parts of the decks and its railed at least 4 ft high you would have to realy try hard to go overboard, its safer than flying or train travel combined.

Since: May 08

Hogtown

#38 Jan 1, 2009
Dr_Dolittle wrote:
<quoted text>
It's called "SLEEPING", maybe you should try it sometime!
Rather amusing.

Since: May 08

Hogtown

#39 Jan 1, 2009
Dr_Dolittle wrote:
<quoted text>
The slantinel is finally saying,, off duty entertainer.

At 12:50 New year's morning, my $ is on "too buzzed, too familiar with the other side of the railing, and foolhardy"
Maxfield

Orlando, FL

#40 Jan 1, 2009
jay from north carolina wrote:
<quoted text>Dont let it worry you they have plexiglass side curtains on large parts of the decks and its railed at least 4 ft high you would have to realy try hard to go overboard, its safer than flying or train travel combined.
How about if the ocean gets rough there is a big wave? Even if they have a lookout, chances of surviving in the ocean or the churning of the ship are slim. Guess if I see Greta Van Sustern on board I know it's all over.
Beth

Houston, TX

#41 Jan 1, 2009
You couldn't pay me to go on a cruise ship. Between the food poisonings, 750+ people viral/flu breakouts and mysterious man/woman over board, one would need their head examined to go. Man/woman overboard happens more than is reported. The cruise companies refuse to accept any responsibilities for ANY FATAL mishaps.

Wanna take a walk on the wild side, take a cruise.
Paranoia

Charlotte, NC

#42 Jan 1, 2009
I've never been on a cruise, can't say I would really care for such a trip, but my god, some of you people are paranoid. You're much more likely to get injured or killed on your drive to the cruise port, than on the cruise itself.
Sololady

Orlando, FL

#44 Jan 1, 2009
"On accident"????

When headlines are phrased like this, what hope is there that our kids will learn proper grammar?

No, I'm not an English teacher. I'm just literate.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Orlando Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 3 min VetnorsGate 1,523,808
News 'Casey Anthony: An American Murder Mystery' rev... 48 min Peet 102
CASEY: Does the State Have the Goods to Convict? (Mar '10) 4 hr Murphey_Law 513,110
News Unemployment benefits in Florida: Questions and... (Feb '09) 17 hr Gill 446
News Missing 5-year-old Florida girl likely was abdu... (Feb '09) 22 hr zazz 98,387
Please read.. Please Fri hanging to hope 4
News Oprah Winfrey says she weighs 200 pounds (Dec '08) Thu silly rabbit 1,085

Orlando Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Orlando Mortgages