Pat Garrity announces retirement

Forward Pat Garrity , the Magic's longest-tenured player, announced his retirement Thursday. Full Story
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
tony

Charlotte, NC

#1 Sep 11, 2008
if he really wanted to thank the Magic he would take redick into retirement with him! Maybe they could start a school for guys who want to learn how to be one dimensional bench warmers
AmpleMan

Winter Park, FL

#2 Sep 11, 2008
I'm glad to see that Garrity was realistic about his NBA career. He still can head to Europe or Russia to pick up another million dollars. This will allow the Magic to add another big in his place. A shame the Magic couldn't land Magloire before the Heat got him. Brian Skinner would have fit too.
AmpleMan

Winter Park, FL

#3 Sep 11, 2008
Reddick is to the Magic what Palin is to McCain, without the lipstick! Something for the fans to get excited about, although it might not live up to the hype.
OTown 1

Lady Lake, FL

#4 Sep 11, 2008
OMG! What a career of riding the bench and stealing paychecks from the Magic and their fans. I never understood why they keep him as long as they did. He must of had something on someone in the organization. There can't be any other reason. Hallelujah he is gone. Nice guy or not
Michael in Ocoee

Apopka, FL

#5 Sep 11, 2008
Made the front page of Yahoo.com ! lol!

Level 1

Since: Mar 07

Location hidden

#6 Sep 11, 2008
OTown 1 wrote:
OMG! What a career of riding the bench and stealing paychecks from the Magic and their fans. I never understood why they keep him as long as they did. He must of had something on someone in the organization. There can't be any other reason. Hallelujah he is gone. Nice guy or not
Injuries ruined his career. Garrity was a big part of the heart and hustle Magic, and a solid rotation player up until suffering a career-debilitating injury in 2003. Even in 04-05 and 05-06 he did a solid job as a backup forward in limited minutes.

As for keeping him as long as they did - the Magic signed him to a fairly respectable 5-year deal in 2002, with a player option for a sixth year last season. The injuries he suffered made him untradeable until last year, when his expiring deal may have been attractive to some, but they couldn't/decided not to move him. What does it matter? Everyone knew he wouldn't be back anyway.
nanningbob

United States

#8 Sep 11, 2008
Who Cares wrote:
Good riddance to a non-talented bum. No Loss there.
This is a classless statement. Garrity was a hard worker who used his limited skills to carve a niche in the NBA. In his prime he was one of the better 3 point shooters in the league. It is too bad injuries shortened his career and made him ineffective the last couple of years. I wish him good luck in whatever adventure life takes him next.

Since: Jul 08

El Paso, TX

#9 Sep 11, 2008
Who is Mike Wilks??????
GAKnight

Mount Juliet, TN

#10 Sep 11, 2008
And libertairians complain about the underpriviledged getting welfare!
LatinJag

Port Charlotte, FL

#11 Sep 11, 2008
Garrity has play well everytime the coach has put him in the floor. I remember when he was the only choice for power foward, he did his best when we had no big man to do the job at the position. I always wonder how he never got called for walking for his quick knee jerk move before he releases the 3 shot. Weird. He was not riding the bench like a few had comment here. He was too valuable to let go. Good sportmanship is the adjective. Wish him well.
magic fans

Orlando, FL

#12 Sep 11, 2008
Thanks for Everthing Mr. Garrity !!!

Since: May 07

Manassas, VA

#13 Sep 11, 2008
nanningbob wrote:
<quoted text>
This is a classless statement. Garrity was a hard worker who used his limited skills to carve a niche in the NBA. In his prime he was one of the better 3 point shooters in the league. It is too bad injuries shortened his career and made him ineffective the last couple of years. I wish him good luck in whatever adventure life takes him next.
A voice of reason, in a storm of stupidity!!! Thanks!!
Mabel

Orange City, FL

#14 Sep 11, 2008
Nanningbob and Deezworld

I agree completely with both of you. He did have a nice 3-pointer "back in the day". I likewise wish him good luck - he's smart enough to have prepared himself for his next venture.
big vern

Summerfield, FL

#15 Sep 11, 2008
thanks for the wonderful years that he had for getting paid for doing nothing, sitting on the bench and shooting bricks every now and then i guess also counts as wonderful, so long pat garrity have a nice life and know that you stole money from the magic. good grief......
big vern

Summerfield, FL

#16 Sep 11, 2008
nanningbob wrote:
<quoted text>
hello nanningbob if you call a nice career maybe two years of a descent shooting percentage then i guess we are all wrong but other than that dude get a clue....loser
VOR

Orlando, FL

#17 Sep 11, 2008
hack ... plain and simple
Jeff

United States

#18 Sep 11, 2008
Thanks PG.
Ryan

El Paso, TX

#19 Sep 11, 2008
These people are not fans they suck, Pat thanks for the professionalism and for the services you did for the community.
chuck

United States

#20 Sep 12, 2008
to all of you that don't know the man, you have missed knowing one special guy.

he gave/gives all he has to everything he does. he is not pretentious and cares about others.

a quality person, Pat Garrity is.
marko

Oviedo, FL

#21 Sep 12, 2008
wow....i liked pat garrity...he was a good player,and class act...

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Orlando Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 6 min Smart Alex 1,152,958
CASEY: Does the State Have the Goods to Convict? (Mar '10) 25 min Mary NY 490,093
Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds ... (Dec '08) 2 hr kal 49,174
Inspiration Lane - Don't Quit (May '09) 4 hr Miles 70,587
Let's Chat (Jan '12) 6 hr Miles 17,702
Scott Mansfield granted new trial (Feb '09) 10 hr Whoah 32
Jodi Arias: Does the state have the goods to co... (Mar '13) 10 hr Mary NY 26,138
Orlando Dating
Find my Match

Orlando People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Orlando News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Orlando

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]

NFL Latest News

Updated 7:18 am PST

CBS Sports 7:18AM
Race to the bottom: Buccaneers have leg up in quest for No. 1 pick