West Hartford Center Has Lost Businesses, But There Have Been A...

There are 89 comments on the Hartford Courant story from Jun 6, 2009, titled West Hartford Center Has Lost Businesses, But There Have Been A.... In it, Hartford Courant reports that:

The retail obituary list the past few months includes MaggieMoo's ice cream shop and Three Dog Bakery, both on Farmington Avenue.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Hartford Courant.

First Prev
of 5
Next Last
fenster

Simsbury, CT

#84 Dec 24, 2009
Two Good Hands wrote:
I'll give you a pretty damn big positive.
When I first moved to Hartford, almost 25 years ago, what I heard and what I observed first-hand about West Hartford was that it was a lily-white, nose-in-the-air town where what little there was that passed for life was in the Center. Friends of mine who are people of color would describe experiences of being "shadowed" by salespeople in WH Center stores and of being stopped by police for "driving while black."
Now, while it may be that Blue Back gets most of the attention, both Elmwood and Park Road have become interesting places to go, with a lively presence of their own. And demographically (much of) West Hartford is now diverse and a community where (generally) people are made to feel welcome.
uh oh, it's the domino theory again. which town will be next to feel the effects of "diversity"? which town's school system will begin to show the declines?
nck

Farmington, CT

#85 Apr 15, 2010
Two Good Hands wrote:
I'll give you a pretty damn big positive.
When I first moved to Hartford, almost 25 years ago, what I heard and what I observed first-hand about West Hartford was that it was a lily-white, nose-in-the-air town where what little there was that passed for life was in the Center. Friends of mine who are people of color would describe experiences of being "shadowed" by salespeople in WH Center stores and of being stopped by police for "driving while black."
Now, while it may be that Blue Back gets most of the attention, both Elmwood and Park Road have become interesting places to go, with a lively presence of their own. And demographically (much of) West Hartford is now diverse and a community where (generally) people are made to feel welcome.
WHAT color EXACTLY were these friends of yours? Uhmm......shhhhhh..BLACK, MAYBE?? Say it...BLACK PEOPLEEEEEEEE....ohhhhhhhhh!!! How backwards!!!! Sheesh, effin unbelievable.
Questionable

North Haven, CT

#86 Apr 15, 2010
Is the quality of a town really measured by the quantity of stores?

Why do we need so many stores anyway? Please think of Hartford, how beautiful it used to be. But the people who ran it didn't care about beautiful historic buildings. Dollars came first.

West Hartford, you have to preserve your architecture.
Jack

London, UK

#90 Apr 26, 2012
try http://www.4dplanning.com - Architect Planning Drawings Planning Permission Consultants
Had It

Manchester, MA

#92 Sep 29, 2012
If you are trying to buy or sell a house, stay away from a real estate agent named John Morgan (of West Hartford). The dude is hyper, immature and whacked. He seriously needs help.
american

East Hartford, CT

#93 Sep 29, 2012
Cedric wrote:
How about free parking if you purchase something for twenty dollars or more? It's absurd to have to pay for parking in order to have the "privilege" of spending your hard earned money in West Hartford center. I can go to the same stores elsewhere and not pay a dime to park my car. Wake up West Hartford! You need to compete with other areas or get ready to see plenty more empty stores in the future.
they really DO need to stop the Paid parking situation.
love west hartford but don't want to spend money just to browse or shop.
bad enuf hartford charges u an arm & leg for parking.
american

East Hartford, CT

#94 Sep 29, 2012
nck wrote:
<quoted text>
WHAT color EXACTLY were these friends of yours? Uhmm......shhhhhh..BLACK, MAYBE?? Say it...BLACK PEOPLEEEEEEEE....ohhhhhhhhh!!! How backwards!!!! Sheesh, effin unbelievable.
well i wudn't want to be stopped while driving cuz I was black too.

But now, especially in Manchester & East Hartford the shoe is on the other foot instead!
Whites r being mistreated BIG TIME by the police in these two towns, and the cops r kissed the blacks backsides, even if they're committing dangerous crimes.
There r SO many businesses now in East Hartford & Manchester where white patrons are literally treated like Dirt by their staff, especially the black employees!
That's why I wish West Hartford would get rid of their parking meters.
Our family wud ratger shop West Hartford than those other two hostile towns!
Chris Mc kevin

Manchester, UK

#95 Oct 28, 2012
its not always true...
http://www.manchesterplanners.co.uk
I believe
Loreen Auyeung

Crownsville, MD

#98 Sep 7, 2013
the best fr ee online dating website! video chat, send and receive messages, and flirts all free!! check it out! http://tinyurl.com/lopwp9x

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 5
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Orlando Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 2 min GOPidiots 1,231,703
last post wins! (Jul '11) 9 min Wiley_Kyote 5,714
Inspiration Lane - Don't Quit (May '09) 21 min Wiley_Kyote 71,835
News Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds ... (Dec '08) 25 min Environmentalist PhD 53,443
CASEY: Does the State Have the Goods to Convict? (Mar '10) 31 min Riverside 497,943
Song Title Game 1 hr Doobie Time 109
News Missing 5-year-old Florida girl likely was abdu... (Feb '09) 3 hr Anne 97,251
More from around the web

Orlando People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]