West Hartford Center Has Lost Busines...

West Hartford Center Has Lost Businesses, But There Have Been A...

There are 89 comments on the Hartford Courant story from Jun 6, 2009, titled West Hartford Center Has Lost Businesses, But There Have Been A.... In it, Hartford Courant reports that:

The retail obituary list the past few months includes MaggieMoo's ice cream shop and Three Dog Bakery, both on Farmington Avenue.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Hartford Courant.

lew day

Hartford, CT

#21 Jun 7, 2009
Eddy Merckx wrote:
For all you doom and gloom types , I dare you to visit the center or the square on any week night between 6pm and 11pm, the place is packed with cars on the streets and the ramp garages at blue back are full as well, on week ends the place has even higher traffic.
You haters who want West Hartford to be what it was in 1950 are mightily confused, the town has grown in popularity and the demand to live here is extremely high, Those that live here want and demand this level of business and retail, and you doom and gloom folk are in the bottom 3% of the population when it comes to long term decision making on a town wide scale, you folk are extremely short sighted and very knee jerk in your out look, every time one of you speaks you confirms this.
Wow if anyone is reactionary pal it's you. calling people 'haters' simply because they disagree with you or happen to voice an opinion differing from you is incredibly short sighted AND knee jerk. Also, if all those people don't buy anything in WH center, it's not retail. In closing, try using spell check--you'll come off much more convincingly if you can spell properly.
Stan Simpson is an idiot

West Hartford, CT

#22 Jun 7, 2009
There are over 20 retail spots open right now in the West Hartford Center.$40 triple net rates are killing the small businesses, and they are moving to Park Road or closing.

The Center looks like it did in the early eighties, when the rents were about $20-$25 a square foot. All of the charm went out of the center, Hilliards, Army Navy store, plus a lot of other small merchants.

The turn around came when the Elbow room got rid of the crappy former restaurant, Grant, Bricco and Max's soon followed, and the people started coming for the food. Things were going well, other shops started opening, and the Center was again a "hot spot"

Mahoney (I think it is Irish for A-Hole) started jacking up the rents, and got the other land owners to agree to hardline on about $40 triple net. Mahoney has single handedly screwed up the center, now renting to Banks and other corporate types, so the foot traffic dies and the charm is gone. Blue back is not have the bad effect as much as Mahoney is with the rents.

Mediza is 100% closed, the Jewelry shop next to Central Optica is trouble, Nelson Salon is about to get a big increase in rent, Stone Fish Gallery just closed, I have know idea how Munsons sells enough candy to cover rent, Flemings is going to leave and become an Outback Steak House.

The 10% open space is a joke, if you look at pure retail spots open, and open for a long time, it is probably double that. Not sure if they factor in South Main Street, where Radio shack is there are two or three open spots there, plus two spots at 29 South Main Street (where Aable Antiques and Household Finance were).

Things will get worse, just like in the 80s, the rents will come down, landlords will lose buildings, and new land lords will buy them and hopefully not get involved with Mahoney
lew day

Hartford, CT

#23 Jun 7, 2009
Joe Schmo wrote:
<quoted text>
Please elaborate on Blue Back being a success. I do frequent a few of the stores and I use the gym and medical offices, but many of the retailers are not doing well. There is a major restaurant space that is still empty. JD's Cosmetics closed. Au Bon Pain is on there way out.
frankly there are WAY too many restaurants in WH center and many will die before they all become MAX derivatives
helent

West Hartford, CT

#25 Jun 7, 2009
so very well said!
Stan Simpson is an idiot wrote:
There are over 20 retail spots open right now in the West Hartford Center.$40 triple net rates are killing the small businesses, and they are moving to Park Road or closing.
The Center looks like it did in the early eighties, when the rents were about $20-$25 a square foot. All of the charm went out of the center, Hilliards, Army Navy store, plus a lot of other small merchants.
The turn around came when the Elbow room got rid of the crappy former restaurant, Grant, Bricco and Max's soon followed, and the people started coming for the food. Things were going well, other shops started opening, and the Center was again a "hot spot"
Mahoney (I think it is Irish for A-Hole) started jacking up the rents, and got the other land owners to agree to hardline on about $40 triple net. Mahoney has single handedly screwed up the center, now renting to Banks and other corporate types, so the foot traffic dies and the charm is gone. Blue back is not have the bad effect as much as Mahoney is with the rents.
Mediza is 100% closed, the Jewelry shop next to Central Optica is trouble, Nelson Salon is about to get a big increase in rent, Stone Fish Gallery just closed, I have know idea how Munsons sells enough candy to cover rent, Flemings is going to leave and become an Outback Steak House.
The 10% open space is a joke, if you look at pure retail spots open, and open for a long time, it is probably double that. Not sure if they factor in South Main Street, where Radio shack is there are two or three open spots there, plus two spots at 29 South Main Street (where Aable Antiques and Household Finance were).
Things will get worse, just like in the 80s, the rents will come down, landlords will lose buildings, and new land lords will buy them and hopefully not get involved with Mahoney
WestHartford

United States

#26 Jun 7, 2009
the economy didnt discourage buying, the ridicilous "retail" prices at w.hartford center discouraged buying.
Unhappy customer

Manchester, CT

#27 Jun 7, 2009
Hope this isn't too far off-topic: I drove 15 miles to buy 3 boxes of nice, expensive, blank invitations at Bennett's. Used one box - the cards were perforated at the fold so they split in half when you opened them - so I returned the other 2 boxes, 1 week later. I was informed by a non-smiling, non-sympathetic clerk that I could get store credit only, even though it had only been a week, I had not opened them, and I had a receipt that showed I spent over $100 that day. I don't care if someone asks me if I need help, I care about respect & gratitude for my business, which I don't think I got. I wouldn't be going back, except I have to spend the store credit slip.
Lew

Pembroke, MA

#28 Jun 7, 2009
The parking at BBC is the deal breaker. Validate with purchase. In any case put it on a par with the surface parking in the rest of the center.
John Bodnar

Windsor Locks, CT

#29 Jun 7, 2009
Simsbury_Grrl wrote:
To Steve Goodman - owner Bennets
-
I was in your store for 30 minutes on Sat morning and not one time did one of your staff come by to see if I needed any help. You have unique and beautiful merchandise, but your staff leaves a lot to be desired. This is not the first time that I have run into this situation at your establishment and you really need to change your customer service levels if you want to survive.
Mr. Goodman is always friendly and helpful.
If you are disabled or have diffuculty
walking,Mr.Goodman will walk around the entire store and basement to find the one item you need and bring it to the counter.
It appears the rest of the staff
does not care.
Dick Johnson

Glastonbury, CT

#30 Jun 7, 2009
I agree with the comment about parking. I expect to pay for parking in Manhattan not West Hartford. It's a hassle to find a free spot and quite frankly there isnt anything in West Hartford that I can't find elsewhere.
But

East Hampton, CT

#31 Jun 7, 2009
I have been a very vocal anti-BBS WH resident since day one. I still am. It sucks. First, the parking is ludicrous. The library is the only place worth going to, as it's "unique" in a way. I'm fairly well-off and Flemings is still a joke. So is the theater... Does anyone ever go to that theater? Why? Remember the old days of being lied to about how it would be an "artsy" theater? Ahh, good times.

Chain bookstore, chain fastfood, empty restaurants "coming soon" for years, chain sandwich shop, chain kids shoe store, chain chocolates - all stuff I can go to Westfarms or Canton or S. Windsor for FREE.(Ok, if you're a sucker for Cheesecake Craptory, more power to you; note, the David Glass cheesecake factory is in Bloomfield and his stuff is 100x better.)

The thing that kills me is that I PAID FOR THIS DOOMED FAILURE. I'll never get over that.
What to do

AOL

#32 Jun 7, 2009
But wrote:
I have been a very vocal anti-BBS WH resident since day one. I still am. It sucks. First, the parking is ludicrous. The library is the only place worth going to, as it's "unique" in a way. I'm fairly well-off and Flemings is still a joke. So is the theater... Does anyone ever go to that theater? Why? Remember the old days of being lied to about how it would be an "artsy" theater? Ahh, good times.
Chain bookstore, chain fastfood, empty restaurants "coming soon" for years, chain sandwich shop, chain kids shoe store, chain chocolates - all stuff I can go to Westfarms or Canton or S. Windsor for FREE.(Ok, if you're a sucker for Cheesecake Craptory, more power to you; note, the David Glass cheesecake factory is in Bloomfield and his stuff is 100x better.)
The thing that kills me is that I PAID FOR THIS DOOMED FAILURE. I'll never get over that.
So true, yet there is an idiot that calls you a WH "hater" and that 99% are pleased with the result. Sounds like one of our no nothing elected officials like Coursey or our Mayor.
I want it to be a success within the framework of all of WH not at the expense of WH!
christiane

AOL

#33 Jun 7, 2009
Benny wrote:
<quoted text>
You don't have to pay. Just do what people who work in the center do: Park a little ways up Farmington ave, or on one of the side streets. Most of them have a 2 hour limit, but who wants to be there that long anyway?
hey benny! i hope it's you...we still need to talk about web advertising!
by the way..mediza IS closed...
sleepless in wh

West Hartford, CT

#34 Jun 7, 2009
Notes from a lifelong resident:

1. Customer service at Bennett's has always been notoriously bad. I stopped shopping there years ago.

2. The Counter, Elbow Room, Cheesecake Factory - all doing consistently good business

3. Barnes & Noble at BBS - for a chain, this place is remarkably well-stocked with more than just the bestselling schlock; booksellers very helpful & SMART. They will validate parking if you spend over a certain amount

4. Chocolate = good all-purpose, always-welcome gift, not too expensive, so no surprise chocolate stores do well in bad economy

5. If paying a couple of bucks to park means the typical Walmart shopper will stay out of WHCenter, all well and good

6. Reigning Cats & Dogs, A Hair Place, Plimpton's, bead store, Whole Foods, Bruegger's, many more - all great places staffed by helpful, smart people

7. People from other towns chose to come here to shop and eat, even in this economy. It's tough all over. WH still has more going for it than most other towns/cities.
joe

Milford, MA

#35 Jun 7, 2009
when does flemings become and outback?
MrLogical

Andover, CT

#36 Jun 7, 2009
Mario wrote:
<quoted text>
If he was 8 years old, he wouldn't know who Eddie Merckx is
Or, who Eddie Merckx was...
MrLogical

Andover, CT

#37 Jun 7, 2009
sleepless in wh wrote:
1. Customer service at Bennett's has always been notoriously bad. I stopped shopping there years ago.
2. The Counter, Elbow Room, Cheesecake Factory - all doing consistently good business
3. Barnes & Noble at BBS - for a chain, this place is remarkably well-stocked with more than just the bestselling schlock; booksellers very helpful & SMART. They will validate parking if you spend over a certain amount
4. Chocolate = good all-purpose, always-welcome gift, not too expensive, so no surprise chocolate stores do well in bad economy
5. If paying a couple of bucks to park means the typical Walmart shopper will stay out of WHCenter, all well and good
6. Reigning Cats & Dogs, A Hair Place, Plimpton's, bead store, Whole Foods, Bruegger's, many more - all great places staffed by helpful, smart people
7. People from other towns chose to come here to shop and eat, even in this economy. It's tough all over. WH still has more going for it than most other towns/cities.
"If paying a couple of bucks to park means the typical Walmart shopper will stay out of WHCenter, all well and good."

My, aren't we a bit snooty...
GEO

United States

#38 Jun 7, 2009
W Htfd Yaaaay wrote:
Uh, the Center is doing ok and Blue Back is a success. For the worst recession since the great depression, 90% occupancy is pretty damn good. There are people that will slam the Center and BBC for petty reasons, but in the grand scheme, 99% of the town thinks they are doing just fine. You haters can go back o your griping now.
Your somewhat correct. First of all "What recession"?- Listen up Amigo, The Rich are still Rich and the Poor are still Poor. Our so called recession is just the super wealthy didnt get their way. Yes I do agree their is alot of Liberal complainers in Whtfd, Isnt there? Even the upper middle class dont want to pay the taxes anymore. But they will spend $300 bucks on a pair of shoes or a Coach pocketbook! Its all about me isnt it?
GEO

United States

#39 Jun 7, 2009
sleepless in wh wrote:
Read this persons #4 comment - Did I need to say anymore about many Residents in the City in my last comment? Your just above them are we not Pal? Wow they just step right in dont they? Lol
El Toro

United States

#40 Jun 7, 2009
But wrote:
Blah, blah, blah, blah, blah! Stop your whining.

It is unbelievable how you people can not stop blaming all the towns problems on BBS. Get over it already.
Sleeper-ism

Hartford, CT

#41 Jun 7, 2009

Wow - what a-hole you are. You spend money to actually stay away from the average Walmart shopper. You must be a better, cleaner, smarter and more decent person than them...right..? You don't want to be next to someone who chooses to shop at WalMart? Are you serious. I don't want to ever be next to someone like you based on your character - not your socio-economic status moron.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Orlando Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 3 min Cheech the Conser... 1,548,163
News Missing 5-year-old Florida girl likely was abdu... (Feb '09) 7 hr zazz 98,419
___Justice For Caylee___Cont. (Feb '10) 7 hr zazz 25,600
CASEY: Does the State Have the Goods to Convict? (Mar '10) 9 hr Murphey_Law 513,190
News Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds ... (Dec '08) 11 hr Patriot AKA Bozo 63,845
The Inspirational Millionaire - An Orlando Risi... Thu Inspirationalmill... 1
Rising star in the Luxury - High End Market Thu Inspirationalmill... 1

Orlando Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Orlando Mortgages