West Hartford Center Has Lost Businesses, But There Have Been A...

The retail obituary list the past few months includes MaggieMoo's ice cream shop and Three Dog Bakery, both on Farmington Avenue. Full Story
First Prev
of 5
Next Last
Simsbury_Grrl

Bridgeport, CT

#1 Jun 7, 2009
To Steve Goodman - owner Bennets
-
I was in your store for 30 minutes on Sat morning and not one time did one of your staff come by to see if I needed any help. You have unique and beautiful merchandise, but your staff leaves a lot to be desired. This is not the first time that I have run into this situation at your establishment and you really need to change your customer service levels if you want to survive.
Waldo 312

Marietta, GA

#2 Jun 7, 2009
Wait a minute! Blue Back was suposed to bring the crowds to West Hartford Center. It didn't. Now the taxpayers are stuck with the bill.

Heh! I know what will! How about clean government and low crime. Top that off with city workers not dipping into the till for all they can get. That'll bring them back. But it isn't going to happen.
Cedric

West Hartford, CT

#3 Jun 7, 2009
How about free parking if you purchase something for twenty dollars or more? It's absurd to have to pay for parking in order to have the "privilege" of spending your hard earned money in West Hartford center. I can go to the same stores elsewhere and not pay a dime to park my car. Wake up West Hartford! You need to compete with other areas or get ready to see plenty more empty stores in the future.
STUCK IN CT

West Hartford, CT

#4 Jun 7, 2009
OF COURSE IT HAS.IT THINKS ITS BEVERLY HILLS.THE RENT
MONEY IS RIDICULOUS,BUT SO IS BLUE BACK,AND MOST OTHER THINGS IN THIS TOWN.ABOUT TIME FOR ANOTHER FIREHOUSE ISNT IT??
What to do

AOL

#5 Jun 7, 2009
Unfortunately, we as a community have been led down this path with very little forthought. Our Mayor and Council have had it their way to long. They promote pay and benefits that very few common folk could ever get in the private sector at the same time adding glitz and plastic while elminating services and other programs.
You can't tell a book by it's cover. That describes the new West Hartford.
Time for change don't you think.
W Htfd Yaaaay

West Hartford, CT

#6 Jun 7, 2009
Uh, the Center is doing ok and Blue Back is a success. For the worst recession since the great depression, 90% occupancy is pretty damn good. There are people that will slam the Center and BBC for petty reasons, but in the grand scheme, 99% of the town thinks they are doing just fine. You haters can go back o your griping now.
huh

West Hartford, CT

#7 Jun 7, 2009
Waldo 312 wrote:
Wait a minute! Blue Back was suposed to bring the crowds to West Hartford Center. It didn't. Now the taxpayers are stuck with the bill.
Heh! I know what will! How about clean government and low crime. Top that off with city workers not dipping into the till for all they can get. That'll bring them back. But it isn't going to happen.
I guess I'm missing how "clean government" and "city workers not dipping..." will inspire people to shop at Blue Back?
"Hey, I hear West Hartford has a really honest government and city employees who aren't greedy! Let's go to Crate and Barrel!"
Joe Schmo

West Hartford, CT

#8 Jun 7, 2009
W Htfd Yaaaay wrote:
Uh, the Center is doing ok and Blue Back is a success. For the worst recession since the great depression, 90% occupancy is pretty damn good. There are people that will slam the Center and BBC for petty reasons, but in the grand scheme, 99% of the town thinks they are doing just fine. You haters can go back o your griping now.
Please elaborate on Blue Back being a success. I do frequent a few of the stores and I use the gym and medical offices, but many of the retailers are not doing well. There is a major restaurant space that is still empty. JD's Cosmetics closed. Au Bon Pain is on there way out.
dr howard

West Hartford, CT

#9 Jun 7, 2009
huge west hartford center rent increases are to blame. it is a good attractive location and its appeal to retailers comes as no surprise. the gigantic monthly nut one has to crack before even thinking about a profit pushes prices to shoppers beyond reason. you have to sell a lot of ice cream cones or greeting cards to cover your costs so price points get higher. maggie moos just couldn't sell enough $5 ice cream cones. even the affluent have a point beyond which they realize a purchase is just stupid.

its not even close to over. the center will lose another 10% of its tenants in the next year or so. replacement tenants will be few and far between. when rents come down to the point where it allows a business to sell goods at reasonable prices, things will improve.

--
Eddy Merckx

Wallingford, CT

#10 Jun 7, 2009
For all you doom and gloom types , I dare you to visit the center or the square on any week night between 6pm and 11pm, the place is packed with cars on the streets and the ramp garages at blue back are full as well, on week ends the place has even higher traffic.

You haters who want West Hartford to be what it was in 1950 are mightily confused, the town has grown in popularity and the demand to live here is extreamly high, Those that live here want and demand this level of business and retail, and you doom and gloom folk are in the bottom 3% of the population when it comes to long term decision making on a town wide scale, you folk are extreamly short sighted and very knee jerk in your out look, every time one of you speaks you confirms this.
Yup

Hartford, CT

#11 Jun 7, 2009
Eddy Merckx wrote:
For all you doom and gloom types , I dare you to visit the center or the square on any week night between 6pm and 11pm, the place is packed with cars on the streets and the ramp garages at blue back are full as well, on week ends the place has even higher traffic.
You haters who want West Hartford to be what it was in 1950 are mightily confused, the town has grown in popularity and the demand to live here is extreamly high, Those that live here want and demand this level of business and retail, and you doom and gloom folk are in the bottom 3% of the population when it comes to long term decision making on a town wide scale, you folk are extreamly short sighted and very knee jerk in your out look, every time one of you speaks you confirms this.
The "haters" just salivate when they see a story like this....
Northern Lights

Wethersfield, CT

#12 Jun 7, 2009
I hope things turn around, but the town is still healing from the very divisive BBS project, compounded by the economic crisis. Things were much brighter beforehand, with hopes for a less dense development that would not have swallowed up part of the town's municipal grounds dashed by the done deal. Today's symbolic caricature of the old town hall, once declared eligible for listing on the National Registry before it was destroyed and by a multi-colored faux brick steak house/movie theater, with Noah Webster statue bedecked in strobe lights, is a vulgar reminder of what was destroyed along with part of the town's civic memory. A realignment process continues and it will take time. Good luck West Hartfordites, you've got a great town with so much going for it and deserves a resurgence. Perhaps in a few years the dust will be more settled, memories dimmed and the economy will be booming again.
dr howard

West Hartford, CT

#13 Jun 7, 2009
Eddy Merckx wrote:
is everyone who disagrees with you a "hater"? are you like 8 years old?
Mario

East Hartford, CT

#14 Jun 7, 2009
dr howard wrote:
<quoted text>
is everyone who disagrees with you a "hater"? are you like 8 years old?
If he was 8 years old, he wouldn't know who Eddie Merckx is
JBidwell

United States

#15 Jun 7, 2009
Simsbury_Grrl wrote:
-
I was in your store for 30 minutes on Sat morning and not one time did one of your staff come by to see if I needed any help.
Why would someone ask if you need help in a card store? I think most shoppers would find that annoying. If you needed help, did you ask?
lew day

Southington, CT

#16 Jun 7, 2009
if you want more traffic downtown, try dealing with the parking and traffic issues that have plagued wh center since i moved here in 1979. also perhaps if the land barons currently charging rent at manhattan levels to charge realistic rates and/or actually maintain these buildings
lew day

Southington, CT

#17 Jun 7, 2009
Cedric wrote:
How about free parking if you purchase something for twenty dollars or more? It's absurd to have to pay for parking in order to have the "privilege" of spending your hard earned money in West Hartford center. I can go to the same stores elsewhere and not pay a dime to park my car. Wake up West Hartford! You need to compete with other areas or get ready to see plenty more empty stores in the future.
HERE, HERE Cedric!!!
lew day

Southington, CT

#18 Jun 7, 2009
Mario wrote:
<quoted text>
If he was 8 years old, he wouldn't know who Eddie Merckx is
wow. way to COMPLETELY avoid the issue. comments this obtuse remind me of Congress
lew day

Southington, CT

#19 Jun 7, 2009
W Htfd Yaaaay wrote:
if by petty you mean such a pain in the b**t to get in and out and high parking fees as well as premium prices you are correct. And just because someone 'gripes' doesn't make them a 'hater'. With an attitude like that, perhaps you can run for congress and spend all day pointing your finger across the aisle. Pretend to be open minded
Benny

Hartford, CT

#20 Jun 7, 2009
Cedric wrote:
You don't have to pay. Just do what people who work in the center do: Park a little ways up Farmington ave, or on one of the side streets. Most of them have a 2 hour limit, but who wants to be there that long anyway?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 5
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Orlando Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 9 min shinningelectr0n 1,154,626
CASEY: Does the State Have the Goods to Convict? (Mar '10) 16 min H A N S 490,302
Missing 5-year-old Florida girl likely was abdu... (Feb '09) 40 min zazz 96,678
Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds ... (Dec '08) 52 min IBdaMann 49,256
Review: ABC Used Auto Parts $$ cash for junk ca... 7 hr maryjaneprincton 1
No New Layoffs Planned Now, CIGNA Says (Nov '08) 10 hr ironic 7
Lifestyles 11 hr Lookn for fun 1
Orlando Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web

Orlando People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Orlando News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Orlando

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]