Child suicides: Recent suicides put spotlight on preventing tra...

Once considered taboo, childhood suicide and depression are being talked about with increasing candor, a social movement that became especially relevant last month when three Illinois children - a 10-year-old and two 11-year-olds - took their own lives in succession. Full Story
First Prev
of 4
Next Last
Politically Incorrect

Mercer, PA

#61 Mar 31, 2009
Above all else, parents, grandparents, friends, or whoever you are...as hard as it is not to, or even unintentional, DON'T MAKE IT ABOUT YOURSELF!

Look at it this way:

If your child feels the need to end his/her life, and trie's to tell you about it, don't take the "what will people say" attitude. Maybe your own childs suicide will make you think twice, the next time you judge a parent, when their kid does the same. Imagine, if he/she decides not to confide, because of past experiences, and actually attempts, or succeeds, what the neighbors will be sayin' then? THEN, perhaps, DESERVINGLY SO, IT'LL BE ALL ABOUT YOU!
Oakton parent

Wilsonville, AL

#62 Mar 31, 2009
JAMc wrote:
<quoted text>
Thanks for the "tip," but one of the FIRST things in my post accounted for you being a parent with children at the school. Hence the tone of your posts and the bias. Which, as I've already said, I get.
I understand that children are capable of some heinous things, including committing suicide. I also know for a fact, however, that coroner's and police officers make mistakes when it comes to suicide determinations.
Finally, I'm sure that the police and school board held meetings to de-brief Oakton parents about certain conclusions and details, but don't think that means you know ALL of the details. You know what they wanted you to know and what the police and school officials felt would be sufficient to assuage the fears and concerns of all affected.
You can be angry, call me a "liar," whatever suits you. But, I'm entitled to my opinion and you're entitled to yours. You choose to believe the "facts" as they were told to you, and I choose to believe that things may have happened a bit differently. You weren't in that bathroom and neither was I, so the FACT is that we don't know what happened there.
Anyone knows that you are entitled to an opinion. But an opinion based on hunches and "smells" (word previously used by another poster) is not worth anything.

Your information comes from the newspaper. News flash: you have much, much less of the entire story.

I'm only angry because you, and others like you, have no problem trashing a fine school, its students, teachers and administrators.

Perhaps you should go join one of those conspiracy web sites. It seems that that's what you want to see in every situation.

I am not just a parent who sends their child to the school and phones it in. I am involved and much more aware of the FACTS of this situation than you will ever be from reading the newspaper.

You should leave it alone because you cannot prevail on your baseless arguments. Once again, I invite you to contact the local police with your hunches if you believe that they will be helpful. But you know that you won't because you'd rather just type away and throw mud with no regard for whose reputation you are trashing with NO facts.
Mom of four

Flossmoor, IL

#63 Mar 31, 2009
From reading the comments there seems to be 1) a lot of ignorance surrounding suicide and 2)a lack of empathy.

Might explain why kids don't come forward...

Since: Oct 07

Chicago, IL

#64 Apr 1, 2009
Oakton parent: You know nothing about me, where I get information, "what [I] want to see in every situation," etc. You chose to put your angle and "connection" to this particlar case out there - you know nothing about me and/or mine. And I haven't "trashed" anyone, but, again, you're so angry that anyone who expresses any doubt in the version of the facts that were related to you is the enemy.

This is not a forum about Lewis, specifically, so I will stop using it as such. Again, on the topic of the article: I have no doubt that pre-pubescent children are capable of committing, and do commit, suicide, and I pray that adults will be diligent to heed the warning signs before it's too late.
Politically Incorrect

Mercer, PA

#65 Apr 1, 2009
I know it's a longshot, but if we all could find just ONE teen or older, who has made a positive, noted dent in our communitie's, who has also suffered from bouts with depression and suicidal thoughts, maybe the kids who think they, themselves are no one special, and have no present/future to look forward to, would listen to them. Kid's need, so badly, to know they aren't a novelty. Plenty of other kids share their fears.

It's a LONG way from say...10, to adulthood/success if you're a teen/younger. Kids, don't equate themselves w/adults...someone being paid to stand on a stage, in a starched collar,'n talk them "down off of the roof they might be on". Kid's/adults who have suicidal thoughts, don't look to the distant future. They consider getting to the next day, then the next..and on and on...a major accomplishment.
gitel

Marlborough, CT

#66 Apr 1, 2009
Thank you to Ginny Neuckranz who channelled her grief in a direction that may save lives. I was also happy the article mentioned the need for involvement of the faith community. As a psychiatrist, many people tell me that if not for their belief, they would have suicided. It fascinates me that this was a stronger deterrent than knowing they would leave behind devastated children, parents or spouse who they'd rationalize would be better off without them
Lily

Chicago, IL

#67 Apr 1, 2009
Bravo Tribune for calling attention to an issue lots of people don't want to talk about -- especially in wealthy communities.
Politically Incorrect

Mercer, PA

#68 Apr 1, 2009
gitel wrote:
Thank you to Ginny Neuckranz who channelled her grief in a direction that may save lives. I was also happy the article mentioned the need for involvement of the faith community. As a psychiatrist, many people tell me that if not for their belief, they would have suicided. It fascinates me that this was a stronger deterrent than knowing they would leave behind devastated children, parents or spouse who they'd rationalize would be better off without them
Was their faith a comfort to them, or were they afraid to end their life, for fear that suicide IS the worst sin one can commit? I guess, either way, it ended up being a blessing.
Oakton parent

Yorkville, IL

#69 Apr 3, 2009
JAMc wrote:
Oakton parent: You know nothing about me, where I get information, "what [I] want to see in every situation," etc. You chose to put your angle and "connection" to this particlar case out there - you know nothing about me and/or mine. And I haven't "trashed" anyone, but, again, you're so angry that anyone who expresses any doubt in the version of the facts that were related to you is the enemy.
This is not a forum about Lewis, specifically, so I will stop using it as such. Again, on the topic of the article: I have no doubt that pre-pubescent children are capable of committing, and do commit, suicide, and I pray that adults will be diligent to heed the warning signs before it's too late.
I am not angry. I am exasperated with people who continue to spout nonsense without any connection to what is going on. Hours and hours and hours were spent investigating. The boy was a 5th grader -- and 5th grade is the oldest class in the school. He was an athlete. There is a history that does not need to be brought out here.

But those who know nothing about the situation (except the half-truths from the newspaper) feel so very enlightened. The only enemy is those who choose to see evil in others, including young children.

How did your call with the Evanston Police go? Did they support your hunches and conspiracy theories to reopen the investigation?

I didn't think so. The children of Oakton School, their teachers, their principal and their families have already been through enough without the buzz, buzz, buzz of baseless rumors that some of those children were cruel enough to have caused the death a 5th grade boy. That's what your argument is.

Let the child rest in peace and allow his schoolmates to heal from this horrible experience.
rebecca

Crewe, UK

#70 Apr 4, 2009
Why do kids comit suicide?Maby someone is paying them to comit suicide!!Hope not.
Politically Incorrect

Allison Park, PA

#71 Apr 4, 2009
rebecca wrote:
Why do kids comit suicide?Maby someone is paying them to comit suicide!!Hope not.
My theroy is that they never see themselves as smart enough, tall enough, thin enough, handsome/pretty enough. If you don't have the newest game system, or the newest shoes/clothes/outerwear, you feel you/other material people, feel you're not as good as those who do have all those things, and more. If you don't excel at something available to you (sports), you're not as good as those who do...and on and on and.....

The phrase "always room for improvement" has taken on a whole new meaning in regard to the last generation. Sometimes, you're just as good as you're ever gonna be....which isn't always a bad thing, imo.
interested

Gurnee, IL

#72 Apr 5, 2009
What does your rant have to do with the above article on child suicides? It really sounds like you have some issues that you need to deal with and just decided to unleash them here.
interested

Gurnee, IL

#73 Apr 5, 2009
Sorry if it wasn't clear, I was responding to "therapist"
Becky

Birmingham, AL

#74 Apr 6, 2009
rosco wrote:
How many deaths and suicides are guns used in? Perhaps its time to make these weapons too expensive to own or buy. Say a 50% tax on the sale of weapons and the ammo used for them.
Well... you asked.

U.S. Suicide Statistics (2005)
Suicide Methods

Method Percent of Total (32,439 suicides) Number of Suicides
Firearms
52.1% 17.002
Hanging, strangulation, suffocation
22.2% 7,248
Poisons
17.6% 5,744
All other methods
8.1% 2,643

http://www.suicide.org/suicide-statistics.htm...
Paxton

Czech Republic

#75 Sep 24, 2013
I have ordered 2 times from this website PILLSMEDSHOP. COM . I called yesterday the customer care and asked for a discount as i was about to order twice the regular amount.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Orlando Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 14 min RoxLo 1,115,129
Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds ... (Dec '08) 21 min LessHypeMoreFact 47,002
CASEY: Does the State Have the Goods to Convict? (Mar '10) 22 min EXECUTE KID KILLE... 488,220
County jails: Commissaries offer inmates a rang... (May '09) 2 hr ur an ass 108
Missing 5-year-old Florida girl likely was abdu... (Feb '09) 5 hr zazz 96,464
keep a word----drop a word (Feb '11) 7 hr The Real Missy 17,111
Alphabet Game (Apr '12) 8 hr Games Champ Riggies 9,087

Orlando Jobs

Orlando People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Orlando News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Orlando

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]