Couple don't like friend's cooking

Full story: Chicago Tribune

Dear Amy: My husband and I are very friendly with a couple whom we enjoy very much.
Comments
41 - 53 of 53 Comments Last updated Mar 8, 2014
First Prev
of 3
Next Last
Mia

Chicago, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 20, 2008

AngelaMN wrote:
<quoted text>
I should have saved my comment until I read your entire post.
Mia, today I needed this humor more than anything. Layoffs and office closings this week at work, my friend snagged the cute guy I had my eye on, and I left my debit card in the ATM in downtown Minneapolis tonight, so I have to change things like... my mortgage autopay.
Please be funny tomorrow as well. Thank you in advance for your cooperation.
~Mgmt
Sometimes I'm on. I just thought how classically male: "What, am I supposed to run and fetch for you two days out of every month? Haven't you been living just fine with this since you were 14?"

But is that attitude any more offensive that the gym teachers? "Sit-ups. 50 sit-ups will work that right out!"
MsPixie

Black River Falls, WI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 21, 2008

Mia wrote:
<quoted text>
Sometimes I'm on. I just thought how classically male: "What, am I supposed to run and fetch for you two days out of every month? Haven't you been living just fine with this since you were 14?"
But is that attitude any more offensive that the gym teachers? "Sit-ups. 50 sit-ups will work that right out!"
Are we quite sure it was even her period? People with Chron's (my boyfriend) or ulcerative colitis (my mother) regularly get terrible cramps, and my mom says that before she started getting treated for it, the pain was worse than labor contractions.

Either way--OUCH. If it is her period, I think your assessment is totally on. That sounds like a really common, "ganz typisch" male response.:P
Lucy

Montclair, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 21, 2008

LW2- If your spouse is already IN the kitchen and you ask politely for them to bring you something while they're up, it's pretty darn rude and selfish if they refuse, cramps or no. Little things like this make or break a marriage.
MsPixie

Black River Falls, WI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 21, 2008

Lucy wrote:
LW2- If your spouse is already IN the kitchen and you ask politely for them to bring you something while they're up, it's pretty darn rude and selfish if they refuse, cramps or no. Little things like this make or break a marriage.
That's kind of what I thought. I usually compare these letters to how my parents act around one another, and I can't imagine him not making her something while he's up. H ell, I've seen him rush out at 9:45 at night to make it to Dairy Queen because his wife and two daughters really, really wanted ice cream, but mom was sick.
mimi

Seattle, WA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 21, 2008

LW1 Suck it up. That's what friendships are about. Either that or just don't accept dinner invitations anymore.

LW2 I totally understand bad cramps, I get them every month. For the first day I do nothing for anyone else, they are all big enough to take care of themselves. However, I CAN get food for myself.

I did have a husband once who wouldn't do anything for me no matter how hurt, sick or injured I was. Just one of the 75000 reasons he is now an EX-husband.

LW3 If its a real tattoo that was done in a licensed establishment, chances are that the niece is at least 18 and therefore legally an adult.

I think its the law in most states that they have to be 18 and in some states 16 with parental consent - in writing.

So, if she's an "adult" there's little recourse for her mother beyond yelling at her, telling he it was a "stupid" idea, etc,. etc., etc.

My son came home with his first tattoo recently. It was done by a friend with a homemade tattoo gun, India ink....just like the old days. Wish he would have waited, I would have paid for it at a shop. But he's "21 yanno," and he knows everything now. Yanno?
mimi

Seattle, WA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 21, 2008

Lucy wrote:
Quite!
pugglewuggle

Tucson, AZ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 21, 2008

LW: It doesn't matter whether she was feeling well or not, a request for a snack is not too much to ask, especially when he is already in the kitchen making something for himself. If his response was out of character, chalk it up to testosterone poisoning after a day of football and the boys.
pde

Vandalia, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 22, 2008

MsPixie wrote:
<quoted text>
Are we quite sure it was even her period? People with Chron's (my boyfriend) or ulcerative colitis (my mother) regularly get terrible cramps, and my mom says that before she started getting treated for it, the pain was worse than labor contractions.
Heck, I get digestive pains worse than my labor contractions regularly (and no epidural here for labor). But after multiple different tests and doctors--"you have bad gas, take an antacid, regularly."

Unfortunately, antacids just make it all worse.
James Bond

Baltimore, MD

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 22, 2008

It must of been some very awful food! Yuk!
Whatever

Fort Lauderdale, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 22, 2008

#1 - Tell your friend her cooking sucks. Then that friend will dump you and not have to worry about being a good hostess for your sorry rude self.

#2 - If you haven't figured out how to manipulate him by now you never will. Get a divorce. Please don't ever have kids or they will walk all over you, too.

#3 - MYOB. It's her problem. Let her deal with her OWN mother. You are not her mother.

Merry Freaking Christmas.
Linda

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 22, 2008

I have found that adding a dose of white pepper to no-fat food will make it taste normal. The writer might want to carry some with her when she visits the friends' house.
pathetic

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 27, 2008

Truth wrote:
<quoted text>
Boy, you sound like a prince of a guy. Let me guess - single and can't figure out why no woman wants to be around you. Talk about pathetic.
Ha! First off I'm a happily married woman with horrible cramps, where I'm basically bedridden for a day. I'm sorry after giving birth twice, if I asked husband to make me something because I wasn't feeling well and he didn't, then I would remind him of all the stuff I do for him and then let him know that I won't do a darn thing until I get my grilled cheese sandwich. She was being passive aggressive, and I'm sorry that doesn't solve anything. Maybe the guy's just a jerk. Maybe they need counseling, but instead I'll write an advice columnist over something so petty! So yeah, pathetic and boo'freakin' hoo!

“An Apple a day”

Level 6

Since: Jun 08

nil carborundum illegitemi

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 8, 2014

Huh?

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

41 Users are viewing the Orlando Forum right now

Search the Orlando Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 3 min lily boca raton fl 1,082,696
Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds ... (Dec '08) 28 min SpaceBlues 45,857
Review: Clear Sky Financial LLC 31 min Samuel Lewis 6
Cher Calvin (Nov '08) 48 min Ron Wells 19
CASEY: Does the State Have the Goods to Convict? (Mar '10) 1 hr AN other 484,277
Tips to finding a roofing contractor (May '09) 2 hr Courtney Galler 4
What life is like for Casey Anthony 2 hr RetiredProfessional 50
•••
•••
•••
•••

Orlando Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Orlando People Search