Couple don't like friend's cooking

Full story: Chicago Tribune

Dear Amy: My husband and I are very friendly with a couple whom we enjoy very much.

Comments (Page 2)

Showing posts 21 - 40 of53
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
smallest loser

Waterbury, CT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 20, 2008

I didn't think your reply to Friend in Need was helpful. I would have searched for healthy recipes that the other couple would like and offer them by saying "Look at this recipe I found , it looks scrumptious and I thought of you!" this way the not so great cook will be able to expand her repertoire and will enjoy trying new thinsg.
Clara

Portland, OR

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 20, 2008

Beth wrote:
Why don't you think about making a couple of dishes and bringing them with you? It's rude to go to someone's house empty-handed anyway, and then you can take some of everything but eat the majority of your own dish.
I disagree with your "it's rude to go to someon's house empty-handed". When I plan a dinner menu I don't want other people bringing food they think/insist I serve. It is my party and my choice. If you want what you fixed, stay home.
yellowdoggie

Oklahoma City, OK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 20, 2008

Judged:

Clara wrote:
<quoted text>
I disagree with your "it's rude to go to someon's house empty-handed". When I plan a dinner menu I don't want other people bringing food they think/insist I serve. It is my party and my choice. If you want what you fixed, stay home.
She was right about one thing. You should take something, but that something should be flowers, wine, or a little token to say "thank you" to the hostess. I agree that bringing food is just plain tacky. Unless it's a pot-luck, leave the food at home.
Truth

Intercession City, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 20, 2008

pathetic wrote:
LW2....Are you kidding me?
Boofreakin'hoo. Did he know you had cramps? If he did, then did you tell him that because you had them that you were requesting something? I assume not. Maybe he forgot, maybe he was just cheating on you. Who the eff knows. Speak up! You're married and if you can't tell your spouse your feelings then the marriage is doomed! Instead of the "silent treatment" maybe you should just divorce the ****!
Boy, you sound like a prince of a guy. Let me guess - single and can't figure out why no woman wants to be around you. Talk about pathetic.
MsPixie

Black River Falls, WI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 20, 2008

LW1 - Sound greedy, picky, and rude. Just suck it up---it's really not that hard.

LW2 - What a jerk. Weird if he's normally nice to you otherwise. Maybe he thought that cramping pain isn't really that bad. I know that when I get pain in my lower abdomen, it's nearly impossible to walk. My boyfriend has Chron's disease, so he sympathizes with me completely when this happens, because it happens to him, too. And I sympathize with him ten as well.

LW3 - Why don't we get to see the link?
MsPixie

Black River Falls, WI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 20, 2008

yellowdoggie wrote:
<quoted text>
She was right about one thing. You should take something, but that something should be flowers, wine, or a little token to say "thank you" to the hostess. I agree that bringing food is just plain tacky. Unless it's a pot-luck, leave the food at home.
I agree. Bringing food is like saying "here's something good, since all your stuff will suck."

I remember my sister's friend bringing a plate of brownies to a slumber party my parents were hosting. She wouldn't allow my parents to pick her daughter up, and when she dropped her kid off she handed the treats to my mom and said something about it would be nice for the kids to have a treat at the party. Like my parents can't entertain.:P
MsPixie

Black River Falls, WI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 20, 2008

I'm sorry, my sister's friend's MOTHER. **** :)
MsPixie

Black River Falls, WI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 20, 2008

smallest loser wrote:
I didn't think your reply to Friend in Need was helpful. I would have searched for healthy recipes that the other couple would like and offer them by saying "Look at this recipe I found , it looks scrumptious and I thought of you!" this way the not so great cook will be able to expand her repertoire and will enjoy trying new thinsg.
Especially at this time of year, you could get a fat-free/healthy cookbook for her Christmas present, and just say something about how you thought she would enjoy it. Easy and not insulting at all!:)
MsPixie

Black River Falls, WI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 20, 2008

Judged:

Iris wrote:
Although her mind was good, she developed other habits in the kitchen that I never saw earlier. When we would call her on one, she would say no one ever got sick. My older brother started telling her that he and his wife had and she still wouldn't believe it. She didn't and at 82 still doesn't take kindly to any suggestions of inferiority.
I don't know any solution for the LW other than what Amy said. I dreaded going to her house.
Something somewhat similar happened with my grandmother, although her mind is not good. I noticed her one day licking her fingers (practically her whole hand!) when she was cooking, and I asked her about it, and she got really angry with me. I overheard her tell my grandpa a few minutes later that it was no wonder I had no friends since I was such a brat.:(

Now I just avoid eating things that she cooks whenever possible, lol.
spork

Westmont, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 20, 2008

AngelaMN wrote:
...maybe get them a nice low-fat/fat-free cookbook.....
My thought EXACTLY.

I've eaten plenty of tasty low-fat/fat-free meals.

Buy the friend a cookbook.

“Joy is the shadow cast by pain”

Level 1

Since: Dec 08

Twin Cities, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 20, 2008

yellowdoggie wrote:
The best husband in the world will occasionally act like a horse's ****.
Perfect. Brilliant. and the best wife in the world will occasionally act the same as the aforementioned husband.

I love that you said this in such an easy-to-accept way. Thank you.

Level 1

Twin Cities, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 20, 2008

yellowdoggie wrote:
<quoted text>
Actually, etiquette dictates that you bring NOTHING to a dinner party. Nothing at all. No wine, no dessert, no side dish, etc. And if you insist on bringing something, it is for the host to use at later date/time.
ex-ferrerman

Mount Prospect, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 20, 2008

I'm getting hungry. This didn't help
Bruce

Chicago, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 20, 2008

Tell them their low fat food sucks & walk out of their house.

“An Apple a day”

Level 6

Since: Jun 08

nil carborundum illegitemi

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 20, 2008

spork wrote:
<quoted text>
My thought EXACTLY.
I've eaten plenty of tasty low-fat/fat-free meals.
Buy the friend a cookbook.
Hey girlie!
give me a break

Forest Park, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 20, 2008

Judged:

LW1: perhaps the low-fat (healthy!) food tastes bad to you because you're used to eating unhealthy fatty crap? try cooking more of your own lower fat foods and you'll get more used to eating things that are actually good for you.
LW2: i used to get cramps so bad i would be vomiting for a few days every month, but guess what? i still fended for myself and didn't try to make anybody else do stuff for my lazy butt, my dog wasn't going to walk himself. also, laying around makes cramps worse, walking, moving and doing active things eases them so you don't have to sit and whine for 2 days.
LW3: somebody else's tattoo is none of your business. who cares if her mother knows about it? it's her body and she can do whatever she wants with it.
Mia

Chicago, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 20, 2008

LW1 - I am ashamed to say that my standards are very low. I can't remember ever having accepted a dinner invitation because I expectd the food to be good. I can't remember feeling indignant if the food wasn't good.

LW2 - I think you know what page your husband is on. You weren't sick, you were having your period. If you want him to understand how bad you felt, take a ball bat and gouge it right into his abdomen...about every 2 minutes for 2 or 3 days.

Level 1

Twin Cities, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 20, 2008

Mia wrote:
LW1 - I am ashamed to say that my standards are very low. I can't remember ever having accepted a dinner invitation because I expectd the food to be good. I can't remember feeling indignant if the food wasn't good..
Mia, I literally laughed out loud at this. I loved the honesty. Loved it.

Level 1

Twin Cities, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 20, 2008

Mia wrote:
LW2 - I think you know what page your husband is on. You weren't sick, you were having your period. If you want him to understand how bad you felt, take a ball bat and gouge it right into his abdomen...about every 2 minutes for 2 or 3 days.
I should have saved my comment until I read your entire post.

Mia, today I needed this humor more than anything. Layoffs and office closings this week at work, my friend snagged the cute guy I had my eye on, and I left my debit card in the ATM in downtown Minneapolis tonight, so I have to change things like... my mortgage autopay.

Please be funny tomorrow as well. Thank you in advance for your cooperation.
~Mgmt
Mia

Chicago, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 20, 2008

LW3 - Do you think she got her tatoo there because she considers it private territory? Naaa. I imagine she'll be brandishing it before the mother, the world and God.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 21 - 40 of53
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

49 Users are viewing the Orlando Forum right now

Search the Orlando Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 4 min Buroc Millhouse Obama 1,078,567
CASEY: Does the State Have the Goods to Convict? (Mar '10) 6 min Murphey_Law 483,706
Join Mr Wawrzyniak In Filing A Federal Law Suit... 1 hr SaveUsa 1
Disney Prove Mr Wawrzyniak Wrong Show The Evide... 3 hr SaveUsa 1
What life is like for Casey Anthony 5 hr Lon Spector 31
FL August 23 Florida Primary Election: Will you vote? (Aug '10) 6 hr August primary 2,384
Casey Anthony maintains baby sitter was not fab... 6 hr Lon Spector 131
•••
•••
•••
Orlando Dating

more search filters

less search filters

•••

Orlando Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••