'Extreme Makeover: Home Edition' Surp...

'Extreme Makeover: Home Edition' Surprises Suffield Family

There are 215 comments on the Hartford Courant story from Jun 22, 2009, titled 'Extreme Makeover: Home Edition' Surprises Suffield Family. In it, Hartford Courant reports that:

Ty Pennington, center, team leader for ABC's Extreme Makeover Home Edition, throws his arms in the air as an army of volunteers approach the Suffield home of Catherine Hill, far right, and her husband William Hill, middle, next to Pennington.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Hartford Courant.

First Prev
of 11
Next Last
The fam

Concord, CA

#230 Jul 22, 2009
Zoiks wrote:
I'm happy for the Hill family - I am not happy that the Cauley parents dropped the ball after spitting out 7 kids - I take it that doesn't bother you liberals at all - I must remember that irresponsibility is a virtue to you liberals
YOU SHOULD NOT BE WORRIED ABOUT ANY OTHER BUSINESS BUT YOUR OWN...MY FAMILY IS HAPPY AND WOULD OF BEEN HAPPY AND WHOLE WITHOUT THE NEW HOUSE,YOU DID NOT HAVE ANY RESPONSIBILITY TO SAY ANY THING ABOUT (THINGS) YOU DON'T AND WON'T KNOW ABOUT...JUST KNOW THEY MADE IT THROUGH AND WILL KEEP STRIVING I AM A CAULEY WE ARE A BIG FAMILY AND WHEN ONE PERSON CAN'T HANDLE IT WE HAVE RELATIVES WHO WILL STEP IN (NO PROBLEM) SO RELAX AND MIND YOUR BIZ,GET A HOBBY..COMMEN SENSE IS NOT YOUR BEST QUALITY (FROM A NIECE)
THE FAM

United States

#231 Jul 22, 2009
Great Googley Moogley wrote:
<quoted text>
You went THERE. Wow.
<quoted text>
You are entitled to your opinion and point of view, but once I read this response, I divest myself entirely of anything else you have to say from here on. You're saying that you DON'T hate blacks, yet as a race, statistically, "they are a bad bet". I should hope that in my lifetime, neither I nor my children be exposed in person to views such as yours.
In the event that the unexpected and unfortunate should occur, I as well am legally armed and prepared for my own defense.
I only pray that I never need to arrive to that conclusion.
THATS RIGHT! I LOVE BEING BLACK WOULD NOT (LIKE) IT ANY OTHER WAY...THIS WA NEVER A RASIST OF RACE ISSUE IT'S ABOUT GIVING AND LIVING YOUR OWN LIFE. WHO CARES WHO HAS WHAT GET A HOBBY AND FOCUS ON YOUR OWN! MY FAMILY DOES NOT DESERVE FOR THERE HAPPINESS TO BE A TOPIC OF IGNORANCE! LOVE BLACK BEAUTIFUL (QUEEN) HA! HA!
THE FAM

United States

#232 Jul 22, 2009
Tina wrote:
<quoted text>
You Clearly have no idea who this family is NOR do you have any compassion. This family has done so much for the community, I know BRANDON personally and he is an amazing person. I think its okay for him to want seeing he consistantly is giving. If you dont have nice things to write why do you even waste your time? Also, growing up in suffield i can tell you no mini mansion is going to stick out, what stuck out was that this family needed help and a new HOUSE. They already have a home in there hearts and in all that they do. God Bless the Hills!
(BRANDON IS MY COUSIN AND YOU SHOULD HAVE SOMETHING BETTER TO DO THAN TO BE ALL UP ON HIS S***.... You might live close to my family and is just mad that you house looks dumb now,just be happy someone got a blessing even if it's not you (ignorance won't get you no where)
THE FAM

United States

#233 Jul 22, 2009
MANCHESTER wrote:
<quoted text>I so agree with you!!!!
I also agree it makes me want to scream all over this blog (stop hating on my family) it's so much evil in the world ,just because there's a good thing happening for someone else) I'm proud of my family and i know they are having a (great) night rest!!!!! stop stressing over other peoples (happiness)! Congrats to my family love youuuuuuuuuu!
THE FAM

United States

#234 Jul 22, 2009
Oh Puhleeeze wrote:
11 sons??? Did this man and his wife not know about birth control? This planet is already overburdened with too many inhabitants. As for a 5500 sq ft house, give me a break. You could give 2 -3 families large homes for that one house. Typical examples of American over consumption and greed.
shut up you are so lost,you have no clue what your talking about
Zoiks

Somers, CT

#235 Jul 22, 2009
I'm still not happy with the Cauley parents for having 7 kids and then the old man ends up in the can. That's irresponsible. I'm sure SOME form of public aide is being doled out as a result of that irresponsiblility: be it food stamps, free college, something. I'm positive of it. That is what I'm not happy with. I'm not unhappy with the Hills or the Cauley kids. Just the Cauley parents. Period.
co-worker

East Haddam, CT

#236 Jul 22, 2009
The poor woman whose husband kidnapped her, held her hostage with a gun to her head while she was handcuffed to a pipe or other fixture in the house....escaped, and then watched her house burn down (the second one he did this to), and then found out he had not kept up with the homeowner's insurance is much more deserving. That's worse than fire "damage". That woman truly is homeless now on absolutely no accord of her own. Where are you now Extreme Makeover Home Edition??????
Lipstick on a pig

United States

#237 Jul 23, 2009
Another makeover sucess story.
Check out the home done last year in Bridgeport Ct. where the teen daughter was recently arrested for carjacking at 1:00 a.m. The makeover really transformed that crew....Is the other daughter going to nursing school? Or was it too hard?

The truth is not pretty- no matter how much you try to dress it up.
Zoiks

Somers, CT

#238 Jul 23, 2009
Well said
penguin

Hartford, CT

#239 Jul 23, 2009
let's wait and see, let's hope this family does really well and the kids grow up to be outstanding citizens. What happens in one family doesn't have to happen in another. We need some happy stories!
Chief Wiggums

United States

#240 Jul 23, 2009
Word up.
Some do take advantage of help and turn over a new leaf. I know I would have been grateful for any help my family got.
They should look to the future with a glass now 3/4 full & look to better themselves & then help others.
Zoiks

Somers, CT

#241 Jul 23, 2009
Yes. I wish the Hill family the best. I do not know them but I live in their town and EVERYONE I've talked to says nothing but good things about them.
ChristinaLynn829

AOL

#243 Oct 11, 2009
Sorry but if half those who live there over 18 took part time jobs, they could have built a larger home. More than half of those kids will be gone in a year or so and NO, this does not warrant an extreme home makeover. All of those people were strong but not one had taken the time to put a tile down on the old floor or build on an extra room. They didn't deserve this home at all. I raised my kids, my nieces and nephews and still will never take a dime I don't earn. This show should help people with true life tragedy and this family's only tragedy was failure to get off their butts and repair their own home.
Maybe

South Hadley, MA

#244 Nov 10, 2009
Contractors I know who worked on the home were called back out there recently to repaint the walls because they did not like the color, patch up holes in walls from who knows what, and repair plumbing. From what was heard, that a good number of the children have police records longer than you can imagine. Sounds like one deserving family to me!
miss l

Methuen, MA

#245 Feb 7, 2014
I am so disgusted right now @ all of u who r judging the cauley family acting like u know them saying they dont derserve it. First of all they are a wonderful family I have met most of them. I went to highschool with & knew Stacey, Larry, Brandon & Will. Stacey & I were good friends. The family did deserve this. U have no right to say what they deserve. Who cares if they were on wellfare or not, it doesnt matter. & how can u say the ones who were over 18 should have helped out & layed down a tile blah blah. When u were 18 did u have a good income? If ur going to school & working part time @ minimum wage (minimum during th@ time) ur making $100 or less a wk. & Suffield is not a town with public transportion or with many job opportunities. For most students in Suffield u have to go across the river for a job.
What matters is th@ a husband & wife took in 7 nieces & nephews so they could grow up w/their loving family instead of ending up in the system seperated. A wonderful loving happy family. They have been through more than u know & despite all they have been through they re always happy & loving/caring towards others. So if u have nothing nice to say then why do u feel the need to be so cruel & say ne thing @ all?
RIP Larry

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 11
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Orlando Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 6 min flack 1,382,515
News Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds ... (Dec '08) 13 min Patriot AKA Bozo 59,456
News Suspect Had Quit Rehab (Mar '08) 43 min Ken Burke 135
Has Casey Anthony Had Sex with Jose Baez (Jun '11) 3 hr bigjohnson321 159
News Missing 5-year-old Florida girl likely was abdu... (Feb '09) 5 hr zazz 98,043
Inspiration Lane - Don't Quit (May '09) 6 hr Milee 73,636
CASEY: Does the State Have the Goods to Convict? (Mar '10) 8 hr Murphey_Law 513,233
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Orlando Mortgages