'Extreme Makeover: Home Edition' Surp...

'Extreme Makeover: Home Edition' Surprises Suffield Family

There are 215 comments on the Hartford Courant story from Jun 22, 2009, titled 'Extreme Makeover: Home Edition' Surprises Suffield Family. In it, Hartford Courant reports that:

Ty Pennington, center, team leader for ABC's Extreme Makeover Home Edition, throws his arms in the air as an army of volunteers approach the Suffield home of Catherine Hill, far right, and her husband William Hill, middle, next to Pennington.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Hartford Courant.

First Prev
of 11
Next Last
Alicia

Bristol, CT

#1 Jun 22, 2009
Congrats to the family! Sounds lilke they deserve it!
Sean

Cromwell, CT

#2 Jun 22, 2009
Wait till they see their increase in property taxes and utility bills. If they were struggling with that original house - how are they going to maintain this new one.
What about the taxes

Storrs Mansfield, CT

#4 Jun 22, 2009
I imagine their taxes will be pretty high on a house that size in CT. Will they be able to afford to live there once its built?
Oy Vey

Newington, CT

#5 Jun 22, 2009
I'm glad the family will get some help from the show. They sound very deserving. But like Sean, I worry about the oversized homes the show builds and the residual effects on the families, who are struggling. 5,500 sq ft is ginormous. Maintenance costs will rise accordingly. I would urge the folks at Extreme Makeover to be more prudent in designing these homes and make them more practical for the families, and less an opportunity for the builders to showcase their talents.
Cindy

Hartford, CT

#6 Jun 22, 2009
"It's exciting, but I don't even care what my new room looks like, as long as it has a TV and an Xbox," said Brandon Cauley

What a sense of entitlement this young man has!!! Guess he's watched the show enough to know that they're not just getting housing....

I liked this show the first season, when they actually MADE OVER people's homes. Now all they do is tear them down and build mansions in their place. Ever notice how they rarely show a shot of the neighborhood any more, especially during the reveal? That's because these mansions probably stick out like sore thumbs!
For the money they spend on these huge houses and the custom decorating, several worthy and needy families could be put into simpler, decent housing.
Virginia-ish

Woodbridge, VA

#7 Jun 22, 2009
Wow!!! Don't ya just love the negative comments from people who live in "liberal state" like CT...uh..is this a little envy? showing through? I lived in Ct all my life, then moved..best thing I ever did... I know the Hill family...my kids went to school with the Hill kids and the cousins..my sons played football with the Hill boys and the Cauley boys...Mr and Mrs Hill never said a bad word about any one...oh and btw..Suffield is predominantly a white, affluent town to boot.yeah, taxes will be high...in my opinion, the Hills deserve this more than any family I have ever known...and the sense of entitlement issue?...not unlike many of the youth today, especially in CT.....and who cares if Ty Pennington is an A-hole..he's doing something extraordinary, for a very extraordinary family...Congrats Mr. and Mrs. Hill...I have always admired the two of you for all you have done for your kids and your nieces and nephews...
frank

Hartford, CT

#8 Jun 22, 2009
I work with Bill, there is no one I can think of who deserves this more, Bill is a generous, kind and caring man.
Reality Check

Hartford, CT

#9 Jun 22, 2009
I think this family is more than deserving and glad they chose a veteran to boot.

However, I do believe a more modest size home would be more prudent. I am not speaking of envy but reality! Look at the neighborhood. Is this size house allowed by local ordinances? And what about the upkeep after everyone walks away?

I wish this family all the best!
Greg elek

Arlington, VA

#10 Jun 22, 2009
Hi I was wondering me and my wife would like to help out but were not sure how u volenter
Sean

Cromwell, CT

#11 Jun 22, 2009
Virginia-ish wrote:
Wow!!! Don't ya just love the negative comments from people who live in "liberal state" like CT...uh..is this a little envy? showing through? I lived in Ct all my life, then moved..best thing I ever did... I know the Hill family...my kids went to school with the Hill kids and the cousins..my sons played football with the Hill boys and the Cauley boys...Mr and Mrs Hill never said a bad word about any one...oh and btw..Suffield is predominantly a white, affluent town to boot.yeah, taxes will be high...in my opinion, the Hills deserve this more than any family I have ever known...and the sense of entitlement issue?...not unlike many of the youth today, especially in CT.....and who cares if Ty Pennington is an A-hole..he's doing something extraordinary, for a very extraordinary family...Congrats Mr. and Mrs. Hill...I have always admired the two of you for all you have done for your kids and your nieces and nephews...
Most are not Negative comments, only Factual comments. Deserving or not - living outside your means is not a good situation.
Mr Common Sense

United States

#12 Jun 22, 2009
Here's a guy who's not only taking care of his own immediate family, but several nieces and nephews as well. Best of luck to them, but as others pointed out in a not so nice way I seriously suggest looking at the rise in costs of both taxes, and utilities, then adjust your monthly budget accordingly.
Suffield Resident

Groton, CT

#13 Jun 22, 2009
Sean wrote:
<quoted text>
Most are not Negative comments, only Factual comments. Deserving or not - living outside your means is not a good situation.
EXACTLY CORRECT, facts. Extreme Handout Home Edition is not what this family needs.
well

Hartford, CT

#14 Jun 22, 2009
Virginia-ish wrote:
very well said, i don't know the family but seems like they are deserving, there are episodes were the mortgage is paid off. there is going to be an imapct the taxes of course but hopefully they can hanlde it
Vic

Stafford Springs, CT

#15 Jun 22, 2009
What about the taxes wrote:
I imagine their taxes will be pretty high on a house that size in CT. Will they be able to afford to live there once its built?
They can always sell it like I am sure others have done. Plus in a few years when the kids are grown they won't need a house that large and will make a tidy profit when they downsize. But until then good luck to them taking care of their family. They seem like good people who can use the help.
love

Hartford, CT

#16 Jun 22, 2009
To the Hills
May the Lord continue to bless you. I'm sure you know where your true blessing are.
John

United States

#17 Jun 22, 2009
Virginia-ish wrote:
Well said, the negativity of the people in this state really gets me.
Pauldow

Suffield, CT

#18 Jun 22, 2009
We just had reevaluation in this town, and average teacher pay is going up 4.97%, and benefits are going up 6.7%. My property taxes are going up 7.3% even though I made no improvements since the last evaluation. I can just imagine what the change will be from their existing $200K house.

It appears the ABC people use a questionable loophole in the income tax laws where they rent the house for $50,000 for the week, and then claim the improvements to the house are in lieu of the $50K payment, even though it's worth much more. There's several articles available on this topic, but I haven't found an IRS opinion on it. Personally I'm in favor of the McMansions in town since their large tax payments pay more to the town than my house.

Also, I hate to be petty, but I see this too often. To the professional newspaper reporter who should be proficient in English: "There was another contingent, however, that could care less what kind of house is built." The correct phrase is "couldn't care less." Your sentence is saying the opposite of what you intended.
gladimme

Harwinton, CT

#19 Jun 22, 2009
I wish this family the best of luck. Nice to hear when something good happens to someone in this state.
Francesca

Hartford, CT

#20 Jun 22, 2009
I am sure this family is very deserving however Extremem Home Makeover needs to look down the road - If they build a 5500 square foot house in a 1500 square foot neighborhood - Who is going to buy it when the Hill's want to retire? I am sure many of these families would have been happy to have homes half the size. You folks are correct - no begrudges the Hill's but with the large house comes large bills and what about the resale?
Military Mom

Hartford, CT

#21 Jun 22, 2009
What a wonderful story. Congrats Hill Family. These are truly deserving people. I am sure they will share their new home with many. So pleased to see that Extreme Home picked a veteran.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 11
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Orlando Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 2 min Darren Wilson is ... 1,263,609
News Bush calls courtship of minority voters integra... 6 min xxxrayted 28
Let's Chat (Jan '12) 9 min Milee 18,337
News Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds ... (Dec '08) 21 min litesong 54,353
CASEY: Does the State Have the Goods to Convict? (Mar '10) 1 hr AN is me 501,472
News Call for arrest of watch captain who shot kid (Mar '12) 4 hr Grass 29,880
Inspiration Lane - Don't Quit (May '09) 9 hr LizW 72,446
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Orlando Mortgages