At least 30,000 felons eligible to vo...

At least 30,000 felons eligible to vote in Florida

There are 147 comments on the Orlando Sentinel story from Oct 14, 2008, titled At least 30,000 felons eligible to vote in Florida. In it, Orlando Sentinel reports that:

More than 30,000 Florida felons who by law should have been stripped of their right to vote remain registered to cast ballots in this presidential battleground state, a Sun Sentinel investigation has found.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Orlando Sentinel.

First Prev
of 8
Next Last
JGJ

Melbourne, FL

#150 Oct 16, 2008
doug wrote:
<quoted text>we dont base it on land area its how many people live there happens that your red states do not have large populations.
You can't reason with fools. He/she probably believes that Alaska has the most number of electoral votes.
Procurator

Orlando, FL

#151 Oct 16, 2008
doug wrote:
<quoted text>we dont base it on land area its how many people live there happens that your red states do not have large populations.
What do you consider large populations ? Florida and Texas are small population states ?
cantwejustgetalo ng

Tallahassee, FL

#152 Oct 16, 2008
JGJ wrote:
<quoted text>
You can't reason with fools. He/she probably believes that Alaska has the most number of electoral votes.
Exactly!!! That is why Democrats ignore all facts and common sense and go with emotion and "compassion".
Darwin

Somerset, NJ

#153 Oct 17, 2008
I have to say that the most salient, intelligent posts are from those that lean conservative. The others are emotional and with very little substance.
okboston

Prince George, VA

#154 Oct 20, 2008
otownnole wrote:
<quoted text>
The DOW rose to its highest level ever under Bush. I may be misunderstanding you but you seem to be giving credit to Clinton for exactly what happened under Bush. They went up real high and then they went down some.
You even say house values are too high and need to drop 15-25% before they stabilize. It doesn't take a genius to know if anything doubles in price in a couple years there is going to be a correction. If it is too good to be true, it probably is. It isn't Bushes fault that Americans are greedy and spent that money on things they didn't need. If they would have sat put, they would not be upside in their mortgage. If it wasn't for people not paying their mortgage, the stock market would not be on a roller coaster ride.
My mom, my 2 sister and my brother in law are nurses. They see people coming in writing down everyone's names who works at the hospital and comes into their family members room. They know they are going to sue before they get there. My sister had to testify at a trial where the family was suing over their family member getting a gastric bypass. Sad story, but surgery is risky, especially if you are in such bad shape, you need to get your stomach stapled to have a chance to live. My sister said the doctor didn't do anything wrong and I take her word on it. Doctors get their license suspended with 3 malpractice suits against them. It is true that lawsuits are driving up those costs, but you can believe what you want about that.
Takes my construction example. A law was passed in FL force whoever was suing over a construction defect to determine who was at fault first so they could not jut blindly sue every subcontractor. This only passed for residential buildings; apartment and townhome type buildings included. They know the insurance companies will settle at about $50,000, so they may as well get as many of those as they can. Well guess what happened? Commercial buildings were not covered by it and lawsuits related to commercial buildings went up 4 fold. I believe they have or are in the process getting the same type of laws passed for commercial buildings.
Who do you think pays for all these lawsuits? We all do, the cost is passed on to us.
The stock market: THe market was higher after 8 years of Clinton even with the Tech meltdown. At this time, under bush we are back at '98 levels of the market. While it went up under bush, it also fell under bush to a point where he is underwater in the stock market.

Housing: Where did the price of housing double in two years?

Medical suits: How much has medical insurance decreased since FL passed the law limiting awards? How much have medical costs reduced in FL since the law was passed? I still remember the insurance company having record earnings right after it passed.

BTW: I never stated that they don't add some, but it is certainly not at the level to be significant.

Construction Suits: The primary contractor should be the only one at fault. He should go after the sub-contractor if necessary. They just had a building collapse in Chesterfield, VA killing an insulation worker. It was found to have been lacking some bracing. Are you stating the family should not be able to sue?
okboston

Prince George, VA

#155 Oct 20, 2008
otownnole wrote:
<quoted text>
I also know of a case where a guy working for a plumbing company was driving home from work in his company truck. He stopped by a bar on the way home. He got drunk and drove home. He got in a wreck with the company vehicle.
Whose fault is that?
He sued for worker's compensation and won. I believe the judge used to be a worker's comp attorney. That is the biggest crock of BS I have heard. This company has to pay higher worker's comp rates now because of that. Who does that punish? All they other worker who will have less money put into their 401K, less money for raises etc.
I have another family member who works in this area. I don't think most people have a clue as to how much this costs businesses. It all gets passed on to us, the consumer.
Insurance pays most of these awards and has to re-coup these costs. You saw how the jury handled the OJ case, I am sure you can see what they are capable of when deciding medical malpractice cases. Who cares right? The family lost a loved one and someone should pay. I do have compassion, but we all pay for these and not all of them are legit. We also pay for business to prevent this from happening, because if it happens to them, many of them will be out of business.
Did you read the pants guy suing the dry-cleaner a while back? You can't just say it is BS and it goes away. He almost put them out of business.
I am well aware that juries make bad calls. I am not sure how to "fix" the system as it appears to be working. One thing we could do is to have a national database that tracks both those who are sued (in certain occupations) and those who are sueing.

And the guy sueing the dry-cleaner was a judge of all things.
Uber-Bro of the Unborn

Norfolk, VA

#156 Jun 5, 2014
Truth be Told wrote:
<quoted text>
Republican Criminals, just a few A's and B's
Abramoff, Jack
Adams, Tom
Adams, Jim
Aiken, Steve
Alishtari, Abdul Tawala Ibn Ali
Allen, Bob
Allen, Claude
Allen, Bill
Alonos, Miram
Anderson, Tom
Ankeney, Randal David
Aragoncillo, Leandro
Atchison, John David R.
Bakker, Jim
Barclay, Bruce
Barnes, Martin G.
Barter, Merrill Robert
Beaird, John
Bena, Parker J.
Beres, Lou
Beverage, Sam
Biggins, Bob
Binder, Alan
Bird, Calvin
Bland, Wilton Frederick
Blessing, Louis
Bloom, Philip H.
Blundell, Brian
Bobrick, Bill
Boggio, Scott
Botes, Stephan
Boylan, Joe
Brady, Kevin
Brock, Darrell
Broderick, Thomas
Brooks, Howard L.
Brown, Shawn
Bryan, John
Bundy, Ted
Burcham, Tom
Burghoff, Matthew
Burt, John Allen
Butler, John
at least Jimmy Bakker has paid his debt to society!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 8
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Orlando Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 1 min Teaman 1,620,060
News Phelps in hot water again: Swimmer apologizes a... (Feb '09) 1 min Fart Pool 210
News Missing 5-year-old Florida girl likely was abdu... (Feb '09) 3 hr zazz 98,551
___Justice For Caylee___Cont. (Feb '10) 14 hr lisa 25,612
New Game ***Last Word + 2 (Oct '11) 14 hr Princess Hey 13,071
CASEY: Does the State Have the Goods to Convict? (Mar '10) 17 hr ANGHARAD 514,152
keep a word----drop a word (Feb '11) 22 hr Princess Hey 19,710

Orlando Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Orlando Mortgages