At least 30,000 felons eligible to vo...

At least 30,000 felons eligible to vote in Florida

There are 147 comments on the Orlando Sentinel story from Oct 14, 2008, titled At least 30,000 felons eligible to vote in Florida. In it, Orlando Sentinel reports that:

More than 30,000 Florida felons who by law should have been stripped of their right to vote remain registered to cast ballots in this presidential battleground state, a Sun Sentinel investigation has found.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Orlando Sentinel.

First Prev
of 8
Next Last

Since: Oct 08

Orlando, FL

#1 Oct 14, 2008
Well Obama fans, this should make you happy. We all know the felons are democrats. What a shock.
Uncle Sam

Denver, CO

#2 Oct 14, 2008
Most of the criminals are registered Democrats
lake27

Tallahassee, FL

#3 Oct 14, 2008
Can you imagine the uproar if it had been republicans outnumbering democrats 2:1 in felons that can still vote? It would be portrayed as some kind of republican scandal to steal the presidency.
Harry Coverston

Sanford, FL

#4 Oct 14, 2008
"I affirm I am not a convicted felon"

Of course, no one should affirm such a thing. No one is reducible to the single worst thing they ever did. If the question asked whether one has ever been convicted of a felony, that woud be an answerable question.

If voting is a right, the state of Florida has the burden to show why a criminal offender who has completed their sentence should not vote. The desire to continue punishing people even after they have completed the sanctions courts have ordered says a lot more about the punitive people of our state than the criminals they would punish forever.
Redogg

Orlando, FL

#5 Oct 14, 2008
Uncle Sam wrote:
Most of the criminals are registered Democrats
How shocking.
Mew

Austin, TX

#6 Oct 14, 2008
I really don't understand why this issue is controversial. These people are citizens, regardless of whether or not they committed crimes and/or served time in jail. Of all the things criminals do, and of all the things we fear released felons will do, casting a ballot in an election should be the least of our concern. If anything, it's a relief for the simple reason that people who vote actually show some degree of concern.

“American Against Fascism”

Since: Apr 08

Central Florida

#7 Oct 14, 2008
The honor system? For criminals?
doug

Apopka, FL

#8 Oct 14, 2008
lake27 wrote:
Can you imagine the uproar if it had been republicans outnumbering democrats 2:1 in felons that can still vote? It would be portrayed as some kind of republican scandal to steal the presidency.
yes remeber 2000 when they used that company out of Texas to do this job and 20,000 where not allowed to vote who where innocent and never commited a felony. And 2004 when Jeb tried it again but fortunatly we where ready that time and had the court throw the bad list away. Seems the repubs are as dirty as anyone else when it comes to this.
Orlando Homegrown

Orlando, FL

#9 Oct 14, 2008
These felons that erroneously register to vote should be charged with falsifiying a governmental legal document and sent back to prison. As for these folks that are going around soliciting uneligible voters or signing them up on multiple registrations or registering people that are deceased need to be imprisoned also! It's called fraud!
JGJ

Melbourne, FL

#10 Oct 14, 2008
Well, if these individuals have paid their debt (s) to society, then why shouldn't they be allowed to vote? Why must they be punished forever?
maxdan

Apopka, FL

#11 Oct 14, 2008
Shouldn't someone be banned from running for public office for committing a felony such as bribery and extortion?
Like Sarah Palin, whose house was built by the same company that worked on the house of corrupt Alaska Sen. Ted Stevens, who is under indictment.
In exchange, the company got Palin's support to build the Wasilla sports complex. The only way Sarah Palin can reform government is by getting out of it.
Maria

Orlando, FL

#12 Oct 14, 2008
Redogg wrote:
<quoted text>
How shocking.
You should be on the Senate. Most of the politicians are committing crimes of some sort everyday they just have not been caught. They all claim to be these perfect people but over the years they disgust me. They are an organized Mafia.
Fed Up

AOL

#13 Oct 14, 2008
Felons and illegal immagrants are going to elect the next Prresident is this not a great country or what.
Orlando Homegrown

Orlando, FL

#14 Oct 14, 2008
Harry Coverston wrote:
Of course, no one should affirm such a thing. No one is reducible to the single worst thing they ever did. If the question asked whether one has ever been convicted of a felony, that woud be an answerable question.
If voting is a right, the state of Florida has the burden to show why a criminal offender who has completed their sentence should not vote. The desire to continue punishing people even after they have completed the sanctions courts have ordered says a lot more about the punitive people of our state than the criminals they would punish forever.
Quite obviously you are not familiar with the purpose behind this law. These felons are not banned from voting "Forever". They do have a waiting period after being released from prison (used to be 5 years) and if in fact they stay out of trouble during their waiting period then they can apply to have their voting privileges restored to them. The last thing we need or want heare in Florida are criminals in our voting boxes! So this law was designed to help prevent this from happening. The sad state of affairs is that the vast majority of convicted felons, once released from prison, go right back to their life of crime! Not all of course, but the waiting period is designed to weed out the ones that are really bad apples and those that really want to turn their lives around.
Diogenes

Huntsville, AL

#15 Oct 14, 2008
Harry Coverston wrote:
Can some of you put just a little more effort into using your brain?

You see, losing your rights when you are found guilty of felony acts IS part of the punishment. Should we swap that around and say "Okay, we are going to give you your rights back but we're going to make your prison sentence twice as long". Would that be okay?

The thought process evidently was that you had to do something more to criminals who were a burden on our society than just stick someone in prison for a time. And you talk about paying their debt to society? It's not something that's an exchange like when you're buying something in the store.

My opinion is that every person that knowingly commits a serious crime does not deserve to ever be allowed to vote again. They're lucky we allow them to stay in the U.S.
Grad Student

Boston, MA

#16 Oct 14, 2008
I think we can all agree that the process of giving felons clemancy is rather confusing. Of course, there are those out there that illegally get on the rosters, but in comparison, 30,000 is small compared to the size/population of our state. Lawmakers should do a better job of making the system run smoother so these kinds of errors don't happen. As far as there being more Democrats, the entire state has more Democrats. As you can see over the last two Presidential elections that it doesn't matter.
Bob

Allen, TX

#17 Oct 14, 2008
Republican Governor, Republican State, you only have yourselves to blame. You voted for them, they did nothing to prevent or remove them.
Oh and in April 2007 most had their right restored with the stroke of a pen.
TALLAHASSEE, Florida (Reuters)- Florida officials on Thursday voted to end the practice of stripping ex-criminal offenders of their civil rights, including the right to vote.

Florida is one of just three U.S. states, all in the Deep South, that have maintained long-standing constitutional barriers to restoring civil rights to those that have committed serious crimes, rights groups say.

Meeting in a special session, the Florida Clemency Board agreed by a 3-1 vote to allow some 950,000 ex-felons to automatically have their civil rights restored, removing a barrier that goes back 140 years.

The changed rules still require the state’s most serious offenders — murderers and sexual offenders — to undergo a formal review by the four-member panel led by Republican Gov. Charlie Crist.

“We must provide a system to allow these people to become productive members of society,” said Crist, invoking Passover and the Easter holidays as a time of forgiveness.

The vote pitted Crist against Attorney General Bill McCollum, also a Republican and the sole dissenter in the ruling, and is just one of a raft of ways in which Crist is distinguishing himself from his predecessor as governor.

So don't blame anyone but yourselves.
Rummy

Orlando, FL

#18 Oct 14, 2008
"Of the felons who registered with a party, Democrats outnumber Republicans more than 2-to-1."

I guess the democrats offer better prison meals....and cable tv!

drinkswiththegirls.com
Cathy

Orlando, FL

#19 Oct 14, 2008
My vote is worth as much as the crack whore down the street and the convicted felon. Somehow this just doesn't seem like it's good for society. Not to say my vote is all that special but people that bring nothing to society and just take from it (prison costs, crime, welfare, etc.) are becoming a majority and will vote for all the handouts they can get. This is not good for any society IMHO.

Since: Mar 08

Kissimmee, FL

#20 Oct 14, 2008
Oh wow.
What a big surprise 2:1 'democrats'.

Hmmmm

They seek out the felons. They seek out the young. They scare the old.

This party EXISTS because of 'stupid & lazy people'.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 8
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Orlando Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds ... (Dec '08) 5 min Earthling-1 58,859
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 6 min Time again 1,374,925
CASEY: Does the State Have the Goods to Convict? (Mar '10) 5 hr Murphey_Law 513,039
News Two DeLand middle schools on lockdown (Mar '09) 9 hr DWB 7
Change one letter game (Sep '11) 10 hr Princess Hey 3,037
Double Fun Word Game (Mar '11) 10 hr Princess Hey 13,038
last post wins! (Jul '11) 10 hr Princess Hey 5,937
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Orlando Mortgages