Disney forced to shut down anti-obesi...

Disney forced to shut down anti-obesity exhibit amid criticisms

There are 152 comments on the KSL-TV story from Mar 3, 2012, titled Disney forced to shut down anti-obesity exhibit amid criticisms. In it, KSL-TV reports that:

A soft launch at Epcot in Orlando, Florida for a new exhibit promoting healthy lifestyles in children was met with unexpectedly harsh criticism last month.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at KSL-TV.

First Prev
of 8
Next Last

Level 9

Since: Jun 11

Location hidden

#1 Mar 3, 2012
I see the PC police are out in force.
Mn fats

Colton, CA

#2 Mar 3, 2012
Lmao

“A Doctor Goes Where Needed”

Level 6

Since: Oct 11

Location hidden

#3 Mar 3, 2012
Really? The National Association to Advance Fat Acceptance?

What are these people ( Disney and NAAFA ) thinking? Bad food choices are helping to skyrocket the cost of Health Care in this country. The huge ( no pun intended ) increase in diabetes can be directly attributed to lousy food choices. Rather than have people make better choices and cure their diabetes - we just encourage them to medicate the symptoms.

Now I'm like every American in this country - I have many overweight friends and family members - so I'm not for promoting shaming people into eating properly - but to oppose educating children on a proper diet because they find that the way overweight people are being depicted is embarrassing? stupidiculous

Level 9

Location hidden

#4 Mar 3, 2012
I read this elsewhere, so I'm not claiming originality here. But I will adapt it to this conversation:

How about starting a group called

Fat
Acceptance
Training
And
Sensitivity
Supervision

Tired of Silly
Level 7

Since: Jan 12

Location hidden

#6 Mar 3, 2012
America Terrorist wrote:
<quoted text>Congress claims pizza in schools is a vegetable . This is crazy . On Jewish TV we see fat people like the show Mike and Molly . The fat slob who plays Molly was on the Jewish Oscars and she burp real loud . She laugh and said she didn't know what end it came out of . People are getting to fat . But many can't afford to eat healthy and many are depressed . America is under attack and being destroyed . Our kids don't get healthy school lunches . I know because I have visited many schools and it makes me sick to see what our children are eating . And the Jews have destroyed health care in America . All we see on TV are Heath care insurance ads and drug ads . Health care needs to be controlled and non profit . Plus we need jobs in America . Jews who undermined millions of skilled jobs in America . Jews invested 19 billion dollars in Mexico last year for manufacturing ??? Is this what the tax break was for ? HELL NO ! Open your eyes America is under attack and being destroyed . The Jews control our already crooked Government ! Have a nice weekend !
God, you're stupid. And stay away from schools, PERVERT. How about the lazy ass parents provide the lunches for their spawn? How about they quit asking the taxpayers to feed their brats? Oh, and what's YOUR excuse for that fat gut, Ronny? Were you stealing school lunches while you ogled little girls? Eat some more cheetos, fatboy.

Level 6

Location hidden

#10 Mar 4, 2012
America Terrorist wrote:
<quoted text>Congress claims pizza in schools is a vegetable . This is crazy . On Jewish TV we see fat people like the show Mike and Molly . The fat slob who plays Molly was on the Jewish Oscars and she burp real loud . She laugh and said she didn't know what end it came out of . People are getting to fat . But many can't afford to eat healthy and many are depressed . America is under attack and being destroyed . Our kids don't get healthy school lunches . I know because I have visited many schools and it makes me sick to see what our children are eating . And the Jews have destroyed health care in America . All we see on TV are Heath care insurance ads and drug ads . Health care needs to be controlled and non profit . Plus we need jobs in America . Jews who undermined millions of skilled jobs in America . Jews invested 19 billion dollars in Mexico last year for manufacturing ??? Is this what the tax break was for ? HELL NO ! Open your eyes America is under attack and being destroyed . The Jews control our already crooked Government ! Have a nice weekend !

Is "Jews" some of of politically correct code for capitalists? Seems to me that just about every single problem you've laid out is caused by our own greed.

Well, except Mike and Molly - which might promote acceptance of overweight people but hardly displays them as role models for our eating habits.

Are you certain you ever got off the last ride you took at Disneyworld? You seem to still be 'spinning'.

Level 6

Location hidden

#11 Mar 4, 2012
Tired of Silly wrote:
<quoted text>
God, you're stupid. And stay away from schools, PERVERT. How about the lazy ass parents provide the lunches for their spawn? How about they quit asking the taxpayers to feed their brats? Oh, and what's YOUR excuse for that fat gut, Ronny? Were you stealing school lunches while you ogled little girls? Eat some more cheetos, fatboy.

It isn't a matter of the taxpayers paying for children's food at school - most parents either send lunches with their kids or pay for the school lunches out of their own pocket. Problem is most schools don't care about nutrition. They sell cheap crap and stock vending machines with junk and soda to increase their income. Not a good start for our children.

I guess even an ignorant bigot can stumble across a valid point once in a while.

Tired of Silly
Level 7

Location hidden

#12 Mar 4, 2012
America Terrorist wrote:
<quoted text> We have money to kill people overseas why not feed our children . If we had the 64 billion dollars this Jew Madoff rob from America and our people we could feed a lot of children . Millions of Americanscare struggling . Over 40% of the children in Erie Co Pa are living in poverty . Hey but the USA invested 19 billion dollars in Mexico last year . Before you run our people into the ground get a education first !
You have no education, and not enough intelligence to ever comprehend education. You're a stupid man, and you're SO stupid that you display your lack of education and intelligence EVERY DAY. People should feed their OWN children. Period. Can't feed 'em, don't breed 'em!

Tired of Silly
Level 7

Location hidden

#13 Mar 4, 2012
Robert L Lorth wrote:
<quoted text>
It isn't a matter of the taxpayers paying for children's food at school - most parents either send lunches with their kids or pay for the school lunches out of their own pocket. Problem is most schools don't care about nutrition. They sell cheap crap and stock vending machines with junk and soda to increase their income. Not a good start for our children.
I guess even an ignorant bigot can stumble across a valid point once in a while.
I disagree that the matter of taxpayers paying for children's food in public schools isn't a HUGE issue. In a quick google, the most recent stats I found were old, from 2007, and in that year taxpayers spent 8.7 billion dollars to feed 30.5 million children food that their parents should have provided. Free food for the spawn of irresponsible parents is just another handout program that takes the responsibility away from where it belongs and gives it to the taxpayers. Given the volume and the expense of feeding these kids, is is surprising that "cheap" food is served? Beggars can't be choosers as my grandma used to say.

Tired of Silly
Level 7

Location hidden

#14 Mar 4, 2012
Robert L Lorth wrote:
<quoted text>
Is "Jews" some of of politically correct code for capitalists? Seems to me that just about every single problem you've laid out is caused by our own greed.
Well, except Mike and Molly - which might promote acceptance of overweight people but hardly displays them as role models for our eating habits.
Are you certain you ever got off the last ride you took at Disneyworld? You seem to still be 'spinning'.
No, Ronnie really hates Jews. And blacks, and hispanics, and people who aren't convicted felons, and cops, and people who are more successful than him (pretty much everyone), and people who are happy, and people who don't cheat on their spouses........the list of people that Ronny hates is endless. He's just a big ugly greasy bag of hatred.

Level 6

Location hidden

#15 Mar 4, 2012
Tired of Silly wrote:
<quoted text>
I disagree that the matter of taxpayers paying for children's food in public schools isn't a HUGE issue. In a quick google, the most recent stats I found were old, from 2007, and in that year taxpayers spent 8.7 billion dollars to feed 30.5 million children food that their parents should have provided. Free food for the spawn of irresponsible parents is just another handout program that takes the responsibility away from where it belongs and gives it to the taxpayers. Given the volume and the expense of feeding these kids, is is surprising that "cheap" food is served? Beggars can't be choosers as my grandma used to say.

People paying full price aren't beggars. They're getting ripped off a couple times - subsidizing others and getting crap for their hard earned money.

I don't have a problem with subsidizing lunches for kids whose parents are too poor to feed them properly - but the food provided should be of excellent nutritional value to a growing body. Feeding them crap is just going to cost us tons more down the road in health care costs.

That being said - when I googled to check your figures ( and found them to be accurate ), I also found several articles insinuating that a lot of the parents income isn't being verified and there are massive amounts of people who can afford to feed their kids taking advantage of the system. Costing literally several billion a year.
PETE

Palm Bay, FL

#16 Mar 4, 2012
America Terrorist wrote:
<quoted text> We have money to kill people overseas why not feed our children . If we had the 64 billion dollars this Jew Madoff rob from America and our people we could feed a lot of children . Millions of Americanscare struggling . Over 40% of the children in Erie Co Pa are living in poverty . Hey but the USA invested 19 billion dollars in Mexico last year . Before you run our people into the ground get a education first !
One has to love it when CRAZY Ron,the CONVICTED FELON,says "get a education first". LOL

Tired of Silly
Level 7

Location hidden

#17 Mar 4, 2012
Robert L Lorth wrote:
<quoted text>
People paying full price aren't beggars. They're getting ripped off a couple times - subsidizing others and getting crap for their hard earned money.
I don't have a problem with subsidizing lunches for kids whose parents are too poor to feed them properly - but the food provided should be of excellent nutritional value to a growing body. Feeding them crap is just going to cost us tons more down the road in health care costs.
That being said - when I googled to check your figures ( and found them to be accurate ), I also found several articles insinuating that a lot of the parents income isn't being verified and there are massive amounts of people who can afford to feed their kids taking advantage of the system. Costing literally several billion a year.
I have a problem with paying to feed ANY kid whose parents should be held accountable for feeding him/her. I have a problem with ANY handout program. Of course there are lowlife parents taking advantage of handouts that they don't qualify for. NO ONE should qualify for handouts, period. That would solve the whole fraud issue, wouldn't it? If we MUST feed the little beggars because their idiot parents won't, a peanut butter sandwich, a glass of milk with an apple for dessert would be sufficient. Every day. Til their irresponsible parents get tired of their whining and decide to feed their own brats.
PETE

Palm Bay, FL

#21 Mar 4, 2012
America Terrorist wrote:
<quoted text> The people who were feeding your fat buddy Beary should have gone to prison ! LMAO
The above poster is CRAZY Ron the CONVICTED FELON. He has a long Record of LOW LIFE criminal activities

Level 6

Location hidden

#22 Mar 4, 2012
Tired of Silly wrote:
<quoted text>
I have a problem with paying to feed ANY kid whose parents should be held accountable for feeding him/her. I have a problem with ANY handout program. Of course there are lowlife parents taking advantage of handouts that they don't qualify for. NO ONE should qualify for handouts, period. That would solve the whole fraud issue, wouldn't it? If we MUST feed the little beggars because their idiot parents won't, a peanut butter sandwich, a glass of milk with an apple for dessert would be sufficient. Every day. Til their irresponsible parents get tired of their whining and decide to feed their own brats.

As silly in your way as Ron is in his. Good day.

Tired of Silly
Level 7

Location hidden

#23 Mar 4, 2012
Robert L Lorth wrote:
<quoted text>
As silly in your way as Ron is in his. Good day.
You think wanting people to be held accountable is silly? Okay, then. Perhaps you don't mind paying for other people's kids. I do. We raised our own three and paid for everything they got, including their private school educations. All while paying taxes so that the genetic mishmashes created by the "poor people" could eat, go to school, be housed, and receive medical care. We're paying, out-of-pocket, for all three of them to go to college and grad school. I'm not complaining about anything we do for our own kids. We're doing what parents are supposed to do, and what we signed up for when we decided to have children. Why is it so much to ask that others do the same, and that if they can't afford to properly care for children, they refrain from having them?

Level 6

Location hidden

#24 Mar 4, 2012
Tired of Silly wrote:
<quoted text>
You think wanting people to be held accountable is silly? Okay, then. Perhaps you don't mind paying for other people's kids. I do. We raised our own three and paid for everything they got, including their private school educations. All while paying taxes so that the genetic mishmashes created by the "poor people" could eat, go to school, be housed, and receive medical care. We're paying, out-of-pocket, for all three of them to go to college and grad school. I'm not complaining about anything we do for our own kids. We're doing what parents are supposed to do, and what we signed up for when we decided to have children. Why is it so much to ask that others do the same, and that if they can't afford to properly care for children, they refrain from having them?

Believe it or not - not all children are as fortunate as your children were. I can give you dozens of instances where, through no fault of their own, children are put into situations where they do not have enough food to eat.

You don't live in a bubble. You live in a society. This particular society doesn't find it acceptable that "the little beggars" go hungry. I was almost expecting your post to end with - let them eat cake. It really wouldn't have looked out of place.

Level 9

Location hidden

#25 Mar 4, 2012
Robert L Lorth wrote:
<quoted text>
Believe it or not - not all children are as fortunate as your children were. I can give you dozens of instances where, through no fault of their own, children are put into situations where they do not have enough food to eat.
You don't live in a bubble. You live in a society. This particular society doesn't find it acceptable that "the little beggars" go hungry. I was almost expecting your post to end with - let them eat cake. It really wouldn't have looked out of place.
I don't think Tired is referring to families that have found themselves in hard times. I've debated this subject with her before and typically, she is referring to families who have been collecting from entitlement programs for generations. In those cases, I agree with her.

Level 6

Location hidden

#27 Mar 4, 2012
Charles R Darwin wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't think Tired is referring to families that have found themselves in hard times. I've debated this subject with her before and typically, she is referring to families who have been collecting from entitlement programs for generations. In those cases, I agree with her.

I appreciate the attempted clarification but I didn't get that impression from reading post #17.

Level 9

Location hidden

#29 Mar 4, 2012
Oooh, Ron fires the first shot at Lorth. Big surprise...

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 8
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Orlando Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 1 min Notliz 1,406,469
New Game ***Last Word + 2 (Oct '11) 6 min Princess Hey 12,696
News Almost one year since gay marriage ruling, LGBT... 39 min Frankie Rizzo 220
News Bono, Beyonce, Wonder, Springsteen, Usher lined... (Jan '09) 54 min MAXine Waters 6
News Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds ... (Dec '08) 1 hr Mothra 60,675
News FDA Signals Relaxing Gay Blood Donation Policy 2 hr DebraE 8
News Missing 5-year-old Florida girl likely was abdu... (Feb '09) 4 hr zazz 98,135

Orlando Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Orlando Mortgages