A Hillsboro Club stay is an exclusive experience

There are 20 comments on the South Florida Sun-Sentinel story from Jul 27, 2008, titled A Hillsboro Club stay is an exclusive experience. In it, South Florida Sun-Sentinel reports that:

The first thing one notices behind the gates of the Hillsboro Club is the quiet.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at South Florida Sun-Sentinel.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Mark_2100

United States

#3 Jul 28, 2008
Of course it is a nice place, been a member for years, why is this news.

Other nice clubs…

Ocean Reef

Lago Mar

Mar-A-Lago

Coral Ridge Yacht Club

Why not do a story on them

So nice to go somewhere where people don’t talk about gas prices, or the cost of milk.
lab-rat

Pompano Beach, FL

#7 Jul 28, 2008
Wow, nice place. How much do you think this advertisement disguised as a news story cost?
Concerned One

Miami, FL

#8 Jul 28, 2008
Oh my God, all of these clubs have to go away, when will people learn the dangers of exclusivity and pinky extensions? Oh, the horrors!!!
Laquishaniqua Jones

AOL

#10 Jul 28, 2008
Ise gwine tu join da club in da morning. Days gonna lik me ah bet.
HoBo

Chicago, IL

#12 Jul 28, 2008
Parents belong to Coral Ridge Yacht Club same thing need to be invited to join and then be "APPROVED" by the board Never saw a black other than the help.
Caddyshack Lives On

Ocala, FL

#14 Jul 28, 2008
not too many brothers yacht in south florida.
HoBo wrote:
Parents belong to Coral Ridge Yacht Club same thing need to be invited to join and then be "APPROVED" by the board Never saw a black other than the help.
gofer

Delray Beach, FL

#15 Jul 28, 2008
ggg wrote:
La tee frickin' dah!
OMG! I was thinking the same thing!
That and Try to imagine how little I care?
Taylorblue

Boca Raton, FL

#17 Jul 28, 2008
I wonder if these places only exist for the sole purpose of trying to improve the self-esteem of it's members. I pay less than $35 to gain access to South Beach, Red Reef, and Spanish River parks for the YEAR...beautiful beaches and lots of family fun. Want a nice meal? Plenty of nice restaurants to visit in the evenings after a fun day in the sun & sand. Any type of food you want...it's just a short drive away and in any price range you wish. I'm more than pleased with this arrangement. Why would someone pay $2900 per summer to visit a beach and eat some meals, except to be able to tell others, "I'm a Hillsboro Member". Are their self-esteems so low that they need this bragging-right to make themselves feel special? I don't know...maybe some people are impressed by it. Myself, I'd smile and think, "Obviously they have more money than brains...".
Just Passing Time

Boca Raton, FL

#19 Jul 28, 2008
"We don't judge people by their race, color or whatever," Dodge said.!!!!!!

Try to schedule a Bar/Bat Mitsva there, and you will see that "whatever" doesn't cover everybody!

THANK GOD!!!
OLD JEW FROM TAMARAC

Pompano Beach, FL

#20 Jul 28, 2008
I want to be a member too. My wife Sadie and I would fit in fine with these people. We can steal the Sweet and Low from the tables.
Mark1967

Coral Gables, FL

#21 Jul 28, 2008
I be comin in the service intrance wit all me other workin brotha's.
Mark_2100 wrote:
<quoted text>
Let me know when you are coming by so I can take pictures.
We could turn it into a black tie event.
You would not get past the gate, and there would be no need to call the Hillsboro Beach police as there is always one there.
DARK TOILET

Pompano Beach, FL

#22 Jul 28, 2008
Anony wrote:
"We don't judge people by their race, color or whatever," Dodge said.!!!!!!
Try to schedule a Bar/Bat Mitsva there, and you will see that "whatever" doesn't cover everybody!
Who the hell wants to hear all the whining and crying abou the fees and prices? You know how they are, especially if your one of them.
BRG

Lake Worth, FL

#25 Jul 28, 2008
Taylorblue wrote:
I wonder if these places only exist for the sole purpose of trying to improve the self-esteem of it's members. I pay less than $35 to gain access to South Beach, Red Reef, and Spanish River parks for the YEAR...beautiful beaches and lots of family fun. Want a nice meal? Plenty of nice restaurants to visit in the evenings after a fun day in the sun & sand. Any type of food you want...it's just a short drive away and in any price range you wish. I'm more than pleased with this arrangement. Why would someone pay $2900 per summer to visit a beach and eat some meals, except to be able to tell others, "I'm a Hillsboro Member". Are their self-esteems so low that they need this bragging-right to make themselves feel special? I don't know...maybe some people are impressed by it. Myself, I'd smile and think, "Obviously they have more money than brains...".
They happily pay the money to visit a place that doesn't have the likes of most of the people who post comments here. Isn't it amazing how haters never accomplish anything in life?
Sysiphus

AOL

#26 Jul 28, 2008
I joined for a Summer Membership ten years ago. The food sucked, the place was a dump, no better than any other 50 year old motel. I don't play tennis, so that didn't interest me. I can go to the beach for free, so what is the savings there? People from Hillsboro don't go there as they have all their ammenities at their mansions. The people who belong there are the uppity Doctors and Lawyers from Light House Point who want to flaunt it.

“Life's A Beach”

Level 1

Since: Jun 07

Pompano Beach

#27 Jul 28, 2008
My cousin got married here about 9 years ago. It's a beautiful club.
the RICH truth

United States

#28 Jul 28, 2008
Taylorblue wrote:
Why would someone pay 2900, so they dont have to deal with riff-raff like yourself and your mouthy family, if your a member here and can afford it, you have a little more class and WILL act like it, or be gone.
Same Old Shiite

Port Saint Joe, FL

#29 Jul 28, 2008
The Hillsboro Club is a beautiful, historic place. Wish someone would write a book that is just about the club, and not just a chapter in a book on Hillsboro Beach.
Reality Emerges

AOL

#30 Jul 28, 2008
Mark_2100 wrote:
Of course it is a nice place, been a member for years, why is this news.
Other nice clubs…
Ocean Reef
Lago Mar
Mar-A-Lago
Coral Ridge Yacht Club
Why not do a story on them
So nice to go somewhere where people don’t talk about gas prices, or the cost of milk.
OMG...so snobbish-sounding...you must be "new money", because "old money" wouldn't stoop to these type of remarks, thank G__!
Mr Pupi

United States

#31 Jul 29, 2008
You horrible Little People, we pay the "Fee" to keep you, your families
and the likes of you away from us.
Everybody at the Club knows how to use silverware - do you?(well maybe the HELP don't know). So PLEASE go to
your public parks that WE build for you and enjoy. Happy littering !!!!
Jerry

Palm Beach Gardens, FL

#32 Jul 29, 2008
If local politicians are allowed in then it attracts a lot of riff raff. A 16 year old girl was raped there by a guest a few years ago/ Which Kennedy was it?

Maybe schmatta boy Robert Wexler can claims he lives there.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Orlando Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 3 min John Galt 1,223,446
CASEY: Does the State Have the Goods to Convict? (Mar '10) 4 min RealBenjam in 496,687
News Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds ... (Dec '08) 15 min mdbuilder 52,984
keep a word----drop a word (Feb '11) 1 hr Red_Forman 17,723
Inspiration Lane - Don't Quit (May '09) 2 hr Murph 71,744
Let's Chat (Jan '12) 3 hr Wiley_Kyote 18,118
Double Fun Word Game (Mar '11) 10 hr Red_Forman 12,471
More from around the web

Orlando People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]