Florida town strips individuals, auti...

Florida town strips individuals, autistic boy of right to keep backyard chickens

There are 6 comments on the BizPacReview.com story from Dec 9, 2013, titled Florida town strips individuals, autistic boy of right to keep backyard chickens. In it, BizPacReview.com reports that:

In a move its own mayor called a suppression of individual rights , a Volusia County town voted last week to end a pilot program that allowed residents to raise chickens in backyard coops, forcing a couple to choose between obeying the town and keeping animals they say have helped an autistic son.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at BizPacReview.com.

Jflintom

Lexington, SC

#1 Dec 9, 2013
There are exceptions to the rules....Make a common sense decision for a change!
MammaMoody

North Fort Myers, FL

#2 Dec 9, 2013
It is shocking to me that a city council would not want to see the success and growth of an autistic child. Have any of the neighbors complained? Have their been an issues with this boy keeping the chickens? It looked like to me that they had adequate cages set up and a large enough yard for the chickens. This is just another way a government group is suppressing the rights of individuals. If I lived in Debary, I would vote this entire council out of office, the first chance that I got. I fully support this family to do whatever is necessary to help their child overcome his disability! The council member that said this is "not about J.J., it's about chickens" is ridiculously mistaken! It's all about J.J. and his wellbeing. Set up guidelines for housing the chickens, limit the quantity, etc. but this council should allow the chickens.
BCochran

Birmingham, MI

#3 Dec 9, 2013
The council should change the laws for the well being of J.J. It is only a few chickens.
MammaMoody wrote:
It is shocking to me that a city council would not want to see the success and growth of an autistic child. Have any of the neighbors complained? Have their been an issues with this boy keeping the chickens? It looked like to me that they had adequate cages set up and a large enough yard for the chickens. This is just another way a government group is suppressing the rights of individuals. If I lived in Debary, I would vote this entire council out of office, the first chance that I got. I fully support this family to do whatever is necessary to help their child overcome his disability! The council member that said this is "not about J.J., it's about chickens" is ridiculously mistaken! It's all about J.J. and his wellbeing. Set up guidelines for housing the chickens, limit the quantity, etc. but this council should allow the chickens.
BCochran

Birmingham, MI

#4 Dec 9, 2013
The council should make an exception for J.J and other children like him.
RPerry

United States

#5 Dec 9, 2013
This is totally absurd!! Hometown atmosphere? Certainly not in DeBary, Fl! The council member who said, "This is not about J.J." needs to remove his brain and clear the lint from it. It is ALL about J.J. and his wellbeing. The citizens of DeBary need to protest their council's attitude. And they need to praise their mayor for taking a stand for this family, and particularly for this little boy who NEEDS his pets for his therapy.
Morton

Sanford, FL

#6 Dec 10, 2013
The City councilmember is named Koval and he was OUSTED in a recent election.

Look at the city council meeting located on film at DebaryPOP.com .

Debary is not a very nice town at all....we have a city council full of donkeys

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Orlando Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 2 min moshx 1,480,826
Double Fun Word Game (Mar '11) 58 min Princess Hey 13,131
News Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds ... (Dec '08) 1 hr Mothra 62,932
News Judge's brother, a convicted murderer, is back ... (Mar '08) 1 hr The Peoples Media 103
News Scientists say they have proved climate change ... (Dec '08) 2 hr Into The Night 7,993
News Dear Pharmacist: Candida causes many disorders (May '09) 2 hr healer 15
News Consumer help: Gym contracts, ripoffs (May '09) 6 hr Kids got touched 16

Orlando Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Orlando Mortgages