Which love comes first: Spouse or cou...

Which love comes first: Spouse or country?

There are 976 comments on the Orlando Sentinel story from Apr 3, 2009, titled Which love comes first: Spouse or country?. In it, Orlando Sentinel reports that:

Eric Stephenson and Absalon Figueroa collect balloons from a going-away party as they prepare this week to move from Orlando to Canada.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Orlando Sentinel.

First Prev
of 49
Next Last

“American Against Fascism”

Since: Apr 08

Central Florida

#1 Apr 4, 2009
In the end, equality will prevail.
BVLian

Winter Park, FL

#3 Apr 4, 2009
So say we all.
dvdinorl

Orlando, FL

#4 Apr 4, 2009
Interesting that the racial purist is a poor speller - proving the link between ignorance and intolerance.

Does anyone really believe that if society disallows gay marriage/civil unions, same sex couples will go away?
Lyndtv

Converse, TX

#6 Apr 4, 2009
auroranorth wrote:
<quoted text>
Racial Purity is America's Secuirty
I think that was Hitler's reasoning also.
John

Daytona Beach, FL

#7 Apr 4, 2009
Regardless of what the voting public have said, their voices will be ignored. Just give them all what they want, Uncle Obama will ultimately give everyone what they want. This country is no longer run by the people, for the people. Our country is on a downward slop with this president and congress.
hmmm

Sanford, FL

#8 Apr 4, 2009
OK, I am a single public school teachers and I want to know how ballet dancers can afford a fancy two-story apartment like that with hardwood floors and leather furniture.
The Answer

Orlando, FL

#9 Apr 4, 2009
hmmm ... I'm guessing the gay guy has 'friends' that help him out with interior design. It's not free, but the payment is physical in nature.
lynnette

Lamoni, IA

#10 Apr 4, 2009
BVLian wrote:
So say we all.
a reply to 31, I assume. shows us why we have to hit reply button, before we agree without being specific enough!
lynnette

Lamoni, IA

#11 Apr 4, 2009
#1 - caps didn't take.

Watching Eagle

“ON THE PROWL”

Level 1

Since: Jul 08

El Paso, TX

#12 Apr 4, 2009
dvdinorl wrote:
Interesting that the racial purist is a poor speller - proving the link between ignorance and intolerance.
Does anyone really believe that if society disallows gay marriage/civil unions, same sex couples will go away?
To answer your question No..

I have no problem with civil unions first off..
This article is more a immigration issue, I don't feel sorry for anyone who enters a relationship knowing one day it will end when the time comes.. I don't see a reason why they can't go back to their home country and re-apply.. Yea there might be a time that their apart but no need to change any laws..IMO

Eagle
Crack Smoking President

Ferndale, FL

#13 Apr 4, 2009
Once Again..........
WE THE PEOPLE of Florida have spoken by voting..........
No "gay" marriages!!!!!!!!!!

Time for you to GO HOME..........

Now 13 million out of work......
Change YOU can believe in!!!!!!!

“You Asked For It”

Since: Nov 07

Rossevelt Roads Naval Base

#14 Apr 4, 2009
Let them get married....they swap partners so much, our divorce courts will be overwhelmed! The first lesbian couple to marry in Boston has already filed for divorce! I have nothing against gay's, but beware of what you ask for...Alimony, give half of what is yours to your ex....I say let them! As for the slantinel, this being news...go figure!!! wonder why it is going broke!
lynnette

Lamoni, IA

#16 Apr 4, 2009
hmmm wrote:
OK, I am a single public school teachers and I want to know how ballet dancers can afford a fancy two-story apartment like that with hardwood floors and leather furniture.
Are you jealous? do you convey that sort of resentful attitude toward your students? are you a good teacher, opr are you protected by the the shortage of teachrs and other protections for second-rate teachers? do you have nay resentment toward the high paid professional athletes - or only the artistic ones, the dancers? do you have any resentment toward over-paid ceo's and other executives who ran the US financial system into the ground? are you some sort of anti-gay bigot who thinks dance is sissy, or something? there is so much hate-speech on this topic, from the ultra-right. do you endorse their views?if so, you should not be a teachre - wht do you teach? drivers' ed? just curious whast sort of attitudrews you are hiding behind that comment!

Watching Eagle

“ON THE PROWL”

Level 1

Since: Jul 08

El Paso, TX

#17 Apr 4, 2009
Dark Avenger wrote:
Let them get married....they swap partners so much, our divorce courts will be overwhelmed! The first lesbian couple to marry in Boston has already filed for divorce! I have nothing against gay's, but beware of what you ask for...Alimony, give half of what is yours to your ex....I say let them! As for the slantinel, this being news...go figure!!! wonder why it is going broke!
Ha ha
I agree Dark..
Thats our hometown paper for ya.. I only read some on-line I would never waste my money on it..

Eagle
lynnette

Lamoni, IA

#18 Apr 4, 2009
on pbs Sat am, there are 3 travel programs which I watch - now it is Vienna, before it was France and Holland. Americans are so insular! and so many white Americans are so narrowly racist. and candidly, too many other ethnic groups are too inward looking, witt too much of their own culture, and not enough interest in the big world.
Stan Madray

Orlando, FL

#19 Apr 4, 2009
We should be ashamed that any American would have to leave our country to legally be with the person they love. The United States government recognizes marriages from every nation and country as long as they are heterosexual marriages.

We need to change these laws to allow ALL Americans equal rights, protections and privilages as provide by the constitution.
red

Europe

#20 Apr 4, 2009
no matter what is said men marrying men is not right, marriage was solely between man and woman,these days its hard to explain to children why men marry men and women marry women, it is not right full stop.
DXF35

Cocoa, FL

#23 Apr 4, 2009
Dark Avenger wrote:
They swap partners so much?! What does that mean you ignorant idiot? Did I miss the sentence in the article where they were quoted as saying they swap partners? I'm gay & let's see...nope don't recall ever swapping partners or desiring to. As a matter of fact, I don't even like dating or casual sex or whatever "swapping" you are trying to infer...prefer a life together with the one I love. As a matter of fact, in my circle of friends, the gay couples are the committed ones & the straight ones have open relationships. Hoe people choose to live out their lives & define their relationship is their business, not yours or anyone else's. As long as they don't infringe on anyone else's rights or impose danger to anyone then let them live how they wish. And if you really want to get down to pointing the finger how about let's talk about all the straight couples that get married on a whim in Vegas or married just to gain citizenship. Don't see ya barking your judgments towards them. You say you have nothing against gays but your degrading comments that this isn't news worthy & that homosexuals are partner swapping says otherwise.
Move along now

San Antonio, TX

#24 Apr 4, 2009
This is an immigration matter.

And a Canadian doesn't have any kind of right to have a Canadian marriage recognized nor to enter the country.

Someone can ASK Congress for a CHANGE to the law. But the courts have no business declaring that non-citizens have an inalienable right to U.S. citizenship, for any reason.
DXF35

Cocoa, FL

#25 Apr 4, 2009
red wrote:
no matter what is said men marrying men is not right, marriage was solely between man and woman,these days its hard to explain to children why men marry men and women marry women, it is not right full stop.
Who says? Just b/c you don't like it doesn't mean it shouldn't be right. I don't believe everyone in this world should have the right to have children b/c you heterosexuals are doing such a fine job of raising them but you don't see me trying to force my beliefs on anyone? Let people live their lives as they wish or just go to a country where you are ALWAYS told how to live, work & behave.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 49
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Orlando Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 5 min RiccardoFire 1,745,284
CASEY: Does the State Have the Goods to Convict? (Mar '10) 11 min fortmyersf 517,060
last post wins! (Jul '11) 19 hr Princess Hey 6,084
___Justice For Caylee___Cont. (Feb '10) Sat lisa 25,653
News Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds ... (Dec '08) Sat STEAMY FARTS 64,570
News Missing 5-year-old Florida girl likely was abdu... (Feb '09) Sat zazz 98,709
News 2010 Florida Governor Race Election Results a "... (Nov '10) Sat The Peoples Media 3,138

Orlando Jobs

Personal Finance

Orlando Mortgages