Televangelist Joel Osteen shuns lavish lifestyle, visits Orland...

Nov 29, 2007 Read more: Orlando Sentinel 333
If the evangelical world is looking for a poster child to offset the negative publicity surrounding rich televangelists, Joel Osteen would be a good choice. Read more
Dizzee Rascal

Rochester, NH

#47 Nov 29, 2007
Reading this article made me feel good.
Rose

Orlando, FL

#48 Nov 29, 2007
jrs wrote:
Think about how sad and hypicritical christianity has become, Jesus is rolling over in his grave! I wouldn't give one penny to this garbage and one question where does the collection and donation money go anyway does anyone really know?
Um, Jesus isn't in a grave.
Mark W

Orlando, FL

#49 Nov 29, 2007
I seldom have ever watched a TV preacher especially after the Jim and Tammy Faye scandles. They all seemed like such complete phonies. Begging, crying, and all the time wearing Rolex and Gucci. I caught a broadcast of Joel Osteen and was really impressed. Others in my family have also found him inspirational. I even bought his latest book for my 15 year old daughter. Truely a real person among so many fakes out for your money.
Shane

United States

#50 Nov 29, 2007
Joel Osteen is the best of teaching God's word and applying it to real life situations, having yourself in control.
just saying

United States

#51 Nov 29, 2007
Teresa Hoover wrote:
Joel Olsteen is a very reputable evangelist and your article regarding his modest life style is excellent. However, I feel that attempts by this paper and Sen Charles Grassely to denigrate the reputations of six evangelists because they live in what people believe to be lavish lifestyles are erroneous and based on ignorance of biblical doctrine. Too many people in the world and in the church have this unfounded belief that people called to the ministry need to live in poverty and lack. This is not true. Jesus was not a beggar nor was He poor. He had many followers giving into his ministry. He had a treasurer assigned to give money to the poor. Unfortunately he was a thief and a traitor.
These evangelists do more in carrying the gospel of Jesus Christ to the may parts of this nation and the world than most other christians in this nation. They are on the go most of the year fulfilling their ministry. They have the need of transportation sufficient to taked them to their destinations. They have the right to live in a style that brings comfort and security to them. No one attacks CEO's of large corporations for their luxurious lifestyles or their use of corporate jets to travel to their meetings and various events.
I support these evangelists with my money and my prayers and in no way do I feel that my donations are being abused. I believe that the people who are complaining about these people need to follow in the footsteps of these evangelists for a while and minister to the needs of the church and the world in the manner that is performed by them. These evangelists do not detract from the Gospel of Jesus Christ. They fulfill it in the lives and lifestyles
it must be nice to live a life of complete ignorance. many of these evangelists tell people to live a live of poverty and to be fathful to their spouses...while many of these leaches are visiting hookers and living not the "good life" but the "fabulous life". so...keep mailing them your money...they need to make their BMW payment
Tietrack

Danville, KY

#52 Nov 29, 2007
Well yeah but his million dollar mansion in Houston isn't exactly a cardboard box. Theology lite. Feel good religion for those who want easy "salvation" with no sacrafice.
Tietrack

Danville, KY

#53 Nov 29, 2007
Dizzee Rascal wrote:
Reading this article made me feel good.
lol. Feel good religion with no responsibility. I rest my case.
two bit

Jericho, VT

#54 Nov 29, 2007
Helen Kellerski wrote:
I'm unable to see why people don't realize that this is all false crap to sell tickets.
Thank you!!! Boy PT Barnum would be proud!! This guys got The Perfet scam!! He manages to ask for money Without Asking!!! It Never fails to anaze me just how Stupid people are!!
Has anyone ever checked into Just
does the money get used for?? Are there homeless shelters? Or Food pantrys or drug rehabs?? Whats being done with these funds? Expansion to get more funds??
Also i waswondering been a while sinced i moved, what Did happen to that building on i 4 that other idiot was building? People when will you Learn You Can't Buy Your way into Heaven!!! You want to give? give to a respectable Charity!! That actually does Some Good!!! This guy is no different than the other pickpockets
Wake up

De Leon Springs, FL

#55 Nov 29, 2007
The man is a fraud, like every other religious huckster who cons people into thinking that there is some mysterious entity in the sky who will reward them for being "good", and damned them to hell if they step out of line.

The world would be much better off without religion.
I dont get it

Miami, FL

#56 Nov 29, 2007
Why would any preacher charge admission for someone to hear the word of God. The word is free for all. This is what makes them look shaddy. I understand accepting donations but to charge admission is just wrong.

I never go to church anymore. The last time I did, there was a guest preacher and he actually said if anyone wanted a blessing, you needed to come to the pulpit with a check. I could not believe it. You had to buy a blessing.

Now I just stay home and read my bible by myself.
Howard Johnson

United States

#57 Nov 29, 2007
While Mr. Osteen's comparatively frugal lifestyle is commendable, his 'message' shares one overriding characteristic with all the others; that is, it's out of touch with the reality that most human beings experience.
One can look at TV images of his well-fed congregation and wonder why they are satisfied with the philosophical baby food which he offers. In common with less reputable televangelists, he does almost nothing to prepare his listeners to face the real, inevitable challenges of life.
Of course, there are many who do not believe that the best preparation is to be found in religion at all.

Paul
#58 Nov 29, 2007
Britt wrote:
<quoted text>
You took the words right out of my mouth. Although he is a wonderful and inspiring speaker; he does not preach about the life, death and resurrection of Jesus Christ--and that is what makes someone a preacher.
No offense, but this is also why he attracts so many people--he preaches about how great some person can be--not how great our God is.
God bless!
Have you ever been to the mans church? You see 30 minute messages on TV geared to help people walk a spiritual walk and live a Gidly life. You really don't know if every single message he preaches is like the ones you see on TV or if they do have times where the gospel is preached in totality. The church may do that in Sunday School or Life Groups (assuming they have them). But with all the negativity about religous ministers as a whole these days, it's nice to see something positive about someone for a change.
Lady D Stella

Lake Mary, FL

#59 Nov 29, 2007
I dont get it wrote:
Why would any preacher charge admission for someone to hear the word of God. The word is free for all. This is what makes them look shaddy. I understand accepting donations but to charge admission is just wrong.
I never go to church anymore. The last time I did, there was a guest preacher and he actually said if anyone wanted a blessing, you needed to come to the pulpit with a check. I could not believe it. You had to buy a blessing.
Now I just stay home and read my bible by myself.
It is your own personal relationship.
Rockwell

Collierville, TN

#60 Nov 29, 2007
he & his church are raking in millions & millions. where does it all go?????
Because He Lives

Bakersville, NC

#61 Nov 29, 2007
jrs wrote:
Think about how sad and hypicritical christianity has become, Jesus is rolling over in his grave! I wouldn't give one penny to this garbage and one question where does the collection and donation money go anyway does anyone really know?
Jesus is NOT "rolling over in his grave." He defeated death on the cross. Now you can defeat death, too! How? By giving your life to Him.
Terry

Columbus, OH

#62 Nov 29, 2007
Every single one of them on TV using it to make themselves money via donations, book deals, offerings at church, are a joke. Jesus would not and does not approve of this if he were here on earth .. just like the money changers he threw out of the church. The Church is not the Church anymore. We have fallen from grace and they are preaching feel good sermons and turned Jesus into a motivatonal tool to gain money ........ sickening ....
Terry

Columbus, OH

#63 Nov 29, 2007
HE DOES NOT TOUCH THE NORMAL PERSON .. HE DOESN'T EVEN TALK TO THEM MUCH LESS LIVE DAILY WITH THE EVERYDAY JOE .. HE IS ON A PEDASTAL AND HE IS THERE EVERY SUNDAY AND THEY COME TO HEAR HIM .. GOD HELP US WHAT IS WRONG WITH THESE PEOPLE .. 43 MILLION DOOLARS LAST YEAR AND 13 MILLION IN ADVANCE FOR A BOOK DEAL AND WHO KNOWS HOW MANY MILLIONS FROM ANY WHERE ELSE ... GOD JUDGES THEM AND I WOULD NOT WANT TO BE THEM.....
Haven

Hendersonville, TN

#64 Nov 29, 2007
Listen wrote:
At the end of his speech every week he encourages you to get into a good bible based church and follow the word of God. He is doing what he is lead to do, so what if its not in the traditional way, he gets the point across. Some people just love to complain. Get over yourselves!!!
Gee, he wouldn't be doing that in order to preserve his tax-exempt status, would he? He sounds like a motivational speaker who conveniently throws in "Jesus" to avoid paying taxes.
Gloom and Doom

Silver Spring, MD

#65 Nov 29, 2007
I bet he is rakeing it in from those collection plates. Not counting all the young women who need to be "Blessed".
What a guy.
Old Gator

United States

#66 Nov 29, 2007
"Jesus defeated death on the cross...."

Always look on the bright side of life
Da dum
Da dum da dum da dum da dum
Da dum
Da dum da dum da dum da dum....

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Orlando Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 4 min Holy Jumpin Jesus 1,216,947
News Is Jeb Bush Too Enthusiastic About Immigration? 5 min wild child 4
News Why is ISIS spreading? 8 min vib_ram 7
CASEY: Does the State Have the Goods to Convict? (Mar '10) 13 min vib_ram 495,675
Let's Chat (Jan '12) 50 min vib_ram 18,039
News Jewish Museum turns 20 2 hr tom wingo 26
News A Tonya Harding and Nancy Kerrigan museum? 2 hr tom wingo 16
Does the State have the goods 2# 3 hr ANGHARAD 4
More from around the web

Orlando People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]