Televangelist Joel Osteen shuns lavish lifestyle, visits Orland...

If the evangelical world is looking for a poster child to offset the negative publicity surrounding rich televangelists, Joel Osteen would be a good choice. Full Story
EBII

United States

#23 Nov 29, 2007
jrs wrote:
Think about how sad and hypicritical christianity has become, Jesus is rolling over in his grave! I wouldn't give one penny to this garbage and one question where does the collection and donation money go anyway does anyone really know?
JRS, Jesus is alive and in Heaven in bodily form sitting at the right hand of the Father on the throne. He is not dead in a grave
EBII

United States

#24 Nov 29, 2007
If a man does not emphasize the life death, burial, and ressurection of Jesus, the need for us to be saved from our sins, along with righteous living, then he is not someone that is preaching God's word, he is only a motivational speaker

Since: Aug 07

Orlando, FL

#25 Nov 29, 2007
jrs wrote:
Jesus is rolling over in his grave!
He is risen.
Truth

Orlando, FL

#26 Nov 29, 2007
Be The Miracle wrote:
Did anyone do ANY fact checking on this story? Joel Osteen lives in an 8 million dollar home! I'd say that's lavish by any definition of the word.
NOT TRUE. What ever his house is worth, he bought it BEFORE anyone knew who he was. Please let us know where you got your info.
leelee71

United States

#27 Nov 29, 2007
Teresa Hoover wrote:
Joel Olsteen is a very reputable evangelist and your article regarding his modest life style is excellent. However, I feel that attempts by this paper and Sen Charles Grassely to denigrate the reputations of six evangelists because they live in what people believe to be lavish lifestyles are erroneous and based on ignorance of biblical doctrine. Too many people in the world and in the church have this unfounded belief that people called to the ministry need to live in poverty and lack. This is not true. Jesus was not a beggar nor was He poor. He had many followers giving into his ministry. He had a treasurer assigned to give money to the poor. Unfortunately he was a thief and a traitor.
These evangelists do more in carrying the gospel of Jesus Christ to the may parts of this nation and the world than most other christians in this nation. They are on the go most of the year fulfilling their ministry. They have the need of transportation sufficient to taked them to their destinations. They have the right to live in a style that brings comfort and security to them. No one attacks CEO's of large corporations for their luxurious lifestyles or their use of corporate jets to travel to their meetings and various events.
I support these evangelists with my money and my prayers and in no way do I feel that my donations are being abused. I believe that the people who are complaining about these people need to follow in the footsteps of these evangelists for a while and minister to the needs of the church and the world in the manner that is performed by them. These evangelists do not detract from the Gospel of Jesus Christ. They fulfill it in the lives and lifestyles
The important difference between some of these CEOs and these "lavishly livin'" preachers is that churches are tax-exempt and many of these CEOs are not. This senator's attempt is to be sure that they are not enriching themselves by cheating IRS. If they are fleecing church finances and not paying taxes, they should be held accountable like every other American citizen. Now if their lifestyle is sustained by other ventures like books, then live fabulously if your checkbook allows and you are paying your taxes. HOWEVER, if your are living large from "donations", which equate in most cases to tax-exempt, you need an "audit".

“Gay Man here ”

Since: Mar 07

Daytona Beach

#28 Nov 29, 2007
I am sorry they're all crooks and I don't trust any of them.
Helen Kellerski

Melbourne, FL

#29 Nov 29, 2007
I'm unable to see why people don't realize that this is all false crap to sell tickets.
Roman Catholic

Boca Raton, FL

#30 Nov 29, 2007
I am a Roman Catholic and get turned off by megapreachers who make megamillions for themselves. Joel Osteen is different. I love to hear him speak. His message is simple God Loves Everyone. He has a way of bringing a message of love.
Peace of mind wrote:
I could listin to this man talk all night long. Just something about the way he speaks. But you right he is a motivational speaker.
Old Gator

United States

#31 Nov 29, 2007
Jesus didn't rise any more than he was a product of a virgin birth. That's all a load of superstitious baloney. His body was probably washed into an alluvial bed by a sudden cloudburst, covered with mud and fossilized. Sooner or later they'll find the bones, chip them out, pack them in plaster of paris casts and mount them like an allosaurus in one of those laugh-a-minute creationist museums that seem to be popping up like toadstools all over the south. If time is short, it's only in terms of some ridiculous creationist time scale - unless, that is, you're worried about the most dangerous Christian fascist fundamentalist ignoramus on the planet, our very own Moron-In-Chief, setting off WWIII with some lunatic strike on Iran.
cape cod joe

Ware, MA

#32 Nov 29, 2007
Joel changed my life on 1/2/05 at a very low point in my life.
I was channel surfing and just "by chance"> I think divine intervention> came across one of his programs. I was stunned and my life has never been the same again.
"Thank you God and thank you Joel Osteen."
Unfortunately I am unable to be in Orlando tonight or tomorrow to see him:(
Mr Cabicula

Irvine, KY

#33 Nov 29, 2007
I have learned over the years, how churches function. The so called messenger of God goes to the closest Publix supermarket, and asks for donated Cuban bread. He then brings the bread to the church, and gives it away. Later he tells the congregation that the donation of bread ministry is costing the church a lot of money, and that he needs to do a telethon to collect thousands of dollars for the bread donated by Publix ministry. Of course they dont tell the church that the bread has been donated.
I dont agree with what is said that Jesus was not poor. Jesus clearly emphasized that we who follow his word should not worry about material things on earth and for us to instead built our treasures in heaven.
Prosperity preachers are a bunch of wolves, this kind of preaching is not biblical, its bad practice, and its ruining the moral in this country.
It sends a confusing message to our youths, that if you do not prosper financially it means that the devil has taken over your life and is attacking you. However, you must give your ten percent anyway, because if you dont you will never break from the devils attack.
Yeah, I know who the devil is, its your bank account, your pockets full of money, that you use to buy playboy magazines for after the service, to pay for your trips to molest children in third world countries, to fill your big stomachs with foods from expensive restaurants, to stain the scriptures with all of the hipocrisy that comes out your ass. Amen
louie

United States

#34 Nov 29, 2007
I agree with CoolWhip--the message is there if you are listening and he has a down to earth way of getting it across. Too bad some only see the negative side of any issue.
Loyola

Orlando, FL

#35 Nov 29, 2007
Roman Catholic wrote:
I am a Roman Catholic and get turned off by megapreachers who make megamillions for themselves. Joel Osteen is different. I love to hear him speak. His message is simple God Loves Everyone. He has a way of bringing a message of love.
<quoted text>
----------
Is he different? He is similar to
some other "business people" making big, very big bucks money just talking about "Jesus".
The only difference - he is spending
his money not so fast!
RSV1

Nashville, TN

#36 Nov 29, 2007
Teresa Hoover wrote:
Joel Olsteen is a very reputable evangelist and your article regarding his modest life style is excellent. However, I feel that attempts by this paper and Sen Charles Grassely to denigrate the reputations of six evangelists because they live in what people believe to be lavish lifestyles are erroneous and based on ignorance of biblical doctrine. Too many people in the world and in the church have this unfounded belief that people called to the ministry need to live in poverty and lack. This is not true. Jesus was not a beggar nor was He poor. He had many followers giving into his ministry. He had a treasurer assigned to give money to the poor. Unfortunately he was a thief and a traitor.
These evangelists do more in carrying the gospel of Jesus Christ to the may parts of this nation and the world than most other christians in this nation. They are on the go most of the year fulfilling their ministry. They have the need of transportation sufficient to taked them to their destinations. They have the right to live in a style that brings comfort and security to them. No one attacks CEO's of large corporations for their luxurious lifestyles or their use of corporate jets to travel to their meetings and various events.
I support these evangelists with my money and my prayers and in no way do I feel that my donations are being abused. I believe that the people who are complaining about these people need to follow in the footsteps of these evangelists for a while and minister to the needs of the church and the world in the manner that is performed by them. These evangelists do not detract from the Gospel of Jesus Christ. They fulfill it in the lives and lifestyles
It's one thing to live a comparable life style but to drive Rolls Royce, live in million dollar mansions and wear thousand dollar outfit at the expense of those who are seeking true delivernce and enlightment in the Word of God? COme on alot of the congregation don't have cars but they faithfully give tithes and offering and the Televangelist can't even buy them a Ford Focus??
Blah Blah Blah

Washington, DC

#41 Nov 29, 2007
Listen wrote:
At the end of his speech every week he encourages you to get into a good bible based church and follow the word of God. He is doing what he is lead to do, so what if its not in the traditional way, he gets the point across. Some people just love to complain. Get over yourselves!!!
You're completely right, and I am the LAST person to listen to "super preacher" much less on TV, I left organized relgion behind 20 years ago because of the BS. But he is different, and whether he is catagorized as a preacher or modivational speaker, his messages are clear, concise, and relevant in today's world.
Ralph

Cocoa, FL

#42 Nov 29, 2007
How refreshing to know that such "religous" speakers appear to practice more biblical values.
buhk

Palo Alto, CA

#43 Nov 29, 2007
Teresa Hoover wrote:
Today's prosperity message is not "doctrine". There is very little theology in it. It is simply taking scripture out of context to give "itching ears" what they want to hear. How can anyone live a lavish lifestyle and be above reproach to this generation? How can you love money and be an example of Christ's serventhood? You can serve one or the other...but you can't pay homage to both God and Money.
Big JC

AOL

#44 Nov 29, 2007
I listen to Joel and read his first book, Your Best Life Now. His messages have helped me through some difficult times. I am a Jesus knowing born again Christian and I have benefited from Joel's sermons.
EBII

United States

#45 Nov 29, 2007
jrs wrote:
<quoted text>Jesus is alive and in bed with his father and some hooker having a three some. Just as idiotic as what you said!
God loves you and would not like to see you perish. I hope that your heart will soften and your eyes open that you can see God for woh He is. I will still pray for you. God Bless
buhk

Palo Alto, CA

#46 Nov 29, 2007
Mr Cabicula wrote:
I have learned over the years, how churches function. The so called messenger of God goes to the closest Publix supermarket, and asks for donated Cuban bread. He then brings the bread to the church, and gives it away. Later he tells the congregation that the donation of bread ministry is costing the church a lot of money, and that he needs to do a telethon to collect thousands of dollars for the bread donated by Publix ministry. Of course they dont tell the church that the bread has been donated.
I dont agree with what is said that Jesus was not poor. Jesus clearly emphasized that we who follow his word should not worry about material things on earth and for us to instead built our treasures in heaven.
Prosperity preachers are a bunch of wolves, this kind of preaching is not biblical, its bad practice, and its ruining the moral in this country.
It sends a confusing message to our youths, that if you do not prosper financially it means that the devil has taken over your life and is attacking you. However, you must give your ten percent anyway, because if you dont you will never break from the devils attack.
Yeah, I know who the devil is, its your bank account, your pockets full of money, that you use to buy playboy magazines for after the service, to pay for your trips to molest children in third world countries, to fill your big stomachs with foods from expensive restaurants, to stain the scriptures with all of the hipocrisy that comes out your ass. Amen
How do you really feel???- I know what you're saying. We are living in a time where it's difficult to find a church that is not digressing away from what Jesus really taught. The people who put faith in having no-faith have great evidence against churches. There will be many many people standing before Jesus saying "didn't we do this for you, and that for you" and Jesus will tell them where to go.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Orlando Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 7 min Realtime 1,141,890
Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds ... (Dec '08) 8 min SpaceBlues 48,434
CASEY: Does the State Have the Goods to Convict? (Mar '10) 19 min EXECUTE KID KILLE... 489,528
Missing 5-year-old Florida girl likely was abdu... (Feb '09) 5 hr Sami 96,560
Jodi Arias: Does the state have the goods to co... (Mar '13) 15 hr EXECUTE KID KILLE... 26,115
The alphabet (Jun '06) 18 hr Princess Hey 1,149
5000 post wins (Feb '13) 18 hr Princess Hey 4,295
Orlando Dating
Find my Match

Orlando People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Orlando News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Orlando

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]

NFL Latest News

Updated 8:29 am PST