Televangelist Joel Osteen shuns lavish lifestyle, visits Orland...

Full story: Orlando Sentinel

If the evangelical world is looking for a poster child to offset the negative publicity surrounding rich televangelists, Joel Osteen would be a good choice.

Comments

Showing posts 1 - 20 of327
< prev page
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
PBr

Hyattsville, MD

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 29, 2007

Judged:

This guy isn't a preacher; he's a motivational speaker.
SimpsonTruckDriv er

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 29, 2007

Exactly. On the notes of prosperity preaching, I have two examples:

1) On a broadcast, Benny Hinn talked about making good financial decisions. He then hyped a book for $80 that was probably worth $20, based on material in it.

2) Years ago, I watched a little bit of the telethon for the aptly-named "I-4 Eyesore". Right about the time they began losing money on it, they were asking for people to send in checks for thousands of dollars, saying God would repay them (with no real scriptural proof).

I admire the motivational speaker's simple life (compared to the multimillionares Hinn, Joyce Meyer, etc), but preachers use Jesus' name, motivational speakers may not.
Dave

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 29, 2007

He does open his broadcast every week with a prayer mentioning Jesus. Also, tickets for this appearance were $10 a pop. When's the last time anyone got into the arena for $10? He may not be all scripture, all the time, but it's not just a "go get rich" speech either.

“Smile...It Catches On !”

Level 1

Since: Dec 06

Somewhere Very Pretty !

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 29, 2007

PBr wrote:
I agree with you.

Research him though. Check things out. Some time back, they had to ask him and his family to get off a plane because his wife refused to sit in the seats they were given. She demanded better. Maybe he shuns it, but not his wife.
Sleepy

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 29, 2007

I agree with the rest. He is a motivational speaker/coach, which we need more people like him to speak to the young people of our country to be a postivite influence on them. He teaches simple stuff that makes sense. More of a "zen" kinda thing than the rest of the crazy televangelist nutty bunch that push Jesus to make a buck.
myself

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 29, 2007

o2bndisney wrote:
<quoted text>
I agree with you.
Research him though. Check things out. Some time back, they had to ask him and his family to get off a plane because his wife refused to sit in the seats they were given. She demanded better. Maybe he shuns it, but not his wife.
maybe there was gum on them
Peace of mind

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 29, 2007

I could listin to this man talk all night long. Just something about the way he speaks. But you right he is a motivational speaker.
Chester DeGrasse

Melbourne, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 29, 2007

I wonder whether he knows what he's saying he seems to be a wad of upbeat facial tics reading a script.

But if he isn't ripping off the elderly he deserves to be the best selling Christian.
What the

Apopka, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 29, 2007

How's that different than most, not all, but most American women? Do nothing with your life, then leach onto a man that's successful and then act like the world owe's for doing nothing with their own personal life. Thank God, I met an American women that isn't materialistic like 90% of them are.
o2bndisney wrote:
<quoted text>
I agree with you.
Teresa Hoover

Melbourne, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 29, 2007

Judged:

Joel Olsteen is a very reputable evangelist and your article regarding his modest life style is excellent. However, I feel that attempts by this paper and Sen Charles Grassely to denigrate the reputations of six evangelists because they live in what people believe to be lavish lifestyles are erroneous and based on ignorance of biblical doctrine. Too many people in the world and in the church have this unfounded belief that people called to the ministry need to live in poverty and lack. This is not true. Jesus was not a beggar nor was He poor. He had many followers giving into his ministry. He had a treasurer assigned to give money to the poor. Unfortunately he was a thief and a traitor.

These evangelists do more in carrying the gospel of Jesus Christ to the may parts of this nation and the world than most other christians in this nation. They are on the go most of the year fulfilling their ministry. They have the need of transportation sufficient to taked them to their destinations. They have the right to live in a style that brings comfort and security to them. No one attacks CEO's of large corporations for their luxurious lifestyles or their use of corporate jets to travel to their meetings and various events.

I support these evangelists with my money and my prayers and in no way do I feel that my donations are being abused. I believe that the people who are complaining about these people need to follow in the footsteps of these evangelists for a while and minister to the needs of the church and the world in the manner that is performed by them. These evangelists do not detract from the Gospel of Jesus Christ. They fulfill it in the lives and lifestyles
Be The Miracle

Oklahoma City, OK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 29, 2007

Judged:

Did anyone do ANY fact checking on this story? Joel Osteen lives in an 8 million dollar home! I'd say that's lavish by any definition of the word.
Listen

Lake Helen, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 29, 2007

At the end of his speech every week he encourages you to get into a good bible based church and follow the word of God. He is doing what he is lead to do, so what if its not in the traditional way, he gets the point across. Some people just love to complain. Get over yourselves!!!
What the

Apopka, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 29, 2007

He's an ordained minister, folks. So was his dad. It was his dad who was the pastor over the church, before Joel became the Pastor. Just because he's not one of the typical preachers fondling little boys (Catholic); one that's condeming Disney & gays (Baptists) or saying foreign leaders should be assasinated (Pat Roberts), doesn't mean his not a mainstream minister. Have any of you criticising actually watched one of his programs? He opens his sermon with a prayer; throughout he quotes the Bible and closes with a prayer. I'm sorry, how is that different than any other Pastor, in any church in America. I think people are caught in the mindset that if a pastor is not taking some sort of political stand, every Sunday morning then they're not really a teacher of God's word. I feel Joel gets so much flack, because he's positive and straight and to the point. Most people, today, just want to wallow in their own misery and expect to go to a church/pastor every Sunday morning that will only condone that mindset and behavior that's prevelant in our society, today. I was a skeptic of Joel, when I first started watching him, because in my mind anyone on t.v. that's not Billy Graham and preaching, is a crook-that's pretty obvious if you're not a simpel minded person. However, after watching many televised sermons Joel was preaching, I changed my perception of him. He's a positive pastor that ties everyday feelings by humans, with the word of God (Bible). If that makes him a motivational speaker, then great; at least it's based on the teachings of Jesus and God and not something materialistic.
Sleepy wrote:
I agree with the rest. He is a motivational speaker/coach, which we need more people like him to speak to the young people of our country to be a postivite influence on them. He teaches simple stuff that makes sense. More of a "zen" kinda thing than the rest of the crazy televangelist nutty bunch that push Jesus to make a buck.
Britt

Oldsmar, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 29, 2007

PBr wrote:
You took the words right out of my mouth. Although he is a wonderful and inspiring speaker; he does not preach about the life, death and resurrection of Jesus Christ--and that is what makes someone a preacher.

No offense, but this is also why he attracts so many people--he preaches about how great some person can be--not how great our God is.

God bless!

“RACE CARS, NOT DOGS”

Since: Jul 07

(currently) Central Florida

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 29, 2007

Teresa Hoover wrote:
Joel Olsteen is a very reputable evangelist and your article regarding his modest life style is excellent. However, I feel that attempts by this paper and Sen Charles Grassely to denigrate the reputations of six evangelists because they live in what people believe to be lavish lifestyles are erroneous and based on ignorance of biblical doctrine. Too many people in the world and in the church have this unfounded belief that people called to the ministry need to live in poverty and lack. This is not true. Jesus was not a beggar nor was He poor. He had many followers giving into his ministry. He had a treasurer assigned to give money to the poor. Unfortunately he was a thief and a traitor.
These evangelists do more in carrying the gospel of Jesus Christ to the may parts of this nation and the world than most other christians in this nation. They are on the go most of the year fulfilling their ministry. They have the need of transportation sufficient to taked them to their destinations. They have the right to live in a style that brings comfort and security to them. No one attacks CEO's of large corporations for their luxurious lifestyles or their use of corporate jets to travel to their meetings and various events.
I support these evangelists with my money and my prayers and in no way do I feel that my donations are being abused. I believe that the people who are complaining about these people need to follow in the footsteps of these evangelists for a while and minister to the needs of the church and the world in the manner that is performed by them. These evangelists do not detract from the Gospel of Jesus Christ. They fulfill it in the lives and lifestyles
These evangelists should be considered modern-day Pharisees... leaching the lifeblood and subverting the teachings of Jesus in order to personally prosper... talk about money-changers in the temple...
Snapped

Whittier, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 29, 2007

I wish the all the Magic tickets were only $10.00

Wow, I must be hallucinating....
crazyman

Orlando, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 29, 2007

$10.00 a ticket-wow this is what i would have paid in the 1970s. that is great. who in their right mind would pay thousands to see henry montatna (the young singer).
Dave wrote:
He does open his broadcast every week with a prayer mentioning Jesus. Also, tickets for this appearance were $10 a pop. When's the last time anyone got into the arena for $10? He may not be all scripture, all the time, but it's not just a "go get rich" speech either.
Cool Whip

Orlando, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 29, 2007

jrs wrote:
Think about how sad and hypicritical christianity has become, Jesus is rolling over in his grave! I wouldn't give one penny to this garbage and one question where does the collection and donation money go anyway does anyone really know?
When was the last time you read a Bible. Jesus is not in a grave. He rose three days after he was crucified. There are many Ministers of God. Who are we to judge which one is better. Time is short. We must all repent, and change our ways. I believe this man was sent by God to preach the Gospel. Every Minister has their own way of teaching. Stay Blessed.
jguy780

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 29, 2007

Thank God for Joel Osteen. A man of God who "gets it." If more so-called Christians would follow his example, the world would be a better place and our faith wouldn't be looked down upon by others as a religion of hate and intolerance. Joel truly lives "What Would Jesus Do."
Sarah 75

Orlando, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 29, 2007

crazyman wrote:
$10.00 a ticket-wow this is what i would have paid in the 1970s. that is great. who in their right mind would pay thousands to see henry montatna (the young singer).
<quoted text>
Do you mean Hannah Montana?

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 1 - 20 of327
< prev page
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

32 Users are viewing the Orlando Forum right now

Search the Orlando Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 4 min Jesus Christ 1,034,561
CASEY: Does the State Have the Goods to Convict? (Mar '10) 1 hr Caseyopathic clinic 478,306
doctor/walk in clinics 3 hr kim 2
Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds ... (Dec '08) 4 hr Mothra 43,021
2010 Florida Governor Race Election Results a "... (Nov '10) 6 hr heres de money 2,633
Missing 5-year-old Florida girl likely was abdu... (Feb '09) 6 hr EyeOfTheNewt 95,846
Let's Chat (Jan '12) 7 hr Murph 17,340
•••
•••
•••
•••

Orlando Jobs

•••
•••
•••

Orlando People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••