Ailing mother, daughter manage to liv...

Ailing mother, daughter manage to live without electricity

There are 5 comments on the Orlando Sentinel story from Dec 24, 2008, titled Ailing mother, daughter manage to live without electricity. In it, Orlando Sentinel reports that:

The quiet inside Linda Long's trailer is deafening. The heater isn't running. The television is silent.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Orlando Sentinel.

Juan

Ponte Vedra Beach, FL

#1 Dec 24, 2008
It's the American way. We spend billions on foreign wars and protect the world from evil empires, most are imagined. We spend trillions on space exploration while the rest of the world watch's and doesn't spend a dime. We spend Billions bailing out bad business endeavor's.We send Billions to foreign countries in the name of Aid.The rich get richer and the poor get poorer,it's the American way.
Whitey Critic

Fort Wayne, IN

#2 Dec 24, 2008
Juan wrote:
It's the American way. We spend billions on foreign wars and protect the world from evil empires, most are imagined. We spend trillions on space exploration while the rest of the world watch's and doesn't spend a dime. We spend Billions bailing out bad business endeavor's.We send Billions to foreign countries in the name of Aid.The rich get richer and the poor get poorer,it's the American way.
Juan, you didn't say anything about the check you are writing. You ARE writing one, aren't you? Or, are you being the typical American and criticizing without doing anything? I'm filling mine out now. Hope you will too.
Blah Blah Blah

Eustis, FL

#3 Dec 25, 2008
My checks in the mail....

Did I mention that I am one of those "evil, hateful, selfish and the list goes on.....Conservatives!

How about some of you left winger mailing a check too!

Or are you all more worried about to many trees being cut down or the forest rat going dying off......
Wintergirl

Spring, TX

#4 Aug 3, 2013
We lived without electricity for 72 hours after the hurricane. It was not that bad. I could do it all the time as long as I had some way to cook. Drinking water and eating food that comes in a bag (not cooked) makes you crave some take-out or a home-cooked meal. I'm glad I wasn't alive during the Depression.
Bed Head

Spring, TX

#5 Aug 24, 2013
We've learned to stock MREs and other food you don't have to have electricity/gas to cook. Once the refrigerator/freezers don't have power, you're SOL if you don't have ice. It's very scary how reliant we've become on grocery stores and gas/oil. There were no gas stations open after Ike. We should have evacuated, but they asked that people further North shelter in place so that the folks from Galveston and places closer in could have the roadways. Once the hurricane action starts, you literally don't know if you will live or die. The aftermath with no power is a little treacherous, especially if the water goes off which it did. I had water drawn up ahead of time so we'd have water to flush toilets and such.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Orlando Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 1 min Colonel Batguano 1,497,731
News Scientists say they have proved climate change ... (Dec '08) 1 hr Into The Night 8,007
News Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds ... (Dec '08) 1 hr JRB 63,373
News Hallmark Delivers a 'Christmas Card' (Nov '07) 3 hr Sarah 2nd Grade 86
two words (Jul '10) 4 hr Princess Hey 28,026
New Game ***Last Word + 2 (Oct '11) 4 hr Princess Hey 12,844
3 word game (Jan '11) 4 hr Princess Hey 14,146

Orlando Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Orlando Mortgages